Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2476654 times)

LEE

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #4000 on: 01 January, 2011, 01:21:02 am »
I can't bring myself to stab a hole in my barley I took delivery of today.   Might use the light loop too.

Lovely setup though

I've had a few Audax Badges pierce my Barley, it doesn't harm them.

Majorbloodnok

• its no good, we'll have to drink our way out of it
« Reply #4001 on: 01 January, 2011, 10:34:54 am »
Lee, what bracket are you using on the light on the seat stay?  Is it a bodge or purpose built?

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #4002 on: 01 January, 2011, 11:46:53 am »
Thank you!

The bars are these:

SILVER ALLOY NORTH ROAD COMFORT  BIKE /CYCLE HANDLEBARS on eBay (end time  03-Jan-11 12:59:22 GMT)

I've bought quite a few other oddments from the Seller - always good value and service.

If you want more "extreme" (which might suit if for example you cannot easily also "raise" the front end (I've a steerer extender in the one in the photo)), then search ebay on Raleigh North Rounder. I have fitted these to my Dawes Synthesis for much the same efeect without an extender/raiser as it has a nice quill. They are wider and give more sweep-back. I haven't got a photo yet!

Brill, thanks :thumbsup:

That is essentially bang on my price point. What is their angle like to hold?
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #4003 on: 01 January, 2011, 03:48:43 pm »
Thank you!

The bars are these:

SILVER ALLOY NORTH ROAD COMFORT  BIKE /CYCLE HANDLEBARS on eBay (end time  03-Jan-11 12:59:22 GMT)

I've bought quite a few other oddments from the Seller - always good value and service.

If you want more "extreme" (which might suit if for example you cannot easily also "raise" the front end (I've a steerer extender in the one in the photo)), then search ebay on Raleigh North Rounder. I have fitted these to my Dawes Synthesis for much the same efeect without an extender/raiser as it has a nice quill. They are wider and give more sweep-back. I haven't got a photo yet!

Brill, thanks :thumbsup:

That is essentially bang on my price point. What is their angle like to hold?

What can I say except that suit me! The other solution I've been trying is butterflies - took out that bike (IDENTICAL frame to the one in photo, yes I have two c.1992 Kilis) this a.m. and my back hurts!

They don't cost a lot so buy and try -IF not to your liking and you let me know within say 2 weeks I'll buy them from you for a small discount! I'll hold off replacing the butterfly set up until then.
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #4004 on: 01 January, 2011, 04:24:39 pm »
Nice bike Lee, looks a real mile eater. Good to see a full size pump fitted aswell.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #4005 on: 01 January, 2011, 04:26:54 pm »
Oncemore, thanks for the link to the bars. I am currently trying to discover the Holy Grail on my run around bike, am getting some butterfly bars from another member, but if these don't work I'll try the ones you have.

LEE

« Reply #4006 on: 01 January, 2011, 05:12:34 pm »
Lee, what bracket are you using on the light on the seat stay?  Is it a bodge or purpose built?

It's a Cateye bracket with some innertube wrapped around seat-stay to get required diameter.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #4007 on: 08 January, 2011, 11:10:19 pm »
Jealous of all these people with mini fleets of bikes... But for a first and only bike, I love my Tricross. Commuter, winter bike, weekend rides, racing (eventually!), and even just popping to the supermarket:

Completely standard - I've only had it a couple of months - with just a couple of tweaks - full Zefal mudguards, comfy saddle because I fell off and broke the stock one, and Shimano M324 half-flat, half-SPD pedals. The only other change I'm planning is some skinny tyres when the sun comes out, ready for my (eeeek) first triathlon in September  :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4008 on: 08 January, 2011, 11:15:38 pm »
Tricross is a very adaptable bike.
Getting there...

« Reply #4009 on: 10 January, 2011, 09:54:42 am »
Ok, my second post and my 'main' bike, a 2010 Thorn Raven Sport Tour.

I have arrived at this bike via a circuitous route that began with an Orbea road bike (which I then sold), then I moved the componentry off that and on to a Thorn Audax Mk 3 (which, again, I then sold!), and in the summer, I purchased a used Thorn RST in red.  To cut a long story short, after much pleasure riding the Raven, I decided to go one size up on the frame and have arrived at what I consider the perfect bike.

The Thorn has an 853 steel frame, lighter than a traditional touring bike, but still strong enough to carry some weight if necessary.  I'm running it with a Rohloff 14 speed hub gearbox, XTR V-Brakes, Mavic 317 rim and Shimano DH72 dynamo hub on the front, and Mavic 717 on the back.  These are shod with Schwalbe Marathon Pluses.  It is lit up by B&M IQ Cyo and Toplight XS lights.

The qualities of the frame are becoming apparent.  This is a bike that can be happily ridden all day with no major issues - I find it the most comfortable bike by far that I have ever had the pleasure of riding - and I thought the Audax was unbeatable!  It isn't the lightest bike in the world, but that said it is not so heavy as to cause me problems.  The rohloff hub is the single heaviest part.

Gearing is interesting, because you have to select your chain ring size carefully with a Rohloff hub.  Thorn owners will know this already, but think of the rohloff as 14 gears, one of which (gear 11) is in effect direct drive - that is, the bike behaves like a single speed in that gear.  Everything BELOW 11 you are losing pedal revolutions, everything ABOVE 11 and you are gaining pedal revolutions, relative to the rear wheel.  Therefore, by having a smaller or larger chain ring, you are able to determine the gearing that will exist in your personal gear 11.  Most Rohloffs have a 16 tooth rear sprocket, and I started off with a 42 tooth front - which came with the bike secondhand.  This was way too low a gear, so I moved up to a 46, ran that for a while, then bought a used 48 tooth ring for £10 on the Thorn forum.  Some people may think of this as a massive gear (top gear is about 109 inches!!!) but after getting used to it it suits my terrain well (East Anglia).

The gears will give you roughly the spread of ratios you would get on a 21 speed mountain bike, but as I have said, this is almost infinitely adjustable based on sprocket/chainring combinations.  The real beauty though is that the twist grip shifter allows you to simply change with one action to any gear, (even while the bike is stationary! A huge advantage!) and all the mech is sealed away inside the hub.  No abrasive winter grime, no knocks to put the gears out of line, no fiddling with two levers to change gears.  Just an oil change once a year.  

Being German, Rohloff are famous for the almost absurd over-engineering of their gear boxes - they claim that none have ever reached the end of their service lives, despite being the choice for such abuse as James Bowthorpe's round the world ride.

So far I have done roughly 80 - 100 miles a week and a mini tour of the Pennines, when the rohloff's gearing came under sharp focus.  The range of gears is simply phenomenal - gear 1 (if you can stop the bike wheelieing) will get you up the side of a tall building!

I also love the 'stealth' black paint job - there are no logos, and now I have applied reflective tape to various prominent bits, even the head tube Thorn logo has disappeared!  When it's parked up, almost nobody knows what it is!!!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4010 on: 10 January, 2011, 09:58:04 am »
^^^ You've got some interesting bikes and I like the way you have arrived at your choices.

fuzzy

« Reply #4011 on: 10 January, 2011, 10:35:29 am »
That is a cracking looking machine Grommit- oh, sorry, Paulson :thumbsup:

I am toying with the idea of a Rohloff for my Ridgeback touring bike.

May I be the fiorst to say however- Chains a bit slack ;)

« Reply #4012 on: 10 January, 2011, 10:44:30 am »
That is a cracking looking machine Grommit- oh, sorry, Paulson :thumbsup:

I am toying with the idea of a Rohloff for my Ridgeback touring bike.

May I be the fiorst to say however- Chains a bit slack ;)

Fuzzy - thanks for the comments.

The chain is nice and slack, but unless it's almost in danger of falling off, I leave it as is.  It's adjusted via the eccentric bottom bracket, but Rohloffs don't like too tight a chain, so I run it nice and loose!

Get a rohloff, you'll never want to ride a derailleur geared bike again!!  8)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4013 on: 10 January, 2011, 12:12:50 pm »
That looks and sounds like a bike I would be very happy riding.

Fun and useful and copes with just about everything.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4014 on: 10 January, 2011, 01:10:59 pm »
That is one lovely machine  :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4015 on: 10 January, 2011, 02:15:25 pm »
Very much the sort of bike I tend to gravitate to.   :thumbsup:

rdaviesb

« Reply #4016 on: 10 January, 2011, 02:46:50 pm »
Cracking machine, and I totally agree about the Rohloff. Just can't get on with the looks of riser bars though; personal preference all the same.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4017 on: 10 January, 2011, 02:57:23 pm »
'Cos you won't be able to afford one :)
I'm building up an off-road tourer at the moment, but decided to go with an Alfine 11-speed hub gear (possibly with a Schlumpf Mountain Drive if the hub will handle the torque in 'low' mode) because the Rohloff prices were just plain ludicrous.

I've ridden a bike with an Alfine-11 and it's a very very tasty bit of kit and, although it lacks the range of the Rohloff it's also a third of the price. I keep trying to blag a Rohloff equipped machine for a test ride but nobody round here seems to have one - my bank balance reckons this might be a good thing :D The main problem with the Alfine-11 is availability - mine has been on back-order since September :(

Also, do you happen to know what chain you're running on the Thorn? I've got a KMC Rohloff chain specced for the Alfine-11 on the grounds that it's apparently damn near bulletproof. Any ideas?

I went of derailleurs a while ago, what with having two fixers and an Alfine-8 equipped machine :D

LEE

« Reply #4018 on: 10 January, 2011, 03:53:15 pm »
Cracking machine, and I totally agree about the Rohloff. Just can't get on with the looks of riser bars though; personal preference all the same.

I fitted Drop bars on mine.

As for chains, I use a cheap SRAM chain on my Rohloff.  There's no real need for a bullet-proof chain on a single-speed or hub gear in my opinion.  Chains are amazingly strong in tension (but you can break the best chain with a clumsy derailleur change)

As for never wanting a Derailleur again...I did.  Not that I don't love my Thorn Raven (I did 200km on it on Saturday) but it's not the perfect bike for every occasion, there isn't such a thing.  I am fortunate that I can choose to ride my "Tank" when the roads are horrible and skoggy.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #4019 on: 10 January, 2011, 05:32:00 pm »
Paulson your write ups are becoming legendary. Really useful info, I'm beginning to think you know far more than most of us on here! You've got a well specced bike there and one which obviously gives you great pleasure, long may that continue.

« Reply #4020 on: 10 January, 2011, 09:57:02 pm »
i have taken a few days to read through this thread an idid not see my old cycles on here :o. i better rectify that ;D.
the trice and trailer

and the antrotech with trailer

and the thorn ,not a good shot i ll do a better one tomorrow  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #4021 on: 10 January, 2011, 11:28:40 pm »

I have been using one for over 23000km now, and tbh I'm still not entirely convinced. But I might have become a bigger weight weenie since I bought it.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4022 on: 11 January, 2011, 08:40:14 am »
Cycleman, were did you find that lovely lane to take the first two photos?
I presume they are both taken in much the same place.

I want to be riding down that lane, now!

The btrikes are nice too.  :)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4023 on: 11 January, 2011, 11:06:34 am »
it is a bridleway between the a355 and the lane that continues east to hedgerley just before it crosses the north south lane from hollybush corner   :)
the slower you go the more you see

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #4024 on: 11 January, 2011, 08:12:51 pm »

I find the gear change mushy on Rohloffs and much prefer Alfines in that respect.  14 gears is a nice thing, but I think the Alfine 11 is going to be a better overall buy than the Rohloff.  And since I mostly ride fixed, these days, I can't justify the spend on a Rohloff.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher