Author Topic: Cross Training: Rowing  (Read 226468 times)

simonp

Re: Cross Training: Rowing
« Reply #1075 on: 16 May, 2018, 10:39:11 am »
Did same st 1:48.8 yesterday evening, r29.

It’s supposed to be 6x500m but I felt sick after the 5th and didn’t want to find out what would happen if I did another.

« Reply #1076 on: 17 May, 2018, 01:02:29 pm »

It’s supposed to be 6x500m but I felt sick after the 5th and didn’t want to find out what would happen if I did another.

:D  sounds ideal.

I even managed a scull yesterday, first one in ages and the steering and balance weren't too bad despite the wind - am spending too much time coaching to actually row.  The squad did their 2k tests last night and everyone except 1 got a PB, so I can't ask much more.. Here's a clip of the 4 that are racing at Nottingham in 10 days on their first outing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djpzid-hBmY  the woman at 2 (white t-shirt, second from the right) has only been rowing for about a year, I'm really pleased with how she's doing.

simonp

« Reply #1077 on: 17 May, 2018, 01:45:29 pm »

:D  sounds ideal.

I even managed a scull yesterday, first one in ages and the steering and balance weren't too bad despite the wind - am spending too much time coaching to actually row.  The squad did their 2k tests last night and everyone except 1 got a PB, so I can't ask much more.. Here's a clip of the 4 that are racing at Nottingham in 10 days on their first outing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djpzid-hBmY  the woman at 2 (white t-shirt, second from the right) has only been rowing for about a year, I'm really pleased with how she's doing.

First outing? Not bad at all.

We did our first outing for our 4+ for Monmouth last week Thursday. We hadn't got the boat sitting at that stage which led to some frustration particularly from stroke. 4 water sessions since then and we're in a bigger, faster boat, and it's coming together. We've also changed our start sequence, and it seems to work better.

Out on the water this evening for a pair of 2-2-2-1 up 2s and then we're doing double session Saturday with another work session followed by 12km UT2.

My sculling has improved a lot this year as I've spent some time in the stable single. Being told it's time to try a fine single but will leave it until after Monmouth.

I'm interested* to find out how the new competition framework is going to work. Last year was mostly racing at IM3 due to one guy in our squad having a point. This year, no clue. I think under the old system we have 7 points in our boat as 3 seat is more experienced. But under the new system, I have 20 points and he has only 10 due to not having raced last year.

* Suspect it will be chaotic.

« Reply #1078 on: 17 May, 2018, 03:57:03 pm »

I'm interested* to find out how the new competition framework is going to work.

* Suspect it will be chaotic.

Yes. I had more points than the stroke of our first mens 4 thanks to a 3rd place in our category at vets 4s head last year - he'd raced and won at senior 1 level...   We're expecting every regatta this season to be a complete lottery, except for things like the Met which is finals based on a timetrial and HRR which is 'different'.   A lot of the cambridge events have ignored both and developed their own honour-based system so you chose your own categories based on how good you think you are!

simonp

« Reply #1079 on: 26 May, 2018, 08:48:03 pm »
Great start to our regatta season. Beat Swansea Uni, Staines Boat Club and Bath Uni to win the Open 4+ 1500m at Monmouth today.

« Reply #1080 on: 27 May, 2018, 11:12:11 am »
Fantastic. I wondered if you were at Nottingham - lots of your clubmates here...

simonp

« Reply #1081 on: 27 May, 2018, 11:43:55 am »
Fantastic. I wondered if you were at Nottingham - lots of your clubmates here...

Probably Bristol City?

Currently sitting in the beer tent not allowed on the water due to thunder. We have a rematch with Staines in the 750m semi final then if we beat that either Cardiff Uni or Monmouth School in the final. We lost to Monmouth last year with a much weaker line up. Hopefully we will get to race.

simonp

« Reply #1082 on: 27 May, 2018, 08:10:43 pm »

Probably Bristol City?

Currently sitting in the beer tent not allowed on the water due to thunder. We have a rematch with Staines in the 750m semi final then if we beat that either Cardiff Uni or Monmouth School in the final. We lost to Monmouth last year with a much weaker line up. Hopefully we will get to race.

We lost that one - we had the worse start this time. Staines were the toughest race yesterday and were likely a lot fresher today as we raced 3 rounds vs their one yesterday.

Winning yesterday was probably above expectations so losing today keeps us grounded.

simonp

« Reply #1083 on: 31 May, 2018, 09:50:52 pm »
2K test tonight 7:17.1. 10s improvement since last month. 4s shy of a PB.

10s improvement next month?

simonp

« Reply #1084 on: 04 June, 2018, 11:06:44 pm »
So tonight’s outing was my first in a fine single. I didn’t fall in but I didn’t get far. Pottered around near the club and tried some things. Very nervy at times. Relaxing is easier said than done.

I think the slides were too far forwards which caused me issues. It’s booked again for Thursday and will hopefully get the boat set up a bit better.

« Reply #1085 on: 07 June, 2018, 02:04:59 pm »
it feels ridiculous but the confidence drills the juniors spend hours doing make a huge difference to how fast you feel happy in a single - rigger dips, rollups, standing up, stuff like that.  (says me who fell in last week - not paying attention during a piece, clipped a mud-bank with my left blade, straight in over the right hand side...)

simonp

« Reply #1086 on: 07 June, 2018, 02:53:09 pm »
I might need to sub into a double tonight instead. Phew!

I remember my first time in a double - that was scary. But then people were like “You went out with Bartosz? No wonder it was scary!”

simonp

« Reply #1087 on: 09 June, 2018, 06:39:12 pm »
We had a nice outing in the double. Got up to r28 and split down as low as 2:04 on the stroke coach. Feeling more confident.

Meanwhile, this https://www.britishrowing.org/power8challenge/ is a 350m erg challenge.

I tried it after our water session (3x1000m) and weights this morning, did 1:02.8. So far three people at our club have gone faster.

I doubt I could get to 1:00, it would require 15% more power an I doubt even when fresh I can do that.

The Power8s sprints event is in Bristol. Should be a fun watch.

simonp

« Reply #1088 on: 02 July, 2018, 08:35:46 am »
Ironbridge Regatta.

Saturday open 4+ 1000m division 2 runner-up.

Sunday open 4+ 500m division 1 winners.

Not a bad weekend’s work.

« Reply #1089 on: 09 July, 2018, 03:42:10 pm »
I've been spectating at Henley for the last couple of days, all a bit sweaty but some great rowing.

The filming they're doing now is incredible with multiple cameras and an enormous drone, the highlights reel for the finals is 15 minutes but if you only watch one race then the single sculls which starts at 4.01 into the video is a belter!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB0s8YsCofY

simonp

« Reply #1090 on: 15 July, 2018, 09:37:35 pm »
Another win at Llandaff sprint today.

Beat local rivals City of Bristol in semi-final. That was a fairly easy win, they are a development crew. The final was Cardiff Uni. They were big guys and seemed quite cocky. We beat them by 1/3 length.

Next up: Peterborough Regatta and a chance for some multi lane racing.

Chris S

« Reply #1091 on: 15 July, 2018, 09:55:14 pm »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #1092 on: 15 July, 2018, 10:02:25 pm »

« Reply #1093 on: 16 July, 2018, 10:19:26 pm »

see you at peterborough!

simonp

« Reply #1094 on: 16 July, 2018, 11:27:28 pm »

simonp

« Reply #1095 on: 07 August, 2018, 08:55:52 pm »

see you at peterborough!

Are you racing or there in a coaching capacity?

We’ve entered our 4+ in Masters A/B and Open on Saturday and Open on Sunday. There was no competition in masters on Sunday.

« Reply #1096 on: 08 August, 2018, 10:17:02 pm »

see you at peterborough!

Are you racing or there in a coaching capacity?

We’ve entered our 4+ in Masters A/B and Open on Saturday and Open on Sunday. There was no competition in masters on Sunday.

they're threatening to make me sub in on sunday, but I'll probably just be coaching!   

If I do race it'll be in a band 2 coxed 4, possibly the one in the same heat as you!! (I dont know which one yet)

« Reply #1097 on: 09 August, 2018, 01:33:33 pm »
update:  I am subbing in, but in a later heat.  See you in the final!

simonp

« Reply #1098 on: 09 August, 2018, 03:15:23 pm »
update:  I am subbing in, but in a later heat.  See you in the final!

Haha, excellent!

simonp

« Reply #1099 on: 12 August, 2018, 05:57:19 pm »
Well we didn’t make the final on Sunday - the draw was very unkind to us. Across three heats the fastest three boats were all in our heat and we were third fastest. Only one boat in the other heats was anywhere near as fast as us.

On Saturday in the 1000m we did however make the final and came second to a very strong Peterborough crew. Multi lane racing is great, we should do more of it. And having timings means we have a much better idea of how we measure up against the better crews. I don’t think I’ve ever come off the water feeling as knackered as after Saturday’s final.

It was good to catch up Mike.  :thumbsup: