Author Topic: Blood donation  (Read 88146 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Blood donation
« Reply #50 on: 02 March, 2010, 04:14:47 pm »
Left a pint under the table at lunchtime.. You know when the session is about to start cos all the nurses stop smoking outside and head back to their stations. They have a new machine that weighs and beeps and moans if the flow is too slow or too quick.

This time I will not be out doing the club hilly chain gang in the evening. I learned my lesson last time.

Bit weary, but the needle wasn't too bad. apparently my Iron level is a little above average but in the normal range (15.5)
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #51 on: 02 March, 2010, 11:01:02 pm »
Interesting. The last time I gave blood (a couple of months ago) was the first time in over 60 visits that I remember it hurting, and continuing to hurt for a couple of days afterwards.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Chris S

« Reply #52 on: 02 March, 2010, 11:06:11 pm »
It hurts me nearly every time. Just not that much - enough to wince, but that's about it.

On about 50% of donations, I end up with a bruise at the extraction site.

« Reply #53 on: 03 March, 2010, 07:20:58 pm »
I was supposed to be going this evening but there was an estimated 45 minute wait for those with appointments so I left (forgot paperback and didn't fancy sitting in a corridor on one of those orange plastic chairs without one)

I'm disappointed, haven't earned my Guinness.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #54 on: 03 March, 2010, 09:09:41 pm »
Well, this time I feel so much better. Not going out and riding the club hilly chain gang that evening was definitely a smart move (once bitten, twice shy) and the run in this morning was fine - took it quite leisurely.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #55 on: 05 March, 2010, 06:35:50 pm »
Just done number 20. I'm having cake as a treat now :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #56 on: 05 March, 2010, 07:50:36 pm »
I gave blood yesterday. Mine never gets given to anyone else though.
The loss of humanity I could live with.

« Reply #57 on: 05 March, 2010, 07:52:37 pm »
I gave blood yesterday. Mine never gets given to anyone else though.

Why?

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #58 on: 05 March, 2010, 07:55:00 pm »
My arthritis is an auto-immune condition and they don't let the likes of me give blood. My "blood donation" was a mere couple of phials to see the state of my disease.

« Reply #59 on: 05 March, 2010, 08:00:08 pm »
Not a pint then!

« Reply #60 on: 05 March, 2010, 08:58:03 pm »
They don't take a full pint, only about 470ml.

Have an appointment for next weekend, let's see if I can shift this cold sore before then (skiing and dehydration don't help).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #61 on: 06 March, 2010, 07:32:19 pm »
I once gave blood just after coming back from the Alps and having a cold sore. They took my blood after checking with the doctor in charge. The next time after 6 months they were specifically requesting that they wanted blood with antibodies to Herpes simplex, I said that I regularly used to get cold sores after being exposed to light and that I had recently had quite a bad cold sore. They looked at their records and found that 6 months earlier I had given blood with a cold sore, they said thank you very much and took my blood again. Here in France they won't let me give blood as they think I might be contaminated with CJD.

« Reply #62 on: 28 March, 2010, 02:16:30 pm »
Have an appointment for next weekend, let's see if I can shift this cold sore before then (skiing and dehydration don't help).

Cold (and cold sore) now shifted so I'll look to book something local soon (St Georges Hospital are open all day for blood but next really local appointment is in July). They also park a mobile unit outside work but there's no info on the internal wiki about how to book for it...

Registered for online appointment booking system (via the Government Gateway) and it looks very useful. I can see donation history, book and cancel appointments without having to speak to someone or wait for a letter, etc. Nice.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Chris S

« Reply #63 on: 08 July, 2010, 09:08:02 pm »
Woo Hoo!

What do pints make? Prizes - pints make prizes. I got a Bronze today for my 10th donation.

I celebrated when I got home by almost passing out in the shower  :thumbsup:. I was dashing about like a mad thing after cycling back from the session; and had to nip downstairs to find a clean towel for a shower. I ran back upstairs, got to the bathroom and realised I was right on the brink of keeling over. I had to have an emergency sit down on the loo with my head between my legs. What a wally  :facepalm:.

All better now.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #64 on: 08 July, 2010, 10:29:39 pm »
BTDT. Ended up buying a big bottle of fizzypop and sitting on the shop floor drinking it when I 'came over queer' cycling through Sheepscar in Leeds immediately after blood donation.
Well done on your Bronze. I think I had mine by 1980...

pixieannie

• Partial to a dash of chainsaw oil
« Reply #65 on: 08 July, 2010, 10:32:17 pm »
Oh my.  Head between your legs, what a sight :demon:  Seriously though, well done on your achievement. :-*

simonp

« Reply #66 on: 08 July, 2010, 11:07:21 pm »
"Have you had complicated dental work?" Yes.

Not very clear though that question.  Impacted wisdom teeth and GA to remove 'em.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #67 on: 08 July, 2010, 11:12:07 pm »
One of the more ... err .. interesting evenings of my life occurred at college when I was in my 3rd year I think. The blood donation van turned up the same day as the Scottish and Newcastle freebies van. I gave one pint but consumed several.

They won't let me give blod any more. I think I just about got to 10 sessions when my arthritis bit. Because it's an autoimmune disease they don't want my nasty blood tainting anyone else's.

Martin

« Reply #68 on: 26 April, 2011, 10:21:43 pm »
just given for the first time in 2 years now donation #78; I decided to wait at least a year to get my Hb back up after my prang and op (neither of which needed blood) also my local sessions are usually always on Friday which is not the best thing to do before a 200km (or more)

It's a bit like turning up at Wembley without a ticket these days; everyone seems to book an appointment and any waifs and strays like me who just turn up (despite having been sent a letter and questionaire beforehand) are made to go and sit in the corner for an hour while they bleed those who have got their act together (I made an appt for next time now watch some bastard organise a 200  ;))

note; if you've been in Greece Italy the US or Canada 28days before donating don't bother; something to do with West Nile Fever  ???

« Reply #69 on: 26 April, 2011, 11:50:29 pm »
I'm afraid I wasn't too keen on the 2nd class donor feeling I got last time I turned up without an appointment - you see your form placed at the bottom of the pile from where it seems only to make any progress towards the top if further non-conformists happen to turn up after you.  I find it difficult to predict more than a day or two in advance when I'll be able to attend (by which time all the slots are booked or it's too late to book) so I normally just drop into one of a number of local centres when I can. This used to work just fine but they seem to be finding it increasingly difficult to handle these days. It was probably disgraceful ageist stereotyping of me to observe that almost all of the other donors present with appointments appeared to be elderly retired types that quite possibly weren't in desperate need of a quick turnaround. I waited patiently and didn't complain of course but by the time I finally progressed to the blood test stage I was beginning to doubt the accuracy of the "our stocks are low, we really need your blood" adverts that were running on the radio at the time.

Martin

« Reply #70 on: 26 April, 2011, 11:57:28 pm »
Mrs Zoom (who's been turmed down several times in the last few years for a low Hb) was more or less told to piss off tonight having done the same as me; and as she didn't have a current blood MOT did just that  >:(

It was probably disgraceful ageist stereotyping of me to observe that almost all of the other donors present with appointments appeared to be elderly retired types that quite possibly weren't in desperate need of a quick turnaround.

It was; the regulars at my session tonight were all ages and one poor kid who looked about 15 had the screens round him for the whole time I was there after feeling faint;

I can't help thinking with today's Whatever generation that they'll be having to pay them in years to come  :facepalm:

Chris S

« Reply #71 on: 12 November, 2013, 05:27:57 pm »
My first time with the new flippy space-age chairs. Kewl! Waaay better than the rickety  folding "beds".

I failed the CuSO4 test again  :facepalm:. Last time was two days after riding a 600, and I didn't bother with the proper test, but perhaps I should have; I let them test me today and it was fine (145g/L), so got to donate after all.

« Reply #72 on: 18 November, 2013, 02:28:09 pm »
My first time with the new flippy space-age chairs. Kewl! Waaay better than the rickety  folding "beds".

They are quite fun aren't they?

Somewhere over 50

« Reply #73 on: 18 November, 2013, 02:36:54 pm »

I can't help thinking with today's Whatever generation that they'll be having to pay them in years to come  :facepalm:

Stop doing them down!

Stepdaughter (17) donated for her second time last week.

Tattoos are a problem. Piercings and tattoos are frowned on by NBS, so every time someone gets a tat, they can't donate for 4 months.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #74 on: 18 November, 2013, 07:09:45 pm »

My first experience of them today, I guess too many people couldn't manage the sit-up at the end since they introduced the requirement to do that while doing the 3 finger gauze pad hold  ::-)