Author Topic: The Good News / Bad News Thread  (Read 393204 times)

Re: The Good News / Bad News Thread
« Reply #2375 on: 02 March, 2018, 04:09:01 pm »
GN: We got let out of work early for the bad weather
BN: I arrived home to find I still had the (only set of) works keys in my coat pocket
BN: I had also left my house keys at work
GN: The journey there and back was easy
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2376 on: 06 March, 2018, 10:39:57 am »
BN: Mislaid my wallet last week, so cancelled cards
GN: Have alternate bank card in another wallet
BN: Searched high and low, retraced my steps on the Sno bike, no luck
GN: Local cop shop just phoned, it's been handed in.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2377 on: 06 March, 2018, 08:31:36 pm »
GN: We are going to https://commonpeopleoxford.ticketline.co.uk/ on May BH (James, Maximo Park et al) :smug:
And N gets 20% staff discount :)

BN: the above is almost wiped out by the Booking Fee, and the separate DELIVERY BY FUCKING EMAIL charge (the latter being about 50p less than the delivery-by-post charge. er ... yay.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2378 on: 06 March, 2018, 08:33:39 pm »
GN: We are going to https://commonpeopleoxford.ticketline.co.uk/ on May BH (James, Maximo Park et al) :smug:
And N gets 20% staff discount :)
Should be Pulp with a name like that!

(Delivery by email charge – WTF?)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
« Reply #2379 on: 12 March, 2018, 07:02:56 pm »
BN: bike nicked.
GN: it was the cheapest of the stable shed.  Just wish I hadn't bothered cleaning it yesterday.
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2380 on: 12 March, 2018, 07:52:59 pm »
GN: it was the cheapest of the stable shed.  Just wish I hadn't bothered cleaning it yesterday.

Bastards.   >:(

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2381 on: 12 March, 2018, 08:41:27 pm »
May the thief suffer painful warts on every body part, or even better, an attack of remorse and return the bike.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
« Reply #2382 on: 12 March, 2018, 09:05:47 pm »
I was thinking "I hope they get oil on their right inner ankle area"*. Perhaps I should up my revenge-thoughts.

*They will because I just lubed it.
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

« Reply #2383 on: 13 March, 2018, 11:10:53 am »
BN: Linked In has taken to not forwarding my job applications with CV
GN: companies are finding me anyway
More GN: Oracle HR, to whom I sent a job application weeks ago, scanned my LinkedIN profile, and phoned me, offering me a job interview
BN: I've accepted a job elsewhere already
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2384 on: 17 March, 2018, 07:24:15 am »
BN.  Woken up at 6:30 am by the sound of someone dragging something in my enclosed back garden.

GN.  1000 litres of heating oil delivered.

BN.  Can't get back to sleep.  May have to get up.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2385 on: 18 March, 2018, 08:40:09 pm »
Further to the above.   
We had been getting a bit low on oil and then the Beast from the East cold event happened.  Due to excessive central heating we were then worryingly low.  I rang my usual supplier but they were unable to quote their normally pretty prompt delivery date and even gloomily suggested I should ring around the other suppliers.  I eventually found someone who gauranted 7 days.  Worry.

Bad news:   Because I didn't have an account, they wanted payment up front.  1000 litres at 49.5p plus 5% vat.  They delivered yesterday after 9 days, sparrow fart on the day I had decided I would have to switch off the boiler and face the wrath of Mrs B.

Good news:  Seems I got it right.  Just been talking to a chap who says they are now quoting 60p + vat! And 2 weeks delivery!  (And round here 2 weeks means more than two weeks)

Phew.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #2386 on: 20 March, 2018, 06:27:06 pm »
BN: I got careless doing potato dauphinois & ended up with a good pan with a layer of burnt on black stuff.

GN: The pan is now clean again.

BN: the flat stinks of the boiling vinegar I used to get the crap off.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #2387 on: 20 March, 2018, 07:50:47 pm »
BN: The toilet flush mechanism broke at 6.30 this evening
GN: It was of the type that has a separate push button that clicks into place
GN: It was only £6 at Screwfix who were open until 8pm
GN: Once I got it home, it was a 2-minute fix
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #2388 on: 06 April, 2018, 07:08:48 pm »
Bad news: my 20 year old Rab down jacket size L is just a bit too snug these days.

Good news: I saw & ordered a likely replacement which arrived today https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/klaettermusen-liv-20-sweater-down-jumpers/

Bad news: The XL size I ordered is a bit too snug , so it will have to go back  :facepalm:    Sob, it's lovely & soft & snuggly. 

« Reply #2389 on: 17 April, 2018, 10:40:35 am »
BN: I am in a truly shit job. Tedious in the extreme and only made vaguely bearable by decent colleagues - mainly.

GN: The DfE are advertising jobs that are remarkably similar to the role I did in 2009-11 for them on a very good wage, but was terminated soon after the 2010 election.

BN: The gap might count against me, but I am going to give it a go!

GN: It is something positive to aim for job-wise.

« Reply #2390 on: 17 April, 2018, 12:01:15 pm »
Good luck going for another ....er....erm.... post  ;D :demon:

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2391 on: 18 April, 2018, 02:00:42 pm »
grrr, this week is not getting better

BN - Last week someone fucked up to I had to fly to Aberdeen on Sunday to go offshore midday Monday, back late Tuesday

BN Monday Fog - no movements

GN Tuesday early flight - Hooray

BN Wednesday - planned early return delayed, giving me the joy of almost four hours in Aberdeen airport

G-ish N - sorted out a proposal for somebody else, they couldn't do it because they were "busy", I managed it while "busy" and "offshore"
More BN Wednesday, boarding the helicopter offshore, the downdraft catches my glasses which disappear over the edge of the helideck and across the platform.  Someone is going to be very confused at finding a pair of glasses on deck somewhere.  They were my new pair as well.

GN - Aberdeen airport looks better blurry, I may do as well as I've had at least three smiles from interesting looking women (but they were blurry so I may be wrong)

And a Meh! fact, birthday today, not my first away or offshore, but Meh! anyway.

Edit: more GN - my glasses were found on the platform and will be returned to me
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2392 on: 18 April, 2018, 08:43:52 pm »
And a Meh! fact, birthday today, not my first away or offshore, but Meh! anyway.

Edit: more GN - my glasses were found on the platform and will be returned to me

Happy birthday for what's left...

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #2393 on: 18 April, 2018, 09:09:02 pm »
Further to the above.   
We had been getting a bit low on oil and then the Beast from the East cold event happened.  Due to excessive central heating we were then worryingly low.  I rang my usual supplier but they were unable to quote their normally pretty prompt delivery date and even gloomily suggested I should ring around the other suppliers.  I eventually found someone who gauranted 7 days.  Worry.

Bad news:   Because I didn't have an account, they wanted payment up front.  1000 litres at 49.5p plus 5% vat.  They delivered yesterday after 9 days, sparrow fart on the day I had decided I would have to switch off the boiler and face the wrath of Mrs B.

Good news:  Seems I got it right.  Just been talking to a chap who says they are now quoting 60p + vat! And 2 weeks delivery!  (And round here 2 weeks means more than two weeks)

Phew.

Blimey, hadn't realised it had gone up that much!  This directly relates to my BN/GN.

BN Outgoing residents leave a pathetic amount of oil in the tank
GN Pickstocks can deliver same day, which they attempted to do, to find
BN a) the tank lid locked, and b) me 10 miles away at the estate agents attempting to pick up the keys for the house.
GN, they are happy to come back later that day, or the next morning, as desired.
BN (almost two months and several snowings in later) There is an old steel central heating oil tank in the barn, which is in the way of my planned workshop
BN, it is incredibly heavy and I cannot move it, why?
GN, Erm, that'll be because it has about 250 litres of perfectly good central heating oil in it!
BN spent an entire day draining it, checking it for water, and transferring it to the new plastic tank which is actually in commission (installed a year ago by the hard to remove previous owners).
GN smugness when I see the level gauge (clever remote thingy) has gone right back up to the top of the scale
GN This goes well with the fact that the solar PV seems to be keeping the electricity meter going backwards nearly as much as it ever goes forwards  ;D
GN our wood burning stove is happy living partly on a diet of used pallets, and most of the delivery trucks visiting our house seem to have a spare pallet or two in the back that they're happy to get rid of.
BN How the hell do Powys CC claim this 3 bed bungalow is a band F?  All the references I've found say its an E, which is horrifying enough, but F, its not a bloody palace!

Wombat

« Reply #2394 on: 19 April, 2018, 04:01:51 pm »
BN: A tooth that had been rather tender of late decided to crack at lunchtime & when I called the dentist, they were closed for lunch - how quaint.

GN: When I eventually called, they had a cancellation <1 hour later & I managed to swing the time off. The tooth was fixed.

GN: The electric bike whisked me there very rapidly.

BN: I now have to pay for dental treatment, although £60 seems reasonable, I spose.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2395 on: 19 April, 2018, 04:31:59 pm »

Happy birthday for what's left...

Thanks HM
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #2396 on: 20 April, 2018, 06:52:55 pm »
BN: this morning when i knelt to do up my shoes my trousers ripped from arse to fly.

GN: happened at home not in the office.

GN: replacement pair are a size smaller.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

« Reply #2397 on: 17 May, 2018, 03:57:35 pm »
GN: I’m in Honfleur and it’s a gorgeous day.

BN: €9 for a large beer & it’s only Jupiler... :jurek:

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2398 on: 17 May, 2018, 11:35:56 pm »
You could buy a crate for that in Carrefour . . . !  :o
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2399 on: 24 June, 2018, 12:43:38 pm »
BN: The bar end mirror disappeared from David's bike after he parked it at Queensbury yesterday.
GN: Evans a couple of miles away can supply a replacement, which I have ordered on Click & Collect.
BN: I've ordered this on my account and the email they've sent states they'll only give these things to account holders with umpteen layers of ID.

Does anyone know how difficult they are?