Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 391843 times)

Cross Training: Running
« on: 28 March, 2008, 01:05:41 pm »
I used to run. Now I only jog really, but I do that when I travel and in the winter when light means I cannot enjoy long enough evenings (and I don´treally enjoy the turbo trainer).

Anyway back running again, 30 min. each day. The Argentinean climate is spoiling me really, as dry, warm weather conditions (although clammy at times) mean it is much easier to go out here than it is in rainy Britain! My morning jogs feel quite eay at the moment, showing that cycling has helped me maintain a good endurance base. I attacked a couple of inclines today and it felt great. I just need to be careful with the pounding.

I wonder how Grub´s doing?
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #1 on: 28 March, 2008, 09:00:04 pm »
Grub has not been out again since.  I will go out again in the morning.  I have ridden all week instead as I had to, and I don't start my holiday until Tuesday - and we fly out on Wednesday, so no running in Australia until Friday morning I reckon.

annie

« Reply #2 on: 28 March, 2008, 09:17:43 pm »
I did my usual 5 mile run yesterday, felt good until 4 miles when I had problems with my right hip and extreme pain.

It has settled a little bit but this concerns me slightly, I wonder if it was the steep incline that I tackled and perhaps ran a little too fast.  I notice my times are improving so I am not overly concerned if I have to slow down a little.  I normally run with someone else and tend to go slower when I run with them, I think I run too fast on my own.

« Reply #3 on: 28 March, 2008, 09:19:03 pm »
Do you think it is because you find a rhythm?
What caused the hip to flare up?
A mis-step?

« Reply #4 on: 28 March, 2008, 10:45:49 pm »
Yeah! I am ahead of Grub in bike run journal!!

Feeling really good and using my runs to go around the place. Run along the Parana river this morning it was lovely! I am planning to go a bit further this WE. Next week Brazil.  8)

« Reply #5 on: 28 March, 2008, 10:47:38 pm »
As you can see, I am not amused  ;D
You are being the devil.
You know I am a sucker for a competition.
But, I have a mentor, and he tells me I need to get same base miles in before I start to be silly.
So I am not playing  ;)

« Reply #6 on: 28 March, 2008, 10:58:04 pm »
As you can see, I am not amused  ;D
You are being the devil.
You know I am a sucker for a competition.
But, I have a mentor, and he tells me I need to get same base miles in before I start to be silly.
So I am not playing  ;)

Are you suggesting I wait for you?!  ::)

Indeed get the base miles in, then play; it´ll be more fun then. I think my base is no far off, so I may be able to play soon. But so far I am still doing my 30 min. rounds.

« Reply #7 on: 29 March, 2008, 12:02:10 am »
No don't wait.  I want the thrill of overtaking you.
I may draft for a bit and then sucker you.

« Reply #8 on: 29 March, 2008, 12:38:00 pm »
Went out this morning.  Felt stronger for some reason.  Can't be base yet as I've only just started.
I decided to change the route to just road as I don't think my knees can cope with the uneven surface of the canal yet.  Perhaps when I am stronger and the tow path is not so wet and slippery I will enjoy it more.

I found a nice route - 2.86 miles.  Did this in 26.34 with an average HR of 142 and training zone compliance of 24.18 to dubious Kcal of 427.

It was a better run than my first.  There were some cheeky little gradient changes to mix it up and a nice long flat straight near the end.  I did some tender Fartlek along this - really easy stuff just to mix it up and to feel out my legs.

I enjoyed it so much it scares me a bit - especially since I forgot to wear my Ipod !!

« Reply #9 on: 30 March, 2008, 04:15:11 pm »
Am enjoying my running here as well. Ran in town lately but should be back by the river side later on today. Must eliminate that huge steak eaten last night... On the plus side the river run has a few sweet spots, including a nice hill, and the weather is deliciously warm!  ;D

My knees are fine too. I am probably lighter than I was in December and running short distances so far, well within my CV and physical limits.

« Reply #10 on: 30 March, 2008, 05:42:29 pm »
Sod it, I'm going to go out again now !!
I've put 50 in my legs this morning so it will be interesting to see what happens now.  ;)

« Reply #11 on: 31 March, 2008, 02:22:47 am »
Run 50 min., about 6 Mi, at 14:00 local time. It was HOT!

So I walked to town a minute ago and treated myself to an icecream.  :P

« Reply #12 on: 31 March, 2008, 05:58:20 am »
I did my route from Saturday but a minute down the road and along comes a cop car.  I had to stop and chat and take the abuse for trying to look fit  :D 
When I got started again I tried lengthening my stride.  It worked.  I was 'running' for the first time really.
Later last night I felt that sections of my quads have been awakened again after no use in ages.
It is a very satisfying feeling.

« Reply #13 on: 01 April, 2008, 05:20:12 pm »
A difficult but solid 30 min. run this morning including 4 flights of stairs (ca. 45 steps each) and attacking a long hill to make it worth it. I exited the darkness of town to make it to the river banks whih was so bright due to a lovely rising sun reflecting on the river surface. It was hot and humid already and it took me a while to stop sweating; even after the shower!

« Reply #14 on: 03 April, 2008, 04:37:59 am »
Much better today. 35 min. of a nicely paced run, part of it on soft grass follwoing last night rain. Nice.

« Reply #15 on: 06 April, 2008, 05:12:29 am »
First run this morning.  Mrs G came with me.  It was no problem.  Just a little wake up for the legs.  I may go out again tonight if I get the chance. 

« Reply #16 on: 08 April, 2008, 06:54:50 pm »
I have had a few good runs, including a lovely run on a fairly flat beach outside Bertioga, Litoral Paulista, Brazil. I have done this run before on previous travels, but I am sure I did it faser than I ever did this week. Getting better. If only I could shed the weight faster... <sigh> And keep the running going in the cold when I return this week.

PS Grub, two runs a day! I only ever did this when I was preparing for hard races and part of the best teams in the region I was in! Don't overdo it.  ;) Athletes who do this, usually have one jog, and one session (harder run, reps, fartlek, track).

« Reply #17 on: 14 April, 2008, 02:03:06 pm »
Still running Grub?

« Reply #18 on: 16 April, 2008, 01:06:42 pm »
Yep, had a bit of a gap while we went to Sydney and Mrs G refused to take another case just to put my shoes in.  Went out yesterday myself and this morning with her.  This morning was mainly fast walking as she needs to get a base base before she tries to run.  She has booked a place on the Race for Life again.
I will be out again in the morning.
You?

« Reply #19 on: 16 April, 2008, 04:12:59 pm »
Yep, had a bit of a gap while we went to Sydney and Mrs G refused to take another case just to put my shoes in. 

You have big feet, haven't you?!  ::-)

Yep, still running, although not for the past 4 days due to a lot of travel and work. Am talking about doing the local 1/2 marathon with a good friend of mine!

« Reply #20 on: 03 July, 2008, 04:40:30 pm »
Back on the treadmill for the first time since *checks spreadsheet...eek* January!

20mins at close to 11.8kph (bit too fast but I my usual treadmill is out of order so I had to use the rickety old one which is difficult to set disired speed accurately).

HRav only 162bpm, which is good for me (it's usually 168-173 for 10.5kph runs!).

Goal is to get to 45 minutes at 10.5kph and then do the occasional run home (about 12km). Garmin Forerunner 405 purchase delayed until I get myself up to 45 minutes twice a week.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #21 on: 03 July, 2008, 04:50:10 pm »
Funnily enough I started running again last week to try and accelerate my weight loss.  I haven't done any running at all since 2004, when I managed to complete a couple of 10K, albeit in a pathetic time.

To be honest last Friday's little jog nearly killed me and it was counter productive in that I was walking like John Wayne for three days and couldn't even ride my bike, so my longer weekend ride went down the pan.

I guess I'll have to build it up gradually.

« Reply #22 on: 03 July, 2008, 05:11:48 pm »
I had horrendous DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) starting 24 hours after the run and lasting for 3 days after my first run (20 minutes at 10.5kph on a treadmill). Despite doing plenty of stretching before and afterwards.

However I only ever got this after this first run. Subsequent runs have been problem free.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #23 on: 03 July, 2008, 05:15:32 pm »
There is a race on the local campus in August (a 10K) whcih may tempt me... I need to get back to running if I want to take part.

« Reply #24 on: 03 July, 2008, 07:33:41 pm »
I need to get back into running too, as I have some riot training in July and that is all running  :(