Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 433535 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #1775 on: 03 August, 2018, 09:24:05 am »
Last long run before 45km round the Manhood Peninsula the week after next.  20C is definitely hotter than my preferred running temperature.  I did the hilly route out through Hackwood Park, over Farleigh Wallop, Moundsmere and trails through Bradley and Ellisfield back to Tunworth for the last 4 mile slog along roads.  The trails from 22km to 28km are quite technical, deep tractor ruts, lots of overhanging trees, awkward descents and stiff descents, all of which kick in just as the legs are starting to get tired, so I was please to get back into some sort of rhythm until the last 2km of 35.5.  Feels like the perfect test for the next big one.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1776 on: 09 August, 2018, 09:36:30 am »
Finding the Map My Run app effective for training.  Yesterday's run was mostly on the beach between Scheveningen and Kijkduin, and so the voice giving my kilometre splits was very helpful in sense checking my 'feel' for the pace at which I was running.  On the way out, into the wind, my kilometre splits were in a 6 second range.  On the way back, with the wind, exactly the same, only 15 seconds per kilometre faster.  Clearly pan flat sand of even consistency is easy to test this on than up and down hills of variable quality but I'm convinced my ability to run 'at a speed' is getting much better, which I think will help for the ultra events I hope to do.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1777 on: 15 August, 2018, 12:40:16 pm »
Proof of Manhood completed!

My static caravan at Selsey is on the oddly named Manhood Peninsula, which is the bit of land that sticks out into the English Channel south of Chichester.  It's quite a good place to go running, with the exception of no hills - the highest point is 9m above sea level - but there's a mix of woodland trails, farmland, canal path, shingle beaches, sandy beaches, gravel tracks and tarmac - so there's nearly always something to liven up a training run.  Looking at the map, the logical thing to do would be to run around the Manhood Peninsula, from my caravan, down to Selsey Bill, up along East Beach and half way around Pagham Harbour before running along the laughable National Cycle Route 88, which is far better as a running route than a cycling route (Selsey is one of the worst places in the country for traffic free cycling, with 8 mile of overcrowded tourist packed winding B-road and no proper cycle path), up to Mundham and then pick up the Chichester Canal along to the Marina on the north facing coast of Chichester Harbour.  That picks up the New Lipchis way, which is helpful as one or two of the twists and turns would not be guessed without the waymarks, sometimes along the coast, more often slightly inland, behind those properties that cost three times as much as they would otherwise because of the sea view. 

The path breaks out on the coast again, a little to the east of Itchenor.  Reluctantly past the Ship Inn, fortunately it wasn't doing breakfasts or the run might have ended then.  Then it's a beautiful trail through the old oak trees that overhang the shore, when the tide was in, but today there was a wide reach of salt marsh and mud stretching out to the last of the ebb (which was deliberate).  By now (28km at Itchenor) my legs were starting to tie up.  Map My Run emotionlessly recorded the fact that each kilometre was taking longer than the last.  But the trail and views were beautiful, just a little hard on the ankles because there hasn't been the rain to soften the ground.  Then there was West Head.  It's a spit, filled with sand dunes, and no more than 50m wide at the point my route reached it.  There was temptation to 'pretend' that it wasn't there, but I knew I would regret it if I did, so I turned back north, fortunately with a tailwind.  My legs were really hurting now.  When I reached the end, a broad curve rather than a sharp point I slowed to a walk to eat my second Eat Natural bar and drink from my Camelbak.  I also tightened my laces which, after 35km of running were not as tight as when they had started.  Then I painfully eased the legs into running mode again and headed round the last of the point and on to the hard sand heading south, for the last of the west coast section.

The tide was as far out as I've ever seen it, the Winner Banks stretching with their waterlogged but otherwise lunar landscapes far out into the sea.  I tried to stretch my stride but my hamstrings were having nothing of it.  I reached the first of the groynes and almost came to a halt stepping over it, but then I could see my path ahead, clear, on the hard flat sand, which was the reason for doing this run at low tide.  Slowly the landmarks came and went, West Wittering Beach, with its lifeguard post, East Wittering, then Bracklesham.  The marathon point was passed in 3:39.  With the tide so low it was probably that I could have carried on all the way to Selsey, even with the breach in the sea defences.  But it's tricky ground, the sandbanks and river from the new salt marshes keep changing position, and also, in summer, don't want to lure tourists into that area.  So I kept a watch for the point where the new sea defences start and struggled up the steep shingle beach, forced to a walk.  At the top there was a family of four.  The young boy looked at my crablike progress and must have wondered. 

Now it was just 6km of familiar tracks around the sea defences and back to the 'van'.  It's the longest those 6km have ever taken, and the most painful.  There are several gates along the top of the defences, each requires a stop, which was okay, and a start, which definitely wasn't okay.  But eventually the sea defences were past, and I could navigate using the familiar landmarks close to home, the track, the junction, the solar panels, the gap in the hedge, the zigzag in the road, the turn into the poplars.  Map my Run piped up with the 50km time just short of the 'van' which avoided that awkward decision of do I go once round the block to get to a round number distance.  I stopped the clock, struggled up the three steps to the deck, and collapsed in a chair for a few minutes.

That's the next on my bucket list of homemade runs - 50km in 4:29.  It was harder than I expected, perhaps due to the hard ground, but also a 10km walk and photography lesson (teaching no 2 son how to use his new DSLR) the day before (plus a 21 mile time trial of sorts testing out the new Enigma Bike) had put a bit of fatigue into the calves and ankles.  The next one, probably towards the end of September will be the 60km of the Basingstoke Canal, which will be on equal firm surfaces but no sand or shingle.

« Reply #1778 on: 15 August, 2018, 12:54:38 pm »
 :) :) :)

« Reply #1779 on: 20 August, 2018, 02:17:37 pm »
Well done CET - for a person who doesn't normally run in the summer you seem to be doing just fine!  I agree - the Stillman weight seems to be for pure runners who want the Mo Farah physique and not ideal for triathletes.  Mind you, when I was 12 st. 8 lbs I thought I'd look anorexic if I was 11 stone and now I'm 11st 7 I can see I could readily get below 11 and still look healthy.  Shifting another half a stone will undoubtedly help the running.

I've had nearly 6 weeks off running.  I borked a knee doing the Hants Hoppit in June, then crunched my lower back but I've just done two 4.5 mile runs since Saturday with no knee problems so far, just minor back pain so I'm optimistic.  Made the error of forgetting to take my running shoes on holiday so missed out on some splendid coast path around the Gower last week. Still, I'm off to the New Forest soon....

Aiming to work back up to do another trail half-marathon before too long - either the Andover on 2nd Sept (probably too soon) or Clarendon on 7th Oct, and then keep running over the winter (which I've never managed before) and try a marathon next spring.  Whilst I need to get the odd long run in, I'm now trying a strategy of running shorter distances more often (4 or 5 runs a week instead of 2-3) to get my mileage in and avoid injury.

Just bought a pair of Brooks Caldera 2 trail shoes - first impressions are good. Reasonable support and cushioning - and true to my normal size 10 unlike Salomon Speedcross which are made for runners with four toes.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1780 on: 21 August, 2018, 09:04:45 pm »
I now have a running target again, for about this time next year.  Next year the Islay Half Marathon is on the day before the Ride of the Falling Rain, adn I have the idea to do the double.  I've not run more than about 45min/8km in the last two years.  It's a matter of both managing fitness and the effect of the bone spurs in my big toe joints.

Wish me luck. 
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #1781 on: 22 August, 2018, 11:51:25 am »
Well done CET!  That sounds like a really good run.  Lots of admiration for being able to motivate yourself to run hard over a non-competitive course.

ElyDave

« Reply #1782 on: 22 August, 2018, 01:26:52 pm »
Just read that, nice one CET!

ElyDave

« Reply #1783 on: 22 August, 2018, 07:41:31 pm »
first purposeful run in about two years, the starting point for my target of running the Islay half this time next year. 

Mixed on and offroad, about 60% off, slow, HR a bi higher than I'd like for the pace.  It always surprises me exactly how specific endurance is to any sport, two years ago this wouldn't have troubled me at all, but today it was hard work.  5km markers coming in at 28:07 / 5:37 pace and 28:59 / 5:47 pace, including a 400m walk while I tested blood glucose. 

THis session met both my goal of 10km and 1 hour including walking cooldown. I think I'll consolidate for a bit around 10km before getting too ambitious.

« Reply #1784 on: 29 August, 2018, 12:53:40 pm »
Nice one ElyDave - good to get back into the swing of it.

I did the Brockenhurst Parkrun (and beat MiniQ  ;D) on Saturday, ran 4.6 miles in the New Forest on Monday and did 3.7 miles locally back home this morning.  Strategy of lots of shorter runs for the time being seems to be working.  Currently doing around 15 miles a week and looking to stick in a couple of longer runs ahead of the Clarendon Half Marathon in October.  I know I can do the distance - I just need to stay injury free and tapping out the base miles.  Given it's a trail half marathon the time isn't particularly important to me, but I'd like to come in under 2hr 15m.

ElyDave

« Reply #1785 on: 29 August, 2018, 09:07:43 pm »
cheers Q, I have a HM training plan I've used previously which is a 10 week plan, with a suggested starting point of an 8 mile long run, so plenty f time to get back to that.

Ran on Monday again, but only 8km with very heavy legs after another 160km day on the bike on Saturday.  I think the run/bike balance will need some adjustment

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #1786 on: 03 September, 2018, 07:06:03 am »
I did my first 10,000 m track race last night. It was a case of shutting off my brain for the first part to avoid trying to count down the twenty five laps. It was good fun with the crowd & being able to hear the commentator on the PA system.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #1787 on: 03 September, 2018, 09:54:58 am »
kit question time! (poss better in Other Knowledge?)

Twin/2-in-1 shorts.  Fact me up!  I've never used them. What's the benefit compared to a normal 5" short?  Compression? Warmth? Extra support around the gentleman vegetables?

The weather is getting cooler (9C on this morning's run) and I'm looking for slightly warmer options.  I'm normally ok in basic 5" shorts down to 5C or lower if I keep my top half, head and hands warm, but as I move into running longer distances (therefore a bit slower) I suspect I might need something that keeps the muscles a bit warmer if I take a walk/feed break.

Recommendations?

Also - anyone else here doing the Clarendon Marathon/Half Marathon in October?

ElyDave

« Reply #1788 on: 03 September, 2018, 10:18:08 am »
I have a few pairs and tend to use them for a couple of reasons, pretty much what you've IDd below
- 1 as you say, cooler weather but not requiring leggings yet
2 - if you are susceptible to thigh chafing they can be handy (i'm not in general, apart from with my very short Ron Hill track shorts)
3) for other sports - yoga, keeping the viewing public protected and on the indoor rower can reduce chafing of teh arse.
iv - can also be a bit compressy for longer runs depending which you buy.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1789 on: 03 September, 2018, 04:46:37 pm »
My best running shorts are these.  When I was getting into running, on one trip, I realised that I'd packed my running shoes but not shorts, so delved into what I expected to be the most expensive place to buy kit  (Zurich Airport) and they were what came recommended.  For all of the reasons you have suggested, and they've been my shorts on most of my ultra-events, where I've not run in longs.

ElyDave

« Reply #1790 on: 03 September, 2018, 07:32:30 pm »
another run for me tonight, just 8km but instead of running to HR I ran by feel and PE.  Pace dropped off from about 5:00/km to about 5:20.  Plan is another 8-10km on Thursday as well.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #1791 on: 03 September, 2018, 08:23:19 pm »
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #1792 on: 03 September, 2018, 08:28:45 pm »
2 in 1 shorts are also good if you want pockets. If they have pockets on the inner shorts, it means it doesn't bounce around so much.
I have some Ronhill shorts like this. Handy if I want to carry gloves, buff, bit of food, camera etc, without a bag.

ElyDave

« Reply #1793 on: 03 September, 2018, 08:49:52 pm »
oddly I never wear 3/4 either on the bike or running, just swap from shorts to longs.  3/4's just seem to look a bit odd to me on blokes, although i'm sure Adamski has the "charisma" to pull it off.

My knee warmers have only seen action a handful of times in the 5+years I've had them. 

« Reply #1794 on: 03 September, 2018, 10:49:08 pm »
Cheers for the knowledge. I’ll be getting a pair “shortly” ::-)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1795 on: 05 September, 2018, 09:14:41 pm »
2 in 1 shorts are also good if you want pockets. If they have pockets on the inner shorts, it means it doesn't bounce around so much.
I have some Ronhill shorts like this. Handy if I want to carry gloves, buff, bit of food, camera etc, without a bag.

I use a small bumbag, which carries phone, keys or hotel keys if I'm running when away, and I can also fit a couple of small brioche rolls squidged down or an energy bar.

« Reply #1796 on: 06 September, 2018, 12:49:35 am »
A flipbelt is a lighter alternative for carrying stuff.

I generally have a bit more to carry so I've ended up with a 2L hydro bag from Mountain Warehouse and I don't use the bladder. Enough to fit a bit more than just wallet/keys/etc but not bounce around annoyingly on longer runs.

(Plus I'm too cheap to buy a proper Salomon running vest.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #1797 on: 10 September, 2018, 11:54:48 am »
How's everyone's running going?

I had a good weekend, beating my PB over a local 4.5 mile route on Friday night (in the dark with a headtorch) and shaving 16s off my 5k route this morning before work.  Now I've managed several weeks without injury running ~16 miles a week the aim is to drop in a few longer runs between now and the Clarendon half in October.  So I've pencilled in the Pangbourne 10k this coming weekend and then I'll try and do a ~9 miler the following weekend before tapering a bit ahead of the half.

Also, have you seen that Paul Sinton-Hewitt - he of Parkrun founder status - is launching a new ethical sports clothing company in the next month?  Aims to be European manufactured with fair wage labour rates, wider range of sizes to make sports more inclusive etc.  Profits to Parkrun.  https://www.drapersonline.com/news/parkrun-founder-to-launch-new-sportswear-brand/7032038.article
Looks interesting.  On teh Twitters @ContraMovement and t'interweb at www.contra-movement.com

« Reply #1798 on: 12 September, 2018, 09:22:34 am »
Nipples :o

Top tips please for avoiding joggers tit. With my increased mileage, colder weather and running in the rain with a wet technical t-shirt I'm starting to suffer from sensitivity of the old nip-naps.  And it's not nice.  The last time I suffered from this was years ago after a rainy 10k race.

What's the advice from the forum for avoiding this before it turns into full blown moob chafage?  Bodyglide? Sticky plasters (tricky, as I'm descended from wookies)?  Nip Guards or something else?

Ta in advance.

p.s. broke my 4.5 mile route PB again this morning. Which shows how rubbish I was to start with ::-)

« Reply #1799 on: 12 September, 2018, 10:39:10 am »
Two bits of micropore tape in an X over each.

I use it on any run of 10km or more when it's raining, and any HM or more even if it is dry.

Hurts a bit to take it off (easier if done in the post run shower/bath), but anything that sticks less and comes off easier will tend to fall off during the run which is not good.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."