Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 391851 times)

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #50 on: 07 January, 2009, 02:35:49 pm »
Back on the treadmill for me after months of not running.

Starting back on 2 x 20 minute runs a week at a gentle 10.5kph and slowly building up time/distance.

By my reckoning I should be up to 3 x 1hr runs a week by Mid May at which point I'll start running the 11km into work every so often. Something like:-

M: cycle in, run home
T: cycle in, cycle home
W: cycle in, 1 hr treadmill run at work, cycle home
T: cycle in, cycle home
F: run in, cycle home

(I know I'll need two bikes to do this, I'll take the geared bike in on Monday and bring it back on Friday).

25 minutes to treadmill o'clock. Ugh.

[EDIT] Meant to do 20 minutes at 10.5kph but I only managed just over 14 minutes. My excuse is that my HRM showed my average HR for those 14 minutes to be 181bpm which, for a gentle 10.5kph, is a good reason to stop and rest for a few days. We'll see what happens on Friday.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

annie

« Reply #51 on: 07 January, 2009, 06:23:29 pm »
I think you were right to stop when you did Greenbank.

I have had 10 days off from running, today was a gentle 5k as I knew I would be riding later in the day.

I am finding it hard to balance my cycling and running.  I run 3-4 times a week, usually 6-8 miles during the week and a longer run of say 11 miles on a weekend.  Today was back on the treadmill as the conditions on the roads and paths was treacherous, I found it so boring but it was a means to an end.

Good luck

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #52 on: 07 January, 2009, 06:41:45 pm »
*Everyone else had Nike GreenFlash, which were (I agree in retrospect) a total waste of money for a girl with growing feet who attended games lessons... infrequently.

I'm not usually one to be pedantic (......) but in this case I'll make an exception.

The plimsoles from before time began to which you refer are

DUNLOP GREEN FLASH

<Al Murray>
Good Honest British Plimsoles from an age when PE meant an hour of calesthenics in the gym.
</Al Murray>

« Reply #53 on: 07 January, 2009, 07:51:17 pm »
I think you were right to stop when you did Greenbank.

I stopped because my HR had read 197bpm for over a minute :)

(This is fine, I'm naturally a fast-beater and my GP is unconcerned about this. I can happily average 165bpm for an entire 11 hour 200km Audax and I'll feel as fresh as a daisy at the finish. I often see 200bpm+ when playing 5-a-side football. But, see below.)

This temporary spike is probably due the end of a recent lurgy or the salt on the roads. The latter always makes me a bit wheezy when I'm out on the bike (my asthma cleared up when I was 16 so I can't blame it on that).

Remembering something I heard of Radio 5 before I went away I've just booked a ECG scan with the Cardiac Risk in the Young charity (CRY). Details here: Upcoming CRY Cardiac Screening (Only 18-35 year olds though!)

It's a kind of mobile service so I'm having to wait until 21st Feb until it's next in London. £35 but hopefully worth it for a thorough scan and checkup.

« Reply #54 on: 07 January, 2009, 08:01:20 pm »
Unless I am missing something, it seems that they are just doing a 12 lead resting ECG. You could get this done at your GP surgery free in a matter of minutes. You GP is likely, as you have noted previously, to be extremely sceptical as to the justification and indeed the value of this (as am I), but it is cheap, quick, and he might be persuaded...

Oh. I have missed something - they do an echo as well, if indicated. I remain sceptical, given what I know of your abilities, but I'm ready, as ever, to be proven wrong.

« Reply #55 on: 07 January, 2009, 08:56:10 pm »
Not wishing to do my GP any injustice (I've had nothing but good experiences with the practice) but I think CRY's unwritten point is that anyone can administer an ECG test but not everyone has the experience to understand and interpret the results fully.

I'm willing to be proven wrong though.

« Reply #56 on: 07 January, 2009, 09:52:10 pm »
Most of the conduction abnormalities associated with sudden cardiac death are readily identifiable.

I am sure your GP would be more than capable of identifying a problem, or at the very least recognising a variation from the norm and initiating further action or expert interpretation as appropriate.

I'm not suggesting that you don't have appropriate investigations done if you are concerned of course, for instance if that wheeze persists or you feel that your heart rate response to exercise is outside normal range for you. I am merely suggesting that your local GP would do just as good a job.

« Reply #57 on: 07 January, 2009, 10:07:10 pm »
Fair enough SP. I know that you know your stuff about this so I do value your opinion.

'Tis booked anyway. I'll report back on what I think about it.

« Reply #58 on: 07 January, 2009, 11:32:31 pm »
Fingers crossed it'll give you a reassuring result that will rule out any electrical conduction abnormalities (unlikely unless you have had symptomatic rhythm disturbances, relevant family history etc) and gross cardiomyopathies (again unlikely given your level of fitness, I'd like to think) and thus not a bad use of £35.

In regard to ECGs and cardiomyopathies: while an ECG is a sensitive test, there is a fairly high risk of false positives as some of the ECG changes you see can be similar to those caused due to changes resulting from fitness training, so it's useful to have access to echo to clarify matters somewhat.

It'll be interesting for you to see if there is any structural or functional reason for the high heart rates. If I was in your position I'd be mildly interested, but relatively unconcerned in view of the lack of any worrying symptoms such as shortness of breath out of proportion to effort, fainting / near-faints etc.

« Reply #59 on: 14 January, 2009, 09:13:48 am »
Due to various travels I've gone back into my running (every other day) and have been enjoying it. Being good so far I am maintaining some run sessions here as well. Last night was interesting though: I misjudged the light and lighting there would be on a section of my runs and ended us running in pitch dark; thank goodness the trail was light grey and I could just about follow it -- I need a Petzl! I am trying to re-build a solid endurance base first and have started to introduce a few reps when I was overseas to build up speed as well. So far so good. No idea of exact speed but around 12.5 km/h most probably on 40+ min jogs. I could do with loosing a few pounds though!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #60 on: 14 January, 2009, 10:22:00 am »
Back playing 5-a-side.

HR topped out at 200bpm according to the Garmin, must have been taking it easy in that game (my usual HRmax is 205bpm) as we were outplaying them (we won 6-1).

The running is definitely helping with it.

:)

« Reply #61 on: 14 January, 2009, 03:32:43 pm »
Managed a whole 8 minutes on the treadmill before I felt like crap again. Oh well. Better than nothing I guess.

annie

« Reply #62 on: 14 January, 2009, 04:23:35 pm »
Managed a whole 8 minutes on the treadmill before I felt like crap again. Oh well. Better than nothing I guess.

What do you mean when you say 'crap', tired, heavy, out of breath, what exactly?

« Reply #63 on: 14 January, 2009, 04:34:41 pm »
Tired and heavy. I did play 5-a-side last night. HR was only 172. Not worried at all, I just want to get back into the routine of it.

annie

« Reply #64 on: 14 January, 2009, 04:52:39 pm »
Tired and heavy. I did play 5-a-side last night. HR was only 172. Not worried at all, I just want to get back into the routine of it.

Perhaps take it a bit easier the morning after playing 5-a-side, give yourself chance to recover until you have built back up to a better level of fitness in terms of your running.  I always rest on a Wednesday morning as I run and do 2 hours of yoga on a Tuesday. 

I am sure it won't take you long to get the fitness back. 

I took two weeks off from running over Christmas to give my body a chance to recover after the chesty cough thingy, when I went out for my 7 mile run yesterday I felt really good although my legs were a tiny bit heavy about mile 6.

« Reply #65 on: 15 January, 2009, 10:05:03 pm »
An easy 6-Miler tonight (44 min. of running). I feel easy cardio-vascularly, but my form is very poor and I have to think about it; when I do it helps my pace. Probably the weight (?) and lack of practice -- I feel as if I am slouching forward (?). But a nice run nonetheless

« Reply #66 on: 16 January, 2009, 05:33:41 pm »
Hurrah. 20 minutes at 10.5kph on the treadmill and I felt much better once I'd got into it. Still unable to zone out but getting there.

« Reply #67 on: 06 February, 2009, 08:50:28 pm »
Still running regularly, often at night with my Petzl when I feel I want to run "in nature". Great fun when cold and dry; even better in the snow!

simonp

« Reply #68 on: 06 February, 2009, 09:08:42 pm »
I haven't done any running (including 5-a-side football) since my knee said no.

Still waiting for knee to be back to 100%.

annie

« Reply #69 on: 06 February, 2009, 09:26:04 pm »
I went running last night.  Headtorch and Exposure light.  Still ended up with a car pulling out of a drive and me running into the side of it, I couldn't have been more lit up if I tried.  Just love to run in the dark, cold and wet.

« Reply #70 on: 07 February, 2009, 04:58:49 pm »
I went running last night.  Headtorch and Exposure light.  Still ended up with a car pulling out of a drive and me running into the side of it, I couldn't have been more lit up if I tried.  Just love to run in the dark, cold and wet.

Great isn't it!? I don't like wet, but crispy cold and dark is heaven.

About car pulling out in front of you: It often happens to me in town. People are clearly only looking to their right as they pull out and would happily run over everyone on the pavement.

annie

« Reply #71 on: 08 February, 2009, 08:49:15 pm »

Great isn't it!? I don't like wet, but crispy cold and dark is heaven.

About car pulling out in front of you: It often happens to me in town. People are clearly only looking to their right as they pull out and would happily run over everyone on the pavement.

Hmm don't know what to do about it really.  Stopping at speed is hard on the joints.

She is lucky my Exposure light didn't end up through her window.

I will be out tomorrow night, come rain or shine. 

« Reply #72 on: 20 February, 2009, 06:01:32 pm »
Remembering something I heard of Radio 5 before I went away I've just booked a ECG scan with the Cardiac Risk in the Young charity (CRY). Details here: Upcoming CRY Cardiac Screening (Only 18-35 year olds though!)

It's a kind of mobile service so I'm having to wait until 21st Feb until it's next in London. £35 but hopefully worth it for a thorough scan and checkup.

Tomorrow!

Will post a followup when I'm done but I'm going straight from test appointment to a big booze fest in Blackpool for the weekend so I doubt I'll be posting anything until Monday.

Interestingly it was also plugged in Cycling Weakly this week.

« Reply #73 on: 22 February, 2009, 08:32:02 pm »
Tomorrow!

Will post a followup when I'm done but I'm going straight from test appointment to a big booze fest in Blackpool for the weekend so I doubt I'll be posting anything until Monday.

All clear. :)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #74 on: 23 February, 2009, 10:38:04 pm »
Ran in this morning (3.5 miles). Took about 40 mins. This did include a couple of ascents of Balgay Hill to add the paths to OSM. I had to walk up most of the steps the second time - the rucksack had my laptop and 2 days kit in for travelling.

Felt really good.

Got off the plane in Heathrow terminal 1, gate 80 or therabouts. Checked my watch as I stepped off the plane - bus leaves in 6 mins. Made it to the bus station in 5 only to stand around for 10 mins before the driver bothered to turn up.. But for the first time in a long while felt that I could run at a sustainable pace.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes