Author Topic: Labral tear of the Hip  (Read 12778 times)

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
Labral tear of the Hip
« Reply #25 on: 02 November, 2012, 12:58:30 pm »
I know it's wrong, but I did it my way not the experts way, and I got away with it... If you 'listen to your body' you can sometimes hear more than anyone else....
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

Re: Labral tear of the Hip
« Reply #26 on: 02 January, 2013, 10:27:35 am »
Agreed, The CAT Scan results are in (unofficially) in that the Physio has said that I do not have a discrepency in my leg length and should wean myself off the heel raises.  :-\ As previous flair ups have been from getting new shoes and not having the raises I am waiting to see how this goes.

Physio is continuing, stretches of the quads and glutes. Core stability exercises (Clam and Bridge for those familiar with Pilates). However on Monday she did something new during the physio appointment. They have a 'seat belt' which went round my thigh and her hips so that whilst I lay on my back with my knee in the air and brought the knee towards my chest she could help the knee forwards with her hands and pull the femer back with her hips to relocate the ball of my hip in the socket.  :o Ouch!! Its still sore two days later.

I next get to see the consultant on the 14th Feb. By which time we should be confident if physio is going to be able to assist.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
Labral tear of the Hip
« Reply #27 on: 02 January, 2013, 02:10:02 pm »
Ouch!!  I suppose it will work if you stick at it.... 

I can think of other uses for that apparatus ..........
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #28 on: 02 January, 2013, 05:21:21 pm »
I'm going to have to go back to my GP about my dodgy right hip, it's markedly more painful and less mobile than my other hip and it's flared horrible since my pratfall last week :(  I was kinda hoping to do one kind of physio at a time...

« Reply #29 on: 15 February, 2013, 09:34:13 am »
Well thats that then, I saw the consultant again yesterday who basically said, yes there is wear and tear in the hip which may be partly congenital but surgary probably won't help and may well make things worse. Keep doing the physio excersises and avoiding activities that agrivate it. Therefore no hiking for me, rough ground or walking more than about a mile and a half causes issues.  :(

Fortunately cycling seems to be OK and the movement can help the joint lubricate so is being encouraged. I will find out on Monday if the physio is also going to sign me off or continue to try to gain further improvement.

At some point in the next 30years it will deteriorate enough to actually justify surgery.

« Reply #30 on: 02 April, 2013, 10:04:07 am »
And there ends the physio, continue with the stretches (hip flexor, and glutes) and with the pilates type strengthening work. However whilst this will improve with time and is already showing benefits I will now have to just manage what I do so as not to aggravate it.  :-\

I have a nice 6 day trip to the lake district at the end of the month and will have to leave my hiking boots behind and just concentrate on cycling.  :'(

At some point it will deteriorate further and I will have to go back to the consultant.

« Reply #31 on: 17 June, 2013, 09:06:01 am »
Well life continues, I have found that walking the 800m from station to office and 800m back each day for a week leaves me sore by the end of the week. I HAVE to take the bike to work for the 1/2 mile to the office.  :o

The lake trip showed that riding the Van Nick can get sore. Subsequent testing has shown that as the handle bars are lower than the fixie, unless I actively seek to rotate my pelvis to a more upright position and put the curve in my lower spine the hip is operating on the damaged section.

Left hip is becoming more sore and clicky, similar symptoms to the right 8 years ago and I suspect I shall be seeking another conversation with the consultant as walking restrictions of 1/2 mile are not right for someone in their early 30s.

« Reply #32 on: 30 September, 2013, 11:59:27 am »
Consultant has agreed that 4-5*500/30 Co-codamol per day shows consevative management (physio and avoidance) has failed.

I am now on the waiting list for a Hip Athroscopy operation to remove the impingement and tidy up the tear. It is what I expected but still surgery.  :-\

« Reply #33 on: 16 December, 2013, 10:57:50 am »
Still waiting for the date. Should be by the 4th Feb 2014 if they are to meet the 18 week target. However speaking to the consultants secutary on friday I should get 6 weeks notice of the appointment and they are struggling for theatre slots.

Its now getting awkward at work as I am being asked if I am willing to go out to Lakeland Florida for 2-3 weeks at the end of Jan early Feb for what would be a stunning bit of work to be involved in but I don't know if I will be available.  :(

« Reply #34 on: 17 December, 2013, 02:26:52 pm »
Still waiting for the date. Should be by the 4th Feb 2014 if they are to meet the 18 week target. However speaking to the consultants secutary on friday I should get 6 weeks notice of the appointment and they are struggling for theatre slots.

Its now getting awkward at work as I am being asked if I am willing to go out to Lakeland Florida for 2-3 weeks at the end of Jan early Feb for what would be a stunning bit of work to be involved in but I don't know if I will be available.  :(
Work has therefore given me the ability to prod the consultant into action. A date has been set, unfortunately it will probably prevent me from going to Florida,  :( but I have a date. :thumbsup:

« Reply #35 on: 23 December, 2013, 01:43:11 pm »
Fool, christmas shopping on Saturday was too much walking, even on max Co-codamol dose I hardly got through the services on sunday in the choir. Now I'm having to use a walking stick at work.

barakta

« Reply #36 on: 23 December, 2013, 09:11:30 pm »
The kind of walking for shopping is horrid walking and probably way nastier than usual.  My hips are telling me they are displeased with a short supermarket trip and navigating 3 crowded railway stations in 2 days.  The distance traversed is tiny, but the avoiding crowds lurchiness has its cost.

Sympathies, hip pain is horrid, I hope yours improves soonest with or without drugs!

« Reply #37 on: 26 December, 2013, 05:15:41 pm »
Thanks barakta, I'm still using the walking stick, struggling with stairs and taking the Co-codamol (4-6 * 30/500mg per day).  :'(

However it could be much worse, niece nephew, sister and brother in-law have all missed Christmas as a winter vomiting bug has just gone through their house.  :(

I do at least have a light at the end of the tunnel as the op is scheduled for the end of Jan, which will hopefully fix things and give a good diagnosis. Must remember to ask the consultant if it is possible to record the athroscopy so that I can later see the condition of the tear.

barakta

« Reply #38 on: 26 December, 2013, 05:23:50 pm »
Ouch at that much codeine.  I've BTDT and my guts don't like it.  I have similar bouts with StupiderShoulderTM which is surgically not recommended for fixings - shoulders can't rest whereas in theory hips can although IMO hippain sucks as not being able to walk is rubbish. Can fake life one handed a lot better!

Hopefully your surgery will fix the prob and you'll be off the drugs and doing much better.  Recording of arthroscopy sounds cool! I have pix of my arm innards :D

Noro at this time of year is teh lose. I lost ability to disgest lactose from that 3 years ago >:(  can't imagine doing that with children and other adults ill too. We managed to keep mine to just me after a weekend away with many friends who got it too.

« Reply #39 on: 13 January, 2014, 01:29:49 pm »
Well, I was in for the pre op assessment today ready for the arthroscopy. BP 140/81 pulse 67 saturation 98%not that I am knowledgeable enough to interpret but no alarms sounded. All other requesite details recorded.

Recovery times were discussed:

signed off work - 2 weeks
no driving - 1 week
crutches - 2 weeks
No Cycling 6 weeks  :o  :(

Not sure how I will get to work once allowed back as I commute by train and bike. The journey from the station to the office being further than I can currently comfortably walk (800m).

Anyway I will be back in in two weeks for the op.

« Reply #40 on: 27 January, 2014, 07:45:37 pm »
Op over, cam FAI reshaped but subject to follow up appointment confirmation no tear  :o  ???  I am now highly confused.

now sore and nauseous from the morphine.

barakta

« Reply #41 on: 27 January, 2014, 11:01:52 pm »
Glad you're out of op Matthew, I hope the doctors can explain the confusingness to you soon and that the pain and opiate effects pass quickly!

« Reply #42 on: 28 January, 2014, 10:34:52 am »
Trying to only use the Co-codamol for pain relief. I do have Tramadol as a back up but considering how I reacted to the Oramoph and Morphine yesterday, food / drink would stay down for about an hour, I want to avoid it.

I have walked on the crutches to get my newspaper so am mobile and could almost be back at work.

« Reply #43 on: 28 January, 2014, 10:52:35 am »
Glad it's all done Matthew and hope you are back to normal soon-ish. If you need anything fetching, or shopping or anything you can always give me a shout.

I'm lucky I never have any negative reactions I hear about to these drugs. I love oramorph, awesome stuff. Tramadol makes me very sleepy but nothing ever makes me sick. Must have a stomach of iron  :smug:

« Reply #44 on: 28 January, 2014, 11:22:17 am »
Thank you for the offer Lady C but the big advantage of living at home is that my parents are able to run around for me.

barakta

« Reply #45 on: 28 January, 2014, 07:47:54 pm »
Sounds good, but do be careful and don't try and go back to work too soon, no one even yourself will thank you for it...

Sympathies on the sodding drugs, I had codeine yesterday and tried some metoclopramide to stop the associated nausea which I think did something else nasty to my head instead. opiates are horrid!

« Reply #46 on: 18 March, 2014, 08:29:52 pm »
And so it ends for now. Yesterday physio said I don't need to come back and today the consultant saw me and left me with an open appointment. Back to being on his files but no need to come back unless things deteriorate.

Photos from the op show that the bearing cartilage is worn but now that the small protruding bit of bone has been removed the joint has more space. Also debris was removed from the joint.

The op has been very successful, I am walking at a decent pace, comfortable walking a couple of miles, and able to be on my feet all day. Yes the joint is still slightly sore and if manipulated in a particular manner will crunch, but I will live with that and the soreness should reduce over the next few weeks.

Oh and the surgeon apologised today that it took so long to get to actually operating rather than the conservative management that in my case failed.

« Reply #47 on: 11 March, 2015, 02:19:43 pm »
Dam! I need to resurrect the thread  :'(

Rode the KVR200 on Saturday, the pain killers for the sprained wrist masked it at first but I have aggravated the hip. It's nothing like as bad as it was but sore, tight and clicky again.

Will have to rest it to recover and hope that sorting out the position on the Van Nic solves it (bars are lower) or otherwise that's the end of my audax career and I will have to find my range limit.

« Reply #48 on: 11 March, 2015, 03:44:51 pm »
That's not good news as you seemed to be quite mobile yesterday, even your wrist didn't seem to be troubling you too much...

Your troublesome side isn't the one you landed on when you came off is it?

w.r.t. position, would it be worth trying tilting your saddle to be more nose downwards so that you can keep your handlebars slightly lower, your back straight and maybe your hip happier due to the resulting different angle between pelvis and vertical?

« Reply #49 on: 11 March, 2015, 03:55:52 pm »
No the hip problem is on the right.

I am still mobile but I can feel it is not right. As I don't have a problem riding to work it is either too far or the different position on the Van Nic. I need to compare the stable side by side but I think it is that the handle bars are about 7cm lower than the tourer or fixie. This tips my back further forward and rotates the pelvis further such that the hip is articulated further. The less popular option is simply that my hip can't cope with 200km, but to prove that will require riding 200km on either the heavy tourer or fixed wheel.

The best result would be for the hip to be sore from the height of the bus seats and the walk between the bus stop and the office as I can avoid these once the wrist is sound for cycling (tomorrow morning)