Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 516958 times)

Bought a couple of cakes from a recently opened patisserie, Lanka, in Goldhurst Terrace just behind Waitrose next Finchley Road tube station. The owner is a Japanese woman who trained as a patissiere in France.

Green tea tiramisu cakes - absolutely wonderful, typically Japanese in not being overloaded with sugar like most  cakes here.

I shall be breaking a lot more journeys on the Metropolitan line in future.  :P

hellymedic

• Just do it!
[Totally OT] My Dad lived in Goldhurst Terrace from 1940-48.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
With a surfeit of cucumbers from the veg plot this year, I'd been looking for things to do with them.

Pickeld some at the weekend, two big jars with thinly sliced spring onions, various herbs, chilli, lime and gin.  Opened a jaar this evening to have with my venison sausages and roast beetroot, very nommy.

Next recipe, chilled cucumber soup.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Owners of Amazon Echo: ask Alexa what her favourite pastry is...

So we can look forward to Coca Costa offering fizzy coffee as yet another variant  :demon:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
At a hospital near you, as local hospitals host Costa outlets...

Macron's face after trying Finnish coffee is my favorite kind of French despair

https://twitter.com/broderick/status/1035477380951957505

I dread to think how bad Finnish coffee is.  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
It isn't often you get to see real disgust on a politician's face. Macron's has high meme potential.

To be fair all the Finnish comments I've read suggest that it is perfectly natural to react to their coffee in that way as a visitor.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Apparently, there is palatable coffee in Finland, you just need to be more specific when ordering.

Pro tip: ask for dark premium coffee in #Finland. Bulk that most people consume tastes just like Macron's face shows and it makes your rectum explode.

Not kidding here.
https://twitter.com/akihheikkinen/status/1035481450492174337
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #2609 on: 01 September, 2018, 09:31:44 am »
The raw material for the "coffee" they gave us at a control last Sunday might have been scraped off the bottom of a frying pan.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Re: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #2610 on: 01 September, 2018, 06:57:55 pm »
N+1

(ex display @ 22% of new cost)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2611 on: 01 September, 2018, 09:15:03 pm »
smoking?!
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2613 on: 10 September, 2018, 02:57:58 pm »
Just made myself a smoothie - chucked the following in the blender: a large handful each of frozen banana slices and frozen pineapple chunks, half a can of coconut milk and the juice of one lime. Absolutely divine.

Probably the only thing that could have improved it would have been a slug of white rum... like some kind of magnificent daiquiri/piña colada hybrid.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2614 on: 10 September, 2018, 04:49:24 pm »
That sounds lovely -  now where did I put my bottle of rum?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2615 on: 11 September, 2018, 12:48:58 am »
OOPS!

citoyen

« Reply #2616 on: 13 September, 2018, 05:24:21 pm »
My wife just picked a courgette from the garden. I weighed it...

4.4kg

:o

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2617 on: 13 September, 2018, 06:11:29 pm »
That's not a courgette, that's a marrow. Or more likely an extraterrestrial life form.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #2618 on: 13 September, 2018, 06:19:49 pm »
Or something that'll end up in NSFW.

citoyen

« Reply #2619 on: 14 September, 2018, 11:36:44 am »
I don't know the difference between a marrow and a courgette, but there's definitely plenty of NSFW potential with this...

ian

« Reply #2620 on: 14 September, 2018, 11:51:33 am »
Hmm, 23 inches again. Let's hope those innovative Italian doctors are on call.

A marrow is what courgettes aspire to be when they grow up. Basically a mature courgette. Or a courgette is an immature marrow.

citoyen

« Reply #2621 on: 14 September, 2018, 12:35:10 pm »
A marrow is what courgettes aspire to be when they grow up. Basically a mature courgette. Or a courgette is an immature marrow.

I suppose what it comes down to in essence is that they are all varieties of squash. The internet tells me that zucchini/courgette is a "thin-skinned cultivar" of marrow. This probably means it doesn't like us talking about it behind its back in this way.

ian

« Reply #2622 on: 14 September, 2018, 01:18:52 pm »
They are very sensitive to criticism. But I think that's because they are immature. You can't insult a marrow, I've tried. Mostly because they're rather dull and tasteless. It can only be a matter of time before one is elected to parliament. Probably to represent some godforsaken part of Essex (correction: I've forsaken all parts of Essex – God, earlier today).

Fascinating fact: if you let a courgette turn into a marrow and then grow to the size of a person – crack it open and you'll find a simulacrum of yourself inside. Be a bit wary though, they tend to strangle you and take over your life.

citoyen

« Reply #2623 on: 14 September, 2018, 01:41:41 pm »
It can only be a matter of time before one is elected to parliament.

How do we know this has not already happened?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2624 on: 15 September, 2018, 06:01:37 am »
The Yorkshire Tea purchased from Safeway in Smithers, BRITISH Columbia and labelled "Orange Pekoe" is, praise be, the same stuff BRITONS may purchase from Mr Sainbury's House of Toothy Comestibles :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime