Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 460752 times)

The health and fitness thread about random things
« on: 19 March, 2014, 03:47:02 pm »
I don't think we have one of these in here.

Me leg is acting funny. Sometimes it spasms. Sometimes it goes on strike and goes floppy. Always when I'm walking and occasionally in public, which is amusing/embarrassing/'ucking ridiculous. Pick one.

GP decides it might be a problem with my knee. Well, unlikely, I have knees like a bullock (figuratively speaking). More likely my damaged/weak lower back. Never mind, another Physio referral will help anyway.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #1 on: 19 March, 2014, 04:04:28 pm »
Given the reliability of internet consultation, I offer you the spinal stenosis/spinal claudication hypothesis...

« Reply #2 on: 19 March, 2014, 04:11:50 pm »
Oh, EXCELLENT. I hadn't found that one. Now I have something to get paranoid about. Internet diagnosis is wonderful.

Um a long history of phantom pains down one leg, spasmodic movement, occasional muscle weakness. Oh, and it never occurs when cycling . . .
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 19 March, 2014, 04:16:13 pm »
Internet diagnosis is potentially dangerous; I'd risk it for you, knowing it's worth as much as you paid for it...  ;) ;D

« Reply #4 on: 19 March, 2014, 04:19:18 pm »
Internet diagnosis is potentially dangerous; I'd risk it for you, knowing it's worth as much as you paid for it...  ;) ;D
Worth every penny! Have a 200% pay rise!
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 19 March, 2014, 04:22:36 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #6 on: 31 March, 2014, 12:27:23 am »
Physio on tues. I'm a member of a Perthes support group. The leader of the group has written the NHS booklet on Perthes.

Seems my troubles are very common in ex-Perthes patients.

Intermittent, but include: leg weakness (including complete collapse), numbness, 'hollow' pain, burning/itching feeling on skin on leg, spasmodic pains and movements.

I also now have 'floating' dizzy spells with muscle tremors over whole body. It's all intermittent (I dug and planted two trees this morning, mowed lawn yesterday without trouble). Only just coped with some supermarket shopping yesterday; floating dizzyness and muscles tremors meant I twice rammed the trolley into innocent immobile objects. No, they weren't slow-moving grannies.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 31 March, 2014, 02:00:56 am »
I didn't know that about Perthes!
You learn something every day!
Hope the physio helps.

Shopping online means I trolley-bash nobody and nobody trolley-bashes me! Dizziness in the aisles was an issue when I was still mobile.

« Reply #8 on: 31 March, 2014, 09:25:22 am »
I didn't know that about Perthes!
You learn something every day!
What's becoming clear (there are two major studies ongoing atm) is that nobody knows much about Perthes. They don't know why it happens. Preliminary results of a study into the effectiveness of treatments is suggesting that the treatment has little effect on outcome . . . Surgical interventions such as femoral oesteopathy, pinning and assorted scaffolding is as successful as massive reduction in weightbearing movement plus physiotherapy.

I was the recipient of an experimental treatment involving the use of (removable) leg braces that held my legs at nearly 90 degrees to each other, rotating the femoral head out of the socket. It worked pretty damn well.
More standard treatment (now) for my degree of Perthes is to build an internal scaffold holding the femoral head in 'normal' position - then of course more surgery to remove scaffolding. The mother of one girl who had this treatment has just had an artificial hip fitted after the joint broke down - at 22. Shit, I was running half marathons at 35.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #9 on: 02 April, 2014, 09:53:05 am »
Well - physio assessment yesterday. Very impressively, despite the full waiting room they were running exactly on time.

After 25 min (you get 30), my physio asked if I minded if she consulted a colleague, the senior physio.

Off she trots, returning 5min later.

After another 30min, with me feeling like a fool and hypochondriac, he decides I probably don't have a trapped nerve or spinal stenosis, but that the root of the problem is indeed in my hip. That would make sense, since it's not 'normal'. All involved are a bit bemused that I haven't had lots of surgery. It's the second question they ask: "How much surgery have you had?". "None" really throws them.

Conclusion is that there is a deep-seated misfunction in my right hip, causing me to move/walk etc oddly and stressing my lower back, that this has been happening all my life and current problems are the result of accumulated strain.

A lot of tut-tutting over my wooden stick (made during a school trip while I was supervising kids). I have a lovely NHS-issued grey one now, which I need if I'm walking any distance.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Chris S

« Reply #10 on: 14 May, 2014, 10:50:09 am »
I find this article quite interesting, in view of recent events in my world.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-27389257

The A&E team did remark about my RHR and "how fit I must be".

« Reply #11 on: 14 May, 2014, 12:21:48 pm »
I'm surprised they think it is news. The massive drop in blood pressure when ceasing hard exercise has long been known of; if you teach sport (which I used to part-time), then you have to really watch the kids and make sure they cool down properly.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

simonp

« Reply #12 on: 14 May, 2014, 03:15:16 pm »
It's been discussed here previously that extreme endurance is potentially bad for the heart.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #13 on: 14 May, 2014, 04:25:24 pm »
It's been discussed here previously that extreme endurance is potentially bad for the heart.

Taking a heavy saucepan out of the cupboard appears to be bad for mine. I've had to sit down for half an hour.
Angiogram in about 3 weeks followed by ultrasound scan the week after.. I hope they'll find out what the matter is and fix it.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #14 on: 14 May, 2014, 05:22:04 pm »
'twas probably the thought of the washing up after the cooking that did you in.

Hope it is nothing to worry about.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #15 on: 14 May, 2014, 06:52:00 pm »
 ;D  I'm sure Mrs n would believe, "I can't manage to do the washing up".

I think I'm past the worrying bit. I'm now just fed up with it.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #16 on: 04 September, 2014, 12:44:10 pm »
Sodding back/leg issues again

Using a stick again. Mild vertigo when lying down is preventing me from sleeping.

I'm 90% sure this is due to MrsC pushing me over when I was part-way through a single-leg squat (one of my physio exercises). She thought it was funny. It tore muscles in my lower back, since they were at their load limit at the time.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #17 on: 26 September, 2014, 09:10:44 am »
Gouty bastard. Ow ow ow. Two nights in a row woken up at 3am by pain in the ankle, hardly able to walk this morning. Got no good painkillers left, trying to survive on ibuprofen gel and paracetamol.

Ow ow ow. I've never had such bad pain in my life. It's like somebody has taken my foot off, and hammered a big thick nail into the ankle joint up my leg bone, then put my foot back on again. Walking feels like I'm pushing the nail further in.  :'(

The only thing that cheers me up is my beautiful wife pronounces it "goat", and asks me, "how is your goat this morning"  ;D

simonp

« Reply #18 on: 02 October, 2014, 09:15:04 am »
Rolled my foot playing football last night (I was able to continue playing but it’s got a lot worse overnight).

Trying to decide if I can rule out an avulsion fracture of the 5th metatarsal and just call it a sprain. I strongly suspect I’d have not been able to continue if I’d fractured it. There’s visible redness on the skin on the lateral top surface of my foot. I’ll be having to work from home today as I don’t see riding the motorbike with limited foot movement (for changing gear) as sensible.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #19 on: 02 October, 2014, 09:21:16 am »
Gouty bastard. Ow ow ow. Two nights in a row woken up at 3am by pain in the ankle, hardly able to walk this morning. Got no good painkillers left, trying to survive on ibuprofen gel and paracetamol.

Ow ow ow. I've never had such bad pain in my life. It's like somebody has taken my foot off, and hammered a big thick nail into the ankle joint up my leg bone, then put my foot back on again. Walking feels like I'm pushing the nail further in.  :'(

The only thing that cheers me up is my beautiful wife pronounces it "goat", and asks me, "how is your goat this morning"  ;D

Much sympathy, Hulver! Your description makes it sound like my rheumatoid arthritis, and gout is indeed closely related to arthritis. Goat might be a well for all I know.
The loss of humanity I could live with.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #20 on: 02 October, 2014, 09:25:40 am »
Much sympathy, Hulver! Your description makes it sound like my rheumatoid arthritis, and gout is indeed closely related to arthritis. Goat might be a well for all I know.

Cheers Wow. If that's what rheumatoid arthritis is like, I hope I never get that. You have my sympathies.

The pain is easing off now. I'm able to walk almost normally unless I stand at an odd angle or something. It's made me very aware of just how bad the surface of many pavements is, when you can't move your foot at odd angles, you really notice uneven surfaces.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #21 on: 09 October, 2014, 12:46:20 pm »
I have just lost a filling big enough to register on the Weight Loss thread.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #22 on: 09 October, 2014, 12:56:52 pm »
I went for my weekly after-work walk with my wife on tuesday and my feet didn't hurt.

Just over a year ago I developed Plantar Faciitis and spent a year feeling like I was walking on golf-balls.

My Doctor basically told me it will clear up over time.

Finally I walked an entire hour with no pain and not even any aches. 
It's not gone entirely but it seems like the road to recovery is nearly walked.

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #23 on: 10 October, 2014, 08:31:33 am »
Just registered for an beginners / intermediates Yoga class!   :)  First class will be on Monday 13th October, should be interesting, as at the moment, I can hardly touch my toes!   :facepalm:

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #24 on: 10 October, 2014, 08:49:14 am »
I have never been able to touch my toes without bending my knees, even when I was at primary school.