Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 460747 times)

Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #2225 on: 07 June, 2018, 01:47:58 pm »
A new gym just opened up around the corner, it looks quite nice so I went along for a 'briefing'.  It's a grand for a series of induction classes and then 200 pounds a month... I might not join. [what planet, etc..]

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2226 on: 07 June, 2018, 02:16:57 pm »
****!!!!

David is paying £16/month for his membership of 'the gym'. This was an introductory offer and standard membership is £19.99/month.

DAvid doesn't like the muzack thobut...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2227 on: 07 June, 2018, 02:19:27 pm »
 :o :o :o

Our local council owned gym £100 pa.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #2228 on: 07 June, 2018, 11:21:05 pm »
I had forgotten how tiring constant low grade pain is. My hip has deteriorated to 4-6 co-codamol per day to maintain a 4/5 on the 1-10 pain scale. Role on two weeks time and the consultant appointment which will probably go along the lines of hello your back, i don't have any recent images so please go for xray and here is a referral for an MRI in 8 weeks time and i will see you 4 weeks after that to discuss.

At the current rate of deterioration i am going to have to investigate blue badges as that is the only way i can jump the queue for an on site parking space and 1/2 a mile to the off site parking is too much even with a stick.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2229 on: 08 June, 2018, 06:56:10 am »
Blue badges are notoriously hard to get unless the "impairment" is likely to be permanent.

HOWEVER... As you have had this hip thing for some time, and it is deteriorating again, this is a recurrence of an existing disability and you have rights under the Equality Act to "reasonable adjustments" one of which could be to provide you with more local parking.

Seek a work Occy Health appt and see what they say. Show them how long you've had and how long the waits are for treatment. Hopefully they will agree. Feel free to PM me if you want more specific advice as I know these hoops well.

You have the right not to be in pain or made to walk so far you're in pain.

« Reply #2230 on: 08 June, 2018, 02:14:02 pm »
I agree blue badges should be hard to get, I don't believe I currently warrant one, however my client (I am on secondment to their office) does not seem to be able to jump me up the 3 year wait for onsite parking without issuing me a pass for the disabled parking bays.

I have been given a temporary pass for the onsite disabled bays (as would be procedure for broken leg etc.) until after I see the consultant in two weeks time. Therefore one of the items I am going to need from him is a letter to work to explain my condition and request onsite parking.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2231 on: 08 June, 2018, 02:53:32 pm »
I don't think you can get a Blue Badge for impairments likely to last less than three months BICBW.

Hope you hip gets sorted PDQ!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2232 on: 08 June, 2018, 04:08:28 pm »
Vitreous humour now shrinking in right eye - the "floating spider" mark, where it was in contact with the retina over the optic nerve, is now swanning about when I move the eye, and divers other blobs are appearing. That's both eyes crocked within a month and nothing to be done about it.  :(
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2233 on: 08 June, 2018, 05:16:03 pm »
Well if the disabled parking bays are on private land they don't need a blue badge...

Hopefully with a consultant letter they will agree to let you use the disabled bays or some other parking space on-site. How they do it is their problem, but they HAVE to do it.

« Reply #2234 on: 14 June, 2018, 05:45:36 pm »
Finally I'm able to sit on both cheeks, after a week of only being able to sit on the left cheek, I'm genuinely surprised at the amount of pain and discomfort caused by a large bruise on the outside of my right cheek. A week ago my foot slipped of the pedal as I accelerated away from a set of lights and I banged the outside of my right cheek on the nose of the saddle but stayed on the bike. I'm now able to sleep on my back as well as sleep on my left side, I'm hoping to get back to sleeping on my right side soon, the side I habitually sleep on.

« Reply #2235 on: 18 June, 2018, 08:05:47 am »
Since I started audaxing just over a year ago, I seem to have become much more susceptible to annoying ENT type stuff, particularly tonsillitis and sinusitis. Anyone else experienced this, or am I just weak?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2236 on: 18 June, 2018, 08:47:58 am »
It's the opposite for me: long rides leave everything clear.  It's household dust that gets me, that and maybe the dogs.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2237 on: 18 June, 2018, 12:04:00 pm »
I had more colds in my first year of audaxing but that settled.

Now, my cleaner gets surprised if I sneeze cos I don't get lurgied very often at all.

« Reply #2238 on: 18 June, 2018, 03:25:22 pm »
Food poisoning
Lying in bed with zero energy after sleepless night with violent vomiting
Yuk!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2239 on: 18 June, 2018, 03:38:21 pm »
Get Well Soon!

Down the Dioralyte/Gatorade/Lucozade Sport!

IME Sports drinks taste better and come in adult-sized portions.

Are you sure this is not a heart thing?

« Reply #2240 on: 18 June, 2018, 03:39:52 pm »
what fun, frank! I hope you were able to use a bowl or make it to the loo. Cleaning up is so depressing, otherwise.

I, too, had a sleepless night. I don't think that I should be peeing out blood clots this large still (but I guess some pain is to be expected, having been stented up to my kidney).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2241 on: 18 June, 2018, 06:42:00 pm »
My wife and daughter weren't well either so not specific to me. Either food poisoning or a bug from nursery.
We were round at friends for lunch yesterday so I've just sent the awkward email asking how they are. If it's food poisoning they have given us it and if a bug we may have given it to them!
Annoying thing is it might delay my heart op.

I managed to get to the bathroom in time in both occasions. Sounds like I probably had a more comfortable night than you, mrc.

Chris S

« Reply #2242 on: 18 June, 2018, 07:46:57 pm »
If you have to take a bucket into the loo because it's "both ends", and you feel the need to hang a note on the door saying "No access until further notice" then it's probably something an outsider brought home. In my experience. Bonus points if it's Christmas Day. And then you infect your 90 year old Mother. And it was all brought into the house by your MIL.

Oh.... just me?

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #2243 on: 19 June, 2018, 12:27:15 am »
" Y' might wanna give it a few minutes, bloke!"

Croc' Dundee, my favourite quote!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #2244 on: 03 July, 2018, 07:58:33 am »
Just about to give my teeth a squirt with my Waterpik jetwash thing & noticed the tank had a layer of green stuff at the bottom. First time that’s happened in the couple of years I’ve owned it. Must be the constant sunny weather.  It’s now filled with Milton & I’ll be keeping it off the window ledge.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #2245 on: 03 July, 2018, 09:44:11 am »
Kicking a ball around with my daughter on Sunday I thwacked it hard into the railings to rebound to her. Railings being round, it rebounded differently to how I expected - directly under the foot I was landing on! In the resulting falling over I managed to put all my weight onto the tips of my toes bending the toes upward and the foot the other way.  :o
X Rays didn't show anything, but 2 days on and while the swelling has gone down a bit walking still hurts and driving is not possible (right foot obv - I have an auto so could drive if it were my left). Sigh.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2246 on: 03 July, 2018, 10:56:50 am »
I feel your pain. No, wait, I don't: I feel mine. Hope we both GWS.

« Reply #2247 on: 03 July, 2018, 10:36:21 pm »
You can drive an automatic with the left foot. Best done in a slow traffic jam where you just gently move along. Spent 7 weeks doing this some years ago.

My wife tried it and drove into friends garage door.

« Reply #2248 on: 04 July, 2018, 01:57:16 pm »
I tried left foot braking on my way home after I first injured it. It worked OK where I could concentrate on the left foot, but where I thought about something else it all came to an abrupt halt! I can drive again using my right foot now - it's not as painful as it was, but it's still massively swollen (including the ankle), and the whole foot is in the process of turning into one giant bruise! Elevating it in the hours afterwards would probably have been a good plan, but the A&E chairs don't really allow for that!  ::-)
Current treatment protocol is ibuprofen after meals, elevate where possible, try not to walk much, and wait and see...

« Reply #2249 on: 05 July, 2018, 01:51:28 pm »
Since I started audaxing just over a year ago, I seem to have become much more susceptible to annoying ENT type stuff, particularly tonsillitis and sinusitis. Anyone else experienced this, or am I just weak?

I used to get colds after long bouts of exercise (such as Audax).

Having a large dose of protein within 45 minutes (ideally 20) of finishing made it all but go away for me. I usually have 500ml of chocolate milk (my personal rule is that I need to have burned off at least double the calories to warrant it).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."