Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 460736 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #25 on: 10 October, 2014, 09:17:42 am »
Cyclists' hamstrings get shorter (or summat like that) so it's more difficult for us.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #26 on: 13 October, 2014, 05:26:11 pm »
Well, Yoga class tonight! No doubt i'll probably be the  stiffest unbendiest in the class!   :-[

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #27 on: 13 October, 2014, 05:37:21 pm »
Cyclists' hamstrings get shorter (or summat like that) so it's more difficult for us.
That is certainly reported frequently.

No problem here. My reach is better than 20 years ago, despite the bike being my main exercise for about 8 years.

I suspect stretching almost every day helps a lot.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #28 on: 13 October, 2014, 06:03:51 pm »
Well, Yoga class tonight! No doubt i'll probably be the  stiffest unbendiest in the class!   :-[
good luck! I've been failing to get myself to one for the past three weeks. Hopefully I'll manage it tomorrow. What sort of yoga will you be doing?

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #29 on: 13 October, 2014, 08:30:10 pm »
Now the winter is setting in I figured I needed some non-cycling shenanigans to compensate for the lack of miles en velo. My fun of choice is ultimate frisbee, and tonight was my first time back since at least the spring, if not last year.

...My $DEITY, I'm knackered. While a summer on the bike has improved my cardio, I am still way too unfit for this lark - although there were comments of "woah, he's still running" and that I wasn't dying quite so noisly or as often as before. And my feet hurt, now they've actually had to do some work. And my legs are stiffer than anything.

Oh, and I took a disc to the face so I'll probably be going to work tomorrow with a fat lip. [/grumble]

simonp

« Reply #30 on: 14 October, 2014, 01:05:52 am »
good luck! I've been failing to get myself to one for the past three weeks. Hopefully I'll manage it tomorrow. What sort of yoga will you be doing?

Maybe this kind:

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/sea/2597736393.html

BrianI

« Reply #31 on: 14 October, 2014, 07:11:47 pm »

First class went well. This week and next week is a mixed ability class due to it being the october mid term holidays.  We did various poses including sun salutations and Core Strength Vinyasa style. Yoga teacher thinks I should be OK to go into the intermediate class, rather than the complete beginners class. 

Really felt the benefit today, I felt like my muscles were all floaty rather than my usual stiff and creaky self!   :) 

« Reply #32 on: 14 October, 2014, 08:44:08 pm »
Well done Brian. You inspired me to go tonight. It's mindfulness/hatha yoga and involved breathing exercises and meditation. I enjoyed it. Some of the poses were tough, though! Looking forward to improving.

« Reply #33 on: 14 October, 2014, 09:05:04 pm »
Well done Brian. You inspired me to go tonight. It's mindfulness/hatha yoga and involved breathing exercises and meditation. I enjoyed it. Some of the poses were tough, though! Looking forward to improving.

Good!

Si_Co

« Reply #34 on: 15 October, 2014, 10:01:13 am »
I can still get my feet round the back of my neck, although not both at the same time anymore , <recalls getting stuck in the cinema like this>  :-[

« Reply #35 on: 15 October, 2014, 06:45:32 pm »
My back is killing me today. This happened the last time I tried yoga. I took it easy, too, on the advice of the teacher, missing out the harder poses and using blocks. I think I have a more structural lower back problem. Bother.  >:(

BrianI

« Reply #36 on: 20 October, 2014, 05:34:40 pm »

My back is killing me today. This happened the last time I tried yoga. I took it easy, too, on the advice of the teacher, missing out the harder poses and using blocks. I think I have a more structural lower back problem. Bother.  >:(

Sorry!   :-[  Hope your back is better now!

Anyway, looking forward to my yoga tonight!

« Reply #37 on: 21 October, 2014, 12:10:14 pm »
I've got bloody ringworm, on my foot!!!?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #38 on: 21 October, 2014, 01:45:12 pm »
Tinea, tinea, whyfor art though tinea?
Be glad it's not tænia! Then tour ringworm would be a tapeworm!

Tinea pedis = 'athletes' foot'
Tinea unguium = manky fungal nails
Tinea corporis = ringworm
Tinea cruris = dhobi or jock itch

Tænia solium = pork tapeworm.

Canesten/clotrimazole is pretty good for fungal skin trouble but won't touch the nails.

Chris S

« Reply #39 on: 21 October, 2014, 07:23:56 pm »
A few days ago, I did a rather good job of cutting my left index finger, whilst preparing dinner.

It's healing - but it's at that "Hot and Red" stage which makes you wonder if it's just the healing in overdrive, or it's getting infected.

« Reply #40 on: 21 October, 2014, 08:00:12 pm »
athletes foot sounds healthier than ringworm ?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #41 on: 21 October, 2014, 08:07:36 pm »
athletes foot sounds healthier than ringworm ?

Purely semantics.
Scaly skin by any common name is just as itchy!

« Reply #42 on: 23 October, 2014, 08:45:19 pm »
I put a plate of food on the table, turned and . . . tore a ligament or something similar in my back.

Only just able to walk now.  Effing ridiculous. I used to have the reputation of being indestructible, knicknamed 'wolverine' for my  apparent ability to instantly heal from impacts etc. If I fell off something, I bounced.

Now serving dinner is beyond me.  :-[
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #43 on: 24 October, 2014, 10:08:27 am »
Followed by a full-on IBS attack at 2am.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

simonp

« Reply #44 on: 24 October, 2014, 11:14:25 am »
Not good mrcharly.

I got up at 6.15am to go to the 7am* spinning class at the gym. Then I did some weights (squats, leg press, leg curl). New PBs for all three. Then 5km on the rowing machine, back home for breakfast and a shower, and then into work.

Going to visit a climbing wall this lunchtime.

* My plan to make myself get up for an early gym session by booking a class worked.

« Reply #45 on: 24 October, 2014, 11:25:47 am »
How dare you bit so fit, you cycling *****!
(joking, enviously)

I do wonder if the back twizzle brought on IBS. I don't normally get full IBS spasms, not like last night. I have a known issue with my very lower spine that causes nerve 'crimping' with odd associated problems.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Chris S

« Reply #46 on: 24 October, 2014, 12:06:02 pm »
I've just been reading an article that refers to a study done in 1960 where three sets of lab rats were fed a variety of diets. The first (control) set were fed normal lab rat food and water, the second set were fed cornflakes and water and the third set were fed the boxes that the second set's cornflakes came in, plus water.

The control set lived a year. The rats eating the cornflakes died in a couple of weeks, but rather crucially, they died before the rats eating the cardboard boxes  :o.

The (rather sweeping) conclusion drawn from this - there's more nutrition in the cardboard box cornflakes come in, than the cornflakes themselves.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #47 on: 24 October, 2014, 01:45:12 pm »
I've just been reading an article that refers to a study done in 1960 where three sets of lab rats were fed a variety of diets. The first (control) set were fed normal lab rat food and water, the second set were fed cornflakes and water and the third set were fed the boxes that the second set's cornflakes came in, plus water.

The control set lived a year. The rats eating the cornflakes died in a couple of weeks, but rather crucially, they died before the rats eating the cardboard boxes  :o.

The (rather sweeping) conclusion drawn from this - there's more nutrition in the cardboard box cornflakes come in, than the cornflakes themselves.

My Mummy has always maintained this to me. I don't know if she read the study.
My cornflakes are only supplied in a plastic bag; I would not recommend eating that...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #48 on: 24 October, 2014, 02:02:31 pm »
Corn flakes used to be in waxed paper bags within their box.
The loss of humanity I could live with.

« Reply #49 on: 24 October, 2014, 02:03:25 pm »
"The (rather sweeping) conclusion drawn from this - there's more nutrition in the cardboard box cornflakes come in, than the cornflakes themselves."

For a rat.