Author Topic: Audax, on the BBC  (Read 9124 times)

Audax, on the BBC
« on: 03 December, 2014, 12:11:12 pm »
BBC Scotland are showing Sore In The Saddle an Adventure Show special next Tuesday (9 Dec)  Those of us outside the region can catch up on iPlayer. <a href="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=112902193&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA" target="_blank">http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=112902193&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA</a>
Neil,

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: Audax, on the BBC
« Reply #1 on: 03 December, 2014, 12:14:16 pm »
Yep looking forward to it. You can also get BBC2 Scotland if you have Sky/Freesat :)

There's another thread going on it here: -
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=86474.0
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #2 on: 03 December, 2014, 12:27:27 pm »
If there's one way to deter people from riding bicycles, you put 'sore' and 'saddle' in the same sentance and use it as the title of a TV programme.

« Reply #3 on: 03 December, 2014, 12:33:26 pm »
"I got up at 0430...

...a day and a half ago!"  ;D

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #4 on: 03 December, 2014, 12:50:23 pm »
"I got up at 0430...

...a day and a half ago!"  ;D

That blokes is a looney!! He could have got 3 hours of sleep with us instead of going straight back out the door! There is not tellin some folk! :O)
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #5 on: 03 December, 2014, 01:03:04 pm »
If there's one way to deter people from riding bicycles, you put 'sore' and 'saddle' in the same sentance and use it as the title of a TV programme.

I was thinking it was a curious title, since I'd guess very few riders would have actually been 'sore in the saddle'.  Was anyone s-i-t-s?   ;)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #6 on: 03 December, 2014, 01:06:57 pm »

I was thinking it was a curious title, since I'd guess very few riders would have actually been 'sore in the saddle'.  Was anyone s-i-t-s?   ;)

I am just hoping the cameras weren't in A&E when Dave_C was having his arse examined. 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #7 on: 03 December, 2014, 01:16:11 pm »
Reminds me of the time when Alan Shearer, Adrian Chiles and others rode from Newcastle to London via West Bromwich in two days for Sport relief.

In Aylesbury, we had a jolly conversation and everything was fine. They had cramp a few times but otherwise, they and the other six riders were fine.

On the ‘One Show’ the next week, fun was had and Adrian was presented with a medical rubber ring to sit on, because it IS a thing about cycling that you ALWAYS get a sore backside.

Good ole BBC.

What didn’t go out on screen was Alan Shearer’s comments about ‘This is the best way to see our beautiful country.” at Frankie & Bennie’s in Bicester.

Good ole BBC.

« Reply #8 on: 03 December, 2014, 01:16:47 pm »
All PBP qualifiers now entered as a precaution against Sportivist booking frenzy.

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #9 on: 03 December, 2014, 02:18:35 pm »
I am just hoping the cameras weren't in A&E when Dave_C was having his arse examined.

Nope but the new spy on the wall program 24 hours in Fort William A&E will be embarressing!  :hand:
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #10 on: 03 December, 2014, 02:26:48 pm »

Nope but the new spy on the wall program 24 hours in Fort William A&E will be embarressing!  :hand:

"Well Mr. C., due to the cuts in the NHS, I am afraid we're out of lubrication"
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

simonp

« Reply #11 on: 03 December, 2014, 04:34:21 pm »

Think they misheard, he surely must have said after riding the 1300k, "I need my head examined".

« Reply #12 on: 04 December, 2014, 12:49:55 pm »

"Well Mr. C., due to the cuts in the NHS, I am afraid we're out of lubrication"

"What! You're a nurse. You should know how to make some."

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #13 on: 08 December, 2014, 09:35:10 pm »
Humm, I just poked a freesat PVR into life, and had a grope around the channels.

Seems the regional variants of BBC2 are not available in HD!
Just 'BBC2 HD', the English variant.
Boo!

Looks like we'll have to slum it in Grandpa's old SD.

« Reply #14 on: 09 December, 2014, 12:33:23 am »
They shot their stuff in 1080i, so it can only ever be half as detailed as our recent films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qreIQjtClbw

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #15 on: 11 December, 2014, 09:40:45 am »
Its on iPlayer- have just downloaded it on the sky box.

« Reply #16 on: 13 December, 2014, 08:11:00 pm »
Loved it.
Brilliant!
I dunno why anybody's doing this!

« Reply #17 on: 20 December, 2014, 08:55:12 am »
Looks like this is the only thread left unlocked

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #18 on: 20 December, 2014, 10:01:25 am »
They shot their stuff in 1080i, so it can only ever be half as detailed as our recent films.

Clueless amateurs eh?  ::-)
Not surprised everybody thought it was a pretty poor effort.

It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #19 on: 20 December, 2014, 10:17:38 am »
Didn't seem too grainy on our Sony Bravia HD but think how good the west coast might have looked.....it could even have started to rival my beloved Cairngorms.

Incidentally is it safe to mention Sony in a post?
Pete Crane E75 @petecrane5

« Reply #20 on: 20 December, 2014, 10:32:52 am »
Dunno

If it invokes the North Korean hackers and LWaB maybe they'll cancel each other out

;)

« Reply #21 on: 20 December, 2014, 10:37:38 am »

Clueless amateurs eh?  ::-)
Not surprised everybody thought it was a pretty poor effort.

Their film was for broadcast, so 1080i is the appropriate form. If the aim is internet and Blu-Ray, then 1080p gives more definition. 1080i is better for motion, but GoPros shoot progressive anyway, so there can be problems with capturing motion.

« Reply #22 on: 20 December, 2014, 11:05:53 am »
Mrs graculus watched this last night (I caught most of it before heading off to bed). Were both impressed.
She had the following reactions :

What wonderful scenery. We must go touring there sometime.
Were there no women?
How do I find out were the nearest audax is? (suggested audax UK forum. This morning there is a print out of the Cambrian- Welsh Marches on the computer desk. Oh dear)

« Reply #23 on: 20 December, 2014, 01:49:34 pm »
I had a very interesting e-mail correspondence with the main filming director prior to and during the event. Here's the initial exchange. We went on to discuss technicalities.

Hi,

It's good to see someone tackling filming a long Audax ride. I'm an Audaxer who's made a number of films about 1200 km plus rides. I'm planning to film a 1200km ride in Ireland this year. last year we filmed the London Edinburgh London ride.

This is the first half of the 40 minute film we made for the LEL, it's enthusiast focused.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFqZxRrO_cM

Should you want any background material I've got plenty of LEL and Paris Brest Paris, in HD, the recent stuff shot with a Canon XF 100, with some earlier on Canon SLR. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCi6ucYgFFk

We've generally found that it's easy to film the first parts of the ride, but capturing the night-time sequences on the 3rd or 4th nights is the difficult bit, especially as the field can be spread over hundreds of miles. Don't hesitate to contact me if you need any footage for background, or are interested in our experiences of planning for filming.

Regards,

Hi Damon

Thanks very much for getting in touch.  Mark had told me about you when I first started researching this and I'd passed on your details to the prorgamme producer Margaret Wicks.

I've copied this to her because your films are good quality and capture the events well - they're certainly worth watching.  Are you going to be coming on this Highland's Audax?

I realise the tricky part will come after the first couple of days, particular as we hope for follow different 'types' of riders.  Some will be going for a good time while others will just hope to finish.  I appreciate you identifying this as an issue because it reaffirms what I suspected.

Mark says he'll send out an email on our behalf so we can learn more about all the riders.  Once we've identified a few, and the filming draws closer, I will take you up on your offer of a chat - I'm sure your advice will be extremely helpful.

Thanks again for getting in touch.

S

Obviously I'd like to sell them some background footage, but I'm also interested in the technical aspects.

Filming from the bike,and especially getting interviews with clean sound, is the bit that's never been entirely solved. I'd hoped that this film might do that.

So I'm looking at the film to see how good the on-bike footage is, the scenery is a given. The weather was perfect and you can put the camera on a tripod.
GoPro attached to the bike seems to be too wobbly, even when stabilised it gives a 'jello effect'. Which derives from the type of shutter. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_shutter
 A handheld HD camera seems to give better results, but I didn't hear much sound from it.

Filming from the back of a car is the usual solution to those problems, but the roads used wouldn't allow that, and it's easier with a bigger field, as the opportunities to do it are greater. You could be waiting two hours at a suitable spot for only one rider. A motor bike allows you to pass riders, drop off a cameraman, and park easily, and to film on the move, sound is difficult though.

It's obviously a good film, but it hasn't solved the problems I'm interested in. They might have got further if they'd had a lot more riders, as they'd have had more chances to get it right. Reviewing Go-Pro footage during the event is also not as easy as with camcorders, especially when sleep-deprived. That makes for a steep learning curve with poor feedback.

There's an opening for a more general Audax film on a national channel, BBC4 perhaps. Clearly I'd be happy to provide footage for a project like that, or there's Madegood's LEL footage. Their film seems to be closer in style to this one than mine are. They both focus more on specific participants.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #24 on: 20 December, 2014, 03:00:15 pm »
It's obviously a good film, but it hasn't solved the problems I'm interested in. They might have got further if they'd had a lot more riders, as they'd have had more chances to get it right. Reviewing Go-Pro footage during the event is also not as easy as with camcorders, especially when sleep-deprived. That makes for a steep learning curve with poor feedback.
There was a fellow with a GoPro on the seatpost of a bike but I didn't see hardly any of that footage in the film.
I don't think the scotland film was aimed at audaxers.

I think the only way to get the type of footage you'd like is either from another rider or from a UAV. In the case of the former maybe the camera would have to be attached to the person rather than the bike as the person's body acts as suspension.
I think you should maybe have a go using a drone though, that would be quite interesting. Can they be programmed to 'track' another moving object (i.e. a rider/group, maybe with a 'tracker' on their handlebars) I wonder?