Author Topic: Hipster meals thread of shame  (Read 10534 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Re: Hipster meals thread of shame
« Reply #25 on: 24 May, 2016, 10:11:43 pm »
Heh, didn't one chain do those in Ciabatta?  (All Bar One?) 

Still kind of makes me  :facepalm:

That is wrong, in such a way that can never be explained.  It is plain white medium sliced bread, none of your crusty bread shite.  It is like a sugar sandwich. Now available on toasted sourdough with aioli oil.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #26 on: 24 May, 2016, 10:13:12 pm »
Before it closed down, Revolutions (of the many vodkas and vomiting teenagers fame) in Swindon did a "posh" fishfinger sandwich. Which is missing the point somewhat, non?

It's okay if you say it's 'ironic'.  You might even get away with 'post-modern'.

The next phase will be "authentic" versions of things like this. A fishfinger sandwich using Findus fishfingers and Motherspride bread with Heinz ketchup and Sarsons malt vinegar. It will be severed on a rusty trowel accompanied by Vimto in a jam jar: a bargain at £15.

There is a whole fuck off with your jam jar shite rant coming....along with put it on a fucking plate.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #27 on: 25 May, 2016, 08:40:13 pm »
The most hipsterish thing I've made for myself was falafel and salad wrap with tahini.  Sainsbury's tahini is vile, don't bother.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ian

« Reply #28 on: 25 May, 2016, 08:46:58 pm »
Oddly, I like drinking out of the jam jars. It brings out my inner hobo. I had some splendid IPA in jam jars in both Nashville and, erm, Herne Hill recently.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #29 on: 26 May, 2016, 09:49:19 am »
Nashville?  Hobo?  Punk attitude?

Are you sure you're not Seasick Steve?

(Heavily disguised by Tidy Hair, obv)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #30 on: 26 May, 2016, 02:59:34 pm »
I'm sure. I don't even get seasick.

Nashville was where I tried to scale My Own Porcine Everest and failed.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #31 on: 26 May, 2016, 03:07:49 pm »
Don't forget, a hipster meal cannot be a hipster meal if it served on a plate. A bread board is only a marginally-hipster food support device. It may have been fully hipster in the past, but the bread board is now at the edge of hipster-dom. We recently ate at a restaurant where a korma was served in an enamel dish from the 1940s (so far so practical-but-kitsch), yet the rice was piled on a sheet of greaseproof paper, on a tray. The problem was, we didn't even know we were in a hipster restaurant. There was no warning, and frankly, no justification. After a few moments of 'chase the grains', Ms Fruitcake requested a plate, and harmony was restored.

Unlike the catastrophe supporting this starter (and I truly hope this is a starter). There can be nothing harmonious about bread on roofing material. Nothing.

You might be wondering, how much worse this can get? Sadly, it gets far worse, as documented at twitter.com/wewantplates.
(click to show/hide)

red marley

« Reply #32 on: 26 May, 2016, 03:18:37 pm »
Sorry for the diversion back a week, but I couldn't resist...

My wife prefers to stay in Santa Monica because she's scaredy. Wait till she finds out I'm planning to take her to Kinshasa later this year.

My wife's going to Kinshasa for her holidays.
Jamaica?
Yes.

OK, back to the smashed avocado on sourdough.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #33 on: 26 May, 2016, 05:06:11 pm »
wewantplates.com to kill your inner hipster...

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #34 on: 26 May, 2016, 05:27:25 pm »
>You might be wondering, how much worse this can get? Sadly, it gets far worse, as documented at twitter.com/wewantplates.

(click to show/hide)
Potatoes served in plant pots and desserts served on flip flops.<<

Jeez, I think I just wet myself  :facepalm:   Thanks for that.

It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #35 on: 27 May, 2016, 03:45:32 pm »
Rice on greaseproof paper or potatoes in plant pots are merely annoyingly trendy and somewhat impractical but dessert on a flip-flop, or any sort of food served on or in any sort of footwear, is really unappetising.  :sick:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #36 on: 27 May, 2016, 04:04:31 pm »
Rice on greaseproof paper or potatoes in plant pots are merely annoyingly trendy and somewhat impractical but dessert on a flip-flop, or any sort of food served on or in any sort of footwear, is really unappetising.  :sick:

I always eat my rice pudding from an old sidi..... does that make me a hipster?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #37 on: 27 May, 2016, 04:06:04 pm »
More of a footster than a hipster!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #38 on: 27 May, 2016, 05:06:20 pm »

Best stay away from royal functions, Cudzo, in case you're asked to drink champagne from the Duchess' slippers.

caerau

« Reply #39 on: 27 May, 2016, 05:14:23 pm »
The ones that got me were the restaurants that though serving food in a dog-bowl would be attractive  ??? ??? ??? ???

They must have seen dogs eat right?

« Reply #40 on: 28 May, 2016, 11:52:29 pm »

I always eat my rice pudding from an old sidi..... does that make me a hipster?
More of a footsteran audaxer than a hipster!

FTFY.

More truth, less punnage. What's not to like?

« Reply #41 on: 29 May, 2016, 12:19:12 am »

Best stay away from royal functions, Cudzo, in case you're asked to drink champagne from the Duchess' slippers.

<Tom Lehrer>

Quote from: The Wiener Schnitzel Waltz
Oh, I drank some champagne from your shoe, la l-la.
I was drunk by the time I got through, la l-la.
For I didn't know as I raised that cup,
It had taken two bottles to fill the thing up.

</Tom Lehrer>
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #42 on: 29 May, 2016, 03:52:17 pm »
I expect that when plates were developed the people who were used to trenchers of bread found them frivolous too.

« Reply #43 on: 01 June, 2016, 09:26:31 am »
Yay it has come to pass, peak hipster food. When visiting Malton food fair this weekend amongst the organic beef, ostrich burger, and middle eastern street food stalls I cam upon one who's entire range of comestibles consisted on variations on ......

THE FISH-FINGER SANDWICH !

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

caerau

« Reply #44 on: 01 June, 2016, 01:48:03 pm »
Hipster coffee goes viral (not literally I hope ;-) )

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-36423824

« Reply #45 on: 07 May, 2018, 09:35:04 pm »

This thread seems as good a place as any to post this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2018/05/07/netanyahu-puts-wrong-foot-forward-by-serving-japans-abe-dessert-in-a-shoe/
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #46 on: 07 May, 2018, 11:37:36 pm »
Quote from: Shinzo Abe

Well I managed to take out the Mossad agents with a can of mace, but the prime minister and his deputy, that's a different story altogether... I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...