Author Topic: Television tonight: what's worth watching?  (Read 333253 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Television tonight, whats worth watching
« Reply #225 on: 08 October, 2013, 11:19:45 am »
The air race sounds jolly good, old chap.  :thumbsup:

Not full live coverage of the whole event though, I presume.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

LEE

« Reply #226 on: 08 October, 2013, 01:30:23 pm »
Tonight's TV schedule 60 years ago. All of it. (I dug around for this because it's my sister's birthday today. Not that I'm trying to make her feel old or anything. Certainly not.)

I think that's "DAVE's" current Thursday schedule.

Shame to think that the Horse of the Year is now 40 year-old glue.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #227 on: 08 October, 2013, 05:53:19 pm »
The air race sounds jolly good, old chap.  :thumbsup:

Not full live coverage of the whole event though, I presume.
It started on the eighth. On subsequent days there was no TV coverage, but 2 daily 10-minute wireless bulletins on the Light Programme.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #228 on: 10 October, 2013, 02:09:39 pm »
The Ottomans: Europe's Muslim Emperors

On BBC 2 and iPlayer. Rageh Omaar's history of the Ottaman Empire. A bit light weight but interesting non the less.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

hillbilly

« Reply #229 on: 01 November, 2013, 07:09:46 am »
Bit of an uptick in new British comedies recently.  Two in particular:

Toast of London (C4 Sundays at 2230hrs).  Matt Berry plays an actor with delusions of brilliance.  Slightly surreal, mixing Mighty Boosh and Father Ted sensibilities.

Drifters (E4 Thursday 2130hrs).  Feckless girls having fun.  I thought I wouldn't like it.  I did.  Like 2 Pints etc and Inbetweeners in tone.

citoyen

« Reply #230 on: 01 November, 2013, 09:06:24 am »
Toast Of London is brilliant. The second episode didn't quite live up to the utter bonkersness of the Bruce Forsyth lookalike business in the first episode but was still very funny. Matt Berry is superb.

Also absolutely loving the new series of Veep on Sky Atlantic. It's basically The Thick Of It transplanted to the White House.

Moving away from comedy, The Tunnel, also on Sky Atlantic is great too - it's an Anglo-French adaptation of The Bridge (Broen) and unlike the US remake of The Killing (Forbrydelsen) works just as well as the original. But that may just be because I'm totally besotted with Clemence Poesy.

And I'm also very much enjoying The Blacklist - an utterly preposterous US drama about a rogue CIA agent turned supergrass, played with typical relish by James Spader. Not highbrow by any stretch of the imagination but lots of fun.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #231 on: 01 November, 2013, 08:16:18 pm »
Can we please stop pluggin Sky-only stuff?!? Breaking Bad is frustration enough!

But yes, Toast of London is great. I think Billy's right about the Father Ted sensibilities.

My obscure US comedy 'Like' would be The Bitch in Apartment 23 (sp?). It's like an american attempt to do Father Ted style surrealism. Anyone that is annoyed by typical US comedy will probably hate it, but it has a lot more to offer if you give it 5 minutes.

(I assume everyone knows that Big Bang Theory started up again yesterday on E4? thought so, hardly needed mentioning, did it ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Ruth

« Reply #232 on: 01 November, 2013, 08:35:20 pm »
I've had Letters to Juliet on with no sound on tonight, the few bits I've peered at have looked like marvellous vintage chick-flick stuff.  I may actually watch that properly tomorrow.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #233 on: 03 November, 2013, 09:32:17 pm »
Portillos great continental railway journeys.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

red marley

« Reply #234 on: 03 November, 2013, 09:37:29 pm »
Can we please stop pluggin Sky-only stuff?!? Breaking Bad is frustration enough!

Sign up for a one-month free trial on Netflix. Take a week off work and watch your way through all five series. Emerge a week later blinking into the light a changed person.

I'm with you on the Sky thing though. Murdoch can whistle for it.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #235 on: 03 November, 2013, 10:03:09 pm »
Bob Servant, Independent.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

citoyen

« Reply #236 on: 04 November, 2013, 10:38:43 am »
I'm with you on the Sky thing though. Murdoch can whistle for it.

Nearly all the decent stuff on Sky is imported, so there are usually other ways to see it...

I'm no fan of Murdoch but we signed up to Sky because we can't get a terrestrial TV signal. There was no such thing as freesat back then. We could go freesat now, I suppose, but we've got the telly bundled with our phone and internet, so it wouldn't necessarily be any cheaper for us. And our internet connection is too rubbish for Netflix to be a viable option.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #237 on: 04 November, 2013, 07:50:33 pm »
And our internet connection is too rubbish for Netflix to be a viable option.
I'm 90% sure this is the case here, even without trying it! I must see if Lovefilm still do loss-leader offers with DVDs ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #238 on: 04 November, 2013, 08:01:53 pm »
Portillos great continental railway journeys.
Bobb watched that yesterday and was impressed at the Milan tailor showing him the bolt of cloth marked as from Huddersfield. As discussed in the episode of Town about Huddersfield, it's the only town in the world which can add value to cloth by adding its name.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

LEE

« Reply #239 on: 05 November, 2013, 01:30:48 pm »
Toast Of London is brilliant. . Matt Berry is superb Matt Berry.

FTFY

I never thought they'd successfully replace Chris Morris in "The IT Crowd" but they did.

" Faaaaatheeeeeerrrrrr"

citoyen

« Reply #240 on: 06 November, 2013, 02:45:57 pm »
New series of Masterchef: The Professionals started this week. I no longer bother with the regular version of Masterchef, and I've never bothered with the Celeb version, but I admit to rather enjoying the professionals - not least for the skills test, featuring Monica Galetti's extraordinary gurning as supposedly highly trained chefs flounder with basic culinary technique. If only they could get rid of the odious Gregg Wallace...

Last night, the "classic" recipe test set by Michel Roux was beer soup. That's soup made with beer. One I'll be trying myself, I think.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #241 on: 08 November, 2013, 03:09:24 pm »
New series of Masterchef: The Professionals started this week.

"Rancid, indigestible, acts against flavour, cuisine against the public. To combat it I've got special men - experts from the home, the pub, from restaurants - these are The Professionals."
It is simpler than it looks.

citoyen

« Reply #242 on: 08 November, 2013, 03:11:13 pm »
 ;D

« Reply #243 on: 08 November, 2013, 09:14:29 pm »
cold war hot jets bbc 2 now interesting

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #244 on: 08 November, 2013, 09:23:15 pm »
Best ever Elvis song on STV just now. Yes, it's a cheap compilation of clips show, but the clips are Elvis.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

citoyen

Television tonight, whats worth watching
« Reply #245 on: 18 November, 2013, 12:36:59 am »
Yonderland.

Pratchettesque fantasy comedy-drama thing from the makers of Horrible Histories. Very funny. The top gag in this week's episode was disguising four truth-telling monks as estate agents.

« Reply #246 on: 23 November, 2013, 11:21:52 am »
BBC2 last night and now on iPlayer

Bach: A Passionate Life

John Eliot Gardiner attempts to get a handle on Bach the man and conducts excerpts of some of his music. Really excellent program from a conductor who has devoted much of his life to Bach's music.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

citoyen

« Reply #247 on: 25 November, 2013, 08:30:33 am »
Has anyone else been watching Man Down on C4? It's essentially a Mr Gilbert from Inbetweeners spin-off, in that it has Greg Davies playing a teacher who hates kids. Although he's a bit less sadistic than Gilbert, and a lot more socially inept.

Plus it has Rik Mayall as his dad and Mrs McClusky as his mum. And the hilarious Roisin Conaty as one of his best mates.

Totally off the wall, utterly puerile, cringingly painful at times and very funny. Think it might have finished now but it's worth catching up with on 4OD.

« Reply #248 on: 25 November, 2013, 09:01:32 am »
I've watched them all and found them hilarious.

Even though Rik is a dwarf compared to Greg, he could actually be his dad. They are extremely similar when side by side.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #249 on: 25 November, 2013, 09:09:11 am »
Not sure if they are still on, or in one case have ever been shown in the UK, but I am currently enjoying (for a certain value of enjoying) "Devious Maids", "Defiance", "Jo" and some series about a special force setup by the courts in Den Haag, the title of which escapes me (can you tell I am getting a lot out of that one? :) )

All good, apart from the last one :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State