Author Topic: Rugby League  (Read 24148 times)

Re: Rugby League
« Reply #75 on: 12 September, 2021, 11:49:36 am »
Losing to Huddersfield.  How embarrassing.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #76 on: 12 September, 2021, 12:25:22 pm »
 ;D

Well done FarTown!  Actually, do you know how many to go down.  If it's more than one, giants could still manage it, I think, because they've played more games already than, most.

« Reply #77 on: 12 September, 2021, 10:52:57 pm »
Nah, it's one up/one down ...
unless the promoted team don't tick the boxes (unlikely) ...
OR the RFL/SL secure massive external funding that requires a rejig for the TV and SL becomes a 10 side comp (even less likely)

« Reply #78 on: 13 September, 2021, 12:28:39 am »
Safe for another season, then!

« Reply #79 on: 13 September, 2021, 06:46:29 pm »
Now, if anyone has an idea how the playoffs work these days…

« Reply #80 on: 13 September, 2021, 07:21:20 pm »
Everybody plays each other four times a week and whatever the result the championship is awarded to St Helens and Hornets go down another two divisions.  That's what usually happens....

« Reply #81 on: 13 September, 2021, 11:17:42 pm »
I'm just guessing here but:
1st & 2nd place have a place in the semis, playing from home (relatively sure I read this somewhere).
Top 6 playoffs (I think)
So maybe 3 vs 6 and 4 vs 5 for a place in the playoffs, lowest place qualifier plays 1st and highest plays 2nd.

I can't bring myself to hope, but we have beaten Sintellens twice this year ...

« Reply #82 on: 24 September, 2021, 11:47:45 pm »
Well done those Yorkshire lads!  Did not expect either of those outcomes.
To be fair, though, still reckon it will be the top two in the final, hope Leeds leave Sts reeling and off the pace for the final.

« Reply #83 on: 25 September, 2021, 12:10:03 am »
Yes, that was a bit of a turn-up!

« Reply #84 on: 26 September, 2021, 06:44:18 pm »
Leeds have won the grand final from 5th twice already, hope we can topple Saints to try and make it 3 times.

« Reply #85 on: 28 September, 2021, 10:32:44 pm »
I'd fancy our chances against Leeds more than Saints, but whoever makes the final will be on fire and it will be tough.  I could see HKR tripping us up (though winning it?).

« Reply #86 on: 30 September, 2021, 09:45:04 pm »
W00t!

« Reply #87 on: 01 October, 2021, 09:36:08 pm »
Not the biggest surprise but a little disappointing.

1st Vs 2nd in the Grand Final always seems fair

« Reply #88 on: 01 October, 2021, 11:21:03 pm »
I'd have been more comfortable against [anyone that isn't Saints, especially after putting Leeds to the sword], but then HKR thrashed Wire and we did for them.  I think that Saints must be narrowly favorites to win it, but I think it's 1:1 so far this year between the two sides (discounting their loss when they fielded an under strength team) so it could go either way (and we all know how Sints go to pot if they aren't having it their own way).

« Reply #89 on: 09 October, 2021, 11:14:31 pm »
Close but no cigar.  League leaders and came real close, it's a result of itself I guess.  Come on TO!

« Reply #90 on: 10 October, 2021, 07:46:21 pm »
Come on TO, how can there be more time on the clock???

« Reply #91 on: 10 October, 2021, 07:54:15 pm »
Close but no cigar.  League leaders and came real close, it's a result of itself I guess.  Come on TO!

Didn't see it, I'm afraid.  But partisanship aside, I generally think it's right that the team which scores more tries wins.  Otherwise we end up with the absurdity that is modern union, where players are congratulated for "winning" a penalty.  I just hate that.  kicks for blatant physical fouls is ok but the technical stuff is a pain and encourages cheating. 

« Reply #92 on: 10 October, 2021, 09:14:20 pm »
Much the same though.  I was pleased we ran them close, but 2 tries to 1 says it all.

Also, get in TO!

« Reply #93 on: 10 October, 2021, 10:34:23 pm »
 ;D  Well done!  It's odd to think that only a few seasons ago, Rochdale beat Toulouse to stay in the Championship (I think) and now TO have gained the Super League, while Hornets are likely to go down to division 12 or something!  Same in the football, too!

Edit: and to give us real perspective as to our importance in the scheme of things, just typing Rochdale brings up spellchecker!!!!!!!

« Reply #94 on: 15 October, 2021, 11:29:17 pm »
Theo Fages moves from Sintellens to ... Huddersfield?  Odd one that, he was approached by Catalans a couple years back and would surely have got offers from one of the top 5 clubs, so why Huddersfield?

« Reply #95 on: 15 October, 2021, 11:50:12 pm »
Probably doesn't want to get knocked out regularly.

« Reply #96 on: 23 October, 2021, 04:14:01 pm »
Bullshit VR call for Tony G there, if the ref hasn't called it, it's not a tackle, play-on.  You can't reverse that call on VR and award a penalty. ???

« Reply #97 on: 23 October, 2021, 05:00:00 pm »
Much closer than the scoreline suggests.  Sadly I think it’s because England are worse, not France have improved.

« Reply #98 on: 07 December, 2021, 06:49:14 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/59496050
May, who pleaded guilty to recording intimate images without consent in 2020
Are you such a disgraceful liability that the NRL won’t let you play?  Come play for my club.
May's arrival follows the controversial signing of Israel Folau in 2020, after the former Queensland and Australia international had been released by Australian rugby union for homophobic social media posts.
Yeah, we have a track record of this sort of shit.

« Reply #99 on: 07 December, 2021, 06:57:16 pm »
All you need now is a Saudi take over bid and you'll have the set!