Author Topic: Design that makes you cringe  (Read 565 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Design that makes you cringe
« on: 20 November, 2021, 09:59:13 pm »

We have threads for science, spelling, grammar, maths, and others that make you cringe, but I can't find one for design.

A few weeks back I went to the cinema for the first time since the before times, and discovered that while the cinemas were closed, Pathe had taken the opportunity to remodel their seating. Behold:

Gone are the useful cup holder on each arm rest, gone are the single occupancy seats. Now there's a number of two person seats, and what I think are supposed to be tables. But I use the term loosely. Trying to work out how to make use of them, I started to wonder if the designer had ever actually been to a cinema before. You put your drink on and bag of chocolate on the table, then put your arm on the arm rest below. Now to access either of these, you have to contort your arm from under the table, to access the goods on top, which are close to head height and really the wrong angle to access without elbowing your neighbour in the process. Oh, and some have lights on them, which you have to contort round to access what ever is on the table. And then, if you have to get up, and walk past these tables, the height is perfect for your arse, or the bottom of your coat to knock off what ever is on the table. It's just a really stupid design. I don't get how it got past the drawing board.

Nnnnnngh.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Design that makes you cringe
« Reply #1 on: 20 November, 2021, 11:50:08 pm »
The Troxy, a music venue down the Commercial Road in London’s famous London, has at the front of the circle tables for four peops that position you, the spectator, at right-angles to the stage, such that if you actually want to see the band rather than just listen to them you end up with a sore neck in pretty short order.  Now admittedly it was Godspeed You! Black Emperor, who are not known for their flamboyant stage presence and haven’t changed the film loop they project in the background for about ten years but I was quite interested to see how many of them there actually were on stage this time* and also in the support band**, who were a bit more lively.

** Bardo Pond, seeing as how no-one asked
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime