Author Topic: Straight Outta Hackney 2022  (Read 4246 times)

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
Straight Outta Hackney 2022
« on: 29 May, 2022, 09:47:15 pm »
Hello Folks
Long time no no see!?  Number-6 of said event can be accessed very shortly...

SATURDAY 10-Sep-2022 0800

Would be great to see you all again this year comrades; Castle ACH love throwing this event and it wouldn't be the same without you..!

Jonah Xx

Re: Straight Outta Hackney 2022
« Reply #1 on: 30 May, 2022, 01:04:51 pm »
Hi Jonah!

All the best with this, I know it will be really good.

Hope to see you somewhere!

Tony

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #2 on: 30 May, 2022, 05:03:59 pm »
Thanks Tony
Nice to hear from you!  I've been out of the saddle for quite some time now.  I fell quite ill this January and am not likely to be back in the aforementioned saddle until next January!
Hope to see you soon too!

Jonah

« Reply #3 on: 30 May, 2022, 05:57:39 pm »
Sounds good. My score is one completed and one where I was feeling the distance and it was a bit too easy to catch a train home from Foxton...

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #4 on: 30 May, 2022, 08:04:02 pm »
Straight Outta Hackney can be a deceptive little jaunt at times aye?  If its windy, the return from Cambridge can be a right bugger.  I finished it one time with just minutes in hand.  On the other hand, might have been the plethora of lovely pubs on route?  The Ickleton Lion is a lovely watering hole and the landlord is a cyclist who puts on his own charity bike ride each year.  The Mayor of Ickleton is also a very charming lady who Ivan and I met at our 'Guerrilla Contro'l at the bust stop in Ickleton on the vey first edition.  'Something Lovely' Kerry from the Something Lovely Tea Rooms at the final control is also a stalwart.  Just wish our old club mate Lars, who is no longer with us, could still operate the Cambridge control in the Copper Kettle.  Poor f*&^%$r.

Jonah

« Reply #5 on: 30 May, 2022, 08:17:52 pm »
I remember the bus-stop control. And I accidentally left a bottle at Something Lovely on that event. I was supposed to go back and get it...

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #6 on: 31 May, 2022, 08:29:03 am »
I fell quite ill this January and am not likely to be back in the aforementioned saddle until next January!
Sorry to hear that Jonah and hope things progress okay for next Jan.
I've always fancied the Hackney ride but logistics are challenging - I shall explore train options
Jon

« Reply #7 on: 31 May, 2022, 11:25:24 am »
Yes, wishing you well on that long road to January (or later, or sooner).

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #8 on: 04 June, 2022, 05:21:14 pm »
Thanks very much Jon and Tony!  I'm scheduled for surgery on Monday to remove the stage-4 tumour in my colo-rectal region.  Luckily, the other shit in my liver has gone due to my positive response to Chemo!  Won't affect the 6th edition of SOH though!  We have some quite super additions this year including the Rudy Jones Stir-fry bar to augment the usual ACH Morroccan Stew as well as the infamous Corizo and Rocket sandwich (with roasted peppers and can or 6 of Beavertown ale).

Jx

« Reply #9 on: 04 June, 2022, 11:16:37 pm »
That's some serious shit you're going through at the moment Jonah, good luck with the surgery and your recovery afterwards. I'd love to ride the event again, I'll check the calendar and hopefully see you there.
Shaun

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #10 on: 05 June, 2022, 11:18:19 am »
Don’t think I’m up to a 200 at the moment - mainly through general fecklessness rather than having a proper excuse like serious illness - but 10th Sept is far enough away that I can contemplate getting in shape for it, and I very much enjoyed this ride last time I did it, so I’ll put it in the diary. :thumbsup:

Best wishes for the surgery and ongoing treatment, Jonah.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #11 on: 05 June, 2022, 01:55:50 pm »
I will enter when it is on the calendar. Enjoyed the previous Straight Outta Hackney rides. Hope the op is a suscess and you make a full recovery.

« Reply #12 on: 06 June, 2022, 07:38:44 am »
Good luck today Jonah.

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #13 on: 12 June, 2022, 10:34:14 am »
Thank you for your well wishes Citoyen, JJ and Tony! Will be great to see you again Citoyen (did my first 400 (The Invicta) with you in 2011) and JJ (did my first Pendle with you in 2012) support received back then will be just as welcome again this time around!

I'm very pleased to say that they removed the sucker in my colon in one clean go.  This one will take a while to recover from but I'm slowly feeling better each day.  The staples are being removed next week - can't wait!?

Jonah x

« Reply #14 on: 12 June, 2022, 11:45:10 am »

That's excellent news!!

« Reply #15 on: 12 June, 2022, 12:43:31 pm »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

felstedrider

« Reply #16 on: 12 June, 2022, 01:20:31 pm »
Sorry to hear about this, Jonah and glad that you are on the road to recovery.

I was thinking about this yesterday sat at the garage at Pycombe, when I think we first met in 2011.   

« Reply #17 on: 13 June, 2022, 10:34:13 am »
great news Jonah - GWS  !

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #18 on: 15 June, 2022, 09:39:11 pm »
Cheers team - I'm itching to get back but I really do need to take it (more) easy.  Just before my op I rode a section of The Viking Trail in Kent with the fam.  Loved it!  Whitstable - Herne Bay - Reculver - Birchington on Sea - Margate - Botany Bay et al - Broadstairs - all on a completely safe national cycle route

We did about 50K over 2-days and stopped-off at beaches and pubs en route.  A bit like a Straight Outta Hackney Club DIY, but without the beaches.

There really are some cracking pubs on this ride though.  If you are a rider who can fit in a couple of pints spaced out over a ride then this ones' great!  The pub in Great Dunmow is lovely and very friendly.  We went in once and they'd covered the entire ceiling and surroundings with real hops - a medieval tradition apparently?!  It smelt like Heaven.

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #19 on: 17 June, 2022, 09:44:31 pm »
That's some serious shit you're going through at the moment Jonah, good luck with the surgery and your recovery afterwards. I'd love to ride the event again, I'll check the calendar and hopefully see you there.
Shaun

Cheers Shaun!  Would be great to see you again if you can make it.  Hope your Rourkey is still hangin' on in there.  Mine's got  a cracked BB shell.  I'm not complaining though, after 10-years of Audax punishment its pretty damn good I recon!  Friend and ACH club mate Ben has however, recommended a guy who can possibly repair SS frames.  Jon Chicken of Brighton.

Jonah x

« Reply #20 on: 14 August, 2022, 12:30:27 pm »

« Reply #21 on: 15 August, 2022, 09:33:59 pm »
Looks like AUK have changed the URL's to calendar events - this one works for me for this event:

https://audax.uk/event-details/9536

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #22 on: 15 August, 2022, 11:08:27 pm »
Well spotted, the new urls are part of a change to make everything a little more Facebook (and other social media) friendly when posting links. However there should be a magic bit of code which redirects the old style to the new - it was working on our test account, but has failed to appear on live so we will get the developer to sort it asap.

Previously when you posted a link to an event it would often select one of the "facility" images to display and some text about non members being able to enter, which was less than ideal. Now you should (*) see the logo or the appropriate distance medal image plus the first part of the event desciption, which is a lot nicer and more useful.

* slight problem is that it transpires Facebook won't display an image which is less than 200x200 pixels, and guess what, the current medal images are smaller, as are most of the organisers' logos. We're working on the medals but it might take time for organiser logos to grow.

« Reply #23 on: 16 August, 2022, 01:45:15 pm »
Well spotted, the new urls are part of a change to make everything a little more Facebook (and other social media) friendly when posting links. However there should be a magic bit of code which redirects the old style to the new - it was working on our test account, but has failed to appear on live so we will get the developer to sort it asap.

Previously when you posted a link to an event it would often select one of the "facility" images to display and some text about non members being able to enter, which was less than ideal. Now you should (*) see the logo or the appropriate distance medal image plus the first part of the event desciption, which is a lot nicer and more useful.

* slight problem is that it transpires Facebook won't display an image which is less than 200x200 pixels, and guess what, the current medal images are smaller, as are most of the organisers' logos. We're working on the medals but it might take time for organiser logos to grow.

Thanks for quick fix - seems to be working for old URLs but alas is broken for map view events.

If you pick calendar events then the map tab - pick any event in the map and click through: You will see the same error page.

Thank you kindly for responding quickly!

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #24 on: 16 August, 2022, 03:40:31 pm »
Thanks for quick fix - seems to be working for old URLs but alas is broken for map view events.

If you pick calendar events then the map tab - pick any event in the map and click through: You will see the same error page.

Thank you kindly for responding quickly!
Ah, good point. I am not sure whether that is related to the change - did you use that view recently?  Anyway have requested a fix.