Author Topic: TOB and publicity  (Read 1429 times)

TOB and publicity
« on: 13 September, 2009, 07:39:50 pm »
Is it just me or has the publicity for the TOB been rubbish.  The official website was hardly ever updated before the even. There was nothing in the local papers here (North Yorkshire) before the event passed through. Loads of local people were amazed and perplexed by the road closure at Gally Gap, there was a huge (well relatively) snarl up of combine harvesters, tractors postie vans and the like, they just hadn't a clue it was happening.
Surely with a bit more publicity people would get behind it and there would be moire people along the route etc especially with it been televised at prime time, people love to see there village or local town on the news.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: TOB and publicity
« Reply #1 on: 14 September, 2009, 01:19:59 pm »
Yep. Shit. Although Wiggo is reported in today's Guardian as saying the crowds have been huge, which is good.

Very difficult to follow what's going on live while I'm at work, though - the "live tracking" isn't quite as slick as the TdF's, but hey, at least they've found a decent use for Twitter.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

gonzo

« Reply #2 on: 14 September, 2009, 01:23:26 pm »
They've never been good at publicity of the ToB which is bizarre as publicity is what provides the money to run it.

« Reply #3 on: 14 September, 2009, 03:23:22 pm »
I thought the publicity for the Scunthorpe to York stage wasn't that bad. Plenty of press coverage prior to the race here in York anyway.
Also, I was sat next to the guy who does the twitter updates in the car I was travelling in on stage 1, and he soooo loves his job. I just don't know how to view the twitter stuff though. I'm not geeky enough for twitter yet.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #4 on: 14 September, 2009, 03:38:19 pm »
I thought the publicity for the Scunthorpe to York stage wasn't that bad. Plenty of press coverage prior to the race here in York anyway.
Also, I was sat next to the guy who does the twitter updates in the car I was travelling in on stage 1, and he soooo loves his job. I just don't know how to view the twitter stuff though. I'm not geeky enough for twitter yet.

http://twitter.com/tourofbritain
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5 on: 14 September, 2009, 04:21:23 pm »
The Twitter feed is also on the ToB website...

Go to The Tour of Britain 2009
Click on "Race"
Select the day's stage
Then click on "Live tracking"

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 14 September, 2009, 04:30:05 pm »
The tiwtter feed is very nice, but you need ADVANCE publicity for people to turn up and watch (especially mid-week = time off work), or even to avoid pi55ing off delayed road users.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles