Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2162789 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #15875 on: 08 May, 2021, 12:28:04 am »
Installed a somewhat oversized 400V capacitor in the base of the kettle.

« Reply #15876 on: 08 May, 2021, 02:45:19 pm »
Hung the new plate rack on the wall.  Put the plates on it.  It's still there..
Move Faster and Bake Things

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15877 on: 08 May, 2021, 07:24:36 pm »
Finished the trike wheels, fitted some part-worn tyres, adjusted the mini V-brakes, handlebar height and saddle position. HK seems happy enough.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #15878 on: 08 May, 2021, 09:46:39 pm »
putting a new tyre on a wheelbarrow is a total bastard.  Forget your tubeless tyre fitting problems, do a wheelbarrow and you'll know what pain is

I had to trim excess rubber off the tyre, warm it in the oven, clean the wheel with a wire brush

« Reply #15879 on: 09 May, 2021, 07:54:05 am »
Drilled and tapped the rear pivot tube of my Moulton APB and fitted a grease nipple.
Replaced the pivot bolt with a filed down button head screw of 10.9 hardness, fitted it with Nord Lock washers and torqued to 29Nm.
Pumped it full off MS3 grease and was very pleased with the crinkly pattern that oozed from between the Nord Locks.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15880 on: 09 May, 2021, 07:34:54 pm »
Fitted a front Bluemels mudguard and a GPS mount to HK’s No2 trike and swapped the saddle to something with a shorter nose (keeps the saddle out of the way when hanging out in fast corners). Just needs a long mudflap and dyno headlight fitted to finish it off.

« Reply #15881 on: 09 May, 2021, 11:44:54 pm »
Fitted a new top hat bush in my Mavic freehub. No more of the dreaded 'Mavic roar of death' now.

The only source of the bush seems to be from the USA . Only took a week to arrive though.
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

« Reply #15882 on: 10 May, 2021, 07:09:43 am »
putting a new tyre on a wheelbarrow is a total bastard.  Forget your tubeless tyre fitting problems, do a wheelbarrow and you'll know what pain is

I had to trim excess rubber off the tyre, warm it in the oven, clean the wheel with a wire brush

Shouldn’t be hard on a standard builders barrow with a quality tyre (ie not eBay’s cheapest).

Move Faster and Bake Things

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #15883 on: 10 May, 2021, 08:59:06 pm »
After work I gave the front door frame a 2nd coat of paint (fortunately I timed it very well such that I spotted the window cleaners and headed them off at the pass before they soaked the whole area by cleaning the transom window). Gave the vestibule skirting which got damp a 3rd coat of paint. The cat warming nook under the stove got a fresh coat of paint.
Fettled home knitted yoghurt and 2 loaves of bread.
Made dinner.
Then gave the inner vestibule door a coat of PU varnish being as it was all grubby and scratched from the cats using it as a doorbell.
The end is in sight, I just need to give the vestibule a couple of coats of emulsion.
And stop finding things that need doing outside (they still need doing but Pingu thinks I shouldn't bother).

Annoying thing is, now it's nice weather enough to paint I just want to be out in it getting some happy hormones, not doing poxy DIY...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15884 on: 11 May, 2021, 02:09:54 pm »
Installed a somewhat oversized 400V capacitor in the base of the kettle.

Rookie mistake.  The higher power from running on DC rather than half-wave rectified AC cooked the power resistor limiting current to the LEDs.  That'll teach me to do the maths next time.   :facepalm:

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #15885 on: 11 May, 2021, 09:06:37 pm »
Threw some paint in the direction of the wash house door - it's a state and rotten in places, but at least it doesn't look such a state from a distance now, which will do for my porpoises.
Gave the vestibule door a 2nd coat of varnish.
Gave the vestibule walls & ceiling a first coat of emulsion. It will be nice if it only needs 2 coats, but I'm unconvinced... still, hopefully I will be finished all this DIY shit by the end of the week.

« Reply #15886 on: 11 May, 2021, 09:10:55 pm »
Am I the only one here thinking that I could do with Mrs Pingu to come and visit to sort out my house too ?   :)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #15887 on: 11 May, 2021, 09:58:52 pm »
Nope  ;)

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #15888 on: 11 May, 2021, 10:38:36 pm »
I'm nearly broken, I'm not doing home visits as well. :P
I'd love to say that when we've got a place with a bit more room to move furniture around I'll be GAMI in future. But that assumes there's any money left when we get there...

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #15889 on: 12 May, 2021, 08:40:26 pm »
Guess what I've been doing? Yes, frikkin emulsioning the vestibule again.
Am I finished? No, it needs yet another coat.

>:( >:( Tokens, I haz them. Bored of this now.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #15890 on: 13 May, 2021, 10:04:39 pm »
Not a lot, had the night off painting. Think I needed it.
Helped Pingu finish scraping all the moss off the paths in our garden, being as the sun had shown its face. Then I went to Screwfix to buy yet moar paint. Waiting for BigRiverco to deliver a new roller sleeve tomorrow cos I reckon my one is crap.
The solicitor/estate agent and all their minions are coming next week. 🙈🤐

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15891 on: 14 May, 2021, 04:13:41 pm »
Swapped out the tyres and de-lubed the rims on my fixed. Ordered replacement rear bearings and a rear mudflap for it. Also ordered a front mudflap for HK’s new toy.

Replaced the wornout front brake pads on HK’s Kinesis as they started making noises during this evening’s ride. Flint-mined the front tyre.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #15892 on: 14 May, 2021, 06:01:20 pm »
Took delivery of my merino sheepskin roller sleeve and yes, you guessed it, gave the vestibule yet another coat of paint. I probably should have bought one of them years ago.
Anyway it's all finished now. No more painting inside to do.
Just a little bit outside to do next week once the man's been to patch up a bit of blown render.

« Reply #15893 on: 15 May, 2021, 05:01:45 pm »
Taking inspiration from our glorious leader, we're redecorating our bedroom while Miss Dan the Elder is still at university, so we can sleep in her room. So far, that's empty it (mostly) of stuff. Two people's clothes are now scattered around the house creating levels of untidiness that even I notice. I also feel nervous about taking wardrobes apart later, but we're avoiding the issue for now. Then the usual cleaning and taping up, and a first coat of paint on the ceiling.

« Reply #15894 on: 15 May, 2021, 05:24:09 pm »
Stuff on the APB: new front tyre fitted, rear brake fitted, cut spare cables. Next is working out the cable runs for the motor and where the battery is going.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15895 on: 15 May, 2021, 05:31:17 pm »
Fitted a XLC 70 lux auto dynolight to HK’s No.2 trike and maximised the front mudguard clearance. Should be able to fit 700x32C tyres all round now

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #15896 on: 15 May, 2021, 06:32:10 pm »
Reproofed a Carradice Nelson and then did my Barbour jacket too.  Mmmm...waxy.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #15897 on: 15 May, 2021, 09:28:36 pm »
I did that in 1982 and took off the top of my left middle finger. You are right about the pain. :)

« Reply #15898 on: 16 May, 2021, 03:09:45 pm »
Many eons ago the crappy plastic pegs on my Ikea Pax wardrobe buckled under the weight of the last working CRT TV on earth and took out the two shelves below Ronan Point/World Trade Centre style.

This week I found a steel beam from a fly-tipped Ikea bed and I used it to make some sturdy L-brackets, far sturdier than the Swedish chipboard they're now screwed to.

« Reply #15899 on: 16 May, 2021, 09:02:07 pm »
Twice round the door, frame and skirting boards in our bedroom with a nice mustard paint.