Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 926335 times)

Chris S

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #9400 on: 17 April, 2021, 11:23:20 pm »
Philadelphia

Godammit. Pass the kleenex.

As I obsverved elsewhere on social media this evening, this film was instrumental in the realignment of my previously homophobic and racist views of the world.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9401 on: 17 April, 2021, 11:57:17 pm »
Bohemian Rhapsody

Kleenex here too, please.

I felt that this was probably very honest, and portrayed personal troubles that nowadays would only exist privately, not culturally.
It is simpler than it looks.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9402 on: 19 April, 2021, 11:11:35 am »
1917.  Reasonably engaging but the river bit was rather far-fetched.  Not nasty enough, really; despite the corpses and rats, it's fairly sanitised.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #9403 on: 19 April, 2021, 12:12:46 pm »
Crimson Peak

Enjoyable tosh.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #9404 on: 19 April, 2021, 09:26:54 pm »
1917.  Reasonably engaging but the river bit was rather far-fetched.  Not nasty enough, really; despite the corpses and rats, it's fairly sanitised.

I did find one bit of that cut deep
(click to show/hide)
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #9405 on: 19 April, 2021, 09:37:15 pm »
Gangster No.1  Malcolm McDowell doing hammy psycho & Paul Bettany doing a younger & nastier version.   Some unorthodox use of hammer & chisel.   
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Steph

« Reply #9406 on: 02 May, 2021, 05:31:24 pm »
A complete load of hokum called 'Hunter Killer', preceded by 'Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle'

I actually enjoyed the Jumanji, because it was silly, and Dwayne Johnson actually managed to approach a form of acting. It links to the other film, because the character played by Johnson had a vis=do-game strength of being able to 'smoulder'.

Hunter Killer had smouldering from all sides, as it was that sort of testosterone heavy bollocks. An opening scene. set in 'Scotland', was hilarious.
1. If you are stalking deer, having your mobile turned on is a silly thing to do.
2. Getting reception in that part of Scotland is not going to happen.
3. Hunting with a bow is illegal in the UK.
4. I wasn't aware that Scotland had a breeding population of wapiti (the erroneously-named American 'elk')

I ended up watching it purely for the outright silliness, just like the Jumanji film. I suspect one of the films wasn't actually meant to be silly, though

Steph

« Reply #9407 on: 03 May, 2021, 07:01:28 pm »
Last night, in a state of boredom, I braved the used litter tray that is Channel 5's catch-up film selection, and found a turkey so bad it would have given Mr B Matthews nightmares. It was so bad it couldn't even manage to be funny. It was just shite.

Warbirds. Oh god.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1047544/

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #9408 on: 03 May, 2021, 10:42:58 pm »
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Not seen it before, amazingly. Quite fun at the beginning thinking, ‘that looks familiar’. It was, as the location was The Arches National Park.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9409 on: 04 May, 2021, 10:03:33 am »

Not seen it before, amazingly. Quite fun at the beginning thinking, ‘that looks familiar’. It was, as the location was The Arches National Park.

We started watching that and bailed after 15 minutes.  We last watched it with the kids, when it came out. Much more fun back then.

NF's crop of B films is a bit bleh just now. Stowaway was OK, albeit suffering from an excess of artistic licence, but otherwise they're bombarding us with a slough of 1960s films de boulevard (films that didn't make much of an effort since people usually watched them to pass an hour of two in the afternoon with a good lunch inside them) with Alain Delon and Jacques Tati.

Arches National Park was where they filmed the intro to A Million Ways to Die in the West: same landmarks, but everything in that film was a tilt at clichés. Great fun.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #9410 on: 04 May, 2021, 10:09:13 am »
Part of The Fugitive on ITV t'other evening.  Hadn't seen it since the 90s.  Cracking fillum.
"Your fugitive's name is Dr Richard Kimble!"

Steph

« Reply #9411 on: 04 May, 2021, 10:15:52 am »
Part of The Fugitive on ITV t'other evening.  Hadn't seen it since the 90s.  Cracking fillum.
"Your fugitive's name is Dr Richard Kimble!"

"I'm innocent!"

"I don't care!"

ian

« Reply #9412 on: 05 May, 2021, 09:26:21 pm »
A trio of Norwegian disaster movies (The Tunnel, The Wave, and Quake). I know, subtitles might make me into one of the smart kids. OK, unlikely.

Beards, sensible clothing, and a Whole Lotta Ingrid. Dangerous place Norway. A colleague of mine got bitten by a bug in Oslo and swelled up like the Hindenburg. I had to take her to a hospital where a number of bearded doctors and ones likely called Ingrid pronounced 'well, that is rather unusual.' Don't knowingly undertreat a German, my scandic chums, she's like a poorly medicated Godzilla.

One thing that I did learn from the subtitles though was the Norwegian word for 'shit' is 'fuck.' Either or the subtitlers were scared to chomp down on a proper swear.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #9413 on: 06 May, 2021, 12:55:09 am »
Most Nog swearing seems to revolve around hell and the devil.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #9414 on: 08 May, 2021, 12:06:57 am »
Prompted by a random thing on Twitter I've just watched "La Cabina" again.    Reminds be of the time I got stuck in a coffin sized lift at Smethwick Galton Bridge station, balancing a fully loaded tourer on it's rear wheel.

https://the-artifice.com/la-cabina/
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #9415 on: 08 May, 2021, 12:19:11 pm »
Doppelgänger (now more commonly known as Journey to the Far Side of the Sun)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doppelg%C3%A4nger_(1969_film)

Gerry and Sylvia Anderson's first live-action production, it was a flop at the box office, but apparently has something of a cult following today.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9416 on: 08 May, 2021, 03:14:37 pm »
Prompted by a random thing on Twitter I've just watched "La Cabina" again.    Reminds be of the time I got stuck in a coffin sized lift at Smethwick Galton Bridge station, balancing a fully loaded tourer on it's rear wheel.

https://the-artifice.com/la-cabina/

Made 3 years before Franco died.  I wonder if it's a veiled analogy to people "disappearing".

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #9417 on: 09 May, 2021, 03:33:59 pm »
MIB International. Total trash, but light enough for a Saturday night of disengagement. It lacks the novelty of the first film, but not having Will Smith in it might be considered as an improvement.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #9418 on: 16 May, 2021, 11:16:42 am »
Crip Camp

A lot of footage and raw feelings. Rollercoaster film.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #9419 on: 16 May, 2021, 11:41:04 am »
The Upside

With Bryan Cranston. Quite amusing film, worth watching. Would probably need to watch again to get any meaning in it...

« Reply #9420 on: 16 May, 2021, 11:46:32 am »

Also the Treasury, in Petra, Jordan, where I woz about a decade after filming

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9421 on: 16 May, 2021, 01:05:54 pm »
Went into Netflux last night hoping to see Birdman again, but alas it has flown. :(

Brilliant film - think I'll get the DVD.

« Reply #9422 on: 16 May, 2021, 01:38:03 pm »
Birdman is available on Amazon Prime if you have access.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9423 on: 16 May, 2021, 02:06:17 pm »
Ta but nah, haven't got Prime.  Mind you, Netflux's selection is so crap these days we just switch...

« Reply #9424 on: 17 May, 2021, 04:43:15 pm »
Brothers in Arms - Turkish Special Forces battle against I cannot remember who.
Battle scenes were good but the jumping back and forward in time was overdone.
Not as good as 'Mosul' which is my yardstick for foreign warry films with subtitles.
Never knowingly under caffeinated