Author Topic: Mad Jack's (JSM) (21st) 125 km Saturday 22nd February 2020 @ 09.00  (Read 24943 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: Mad Jack's (JSM) 125 km 15th February
« Reply #25 on: 10 February, 2014, 05:30:41 pm »
I've entered this.  Presumably if we stay on top of the hills, we can avoid any flooding.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #26 on: 10 February, 2014, 05:46:08 pm »
5 Cards left then closed tonight....

Rob, thanks, Mick it is then. Photos been stashed for years.. PM ur oldies and I'll see if we can put them up..

Jeff, to be honest Tim does 100's of photos and I did ask EL for some of the names  ;D

Arry-R yes it's that Dave... Come on then, are you the chap who had his steering wheel nicked from ur XR2 and had to drive home with a pair of Mole grips clamped on the steering shaft from your tool box, try explaining that to the Officer!!!! That's Cardiff for you...   ;D

Tim Hall- thanks your in!! It's the wash off from the fields that's going to be interesting, the waters draining off..
Mad Jacks JSM/  Hills and Mills to be continued in 2021

rob

« Reply #27 on: 10 February, 2014, 09:21:15 pm »
Robert Bullyment you look young there!!  ;D ;D One wonders is it David (Swampy) Stevens I see in Woolley hat??

Still in my 20s.....

« Reply #28 on: 12 February, 2014, 03:14:10 pm »
Mad Jack - is there anywhere to stash a small rucksack on Sat morning? I'm having a weekend in Sussex. If not, no problem, I'll take it with me. Not as if the route is hilly or anything...  ;)

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #29 on: 12 February, 2014, 03:38:39 pm »
Robert Bullyment you look young there!!  ;D ;D One wonders is it David (Swampy) Stevens I see in Woolley hat??

Still in my 20s.....

I recall that even at such a tender age you were officially a veteran.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #30 on: 12 February, 2014, 05:42:26 pm »
Mad Jack - is there anywhere to stash a small rucksack on Sat morning? I'm having a weekend in Sussex. If not, no problem, I'll take it with me. Not as if the route is hilly or anything...  ;)

Hello Joss,

No problem, bung it in the vehicle and remind me to fetch it out before the finish.  :-*

Just bought loads of bananas X40 (Morrisons 68p a Kilo, El...), was getting funny looks and people pointing ! Bloke at the till reckoned they were for pigs!!  :o

Lurcio

• Lurcio
« Reply #31 on: 15 February, 2014, 01:02:13 pm »
Sun bathing in the cafe withTarnia and the girls. Living the dream! ?? :facepalm:
Put my medals on the table....you must be jokimg!

« Reply #32 on: 15 February, 2014, 08:36:20 pm »
The show must go on! Well done top marks to those that made the effort. Results submitted to AUK.
A massive thank you to my team, AJB @ the start and Burwash. Mum for being on standby and helping with admin in the vehicle at the start (rode EL's 200 way back in 93 on tandem with Dad). Lurcio and his Daughter Rachel- welcome to the team in Battle control X3. Asherman at the finish also welcome to the team. Thank you to Tarnia and her team in Skarlett's Cafe in Battle fantastic.
Stats 85 entered plus 1 helper = 86,  37 started, 6 dnf, 4 did not complete the route missing the Burwash control. 27 validated.

Weather, yes plenty of it, we had four seasons in one day, but no snow! Lovely in Battle and the sun did beam through the window, we even had to open the door to cool off  ;D
Thank you to all my regulars that completed the route, good luck for the racing season to all the local clubmen from Eastbourne Rovers and the Lewes Wanderers plus all the other clubs inc YACF.  :thumbsup:
Well done to the Tandem, with AAA champ stoking, inc broken bits that stayed together, one tough cookie. Massive congrats to young Oliver who rode it all on 56" fixed, well done.
Martin did well and was on a storming 160 km and on route to T-wells to complete his ECE 200km and AAA points to boot. A few mechanical problems with punctures and worn brake blocks.
Thanks again for using the front entrance at the finish leisure center.
Note to self, don't offer to move anyone the night before organising an event!
I doff my cap to the class of 2014 Mad Jack JSM riders  :thumbsup:

« Reply #33 on: 15 February, 2014, 09:12:26 pm »

AAA champ

« Reply #34 on: 15 February, 2014, 09:15:57 pm »

Summer in Sussex today  :thumbsup:

« Reply #35 on: 15 February, 2014, 09:19:18 pm »

Hand made and great mileage  :D

« Reply #36 on: 15 February, 2014, 09:21:21 pm »

:thumbsup:  :-*

« Reply #37 on: 15 February, 2014, 09:29:16 pm »

L to R >>> Kim (ERCC) and Richard (LWCC) fast local road men, well done chaps  :thumbsup:   

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #38 on: 15 February, 2014, 10:40:20 pm »
An excellent, and full value, day for me.  Good work on the weather by the org. meant I only wore my waterproof for about 20 minutes, just after getting shot blasted by hail as I walked up Battle High Street.

Top work by Tanya and her team at Scarlett's too. And fantastic ink too.

Slightly puzzled by the road sign at somewhere around 118km warning of "Uneven Road Surface". Like the rest wasn't or something.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #39 on: 16 February, 2014, 06:53:07 am »

L to R >>> Rachel, Tim Hall YACF  :thumbsup:, riders and Clint. 

Martin

« Reply #40 on: 16 February, 2014, 05:02:45 pm »
can you get AAA for off-road?  ???

another classic edition of the ride; so nice to be riding it rather than manning a control incapacitated like 4 years ago. Having to ECE it not having a car was not such a good move, as wasn't deciding to ride up to Cross in Hand after with completely destroyed legs.

Mercifully dry (in the sky at least), rode with Dougal for a bit but mostly solo; amazingly depleted field not sure what but everyone off the wind maybe? (not that it was too much a problem, the gert hills kept most of it away)

Thanks MJ and your helpers Lurcio and his daughter  :thumbsup:

« Reply #41 on: 16 February, 2014, 09:36:19 pm »
Thanks all involved with this. I don't think I've ever had to pedal downhill in order to keep moving otherwise the wind was going to blow me back up in reverse. Good weather (if a little windy) and I've wiped the weird 5 minute torrential rain / hail downpour from my memory. Just the one puncture after Fairlight and much swearing while putting tyre back on.

Good day out.

« Reply #42 on: 17 February, 2014, 06:58:14 pm »
As others have said a gruelling yet very enjoyable day. I was the fool on a fixed gear so was very happy to finish! I've endured a couple of hard rides with the sole purpose of being able to do this ride, so it was all worth it. Ended up riding most of it solo due to my silly bike, with a couple of brief interludes of company, as well as a nice roll into Hailsham with a Southdown rider called Colin.

It was hailing in Burwash over breakfast and looked very gloomy which may have put a fair few off. Thankfully the lanes were mostly sheltered, and it turned out to be a glorious day. The lanes may be filled with holes and gravel but there certainly were some splendid views. I can't wait to get back in summer. (And hopefully a couple of times before then!) Myself and a couple of others got well and truly pelted by hail for a couple of minutes just outside Brede, it was quite painful...

Big thanks to the organisers, stampers, and all helpers. Enthusiasm was much appreciated!

In case anyone's forgotten:

« Reply #43 on: 17 February, 2014, 09:40:02 pm »
Yes, well, that was a good day out, if a little, tiny bit harder than I'd bargained for ...

I could look at it as a string of failures - failed to meet Martin beforehand to ride over together, failed to get to the start in time to get my brevet card, failed to make up enough time to actually finish before MJ had closed down for the night, failed to get home in any sort of shape for my plans for the Sunday, and therefore failed to get up to Bedford or bumble over to Burford.

But I won't. Damn good ride, surprisingly good weather (OK, so I got hailed on twice, but never ended up too, too wet, and prefer to think of the gales as exhilarating), good views even at the price of execrable roads, and even though I was knackered at the end I was pretty pleased to have racked up 300 or so km.

I am, though, rubbish at both the English and Dutch variety of hill.

« Reply #44 on: 19 January, 2015, 08:38:31 pm »
As others have said a gruelling yet very enjoyable day. I was the fool on a fixed gear so was very happy to finish! I've endured a couple of hard rides with the sole purpose of being able to do this ride, so it was all worth it. Ended up riding most of it solo due to my silly bike, with a couple of brief interludes of company, as well as a nice roll into Hailsham with a Southdown rider called Colin.

It was hailing in Burwash over breakfast and looked very gloomy which may have put a fair few off. Thankfully the lanes were mostly sheltered, and it turned out to be a glorious day. The lanes may be filled with holes and gravel but there certainly were some splendid views. I can't wait to get back in summer. (And hopefully a couple of times before then!) Myself and a couple of others got well and truly pelted by hail for a couple of minutes just outside Brede, it was quite painful...

Big thanks to the organisers, stampers, and all helpers. Enthusiasm was much appreciated!

In case anyone's forgotten:

Great photos from last year, why not come on down again for this year folks, Saturday 21st February 2015 @ 09.00  :thumbsup:

Re: Mad Jack's (JSM) 125 km Saturday 21st February 09.00
« Reply #45 on: 26 January, 2015, 10:14:32 pm »
East Sussex calling.... 

All AAA riders please note, this event has sold half of it's 85 entries. Bagged Hills & Mills, then this is the next calendar event, come and
join the fun with your fellow like minded riders. Now in it's 16th year and still a force to be reckoned with, past riders have moved on to greater achievements- Jo became AUK champion after riding this as her 1st event a few years back. TG rode this and camped on the way down, now he's the man of the moment  :thumbsup:
Current AAA masters also in attendance  ;D

« Reply #46 on: 27 January, 2015, 12:33:35 pm »
I'm in.

To ECE or not to ECE?  That is the question.

« Reply #47 on: 27 January, 2015, 01:22:31 pm »
I'm in.

To ECE or not to ECE?  That is the question.

For the record, Alan P and the Prof rode down and possibly back to Croydon a few years back before ECEing existed, so you'll be the 1st  ;D 

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #48 on: 29 January, 2015, 08:08:59 am »
East Sussex calling.... 
Current AAA masters also in attendance  ;D

Wow!! Royalty  :thumbsup:

Martin

« Reply #49 on: 29 January, 2015, 10:27:27 am »
Current AAA master also in attendance  ;D