Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 861354 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #4750 on: 12 October, 2020, 10:53:00 pm »
St Moritz, the ski resort in Switzerland. Turns out St Moritz was a Roman soldier from the border of Sudan/Egypt who got martyred while refusing to persecute Christians in the area. Whitest part of Europe, named after a black guy.
It was one of the least welcoming looking places I visited in Switzerland, I had 30 minutes between trains, I think I did 't leave the ststion car park.

My discovery of the day
Someone who's spent twice the amount of their life as me working in healthcare IT had never learnt that medics should never be given the need to click more than once or ever touch a scroll bar lest they have a hissy fit.
Said colleague expressed surprise at a function of the system we're writing requiring 3 mouse clicks should be recorded as a "show stopper" UAT issue...

To be fair, he was previously in charge of the intranet sites development, only adminy types have time to use that.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4751 on: 12 October, 2020, 11:18:21 pm »
Someone who's spent twice the amount of their life as me working in healthcare IT had never learnt that medics should never be given the need to click more than once or ever touch a scroll bar lest they have a hissy fit.
Said colleague expressed surprise at a function of the system we're writing requiring 3 mouse clicks should be recorded as a "show stopper" UAT issue...

A lesson that should apply well beyond healthcare.

If I had my way, application developers would have their mice confiscated for one day a week on general principle.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4752 on: 13 October, 2020, 08:45:03 am »

A lesson that should apply well beyond healthcare.

If I had my way, application developers would have their mice confiscated for one day a week on general principle.

I suppose medics etc. could even enjoy tabbing between buttons & memorizing CTRL codes.  We could make the machines play early 80s rock at the same time.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4753 on: 13 October, 2020, 09:04:42 am »
That one of the more famous examples of apophenia, Pink Floyd's "Echoes" as a soundtrack to the "Jupiter and Beyond The Infinite" act from "2001 - A Space Odyssey" is pleasant enough but there's no real synchronicity.  Same length* and the mood of the song vaguely matches some scenes, but no "wow" moments.

Try it: https://youtu.be/rn7MmS3vazU

*not on a R2 DVD, which is always 4% too fast
There's a similar rumour linking The Floyd's Dark side of the Moon with the film of The Wizard of Oz.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4754 on: 13 October, 2020, 10:28:09 am »
St Moritz, the ski resort in Switzerland. Turns out St Moritz was a Roman soldier from the border of Sudan/Egypt who got martyred while refusing to persecute Christians in the area. Whitest part of Europe, named after a black guy.
Well, St George was from (what is now) Turkey, which is ironic given that the mouth-breathers hanging his flag from their upstairs windows probably voted Brexit in case Muslamic Turkey joined the EU.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4755 on: 13 October, 2020, 10:33:42 am »
That one of the more famous examples of apophenia, Pink Floyd's "Echoes" as a soundtrack to the "Jupiter and Beyond The Infinite" act from "2001 - A Space Odyssey" is pleasant enough but there's no real synchronicity.  Same length* and the mood of the song vaguely matches some scenes, but no "wow" moments.

Try it: https://youtu.be/rn7MmS3vazU

*not on a R2 DVD, which is always 4% too fast
There's a similar rumour linking The Floyd's Dark side of the Moon with the film of The Wizard of Oz.

And the gap in the Watergate tapes with “Alice's Restaurant”.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4756 on: 15 October, 2020, 06:26:57 pm »
Today I learnt that some people refer to the poles of a magnet as "positive" and "negative". How long has this been going on? What's wrong with North and South?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4757 on: 15 October, 2020, 07:02:41 pm »
Today I learnt that some people refer to the poles of a magnet as "positive" and "negative". How long has this been going on? What's wrong with North and South?

That way lies madness.

« Reply #4758 on: 15 October, 2020, 07:09:31 pm »

That way lies madness.
The Poles weren't involved.
They were too busy fighting the Germans.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #4759 on: 15 October, 2020, 10:48:36 pm »
That’s a bit of a loded question.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4760 on: 20 October, 2020, 01:19:35 pm »
Today I learned what a Forstner bit is.

I'm resizing a kitchen cupboard door - the new fitted oven is larger than the old one, so the shelf above it had to be shifted upwards and a few cm trimmed off the door. This also entails moving the position of the hinge, which means drilling a 35mm flat-bottomed hole to accommodate it. I'm aware of auger bits for drilling wide holes, and self-feed bits for very wide holes, but I've not come across Forstner bits before - they are perfect for this job.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #4761 on: 20 October, 2020, 01:34:27 pm »
Today I learned what a Forstner bit is.

I'm resizing a kitchen cupboard door - the new fitted oven is larger than the old one, so the shelf above it had to be shifted upwards and a few cm trimmed off the door. This also entails moving the position of the hinge, which means drilling a 35mm flat-bottomed hole to accommodate it. I'm aware of auger bits for drilling wide holes, and self-feed bits for very wide holes, but I've not come across Forstner bits before - they are perfect for this job.

Indeed - I have about ten in differing sizes - and if you're talking about Blum hinges* then there's a nifty jig you can get to ensure holes are in the right place for the hinges to work.

The Forstners really come into their own if you use them in a drill press rather than a portable drill.

* Using the word Blum (which is a brand) for the style of hinge

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #4762 on: 20 October, 2020, 02:13:45 pm »
What he ^^ said.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4763 on: 20 October, 2020, 02:45:52 pm »
Fisch wave-cutter Forstners are particularly good.  At least, that's what Fisch say.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

« Reply #4764 on: 20 October, 2020, 02:51:43 pm »
if you're talking about Blum hinges

Indeed I am (and that's another bit of terminology I have learned today, thanks!).

Getting the positioning correct was the part of the job that worried me most, but I was careful with my measuring - besides which, the bracket the hinge attaches to allows a small amount of vertical leeway to spare any blushes.

The Forstners really come into their own if you use them in a drill press rather than a portable drill.

This is precisely the thought that crossed my mind as soon as I started drilling...

I bought a cheap set of 5 bits from Screwfix for £7.99. They were fine for the job but annoyingly they have a protruding central guide point, which seems to me to rather defeat the object - I had to be very careful not to drill too deep so the point came through the other side. I note that more expensive models have no guide point and are fitted with a depth gauge. Probably not something I'm going to use often enough to make it worth investing in more expensive parts though.

Anyway, job done, door refitted - and I must say I'm pleased with the job. It even closes properly after making some small adjustments to the hinges. If you're looking very carefully, you can just about tell the cut edge of the door isn't perfectly straight. I'll take that.  ;D

robgul

« Reply #4765 on: 20 October, 2020, 03:13:00 pm »
if you're talking about Blum hinges

Indeed I am (and that's another bit of terminology I have learned today, thanks!).

Getting the positioning correct was the part of the job that worried me most, but I was careful with my measuring - besides which, the bracket the hinge attaches to allows a small amount of vertical leeway to spare any blushes.

This is precisely the thought that crossed my mind as soon as I started drilling...

I bought a cheap set of 5 bits from Screwfix for £7.99. They were fine for the job but annoyingly they have a protruding central guide point, which seems to me to rather defeat the object - I had to be very careful not to drill too deep so the point came through the other side. I note that more expensive models have no guide point and are fitted with a depth gauge. Probably not something I'm going to use often enough to make it worth investing in more expensive parts though.

Anyway, job done, door refitted - and I must say I'm pleased with the job. It even closes properly after making some small adjustments to the hinges. If you're looking very carefully, you can just about tell the cut edge of the door isn't perfectly straight. I'll take that.  ;D

Have a look at this for stuff on drill bits -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey7crpai5ng    (Forstner is at around 5:30 - but it's all interesting)
- almost all Forstners have a point as that locates the centre of the hole - it's the length of the point below the cutting edge (straight or wavy) that's the key issue for drilling "blind" holes.

citoyen

« Reply #4766 on: 20 October, 2020, 03:22:20 pm »
- almost all Forstners have a point as that locates the centre of the hole - it's the length of the point below the cutting edge (straight or wavy) that's the key issue for drilling "blind" holes.

Yes - the point on the screwfix ones protrudes more than is ideal for this job.

Some others I was looking at earlier had no point. They looked much better quality, but a) they were expensive, and b) I would have had to wait a few days for delivery and I wanted to get the job done today.

Have a look at this for stuff on drill bits -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey7crpai5ng

A video about drill bits, eh? That sounds very... boring. ;)

robgul

« Reply #4767 on: 20 October, 2020, 05:52:15 pm »

Some others I was looking at earlier had no point. They looked much better quality, but a) they were expensive, and b) I would have had to wait a few days for delivery and I wanted to get the job done today.

Have a look at this for stuff on drill bits -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey7crpai5ng

... ah but it augers well . . .   IGMC

Seriously - James a.k.a. Stumpy Nubs in the video does have some very good info on tools and woodwork techniques

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #4768 on: 20 October, 2020, 07:32:54 pm »
The song, "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" or "Mbube", to give it its original title, was written by a South African in the 1920s.  It's about Shaka the Lion, Warrior King of the Zulus, who fought the armies of the european colonizers.  He, like King Arthur, is supposed not to be dead but only sleeping and will one day awaken and return to lead his people.

Have a listen - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrrQT4WkbNE
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #4769 on: 20 October, 2020, 09:15:19 pm »
Was not the original author unacknowledged and therefore denied royalities?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4770 on: 21 October, 2020, 11:15:36 am »
Continuing the musical theme I learned that former 13th Floor Elevators front man and Austin's answer to Mad Jack McMad Roky Erickson died in May 2019 and I somehow missed it :'(

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4771 on: 21 October, 2020, 02:13:26 pm »

Was that you that the nice Mr Keavney just name checked? Middle Aged Shoutout, Forstner bit fun.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

citoyen

« Reply #4772 on: 21 October, 2020, 02:15:59 pm »
Was that you that the nice Mr Keavney just name checked? Middle Aged Shoutout, Forstner bit fun.

Might have been.  ;)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #4773 on: 24 October, 2020, 09:05:46 am »
That the glass in my oven door isn't tinted. It was just dirty. Student dirty. Mr Muscle could only do so much. I had to take a stanley knife blade to it.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #4774 on: 24 October, 2020, 12:52:58 pm »
I've had a letter from 23andme telling me that unlike 83% of their customers I have Neanderthal DNA.
Not sure how I feel about that.
Never knowingly under caffeinated