Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 450108 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #4400 on: 25 May, 2024, 01:51:29 pm »
I got really excited , when l read " The firebrick web interface " . But its not about refactory bricklaying .

Not unless you get something really wrong in the XML    :D
When HCF gets real.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4401 on: 25 May, 2024, 07:34:19 pm »
Sleep 180 && nft flush ruleset

Running in a second term. So that worse case you wait 3 minutes and try again... Learnt this the hardway when it was 2 hours in a train to go plug the console in...

The FireBrick web interface provides a nice friendly button that does the equivalent of that.  The true divvery was clicking 'Save' rather than 'Test'.

Sounds like the issue was using a webinterface...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4402 on: 25 May, 2024, 08:46:15 pm »
Sleep 180 && nft flush ruleset

Running in a second term. So that worse case you wait 3 minutes and try again... Learnt this the hardway when it was 2 hours in a train to go plug the console in...

The FireBrick web interface provides a nice friendly button that does the equivalent of that.  The true divvery was clicking 'Save' rather than 'Test'.

Sounds like the issue was using a webinterface...

*shrugs*  I'm learning a new thing, it's a quicker way to discover what the options are, even if I do end up editing the XML directly.  And credit where it's due, it's a remarkably non-terrible example of the species.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4403 on: 25 May, 2024, 10:28:37 pm »

I left something in the bottom of one of the food bags on my bike. I don't know what it once was. Or how long it's been there. But it's turned liquid, and it stinks.

J
--

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #4404 on: 25 May, 2024, 10:37:58 pm »
Apropos of recent posts in Ctrl-Alt-Del, I managed to do the internet equivalent of failing to pass the cable through the connector shell before terminating the wires, or emptying the contents of the u-bend into the sink you just removed it from:  I refer of course to the traditional fuckup of firewalling yourself out of the firewall's admin interface, necessitating a factory reset and restore from backup.

The other one is to be remoted into a server, and decide to drop a network interface and then bring it back up.
You get half-way there...

Double points if the server is many miles away.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4405 on: Yesterday at 12:47:56 am »
Apropos of recent posts in Ctrl-Alt-Del, I managed to do the internet equivalent of failing to pass the cable through the connector shell before terminating the wires, or emptying the contents of the u-bend into the sink you just removed it from:  I refer of course to the traditional fuckup of firewalling yourself out of the firewall's admin interface, necessitating a factory reset and restore from backup.

The other one is to be remoted into a server, and decide to drop a network interface and then bring it back up.
You get half-way there...

Double points if the server is many miles away.

Triple points if the machine you intended to do it on is in the same room.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4406 on: Yesterday at 01:05:46 am »

Triple points if the machine you intended to do it on is in the same room.

How many point for:

Me: "ok I'm gonna take the machine down so we can do the upgrade. Down in 3 2 1... It's down"
Colleague: "you sure? I'm still logged in and it pings"
Me: "yeah, it says so here, system is going down now, will halt"
Colleague: "are you sure it's the right machine?"

<Adult language in progress>

Only ever done it once... Customer was very understanding.

J
--

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4407 on: Yesterday at 08:18:34 am »

I left something in the bottom of one of the food bags on my bike. I don't know what it once was. Or how long it's been there. But it's turned liquid, and it stinks.

J

Ah.  I once managed to make possibly delicious banana energy caramel in my rack bag when the key sticking out of a bike lock penetrated both a banana and a freezer bag of drink powder and mixed the lot with a box of tube patches, a baseball cap, a CO2 pump and a roll of black tape.

I only discovered it when I remembered the banana, by which time the bag had spent a week in the bottom of the wardrobe and the lot had solidified.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4408 on: Yesterday at 09:09:56 am »
I found something similar in the suitcase I use for work, I'd thrown an apple in there just in case and about three weeks later had another trip. The apple, rather than rotting, luckily, had dehydrated and was now a slightly shrunken, rubbery facsimile of itself
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4409 on: Yesterday at 09:50:39 am »
Last Tuesday, I managed to drop my glasses somewhere between getting off the train and reaching the swimming pool for my morning pre-work swim. Luckily, I have a spare emergency pair that I keep in the office (old prescription but better than nothing), and a second pair at home.

On Friday, I had an errand to run in Canterbury so cycled over there along the Crab & Winkle way. The path is very bumpy in places and I didn't notice until I was almost at the University that one of my pannier bags had made a bid for freedom somewhere along the route. I turned round and retraced but it had obviously already been picked up by someone.

Luckily, there wasn't much of great value in the bag - only my second pair of glasses...

So that's two pairs of expensive varifocals lost in the space of a few days. Arses.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4410 on: Yesterday at 10:17:00 am »
If you need varifocals why aren't you wearing them? (That's the best way of not losing them)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #4411 on: Yesterday at 10:50:38 am »
If you need varifocals why aren't you wearing them? (That's the best way of not losing them)

Because it’s quite possible to ride (and in my case also read) without them. I never wore them under  cycling glasses.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4412 on: Yesterday at 10:56:23 am »

They’re “occupational” lenses, for office use. Nice to have but not absolutely necessary and a bit of an extravagance given that single focus reading glasses can be had for a few quid.
https://www.specsavers.co.uk/glasses/glasses-lenses/occupational-lenses

I don’t need glasses for distance. Yet.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #4413 on: Yesterday at 02:22:28 pm »
Self: The reason you couldn't find the fly on your boxer shorts when about to pee was that you put them on back to front. OK, it was before 6am, but still...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #4414 on: Yesterday at 03:03:00 pm »

Because it’s quite possible to ride (and in my case also read) without them. I never wore them under  cycling glasses.

Fairly weak prescription, then.
I couldn't do either without them.
<i>Marmite slave</i>