Author Topic: COVID19 and Audax UK  (Read 113640 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: COVID19 and Audax UK
« Reply #225 on: 19 June, 2020, 08:02:02 pm »
This is what Randonneurs NL sent me today (apologies for the Google Translate but it mostly makes sense)

As of July 1, a number of rules surrounding the corona will be relaxed. We do not yet know the exact details, but we believe that we can organize licenses again from 1 July 2020. This will have to be done under a number of strict conditions.
Health and safety will remain our priority even after this relaxation and driving a BRM will require more discipline than before. To facilitate this, we have the following conditions:

The number of participants of a BRM will be limited in consultation with the organizer, but will now be a maximum of 100.
Participation in a BRM is only possible by pre-registration via our website, up to 48 hours before the start of the license. Day registration is therefore not possible.

The first 7 days of opening are only for members of Randonneurs Netherlands, after these 7 days everyone can register.
Registration is done via the event / certification on our website.

Do not use Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge for registration, preferably use Google Chrome or Opera
Payment must be made in advance and online. Without correct payment, there is no pre-registration.

The start is spread over a maximum of two hours.

Permanent checks (in catering, etc) are temporarily abolished and replaced by free checks.

The starting formalities are handled outdoors as much as possible to avoid too many people being together in a confined space. The control cards are prepared for the participant.

In addition to the normal acceptance of the BRM rules, each participant will receive a form to sign with a health declaration and rules of conduct as described here when registering.

Control cards are checked at an appropriate distance by the organization after application and validated for homologation.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #226 on: 19 June, 2020, 08:17:13 pm »
On the organized overnighting front, SYHA seem to think my hiking club can make use of the Rent-a-Hostels we have booked despite having booked 16 beds in 2 8 bed rooms and almost everyone being from different houses, so they possibly have a plan that fits the social distancing bill.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #227 on: 19 June, 2020, 09:07:49 pm »
On the organized overnighting front, SYHA seem to think my hiking club can make use of the Rent-a-Hostels we have booked despite having booked 16 beds in 2 8 bed rooms and almost everyone being from different houses, so they possibly have a plan that fits the social distancing bill.
Sounds like they are assuming you are all one bubble. I would not tell them you are all from different houses.

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #228 on: 19 June, 2020, 09:33:30 pm »
Sounds like they are assuming you are all one bubble. I would not tell them you are all from different houses.

Possibly, or they (as is possibly the case) have a better idea of what will be allowed in "Phase 3" in terms of different bubbles meeting up.
Current estimate is 1900 people in Scotland likely to have it, which is 15% of the estimate 3 weeks ago, repeat that over the next 3 weeks and it's below 500 which would give much bigger scope on reopening.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #229 on: 19 June, 2020, 11:16:51 pm »
This is what Randonneurs NL sent me today (apologies for the Google Translate but it mostly makes sense)

Quite good that -  one of the best 'official pronouncements' I've seen.

Good news about the traveling, but apart from audax hotels there is nowhere to stay. This is the primary reason why I found it so hard to understand why Lejog was not cancelled. How can you offer a 5 day ride with no offer of accomodation that complies with the law? Never mind been able to feed people in one place.

It's been cancelled for a while.
LeJog (the July event) hs not been enterable since mid-March and will remain not enterable.  Yes it could still run for entrants from before that date but AUK have clearly stated they won't validate those July rides (though I suppose there is still time for that to change).
So I suppose it's right to say LeJog isn't cancelled because, well, things could change.  But in reality it has been cancelled for the last 3 months.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #230 on: 19 June, 2020, 11:28:01 pm »

Quite good that -  one of the best 'official pronouncements' I've seen.

Good news about the traveling, but apart from audax hotels there is nowhere to stay. This is the primary reason why I found it so hard to understand why Lejog was not cancelled. How can you offer a 5 day ride with no offer of accomodation that complies with the law? Never mind been able to feed people in one place.

It's been cancelled for a while.
LeJog (the July event) hs not been enterable since mid-March and will remain not enterable.  Yes it could still run for entrants from before that date but AUK have clearly stated they won't validate those July rides (though I suppose there is still time for that to change).
So I suppose it's right to say LeJog isn't cancelled because, well, things could change.  But in reality it has been cancelled for the last 3 months.
No it hasn't. Cancelled eoukx mean there had been communication from the organiser to the entrants stating it was off, rather t han leaving everyone in limbo, still committed to a ride that probably won't happen. Unable to cancel booking related to the event and having to continue to commit annual leave go ty hat week, because even though it probably won't happen, it still might happen.

As far as I am concerned that only changed this week when thd board announced they would not validate anything before 1st August, and even then it would only be 200km perms.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #231 on: 20 June, 2020, 06:44:59 pm »
I guess for all you blokes the world is your urinal, but for others of us audaxing without toilets is going to be unpleasant/awkward.

I was out today for 6 hours. Much longer and I'd want a flushing facility and somewhere to wash my hands- and not just soap sheets and a rinse from my water bottle.

Is there any guidance on when we can expect to see public toilets opening? Or do I need to plan routes with dense woodland, thick hedges, or reliably erected dry stone walls?

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #232 on: 20 June, 2020, 07:26:25 pm »
The public loos in Dunmow have been open for about a month now - I reckon the Town Council thought they didn't need the extra watering all over the extensive and lovely Downs and Commons, [which has been very busy with picnics and meet-ups]. Especially as the Angel and Harp conveniently nearby now has an outdoor bar.

On my travels I've not come across any other open facilities. Not sure I'd want to actually use the toilets though.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #233 on: 20 June, 2020, 07:52:28 pm »

Is there any guidance on when we can expect to see public toilets opening?
https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/shop/official-and-only-genuine-radar-key
this any good for you?
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #234 on: 20 June, 2020, 08:02:54 pm »
"Important - We only sell the Genuine Radar NKS Key to people who require use of the toilet facilities due to their disability or health condition."

I wasn't aware being female was a disability.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #235 on: 20 June, 2020, 08:20:53 pm »
I wasn't aware being female was a disability.

It is when they close all the loos.  Social model, innit.

But yes, while I have a legitimate Radar key and occasionally put it to good use accessing toilets at antisocial hours (and opening Silly Sustrans Gates™) on bike rides, this isn't a scaleable solution to lack of toilet provision.

Also, this:

Not sure I'd want to actually use the toilets though.

Currently I've been managing with hedge inspections on longer rides.  But that only works in areas with suitable hedges, and - again - isn't a scaleable solution.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #236 on: 20 June, 2020, 08:42:16 pm »
Public toilets closed due to Covid? In Bristol they were all closed a couple of years ago due to austerity. Not that you're likely to be audaxing through a city centre, but just for context.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #237 on: 20 June, 2020, 09:21:32 pm »

Bogs seem to be one the largest areas of concern for transmission; although there are plenty of other reasons for avoiding public lavvies.

Guidance on Hospitality is published
https://www.ukhospitality.org.uk/page/ScotlandGuidance

So it looks like the approach for Scotland at least is that sharing a room is fine... you're just going to be getting a phone call if anyone you share the room with is found to have it.

If a guest-presents themselves with symptoms of COVID-19 in either a private room or shared dormitory or is asymptomatic but declares the need to self-isolate, they should be advised to self-isolate according to current government guidance.
This will apply to all guests that were present in the room.

There's also stuff about not opening self-catering kitchens and controlling who uses what bogs.
All a bit impractical when your 2 club trips planned are to Tongue and Ratagan and therefore miles away from anywhere you can eat.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #238 on: 20 June, 2020, 11:38:10 pm »
Toilets??  Is this some parallel universe I know nothing about?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #239 on: 21 June, 2020, 08:26:44 am »
Our District council has opened its toilets.
It is simpler than it looks.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #240 on: 21 June, 2020, 09:33:58 am »
Temporary toilets installed on Blackheath Common - handy if you're on your way back from West Kent to central-ish or east London
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Davef

COVID19 and Audax UK
« Reply #241 on: 21 June, 2020, 09:51:39 am »
Raymond Martin, managing director of the British Toilet Association (BTA), said there would need to be a "complete rethink" of public toilets for the post-Covid age.
It could ultimately spell the end of the urinal, he says, as operators switch to individual cubicles with wash basins and baby changing facilities inside them. Work is underway on a “dig your own pit loo” guide.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #242 on: 21 June, 2020, 10:15:21 am »

Bogs seem to be one the largest areas of concern for transmission; although there are plenty of other reasons for avoiding public lavvies.

Is this legitimate though? surely everyone wasbes their hands before leaving and doesn't touch their face while in there.

People tend not to be in close proximity in the toilets and the response in denying access to hand washing facilities which is much better than using alcohol gel anyway.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Davef

« Reply #243 on: 21 June, 2020, 10:21:29 am »

Is this legitimate though? surely everyone wasbes their hands before leaving and doesn't touch their face while in there.

People tend not to be in close proximity in the toilets and the response in denying access to hand washing facilities which is much better than using alcohol gel anyway.
... and there are often compelling reasons to hold your breath

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #244 on: 21 June, 2020, 11:42:59 am »
It could ultimately spell the end of the urinal, he says, as operators switch to individual cubicles with wash basins and baby changing facilities inside them. Work is underway on a “dig your own pit loo” guide.

I would have thought a urinal (Brit-style, ie all ranged along one wall - as opposed to classic French-style, facing each other in a circle) was one of the most covid-safe of institutions.  No touching of anything, to speak of.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #245 on: 21 June, 2020, 12:00:29 pm »

Is there any guidance on when we can expect to see public toilets opening?
https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/shop/official-and-only-genuine-radar-key
this any good for you?
Quote from Link:
Important - We only sell the Genuine Radar NKS Key to people who require use of the toilet facilities due to their disability or health condition. By purchasing a key VAT free you are declaring yourself eligible to claim VAT relief and that the key is for your domestic and personal use only.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #246 on: 21 June, 2020, 01:47:05 pm »

The 2 concerns seem to be virus being expelled into the bowl from the user and then made airborne by flushing (whne did you last see a public lavy with a lid?)
And people washing hands after touching all the surfaces in a public lavvy? you're taking the piss right you're lucky if 1/3 of users wash their hands properly in them, or are even able to wash their hands properly in them.

I would have thought a urinal (Brit-style, ie all ranged along one wall - as opposed to classic French-style, facing each other in a circle) was one of the most covid-safe of institutions.  No touching of anything, to speak of.

And of course the "rules" of using them enforce social distancing anyway.
Until someone breaks the rules and you're bursting of course.

« Reply #247 on: 23 June, 2020, 01:30:49 pm »
"When circumstances change, I change my decision."
I hope that the Audax UK board will revise forwards (to 18 July) the resumption date for encouraging and validating rides, given the revision to the guidelines in England announced just now (Tuesday 23 June). We can surely rely on the prudence and self-discipline of riders to minimise the risk to themselves and others. Any risk to the reputation of Audax UK and to cycling in general is surely illusory.
The various home nations will be most likely to make similar judgements and take similar decisions in the next fortnight so the argument that Audax UK has to wait, wait, wait for all home nations to align before resuming is surely weakened. Of course local laws and guidelines varied with time/date would remain to be adhered to.
Individuals will have different approaches to the minimal risk that outdoor activity - specifically long distance cycling - incurs (to themselves and others). And they will choose to ride: at all, short distances, long (day) distances, alone, in pairs, in groups of 'x' - or not: individual decision.
Given Audax UK's objective of encouraging long distance riding, it does not need to apply additional, cautious restrictions on such activity.

Davef

COVID19 and Audax UK
« Reply #248 on: 23 June, 2020, 02:16:31 pm »
We all have to adapt to the new normal. I am doing long solo day rides (along with a bit of tennis and swimming). When it is legal to do so (4th July in England) I will occasionally stay overnight. In line with government guidance I minimise social interaction - despite feeling guilty about the economic impact I am avoiding shops. I may however in due course even go as far as having a beer in a pub garden.  It is all about balance so I am mitigating these risks by not carrying a brevet card. After a LEJOG I will change over to running ready for the London marathon in October with 40,000 others - apparently this is likely to go ahead as outdoor infections are vanishingly rare.  After that I will take a break until the first auk calendar ride is likely scheduled.

« Reply #249 on: 23 June, 2020, 03:11:05 pm »
Good to see you're taking a responsible attitude, Dave, and mitigating the additional risks you're incurring/creating by making sure there's nothing stiff in your pocket which might exacerbate things and avoiding the reputational damage that AUK might suffer if people discover that it has been encouraging long distance cycling when the rest of the country is getting back some way towards normal.
Is your 7x200k LEJOG still on in late July? I take it hotels have been content to take your bookings?