Author Topic: Wireless doorbells  (Read 1540 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Wireless doorbells
« on: 01 November, 2014, 03:05:56 pm »
We need a wireless doorbell system that allows multiple chimes and multiple buttons all connected together. If it operates on a frequency that has no trouble penetrating walls, so much the better. Is this too much to ask?

The cheapo system we've been using is very temperamental and difficult to set up with multiple buttons.

I like the look of this one but it is very spendy:
http://doorchimesuk.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_47&products_id=353

Anyone have any experience of Jacob Jensen doorbells? Any other recommendations?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Wireless doorbells
« Reply #1 on: 01 November, 2014, 03:18:56 pm »
Siemens ones just work, both ourselves and the FiL have them.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 01 November, 2014, 04:26:29 pm »
Wireless doorbells are a work of Stan, for all the usual wireless reasons.   :hand:

I doubt you'll find anything that isn't on 433MHz (or maybe 2.4GHz, which will be worse for penetrating walls).  Accidentally setting yours to the same code as your neighbour's can be amusing.

Don't skimp on a sounder within earshot of the door.  You need to provide feedback to the user so they don't assume you came because you heard them knocking.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 01 November, 2014, 04:39:47 pm »
I once had the amusing experience of locking our car remotely and setting off my brother's doorbell, in whose garden we had parked.

They were expecting us, but what they were not expecting was their doorbell playing the chimes of big ben when they had only ever previously heard it go "ding-dong" in a falling minor third.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 01 November, 2014, 04:46:03 pm »
I once had the amusing experience of locking our car remotely and setting off my brother's doorbell, in whose garden we had parked.

They were expecting us, but what they were not expecting was their doorbell playing the chimes of big ben when they had only ever previously heard it go "ding-dong" in a falling minor third.

We had a cheap and nasty one (before I replaced it with a (wired) Arduino) that once randomly Big Benned at us for no apparent reason.  I don't think you were locking you car outside at the time.  Amusingly Big Ben wasn't one of the selectable sound options (presumably to save the cost of DIP switches).

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5 on: 01 November, 2014, 05:06:19 pm »
Tried a Friedland. Won't penetrate a metre of stonework.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6 on: 01 November, 2014, 10:10:57 pm »

We had a cheap and nasty one (before I replaced it with a (wired) Arduino) that once randomly Big Benned at us for no apparent reason.  I don't think you were locking you car outside at the time.  Amusingly Big Ben wasn't one of the selectable sound options (presumably to save the cost of DIP switches).

It was my last-but-one car, a Vauxhall Astra that ran on LPG as well as petrol and saved me about £1000 a year in fuel costs.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #7 on: 02 November, 2014, 12:14:33 am »
My current setup is an ebay special with mains powered sounders. The wireless bit is hacked into the original doorbell switch and run off a 20m wire in the center of the house from whence it will happily trigger all the sounders. Each of the soundes is set to a different tune.  One sounder is a false alarm, many is a genuine caller.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

citoyen

« Reply #8 on: 02 November, 2014, 10:09:17 pm »
Siemens ones just work, both ourselves and the FiL have them.

Cheers. Will have a look at them.

citoyen

« Reply #9 on: 02 November, 2014, 10:11:37 pm »
Wireless doorbells are a work of Stan, for all the usual wireless reasons.   :hand:

Is that due to inherent flaws in the technology or just because cheap ones are cheaply made? Is there some particular characteristic/feature I should be looking for that would mark out the better models?

citoyen

« Reply #10 on: 02 November, 2014, 10:18:59 pm »
The wireless bit is hacked into the original doorbell switch and run off a 20m wire in the center of the house from whence it will happily trigger all the sounders.

Funnily enough, I've considered something along those lines. Reckon I could easily run a wire from the doorbell to somewhere inside the house.

I've also been wondering about wifi doorbells. There's a thing called Skybell with a camera in it. That looks interesting. Although I presume wifi suffers from the same issues as other kinds of wireless doorbells.