Author Topic: Phone Suggestions  (Read 9412 times)

Re: Phone Suggestions
« Reply #75 on: 06 June, 2014, 03:36:48 pm »
I'm a budget cheapass. Z2 is a lot more expensive - I'm looking at £20 per month or less.

Ironically, I pay about £50 per month for mobiles. Me, wife, teen#1, teen#2.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #76 on: 06 June, 2014, 03:41:14 pm »
Battery life on smartphones is excellent, what isn't excellent is the drain using apps puts on it. ;)

I broke the screen of my first iPhone and physically could not turn it off as you need the screen to do that.  I could do nothing else either.  It took 2 weeks for the battery to drain down enough for it to turn off an allow me to replace the screen without doing it while it was still on…

[edit] OK that's me replying to something on page 1 without noticing (a) there are 3 further pages and (b) it was posted months ago  :facepalm:
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #77 on: 06 June, 2014, 03:50:12 pm »
Best to ask Oaky.

I guess nobody here has a Nexus 5 then. Having trouble deciding between that and an HTC One.

Wrong.

I haz a Nexus 5, very very happy with it. Battery life goes to 2 days with only light use, can't find anything wrong with it, I don't use it as a media device. I've recently upgraded to 4G and it is 4F Fast. Anything in particular you want to know?

« Reply #78 on: 06 June, 2014, 03:56:04 pm »
build quality, longevity of phone (ie has it been susceptible to damage). What do you think of the camera?

I believe it doesn't have an FM radio which I find annoying. I listen to the radio.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #79 on: 06 June, 2014, 04:08:04 pm »
Build quality is very good, I suspect that the HTC one is higher, but I'm not disappointed. I have the front and back covered in a high quality film and I have a case rather like a bumper but with a clear back you can drop your own photo in. It survives less than delicate handling and sitting in the back of my jersey happily; its predecessor the Nexus 4 took a dive from the top of the lockers in the changing room and the screen is buggered (I actually have it and a screen which I would be open to offers on if you are interested - I can fill you in on why I haven't done the repair).

Screen is precise to use and easy to see, GPS is great. Camera is as good as I'd want from a phone with a chip of that size, one of the reasons I considered the One was the lower pixel count but the N5 is OK. The 360 panorama is a bit of fun if you can be bothered. Again, the One might edge teh N5 on the sound but the N5 sound seems ok to me. No FM Radio, but will stream happily, which is frighteningly practical for both audio and video with 4G. KitKat appears a very strong OS, there's no (maybe not much, I dunno) bloatware so I haven't considered rooting. It is a bit Google immersive though, but I'm happy to sell my soul. It is a little bit disconcerting when you look up a place on Google on your PC, pick up the phone to be told how long it would take you to cycle there.

« Reply #80 on: 06 June, 2014, 04:16:02 pm »
do you have the black model? That's supposed to come with a thin rubber covering.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #81 on: 06 June, 2014, 04:26:06 pm »

« Reply #82 on: 06 June, 2014, 09:32:57 pm »
No FM Radio, but will stream happily, which is frighteningly practical for both audio and video with 4G.
I tried that with my phone on the way home. Apart from the places I lost signal, the quality was brilliant!  Nearly 10mb data for 40 minutes tho.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #83 on: 08 June, 2014, 08:25:10 am »
I have a black Nexus 5, it's fine, but I don't have experience of the competition. 
Battery life is fine, if you don't use it, I use a bumper case and a film cover over the screen.  I don't think the film cover is necessary.

These are large phones, I carry mine in a belt pouch gut I don't care what I look like.

« Reply #84 on: 24 June, 2014, 10:37:52 am »
If anyone is still looking for a phone, we have a new value champion - the Motorola Moto G, which has similar specs to the Nexus 4 but costs just £120 on PAYG. Motorola are now owned by Google, so you get the same guaranteed Android upgrades as the Nexus devices. It has a more basic plastic chassis than the Nexus 4, but the battery is considerably larger and user-replaceable. I've only had the chance to briefly play with a preview unit, but it looks like an absolute belter for the price - quad core processor, a big 720p screen with Gorilla Glass and surprisingly good build quality.
I've just bought a Moto G from eBay to replace my trusty Nexus S (which has done me reasonably well since 2010 but whose screen I've just managed to crack on the kitchen tiles). I found a new Moto G for £104.99 including £10 payg sim on O2, and I'm hoping it will work unlocked on Giffgaff.