Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
OT Knowledge / Re: Mixer Tap regulations
« Last post by matthew on Today at 01:36:56 pm »
Cudz, your stretching my knowledge of the regs to the very limit.

I would say that hot water might be potable or 'wholesome' under the terms of the regulations, but because mains tap water shouldn't be tepid as that would potentially be unpaletable there is a requirement to prevent mixing. See here for the fluid categories https://www.waterregsuk.co.uk/guidance/backflow-protection/backflow-protection/backflow-protection/what-is-a-fluid-cate/

With my water treatment hat on the other reason I wouldn't want to mix in hot water is the residual disinfectant (chlorine or chloramines) that are there to suppress any microbiological contamination after treatment that might make the water unsafe. Heating the water will reduce this residual and will therefore mean that the water once cooled could easily become a viable media for biological growth, see legionella's etc.
The Sporting Life / Re: County Cricket 2024
« Last post by CrazyEnglishTriathlete on Today at 01:35:23 pm »
10 balls so far at Canterbury.  Zak Crawley 1 of 1 (100 scoring rate).  Ben Compton 0 off 9 (scoring rate 0).
« Last post by Kim on Today at 01:34:44 pm »
Presumably yes, for the purposes of whether it's allowed to get into water mains.  Once you heat it up, there's the possibility of legionella or whatever.

Nothing to stop you brushing your teeth with it, of course.
The Pub / Re: Confessions of a tool junkie
« Last post by Cudzoziemiec on Today at 01:33:58 pm »
Sugru used to be available from Wilkos. I know this is not a useful answer.
The Pub / Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Last post by Kim on Today at 01:32:34 pm »
Open plan office: Good for collaboration, teamwork and bouncing ideas.

Open plan office with PEOPLE WHO TALK SO LOUDLY: Bad and makes me grumpy.
Open plan quiet office, so no chatting, no calls. Splendid. Except for the extra noisy eating of lunch. I'd rather have a background chatter than him.

Yeah. Try it with desperate computer salesmen doing due diligence on the phone and running their number-plate businesses on the company's time while you're trying to figure out a Univac 1100 Series config on the other side of a divider.  I got out of there ASAP.

Open plan works almost as well for handling confidential data as it does for herding computers...
« Last post by Cudzoziemiec on Today at 01:29:26 pm »
Or if the hot water is potable, as per a combi boiler.

Kim this is not possible, under the water regs, potable water is class 1, water with an aesthetic change e.g. of temperature, is class 2 and requires a back flow prevention device. The classes make their way through to class 5 for containing toxins, carcinogens etc. and the resilience of the device gets more stringent the worse the fluid.

The reason that the combi boiler doesn't need a backflow protection device is because the water is from the source (mains) and therefore at the same pressure and cannot reverse the flow, if the combi boiler was being fed from a header tank in the loft the pressures would be different and the backflow protection device would be required.
Does this mean that hot water is always defined as being non-potable? And if so, a) why? b) doesn't that mean that in practice the majority of cold water from a mixer tap is non-potable (because it's very rare the mixer is all the way over to 100% cold)?
The Pub / Re: Confessions of a tool junkie
« Last post by Kim on Today at 01:28:23 pm »
On a related note, there seems to be a shortage of Blackmorph.  (The white stuff is more readily available.)
The Sporting Life / Re: County Cricket 2024
« Last post by Wowbagger on Today at 01:21:19 pm »
Surrey seem to have been very unlucky with the weather so far. Hardly any play in their first match in Lancashire, and no play before lunch today in Canterbury.

Meanwhile, Essex seem to have made a decent start thanks to Snater (what a lovely name!) whose figures so far are 2 overs, 1 maiden, 1 run, 2 wickets.
Caption It / Re: Caption it #2080
« Last post by Lightning Phil on Today at 12:57:11 pm »
Getting your meat and two veg at the Dutch supermarket
Audax / Re: Double Dutch, Ship of the Fens 200
« Last post by telstarbox on Today at 12:51:13 pm »
Ok!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10