Author Topic: DOTD  (Read 213638 times)

spindrift

Re: DOTD
« Reply #375 on: 31 July, 2015, 05:37:12 pm »
Dunno if he chased anyone down, he just carried on with his ride. Mr Sweary driver may not have learned anything from this, thousands of other potential sweary drivers have.

red marley

« Reply #376 on: 31 July, 2015, 05:58:16 pm »
I don't share your optimism. I think the kind of confrontational behaviour shown by both in the video just reinforces an "us and them" attitude that will do little to encourage considerate behaviour. Headcam warriors do us no favours at all, putting off potential new cyclists and normalising what is still thankfully relatively rare aggressive behaviour.

spindrift

« Reply #377 on: 31 July, 2015, 06:00:12 pm »
Politely remonstrating with a driver who just risked your life isn't being a "warrior".

Drivers sometimes offer unremunerated and un-asked for advice to me, even when I haven't come close to endangering them, wouldn't occur to me to threaten them for doing so.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #378 on: 31 July, 2015, 06:03:16 pm »
I just put that on the today's motorised moron thread, I was thinking it might not be out of place here too - seems I'm not the only one who thought that  :thumbsup:

Yeah, both were dicks there really.

I did enjoy 'Do you have insurance? no!'  er... 'Yes'

though
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #379 on: 31 July, 2015, 06:11:11 pm »
Politely remonstrating with a driver who just risked your life isn't being a "warrior".

Chasing him down several turns later in order to do so is more than a bit confrontational, though.

And I agree with jo about the merits of sharing videos like this.

spindrift

« Reply #380 on: 31 July, 2015, 06:12:46 pm »
 That may have been his commute, catching up with that driver just shows how stupid and pointless the dangerous overtake was.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #381 on: 31 July, 2015, 06:17:50 pm »
That may have been his commute, catching up with that driver just shows how stupid and pointless the dangerous overtake was.

It seems a suboptimal route for a commute, doubling back on yourself like that.

spindrift

« Reply #382 on: 31 July, 2015, 06:20:16 pm »

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #383 on: 31 July, 2015, 06:22:04 pm »
Should have been wearing a helmet.
Getting there...

spindrift

« Reply #384 on: 31 July, 2015, 06:25:31 pm »

« Reply #385 on: 31 July, 2015, 09:37:37 pm »
Spindrift, you cock!  ;D
I'm with Jo on this one.
Cyclist appeared to be no peace ambassador....
I pity the next cyclist the Peugeot driver encounters.
I can't help but think that if there had been no camera, this would have been a non-incident - other than for a sharp intake of breath.

Must confess to allowing myself a snigger when I see Peugeot-boy take a roll. :demon:
As well as feel sorry for him.
That probably hurt.
It wasn't any judo break-fall I've seen before.

« Reply #386 on: 31 July, 2015, 11:15:47 pm »
Whatever the rights or wrongs of the guy on the bike.......that is extremely funny.

« Reply #387 on: 01 August, 2015, 08:19:26 am »
The worst side of cycling vigilantism. Looked at some of the other of his videos, he must be really pleased to have something so "exciting".

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #388 on: 26 August, 2015, 02:45:56 pm »
Cycling in London there's no shortage of idiots on bicycles, every day I encounter two wheeled idiots determined to injure themselves and others and I thought I'd seen just about every variant of muppetry and fuckwitedness that humanity could devise, but this morning I met one who was so far off the stupid scale that to call him a moron would be an insult to morons worldwide.

I was on my way to work and going along Lombard Road in Battersea about here.

At the traffic lights ahead the path from the river comes out on the left (which is why the lights are there). Just behind me on the left the path goes back to the river. Lazy/stupid (ie pretty much most of them) cyclists used to come out at the lights and cycle along the pavement, despite the no cycling signs. But at the moment the pavement isn't there as the site on the left is being redeveloped*

As I was about where the camera is in the streetview link, a cyclist comes out from the path on the left at the lights into the road (on the wrong side) and cycles towards me, so I moved out to avoid him, then to add to the fun his dog appeared behind him. Not on a lead, Mr. muppet wasn't even looking to see what his dog was doing, it was just running behind him. Seeing me the dog just ran out into the centre of the lane, and my worry was that the cars behind having seen me swerve to avoid the idiot wouldn't spot the dog and would run it over. Fortunately they did and no animals were injured.

The world is full of these idiots - and most of them probably drive cars as well.

* Because the pavement isn't there the developers have added a temporary traffic light (and someone to operate it) to allow pedestrians to cross, go along the other side and cross back at the lights, most don't, but that's ok because there are enough people in high vis and hard hats in the road to shield them.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #389 on: 27 August, 2015, 04:35:23 pm »
I often say hello or good morning to the hi viz clad workers.  Sometimes they put the lights on red when they see me approaching now!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #390 on: 28 August, 2015, 11:31:09 am »
Yesterday am when my wife was on the way to work. The driver edging out from a l/h road. He sees he and she knows he's going to go anyway so she starts to slow down and he goes. he then goes immeditely right to a block of shops on the opp. side of the road but forgets to look for oncoming traffic and finds a car in the side of his. No doubt the cyclist was to blame somewhere. She witnessed an incident the other week on the Belmont road, north of Bolton where a motorist passed the cyclists from her club (sensibly) but when he got to the leading cyclist he then immediately turned right towards his house but found a motorcycle buried in the side of his car and the rider later died after being carried off in the helicopter. It's always that moments inattention. >:( :(

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #391 on: 24 September, 2015, 12:32:20 am »
I must have a sign on my back that says "fuck me from behind", that everybody but me can see.

On the way home, pulling away from a set of lights another bicycle overtook me and immediately cut across me to go up the ramp, immediately after the lights, onto the pavement. Fortunately my brakes were a little sharper than his brain.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #392 on: 29 September, 2015, 10:32:23 am »
I must have a sign on my back that says "fuck me from behind", that everybody but me can see.

On the way home, pulling away from a set of lights another bicycle overtook me and immediately cut across me to go up the ramp, immediately after the lights, onto the pavement. Fortunately my brakes were a little sharper than his brain.

No, I just think that the level of road skills (and road sense) is diminishing, or being more widely spread amongst a greater number of people (in the way that a the last tiny remnants of a tub of margarine get very thinly spread on a piece of toast).  I’m sure I’m seeing worse riding on the roads I share with you for commuting than I used to.

Some big tubby sack of shit ahead of me went up the inside of a 4x4 as it was going through a pinch point, was almost taken out and then shouted at the car driver.

I over took him at the earliest safe opportunity (after he had helpfully pulled out to the right without looking or signalling a smidge earlier).  Then he overtook me at the lights and sat in front of me (in the pedestrian crossing).

ian

« Reply #393 on: 29 September, 2015, 11:02:41 am »
Not sure about this one, but I saw an off on Saturday up Hackney-way (the road from Homerton to the bridge over the Lea). Lycra-clad bloke with all the gear sprints past me. There's a car ahead of him indicating left, quite obviously to pull into some flats. Now, yes, the driver should have looked in their mirror, but equally it was obvious what they were doing and the cyclist could have simply slowed down and let them complete the manoevre or gone around on the outside. But no, he had to try and go through the inside and clipped the front of the turning car. He was fine but having a right barney at the driver. It was one of those things so easily avoided by either party, especially the cyclist who had two easy options.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #394 on: 30 September, 2015, 01:01:25 pm »
In my view that is 100% the cyclist. If he goes left up the side of a left turning vehicle, it is unreasonable to expect the driver to be looking in the mirror all the time to spot such stupid behaviour.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #395 on: 07 October, 2015, 08:53:49 am »
Dicks of the 1030pm yesterday are the two yoofs in dark clothes, no lights, riding along a narrow and somewhat twisty unlit road - on the wrong side!

Anybody who's familiar with the road between Upper Gravenhurst and Campton will want to join me in saying "They must be bloody stupid!"
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #396 on: 08 October, 2015, 09:40:32 pm »
The black-clad fixed wheel ninja who decided that it was a good idea to overtake a group of cyclists approaching a junction on Tower Bridge Road on their right and then immediately turn left across their wheels. It was a move worthy of the Addison Lee bag that he had over his shoulder.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #397 on: 14 October, 2015, 11:46:51 am »
Yesterday's bloke on the Overground, too old to be a hipster, travelling with a nice old orange and chrome derailleur frame built for 27" wheels. He'd achieved a single-speed 700c conversion by the simple expedient of taking both brakes off. No, it wasn't a fixie. And the chain was very, very slack. (I suppose it's possible he'd just bought it and was taking it home to rescue, which would make the DOTD the previous owner.)
Not especially helpful or mature

« Reply #398 on: 14 October, 2015, 03:45:19 pm »
Leeds, this morning. Rush-hour pedestrian levels.
Rider on a full carbon aero-frame-tube jobby with deep, deep section rims (prob near 90mm. Bad Bunny hop onto pavement then proceeded to honk in surges like he was going up a 1/3.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #399 on: 20 October, 2015, 07:10:32 pm »
JUst wonder what goes through some peoples heads at times.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-34584344
" One Cup Of Tea Is Never Enough But 2 Is One Too Many " - John Shuttleworth