Author Topic: e-scooter trial  (Read 93865 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: e-scooter trial
« Reply #150 on: 25 September, 2020, 01:07:24 pm »
Scooters are about as appropriate to use on a towpath as bicycles are.  Fine in moderation for leisure use, but it doesn't scale well in the urban areas when people start trying to use the paths for transport.

I can't imagine the CRT are particularly keen to have someone do a Basil due to a small wheel / knobbly 'heritage' bricks interaction, but obviously not to the point of sorting out the brick hazards.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #151 on: 02 October, 2020, 12:13:16 pm »

Some interesting mixed messages form MP's here, but generally a promising move in the right direction...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54380251

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #152 on: 02 October, 2020, 05:26:15 pm »
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #153 on: 02 October, 2020, 08:35:19 pm »
Hire scooter schemes MUST have mandatory docks and agree about harsh enforcement about pavement scootering. The RNIB has been consulting on this for years but we keep allowing dockless hire schemes...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #154 on: 02 October, 2020, 09:24:39 pm »
Hire scooter schemes MUST have mandatory docks and agree about harsh enforcement about pavement scootering. The RNIB has been consulting on this for years but we keep allowing dockless hire schemes...

Because docks dramatically reduce the utility of such items.

The actual solution is much much more pervasive properly designed parking facilities that bikes and scooters can use. We could start by replacing most of the parking spaces with such things...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #155 on: 03 October, 2020, 04:47:45 pm »
I think those are both good points. Dockless hire objects, whether e-scooters, e-bikes or good ole p-bikes, do tend to get left in annoying random pavement-littering places. However, this can be reduced; Yo Bikes (dockless hire scheme in Bristol which has been surprisingly successful*) managed to greatly reduce this problem by specifying certain places the bikes had to be left in.

But more bike parking is needed regardless of hire schemes. If it is of a designed that can be used by scooters, kids' bikes, recumbents, trikes and tandems, and of course monowheels and so on, then all the better. When I rule the world** yes, we'll replace every fifth car parking space with such stands.

*In terms of getting people to use the things. I've no idea of and less interest in their finances.
**Or am Jacinda Ardern's deputy, obviously along with Mr Larrington and various other people.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #156 on: 03 October, 2020, 09:57:01 pm »
Geodocking apparently works as well as physical docks... But there need to be clear docks so hire ones CANNOT be left randomly on pavements or walkways. People tend to be more careful of scooters they own - funnily enough.

If hire systems can't work out how to dock em, then they don't get to have em.

I have a strong wheelchair using friend in London who throws badly placed scooters/hire bikes into the road and I'm inclined to his sentiment. Disabled people are tired of asking nicely, keep pissing us off and we're going to get very militant very fast. See also parked cars and precious paintwork.

« Reply #157 on: 20 October, 2020, 12:38:23 pm »
Well who would have guessed  ::-)

2 reported crimes in my immediate neighbourhood in the last week carried out by kids on "fixed" e-scooters.  One smash-and-grab from a car and someone's phone snatched from their hand.

As with any new technology, early adopters are usually crims so no exception here.  The ideal get-away mode of transport.  This was the epi-centre of the moped crimewave a couple of years ago (London N1).  That had quietened down - now this.

BTW I don't think these particular scooters are part of any trial
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #158 on: 20 October, 2020, 07:17:01 pm »
Slough has gained a number of bright orange e scooters which are clumped in various areas around the town. They have Wight helmets hanging on them. I have not seen any under power yes though few seem to be scooted by youths and a number of them now seem to be minus there helmets. I will watch development s with interest  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #159 on: 29 October, 2020, 05:32:39 pm »
They've just launched in Bristol. I haven't tried one cos I'm disinclined to pay 20p a minute. Saw two people (ie one couple) who looked to have just unlocked them but didn't hang around to see how they got on with actually riding the things.

Meanwhile in Venice, West Mercia, they've started fishing them out of the Grand Lagoon with magnets.
A group that uses magnets to fish metal items out of Birmingham's canals has been asked to help retrieve missing e-scooters.
Marie Collins, from the Peaky Dippers group, said it had helped fish one from the water and the company had "already told us where there's a few that need pulling out".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/c2w7p1q416dt/electric-bikes-and-scooters

And here's the BBC's photo of a rescued scooter just for your entertainment:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #160 on: 29 October, 2020, 06:09:16 pm »
They've just launched in Bristol. I haven't tried one cos I'm disinclined to pay 20p a minute.

The "HELLOUK" trial code might work...

Meanwhile in Venice, West Mercia, they've started fishing them out of the Grand Lagoon with magnets.

Who could have predicted that this entirely predictable thing would have happened?

A spokesperson from Voi said the company was against any acts of vandalism that could lead to pollution and was developing a "drowning feature" that would alert it immediately when a scooter ended up under water.

I'm picturing a miniature version of the distress beacon buoy thing that submarines send up when the crew's priority abruptly changes from remaining undetected to not drowning (or worse) utterly to DETH.

« Reply #161 on: 29 October, 2020, 08:23:14 pm »
Nah, some marketing/PR guy with no basic understanding of physics will now be having long email conversations with frustrated engineers trying to explain why a drowned escooter cannot report it's position.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #162 on: 02 November, 2020, 02:30:28 pm »
Scooters are limited to 10mph and in some areas – including around the Floating Harbour and in Broadmead – have their speed automatically reduced further.
https://www.bristol247.com/news-and-features/news/e-scooter-hire-trials-begin-in-bristol/
I thought they were limited to 15mph?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #163 on: 02 November, 2020, 02:36:58 pm »
Scooters are limited to 10mph and in some areas – including around the Floating Harbour and in Broadmead – have their speed automatically reduced further.
https://www.bristol247.com/news-and-features/news/e-scooter-hire-trials-begin-in-bristol/
I thought they were limited to 15mph?

Interesting.  I was definitely managing 24kph on the Birmingham one.

Wonder if they've lowered the limit, or it's just journalistic inaccuracy.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #164 on: 02 November, 2020, 02:44:55 pm »
Could be the former but your experience suggests the latter.

The article also sets out the geographical boundary; I'm right on the edge of it, which might or might not be why I found six of them cluttering up the pavement around a mini-roundabout yesterday. Some had been left fairly sensibly but I nearly walked into one that was just round a blind corner on a rather narrow pavement.

Also:
On the evening before the start of the trial, I downloaded the Voi app to see one scooter already on the map – in the middle of the Floating Harbour near Pero’s Bridge.

And what's more:
Before using a scooter for the first time, I had to take a photo of my driving license via the app. Safety is obviously a top priority and the scooter automatically slowed down when I turned left off Anchor Road into the Harbourside development.

It’s a smart bit of technology. And if these scooters can do this, why not cars?

« Reply #165 on: 02 November, 2020, 03:30:44 pm »
Maybe the Bristol scheme has a lower speed limit that is in place elsewhere? If one were actually using this to conduct a trial it would make sense to vary the maximum speed in different schemes and see what effect that has on takeup etc.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #166 on: 03 November, 2020, 03:12:23 pm »
It seems the 10mph limit is correct. After a month or so it will be raised to 25km/h.

Cudzoziemiec

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #168 on: 05 November, 2020, 08:15:27 pm »
Key workers e-scoot for free but only during lockdown.
Voi, the company leading the e-scooter trial in Bristol, will offer anyone with an NHS identity, Blue Light Card or Defence Discount Service the chance to use the scooters free of charge during the second lockdown.
https://www.bristol247.com/news-and-features/news/nhs-and-emergency-service-staff-can-ride-the-new-e-scooters-for-free-during-lockdown/

« Reply #169 on: 16 November, 2020, 12:37:45 pm »
https://www.merseyside.police.uk/news/merseyside/news/2020/november/merseyside-police-urge-parents-and-guardians-to-resconsider-before-buying-electric-scooters-for-christmas/

"Liverpool City Council launched an e-scooter programme within the city centre. For a trial period of one year, around 150 scooters have been made available for members of the public to hire and ride during certain times, within the confines of the approved area, which runs from Boundary Street to Sefton Street.

“Only these scooters are legal to ride, with all privately owned e-scooters remaining illegal to ride anywhere other than private land. The scooters used in the trials will be treated as motor vehicles, and you must be over 18 years of age and have at least a provisional driving licence to use one. "

The public hire scooters do seem to be popular in my part of town (near the university) .   I've yet to try one myself. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #170 on: 19 November, 2020, 02:51:05 pm »
I had a brief ride on last night. There's a distribution point at a street corner near me* and one had been left there either somehow already activated or more likely abandoned before its hire time expired. So I had a little go on it. Not very successfully; my balance on an electric scooter is no better than on a kick scooter and I also had trouble figuring out the throttle thing. So all I can say is that the steering is quick and the motion is slow.

*It's an odd site for a distribution point as according to the map I've seen it's right on the edge of the operating zone. OTOH it's on a hill which some people might not be arsed to walk up and there are lots of students, who seem to be the main users of these things, around.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #171 on: 20 November, 2020, 06:38:31 pm »
Earlier this evening I saw a Deliveroo-ist on one. I would have thought the hire charge would wipe out all her earnings.

« Reply #172 on: 20 November, 2020, 07:44:33 pm »
I have seen quite a lot of the slough ones being used recently much to my surprise. I see a few being used by youngsters who I suspect don't have a licence of any type though  :-\
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #173 on: 21 November, 2020, 05:50:22 pm »
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/crimes-electric-scooters-london-metropolitan-police-b74967.html

Scooterists are evul!   

I'm slightly annoyed that the docks for the local cycle hire scheme are full of these things & also electrically assisted bikes.   It's getting hard to find one of the ordinary pedal ones!

« Reply #174 on: 18 December, 2020, 05:47:23 pm »
https://liverpoolexpress.co.uk/citys-e-scooter-scheme-expands-due-to-demand/

"Since its launch in October this year, people in Liverpool have taken over 72,000 rides and travelled nearly 210,500 km. Currently, there are over 21,000 unique registered riders in Liverpool with the number continuing to grow. "