Author Topic: Brooks or not?  (Read 2606 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Brooks or not?
« on: 16 June, 2021, 07:04:49 pm »
On returning to my steed after my swim this evening, I noticed something awry with my saddle. Closer inspection revealed that the right-hand rail had snapped immediately behind the clamp. This is a bugger: I've not ridden it an awful lot but it was expensive - from memory £110 and I bought it about this time of year probably 5 years ago. It's the Champion Flyer with the copper-plated rails. I can't see that particular model online now, but the Flyer is available.

Clearly I shall need a replacement of some kind. I've found a Flyer on Amazon for £70 or so, but I wondered what the panel thought was an appropriate compromise in terms of price and comfort. I've very seldom ridden anything but Brooks in my entire adult cycling life.

PS. Anyone any experience of these? https://www.gusti-leather.co.uk/bicycle-saddle-leather-saddle-saddle-vintage-saddle-retro-saddle-bicycle-brown-saddle-leather-2f3-20-23?gclid=CjwKCAjwwqaGBhBKEiwAMk-FtOaP9Bx0y1sNhUpvWsLOGoPJh2QruDqVnvMANzo-t3JIPNWomLP_pRoC4gUQAvD_BwE
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: Brooks or not?
« Reply #1 on: 16 June, 2021, 07:46:39 pm »
I thought Brooks leather saddles had a ten year guarantee?

« Reply #2 on: 16 June, 2021, 07:58:12 pm »
Any brooks equipped bicycle I have ridden has been an immense pain in the posterior.  I would personally recommend replacing it with a proper saddle.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3 on: 16 June, 2021, 08:11:45 pm »
Ah - Nutty - the man whose experience trumps that of everyone else!

I thought Brooks leather saddles had a ten year guarantee?

I've just checked - they do if you registered the saddle when new. I'm sure I didn't do this. Only 2 years otherwise.

« Reply #4 on: 16 June, 2021, 08:18:02 pm »
My most recent Brooks is ten years old, the oldest over 20.  Only one failure when a spring broke on a B73 that I used on the dutch upright years ago. ISTR Brooks sent me a replacement f.o.c.

Any brooks equipped bicycle I have ridden has been an immense pain in the posterior.  I would personally recommend replacing it with a proper saddle.

You're sure it was the saddle?
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #5 on: 16 June, 2021, 10:20:08 pm »
 I had the same conundrum about 18 months ago and took the plunge on a Gilles Berthoud Aravis.  I absolutely loved it and now have an Aspin too.   

« Reply #6 on: 16 June, 2021, 10:38:00 pm »
The Rivet saddles are pretty good.  I favour a Pearl.

« Reply #7 on: 16 June, 2021, 11:19:14 pm »
Wow, if you want another Flyer for less than £70 I'm pretty sure I have a (virtually, possibly actually) unused one kicking around. PM me if you want me to dig it out and contemplate fair pricing.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #8 on: 17 June, 2021, 06:44:06 am »
Wow, if you want another Flyer for less than £70 I'm pretty sure I have a (virtually, possibly actually) unused one kicking around. PM me if you want me to dig it out and contemplate fair pricing.

Or if you can settle for a B17, I’ve got at least one knocking around you can have (for free).
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9 on: 17 June, 2021, 09:20:47 am »
You get good ones and bad ones.  I get on best with the old Professional (at least 40 years old now) and the Swallow.  The B17 is too wide for me and the shape of the current Team Professionsl doesn't suit.  I found the Swift murderous and gave it to Manotea.

They are all very heavy; I think the lightest is the titanium Swallow, which is about the same weight as an average utility bike saddle (I think it may be a shade lighter than a stock Brompton saddle) but laughably heavy compared to any other "racing" saddle.  Best to avoid the Ti ones if you're a large unit; Ti rails are not as strong as steel and can't be oversized to compensate because of the seatpost clamp.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #10 on: 17 June, 2021, 11:31:21 pm »
Surely based on your shoe conundrum you should be looking at a non leather variant.  I know Brooks do them, but if you would like something comfortable here is Fizik.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11 on: 18 June, 2021, 02:56:38 pm »
I'm wondering if the copper plating might make the rails more brittle?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #12 on: 18 June, 2021, 11:27:15 pm »

It's not the first breakage of that type that I've had. I would guess that saddles rarely have to put up with the kind of mass that I'm plonking on them.

I had an email back from Brooks offering to mend my saddle for £40. By the time I've posted it to them, that will be quite a bit more. On the Flyer, and, I think, the B66, the rails consist of a single piece of metal which can be removed just by undoing 3 bolts. if they sent me one such I could do the job myself. I will reply to the guy and ask him if they are prepared to send me the part.

I'm not impressed with that response, and I'm not impressed with the 10-year "guarantee" that depends upon the customer knowing it's there and having to jump through hoops in order to activate it. Either guarantee a product or don't, but don't bugger about with silly games.

On the strength of that, I've ordered a Fizik Aliante R3 "Big Arse" from Merlin Cycles. Thanks, all.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #13 on: 25 June, 2021, 08:40:19 pm »

It's not the first breakage of that type that I've had. I would guess that saddles rarely have to put up with the kind of mass that I'm plonking on them.

I had an email back from Brooks offering to mend my saddle for £40. By the time I've posted it to them, that will be quite a bit more. On the Flyer, and, I think, the B66, the rails consist of a single piece of metal which can be removed just by undoing 3 bolts. if they sent me one such I could do the job myself. I will reply to the guy and ask him if they are prepared to send me the part.

I'm not impressed with that response, and I'm not impressed with the 10-year "guarantee" that depends upon the customer knowing it's there and having to jump through hoops in order to activate it. Either guarantee a product or don't, but don't bugger about with silly games.

On the strength of that, I've ordered a Fizik Aliante R3 "Big Arse" from Merlin Cycles. Thanks, all.

Now the sensible thing to do is sell your 'experienced' Brooks. A broken saddle rail is the least of the problems some ebay saddles have.