Author Topic: What is your pet doing right now?*  (Read 213007 times)

Re: What is your pet doing right now?*
« Reply #1675 on: 20 January, 2022, 02:39:10 pm »
Getting restless. Its time for a walk.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1676 on: 20 January, 2022, 03:41:36 pm »
Our mental torties seem to be getting on better since we moved house. Whether that's because there's more space for them to move around indoors or less stress with a lower feline population density outdoors, I don't know. They even frisk together now which they haven't done for years, and now Ninkasi doesn't try to punch Pumpkin in the face every time she sees her.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #1677 on: 21 January, 2022, 01:20:50 pm »
First flea treatment.

Pick up kitten.
Hold kitten to chest while MrsC gets ampule sorted.
Try not to scream as kitten administers a nipple piercing with unfeasibly large claw.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #1678 on: 22 January, 2022, 06:07:16 pm »
Does anyone else's cat do a runner at the sound of a length of aluminium foil being torn off the roll?
Our Lucy, normally gallus and easy-going, heads for the hills, or under the spare bed at least, as soon as I open the drawer where we keep said foil.

Bad Cat does (noises don't bother LMC) – though weirdly she can distinguish normal foil usage (RUN! HIDE! ARRGGGHHH!) from the very same foil when it covers the remnants of the turkey (FOR ME? TURKEY FOR ME, YOU SAY?)

In other exciting pet news, Bad Cat has now started urinating in the bath. Seriously, if we go into the bathroom to conduct our transaction with the toilet, she'll follow, hop into the bath and do the same. Utterly bizarre and disconcerting. Still, as my wife points out, there's are worse places for her to wee.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1679 on: 23 January, 2022, 04:41:27 pm »
Oi cat, those dried mealworms are for the birds, not for you.

« Reply #1680 on: 24 January, 2022, 10:32:25 am »
Description of kitten by cat adoption charity

"She needs a quiet home as she startles easily at loud noises. Initially she will be very shy and hide but over time will become accustomed to you."

Kitten in house

Practices parkour off the furniture, bookshelves, tables.
Decides she wants attention so climbs up human and pokes them in face with paw - regardless of whether human is sat down or walking at the time.
Is making me seriously concerned for the health of the scratching post; she has been here a week, is 5 months old and the post is getting shredded. I've not previously seen a cat go up a scratching post sideways, slashing with all four paws.
"Is startled by loud noises" Not when it is a cascade of books she's shoved off the bookcase she isn't.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1681 on: 24 January, 2022, 10:42:52 am »
She clearly found her home.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1682 on: 24 January, 2022, 12:36:46 pm »
bonkers tortie ;D

« Reply #1683 on: 25 January, 2022, 05:37:51 pm »
Keeping cats hydrated is very important. They are prone to kidney issues.

So MrsC buys cat a water fountain thingy.

Assemble. Fill. Plug in.

Cat is very interested. Wanders over. Pokes fountain.

Goes and drinks from the porcelain bowl that until now she's refused to use.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1684 on: 25 January, 2022, 06:08:37 pm »
So MrsC buys cat a water fountain thingy.

Postman Piers used to have one of those that caused an annoying sympathetic vibration from his rickety bathroom floor.  Not that that bothered him.  Or the cat, who seemed largely indifferent to the thing.

« Reply #1685 on: 26 January, 2022, 01:17:28 pm »
Zeppy has spells of using her water fountain, but prefers to drink from the river, bird water bowls, muddy puddles etc.
But top favorite is a dripping tap - keeps her quiet for at least two minutes.

« Reply #1686 on: 26 January, 2022, 04:44:33 pm »
You know how modern parenting often seems to consist of sticking a tablet in front of a child to shut them up?

I had to resort to doing same with Teh Kitten.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1687 on: 07 February, 2022, 05:21:48 pm »
So, I'm at home alone, gales stop me from going to shops and I'm peckish for snacks. House full of baking ingredients, so I make some peanut butter cookies.

Later that night, the power is out. I'm sat in front of the fire, reading on my phone and slowly eating a large cookie.

I'm not daft enough to put it down, with kitten about.

At one point, I try to move cookie to mouth. It doesn't move. I pull harder. The cookie tugs back.

Peer dimly into the dark.

Other end of cookie, teeth firmly embedded, is the cat.

Little damn sneak!  Good thing these are resilient cookies and don't just crumble.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1688 on: 07 February, 2022, 05:31:17 pm »
 ;D

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1689 on: 07 February, 2022, 06:04:46 pm »
haha

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #1690 on: 07 February, 2022, 11:56:23 pm »
*giggles* That's a brilliant story!

« Reply #1691 on: 08 February, 2022, 11:08:15 am »
Is this all about cats or can dog owners get involved?

Does any dog owner thinks their dog has multiple personalities? My dog is obviously dog like but occasionally she goes full on cat!

OK I've never seen a dog sit,  raise its front leg off, rotate paw to lick it just like a cat! Not until my dog did it. She plays with a ball,  when we ignore her requests to play,  just like a cat.  Patting it away then catching it. She likes to climb up on things and walks high up on walls, she then needs to be lifted down because she's a dog and can't jump down like cats can.

So anyone else have a dog or cat that occasionally behaves like the wrong species?

PS our dog also appears to hold a grudge.  If she wants attention and you're too busy to do so she'll let you know by turning her back on you and won't even look at you. I think that ignoring your existence is more cat than dog  too.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1692 on: 08 February, 2022, 11:45:03 am »
I've seen dogs lick like cats and all the dogs I've known holds a grudge

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1693 on: 08 February, 2022, 05:53:52 pm »
Isn't a dog that thinks its a cat basically a fox?

ian

« Reply #1694 on: 08 February, 2022, 06:06:34 pm »
There was a couple we knew in Sydenham who had a cat that thought it was a dog (it wasn't The Beast of Sydenham). For reasons, she had been adopted when she was a few weeks old and added to a litter of similarly aged puppies, so not unreasonably had no idea she was anything other than a vastly superior dog. It was amazing how much behaviour is nurture.

« Reply #1695 on: 08 February, 2022, 06:47:43 pm »
Isn't a dog that thinks its a cat basically a fox?
I'm worried that you think my dog is a fox.  There's a name for people who have too much interest in animals!  :o :D

Seriously, both dogs and cats can be a bit strange at times in what they do.  Real derps!

I caught ours stood with front paws on windowsill and rear ones on the bed,  quite a stretch for a border terrier. Just so it could luck a recently cleaned window.  Did it for 5 minutes before I stopped it.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1696 on: 08 February, 2022, 07:54:56 pm »
Pumpkin acts quite like a dog at times. She certainly has the appetite and the dinner manners of your average labrador. And when she mooches about in the garden her gait has some of the bulldog about it.

« Reply #1697 on: 08 February, 2022, 08:17:49 pm »
Years ago we adopted a cat who had been raised in a house full of Rottweillers. Unsurprisingly she thought she was a dog and we named her Floss. Worryingly she had been fed dog food rather than cat food. She was probably the most affectionate cat we have ever had, but was always a bit retarded, and I put that down to malnourishment in her developmental years.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1698 on: 08 February, 2022, 08:38:00 pm »
They don't put taurine in dog food, do they?

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1699 on: 08 February, 2022, 08:38:35 pm »
Nope