Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 636910 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #150 on: 18 December, 2009, 02:24:12 am »
Friday's severe weather warning for Essex has been downgraded to orange. That's a bit boring.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #151 on: 18 December, 2009, 02:29:44 am »
Snow melting in back garden.

Pile of winter cycling gear in preparation corner downgraded to usual kit.  Hat has been discarded.  Overshoes moved to "potential".

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #152 on: 18 December, 2009, 06:26:33 am »
I saw about four flakes on the way home last night.  Not a sausage overnight - I think it's stopping at Oxford.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #153 on: 18 December, 2009, 06:41:34 am »
There's been about 4 or 5 cm of snow overnight in Peterborough. And it's just started to snow again now.
a great mind thinks alike

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #154 on: 18 December, 2009, 06:44:10 am »
Stone me but there's even snow on the ground here on the South Coast this morning. Nothing more than the slightest dusting - more like a heavy frost to look, really. But, round here, even that's a mythical sight.

All you who have loads of snow are lucky, lucky bastards.

Re snow & lightening: it happened to me a couple of years back and was extremely bizarre. Never seen or heard anything like that before or since.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #155 on: 18 December, 2009, 07:13:07 am »
A couple of inches of snow here in North Kent. No doubt the whole place will grind to a halt. Though I'm sure the kids will appreciate all the schools being closed. How on earth do the poor people of Scandinavia manage in winter? They must stay indoors all winter, I suppose.  ::-)
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #156 on: 18 December, 2009, 07:18:37 am »
When I reached Victoria Avenue, which at 10.30 p.m. is normally pretty well empty, I was greeted by gridlock because the 1 in 20ish slope up from the park is too much
Just heard on the local radio, BBC Essex, that the junction is still blocked by cars and lorries unable to drive up the slope into Southend. There are lots of people driving along Fairfax to try other ways up. The roads from Fairfax are unlikely to have any grit on them and are mostly single lanes.  ::-)
This is the junction, Clicky, just imagine it with about six inches of snow and still snowing. My back is better so I'm going out in a bit for a quick ride on the brommie and get some of those Nutty points.  :thumbsup:

Chris S

« Reply #157 on: 18 December, 2009, 07:28:51 am »
There were some deep drifts in our lane, but the beet trucks have done a good job of clearing a path through. A car has got stuck in the lane the t'other side of the field.

The teens will be pining - there's no mobile signal!

« Reply #158 on: 18 December, 2009, 07:30:18 am »
Well blow me down with a feather  :o :o :o :o :o :o

Not only has it not melted overnight, more has fallen!   We're up to about 5 inches sitting on the ground  :smug:

Weather forecasters.  Why have you got it right this year when you have disappointed me year after year after year for so long?

Neighbours.  It's still falling.  Why are you already out there with shovels clearing your driveways and building mounds in the roads that will cause obstruction to cyclists and drivers?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #159 on: 18 December, 2009, 07:36:00 am »
I've just measured 6" - which is the most for some years.  8)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #160 on: 18 December, 2009, 07:38:31 am »
Well blow me down with a feather  :o :o :o :o :o :o

Not only has it not melted overnight, more has fallen!   We're up to about 5 inches sitting on the ground  :smug:

Alas, we've only got about an inch here.  :( Guess it makes up for last february when the situation was reversed.

All this week we've been driving because of my ear infection.  :( Looked at the weather today, and decided that we *have* to cycle (not only for the fun, but also to ensure we can get back home in case the roads on the heaths near work snarl up during the day). Only problem is, the MTBs (which would be most fun) have no lights, and we can't guarantee leaving before dusk.

So: road bike with slick tyres and a dynohub it is! :P
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #161 on: 18 December, 2009, 07:40:21 am »
Yep, sure enough all the schools are closed cos no one can possibly leave the house with 2 inches of snow on the ground. And judging by the amount of traffic passing the house, ie. none, most work places will be shut too. Bet Bluewater will be heaving.

Jakob

« Reply #162 on: 18 December, 2009, 07:58:19 am »

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #163 on: 18 December, 2009, 08:17:29 am »
Nothing here, unfortunately - I'm off across the edge of Exmoor this morning - (car, unfortunately) - might be something up on the top.

N
Advena ego sum in Terra

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #164 on: 18 December, 2009, 08:18:01 am »
That's a big 6 inches in Brighton too. And still snowing!!!!!!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #165 on: 18 December, 2009, 08:28:54 am »
How on earth do the poor people of Scandinavia manage in winter? They must stay indoors all winter, I suppose.  ::-)

The Swedes don't do too badly.  The snow is expected; they generally have proper winter tyres and know how to drive on snow and ice.  And most minor roads and just gritted, not salted, so you don't get horrible slush.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #166 on: 18 December, 2009, 08:43:28 am »
Meh!  Rumours of SNOpocalypse appear to have been greatly exaggerated 'twixt E17 and exotic Harlow.  I had a much smoother run into work than usual, due to lack of traffic, and in our bit of the office there are only three people, excluding The Fabulous Mr Fox, who is supposed to be buying us all breakfast this morning >:( 

I can picture skiving gits all across the east of the BRITONS' England:

Quote from: Skiving Git

(Brrring Brrring.  Brrring Brrring)

Hello...  Mr My Boss...  No, sorry, I can't make it in today...  No, I can't even find my car...  Train...  What's that...  No, not here...  Hold on...  (Covers mouthpiece)  What's that noise, darling?  (Removes hand)  Wolves!  Timber wolves!  Timber wolves with chainsaws!  They're trying to get into the porch!  Aieee!  Can't...  Hold out... Much long (Click)

Nikki darling!  Have you still got those panties from our anniversary?

External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #167 on: 18 December, 2009, 08:47:28 am »
Tim has declared himself poorly, so we shall have to drive.

<checks traffic news for our area>

Blimey! I've never seen the congestion this low! Either everyone's stayed at home, or all the reporting sites are broked.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #168 on: 18 December, 2009, 08:48:39 am »
... It's more wintry showers than snow proper, so I suspect it'll mostly melt.

So I was wrong, and it has settled overnight.  I guess the temperature must have dropped a little and the snow got a bit more serious overnight.

Now I've got to decide whether to risk the snow, or bugger around with the tram and disrupted tube lines.  It's not the snow which really worries me, it's the forecast of sub-zero temperatures this evening, which means that anything which is on the ground will freeze rock solid.
Actually, it is rocket science.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #169 on: 18 December, 2009, 08:49:11 am »
Is Wogan still on these days? ICBA to check. Betcha he's saying something along the lines of, " Snow in December? That proves global warming is all baloney".

Sun's just come out. That's nice.

« Reply #170 on: 18 December, 2009, 08:51:00 am »
4" here, but it really takes more than 7" for me to be fully pleasured.

:(

« Reply #171 on: 18 December, 2009, 08:53:05 am »
4" here, but it really takes more than 7" for me to be fully pleasured.
I've got 7" here which I can't take.    :'(

« Reply #172 on: 18 December, 2009, 08:57:56 am »
I'm off out with the kids to play in the snow  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #173 on: 18 December, 2009, 09:14:32 am »
I've just measured 6" - which is the most for some years.  8)

Pleased for you.  The cold weather can sometimes play havoc ;)
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #174 on: 18 December, 2009, 09:15:48 am »
Is Wogan still on these days?

For a scant quarter of an hour more before he retires from the morning slot, yes! ;D

Getting there...