Author Topic: Round The Year Randonneurs Log  (Read 422310 times)

Re: Round The Year Randonneurs Log
« Reply #750 on: 11 September, 2012, 03:05:13 pm »
I hate to admit it but ... Subject to validation

Yes, just let me know when that September event hits the results page.  I'm glad to see you back on the treadmill, after your enforced break.

Not a problem,  I do think that this a great challange that gets me out during the winter months.  That is the main reason I do it.

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #751 on: 11 September, 2012, 07:27:13 pm »
Interesting to see that many RRTY riders 'limit' themselves to dayrides. And a few real die-hard riders. It looks to me that mere mortals who do a full SR series and possibly an RM event have a lot less chance to complete a RRTY than the other two groups. I know that I've tried but failed due to a number of DNF's on longer rides in the summer.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #752 on: 11 September, 2012, 08:35:48 pm »
Not necessarily. HK has been known to ride 1200+km brevets at 2 week intervals. I tend to fling in a 200 or suchlike during the same month as a long brevet as the little ride keeps the bum toned up for the longer ride. The main thing is to not get injured.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #753 on: 11 September, 2012, 09:13:09 pm »
Not necessarily. HK has been known to ride 1200+km brevets at 2 week intervals. I tend to fling in a 200 or suchlike during the same month as a long brevet as the little ride keeps the bum toned up for the longer ride. The main thing is to not get injured.

HK I regard as one of the die-hard riders, not a mere mortal ;).
After packing the 1000 borders of Belgium (spoke troubles) in may I did the Tournai 600, packed due to stomach problems. That was 2 weekends lost and no chance anymore to squeeze in anything else.

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #754 on: 11 September, 2012, 09:16:05 pm »
My first proper season began as a RRTY bid.
It became a RRTY X 2 bid with the added challenge of an SR series.
DNS'd two 600's. (good reasons)
Hoping to complete my first 600 next weekend.  ;D

Oct -  Gower Getter 203km (My first 200)
Nov - Transporter 200 202km
Dece - Monmouthshire Meander 204

2012 I began riding two events a month.

Jan - Mr Pickwicks January Sale 201 (rude not to for just a quid!)
         Dr Fosters Winter Warmer 201
Feb - Northwest Passage 200 (broken spoke, buckled wheel, broken front light.)
         Kennet Valley Run 207
Mar - DIY Perm 200
         Barry's Bristol Ball Buster 212km
April - Carmarthenshire Snapper202
          Cambrian Series 2C Perm 200
May - Sea + Levels 200 Perm
          Honiton Old Roads 300
June - Hereford Towns 210
           Avalon Sunrise 407
July - Mr Pickwick Takes Flight 206
         DIY 200 (awaiting validation)
August - Dr Fosters Summer Saunter 201
              Gospel Pass 200 Perm
Sep - New Forest Off + On Shore 202

"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

« Reply #755 on: 12 September, 2012, 05:58:53 am »
Congrats Bairdy, and all the best for the 600!

« Reply #756 on: 12 September, 2012, 09:02:09 am »
I'm also hoping my first season will be a RRTY and SR. 1 month to go for the RRTY and *just* a 600 this weekend for the SR.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #757 on: 12 September, 2012, 10:02:39 am »
Ivo said
mere mortals who do a full SR series and possibly an RM event have a lot less chance to complete a RRTY than
That's "a lot less chance". So you saying "not necessarily" doesn't add anything. Nor does the example of 1 rider.

So I agree with Ivo. :thumbsup:

Using very long rides makes failures far more likely, and increases the chances of injury problems.
(It also reduces your 'free days' (from work or woddeva) to use for backup rides.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mikewigley

« Reply #758 on: 12 September, 2012, 10:23:40 am »
It looks to me that mere mortals who do a full SR series and possibly an RM event have a lot less chance to complete a RRTY

The RRTY is very often used by riders who can only aspire to riding 200s but never believe they can tackle the longer riders, and is the next challenge up from Randonneur and a Brevet 1000 but not yet ready for the Randonneur 1000 (which needs a 300).  Certainly that was the case with me, but the very act of completing an RRTY lead directly to my thinking that perhaps a 300, and subsequently an SR, just might be possible.

A big part of the RRTY challenge isn't riding the bike, it's handling the logistics.

« Reply #759 on: 12 September, 2012, 10:43:58 am »
logistics - is that a posh word for weather?

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #760 on: 12 September, 2012, 12:26:17 pm »
Logistics: weather, family, work n stuff innit.

This is the 1st year that my knees have managed to keep working through the winter  :)
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
« Reply #761 on: 12 September, 2012, 01:15:04 pm »
This is the 1st year that my knees have managed to keep working through the winter  :)

Or indeed, your alarm clock     :thumbsup:

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #762 on: 12 September, 2012, 01:43:54 pm »

Thanks Mr H.
I don't think I've seen you since the Snapper. I see from the results sheet you've been busy though.  :thumbsup:
              Up to my neck in pain"

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #763 on: 12 September, 2012, 01:50:20 pm »
Ivo said
mere mortals who do a full SR series and possibly an RM event have a lot less chance to complete a RRTY than
That's "a lot less chance". So you saying "not necessarily" doesn't add anything. Nor does the example of 1 rider.

So I agree with Ivo. :thumbsup:

Using very long rides makes failures far more likely, and increases the chances of injury problems.
(It also reduces your 'free days' (from work or woddeva) to use for backup rides.)

OK, another data point. I did 2 x RRTY in 2011, despite completing 3 x 1200 brevets. You've ridden with me and you know that I am nothing special as a cyclist. The main problem I had was not feeling particularly chirpy at any point during the year. I was just generally tired during most brevets.

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #764 on: 12 September, 2012, 01:58:28 pm »
We ride for different reasons and all have different restraints with regards to work and family etc.
Some people may really struggle to find the time to complete an RRTY purely from riding 200's.
To suggest they're limiting themselves is a bit unfair.
              Up to my neck in pain"

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #765 on: 12 September, 2012, 05:11:11 pm »

Or indeed, your alarm clock     :thumbsup:

:-[  ;D
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #766 on: 12 September, 2012, 05:29:06 pm »
Made my list :)

Nov- Upper Thames 200, Mr. Pickwick's Cyrch Cymru, BILLINGSHURST, W Sussex 200
Dec- South Bucks Winter Warmer, HAILSHAM, E Sussex 200
Jan- Poor Student, An anoraks delight 200, Willy Warmer 200
Feb- Bedford Bumble
Mar- GREAT KINGSHILL, High Wycombe 206, DENMEAD 202, The Dean 300
Apr-  3 Down 300, New Forest 200
May- PEASE POTTAGE, W Sussex 200, ELSTEAD, Godalming 201
Jun- DIY PERMANENT SERIES (south east organiser) 200
Jul- DENMEAD 206
Aug- Middle Road 400, Hailsham - Liss perm 212
Sep- New Forest on & Off Shore PEASE POTTAGE, W Sussex 200

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #767 on: 12 September, 2012, 05:32:29 pm »
Oh so close to the Double, LC! Target for next season, perhaps?

(I've never known LWAB admit he's wrong on anything, so I shan't bother explaining probability to him here ...  :P )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #768 on: 12 September, 2012, 05:34:37 pm »
What's that even mean?! What's a double?!

« Reply #769 on: 12 September, 2012, 05:35:22 pm »
Oh, 2 a month I guess?!

Not possible this time- did the June one by skin of teeth on last day when foot came out of plaster (just). Maybe next year :)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #770 on: 12 September, 2012, 06:51:43 pm »
mattc, plenty of people have proved me wrong previously and I've been proved right plenty of times, same as everybody. You just haven't known me long enough or haven't had enough proof.

« Reply #771 on: 13 September, 2012, 08:48:49 am »

Thanks Mr H.
I don't think I've seen you since the Snapper. I see from the results sheet you've been busy though.  :thumbsup:

Hoping to see you again before too long!
I'm still trying to be busy with the riding, but other stuff does get in the way, and then motivation can evaporate - at the moment it has.

Only a couple of rides of more than a 200, in spite of much greater intentions. (A DIY 600 this weekend looks unlikely)(couldn't fit in getting to MK and back for the excellent TG's one). So this quote from LWAB, about an impressive year's riding, encourages me a lot:
The main problem I had was not feeling particularly chirpy at any point during the year. I was just generally tired during most brevets.
It's sometimes easy to get the impression that everyone else just breezes round on clouds of euphoria! Thanks (again).

« Reply #772 on: 13 September, 2012, 04:58:18 pm »
[ So this quote from LWAB, about an impressive year's riding, encourages me a lot:
The main problem I had was not feeling particularly chirpy at any point during the year. I was just generally tired during most brevets.
It's sometimes easy to get the impression that everyone else just breezes round on clouds of euphoria! Thanks (again).
[/quote]

No that is usually 2/3 days after the last ride.
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #773 on: 13 September, 2012, 05:25:45 pm »

Thanks Mr H.

Hoping to see you again before too long!
I'm still trying to be busy with the riding, but other stuff does get in the way, and then motivation can evaporate - at the moment it has.

Only a couple of rides of more than a 200, in spite of much greater intentions. (A DIY 600 this weekend looks unlikely)(couldn't fit in getting to MK and back for the excellent TG's one). So this quote from LWAB, about an impressive year's riding, encourages me a lot:

You do a lot of DIY's. Alone?
I find riding alone harder and of all my rides this season only one has been solo.
If you fancy doing a perm or DIY with company sometime give me a shout.
If you can get to MK tomorrow night I can get you back home on the Monday for Midday.
I'm up North today and will be driving to MK tomorrow.
              Up to my neck in pain"

« Reply #774 on: 13 September, 2012, 06:50:41 pm »
If you can get to MK tomorrow night I can get you back home on the Monday for Midday.
I'm up North today and will be driving to MK tomorrow.

Thanks Bairdy, a great offer... and inspiring although I can't take it up (I've responded to your pm).

You do a lot of DIY's. Alone?
I find riding alone harder and of all my rides this season only one has been solo.
If you fancy doing a perm or DIY with company sometime give me a shout.

I'll keep in touch about company on perms/DIYs. Company certainly helps. My slow climbing is not ideal for potential companions though, eg everyone was out of sight while I made my way up Ashton Park after a mile or so of the Ball Buster! Was pleased to finish in daylight this year though.