Author Topic: Round The Year Randonneurs Log  (Read 426683 times)

Re: Round The Year Randonneurs Log
« Reply #825 on: 19 November, 2012, 10:49:41 am »
March - Up the Uts 200  :thumbsup:
April - Green & Yellow Fields 300  :thumbsup:
May - DIY 200  :thumbsup:
June - Herts High Five  200  :thumbsup:
July - Garboldisham Groveller 200  :thumbsup:
August - Rutland Ramble 200  :thumbsup:
Sept - Cambridge 200  :thumbsup:
Oct - Silly Suffolk 200
Oct - Bleak 200 DIY ride in the Fens  :thumbsup:
Nov - DIY  200 :thumbsup:
Dec - DIY 200
Jan - DIY 200
Feb - Burford Bumble 200

Took advantage of a nice sunny Sunday to get this month's ride in. Did not enjoy the tail end too much riding country lanes in the dark with a frost setting in. Changed my mind about doing calendar events for Dec & Jan Its nice not to have to travel after what for me is a hard ride and just have a long soak in a hot bath instead. An early start is also preferable in the winter months,

« Reply #826 on: 25 November, 2012, 09:57:34 pm »
Just done Tom Fox,s perm version of Rosies to Wrags with Young Sam as pace maker and wind break.

That's my RRTY done  :thumbsup:

Couldn't believe how much water was lying around......had to ride through numerous flooded bits of road.

Was blasted out Wragby by the wind :thumbsup: but paid the price as we turned for home.Came across Bardney straight at a very painfull 16kph.After Newark the wind dropped of slightly but the damage had been done :'(

To cap it off I got a puncture/flat a mile from home in my brand new durano plus front tyre :facepalm:

dave
We're supposed to be feeding them not fatting them........quote from chef on LEL

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #827 on: 25 November, 2012, 10:21:17 pm »
Monmouthshire Meander on Saturday 1st December for my x 2 RRTY.  ;D
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

Chris S

« Reply #828 on: 25 November, 2012, 10:26:51 pm »
December will be 72 consecutive months for me. Saturday 1st looks like it might be icy.

* bides time *

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #829 on: 25 November, 2012, 10:55:53 pm »
Just done Tom Fox,s perm version of Rosies to Wrags with Young Sam as pace maker and wind break.

That's my RRTY done  :thumbsup:

Congrats mate  :thumbsup:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Martin

« Reply #830 on: 01 December, 2012, 11:39:36 pm »
2006      :thumbsup:         
2007      :thumbsup:     
2008        :thumbsup: 
2009         :'(   crashed and burned after 10 months
2010         :thumbsup:
2011  X5       :thumbsup:       

29.1.12 Tea and Biscuits 100 + ECE 100   
11.2.12 Worthing Winter Warmer 100 + ECE 100
3.3.12 Gospel Pass 150 + ECE 50
7.4.12 Double Dutch 200
12.5.12 Severn Across 400
2.6.12 Man of Kent 200 perm
1.7.12 Fairies Fairly Flat 150+50 ECE
3.8.12 Purley -Epsom - Lincoln - Fens - Purley DIY 600
8.9.12 Around Weald DIY 200
7.10.12 Hengists Hills 100+100 ECE
3.11.12 Upper Thames 200
1.12.12 Man of Kent 200 perm

2012  :thumbsup:

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #831 on: 02 December, 2012, 09:13:43 am »
Well done Martin!

We are into the tougher RRtY months for sure now. Pleased to have got December ticked off already.

Year 3 month 3 done.

Oct 2012 - Olympic Hillier ECE'd to 200k
Nov 2012 - UpperThames 200
Dec 2012 - South Bucks Winter Warmer 200

I think I have Jan covered with the Poor Student and Willy Warmer as good options. February is always tricky - there are few events in reality, so have always relied on perms in the past. I am quite keen on trying to run this RRtY on events only - so may look at ECEing on a 100 that month if I can make it work.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #832 on: 02 December, 2012, 08:58:01 pm »
March - Up the Uts 200  :thumbsup:
April - Green & Yellow Fields 300  :thumbsup:
May - DIY 200  :thumbsup:
June - Herts High Five  200  :thumbsup:
July - Garboldisham Groveller 200  :thumbsup:
August - Rutland Ramble 200  :thumbsup:
Sept - Cambridge 200  :thumbsup:
Oct - Bleak 200 DIY ride in the Fens  :thumbsup:
Nov - A 4 county DIY  200 :thumbsup:
Dec - A very cold loop out to Eye DIY 200  :thumbsup:
Jan - DIY 200
Feb - Burford Bumble 200

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #833 on: 02 December, 2012, 10:02:04 pm »
RRTY x 2 completed today with a cold Severn & Estuary Perm subject to validation of course
              Up to my neck in pain"

« Reply #834 on: 02 December, 2012, 10:11:42 pm »
February is always tricky - there are few events in reality, so have always relied on perms in the past. I am quite keen on trying to run this RRtY on events only - so may look at ECEing on a 100 that month if I can make it work.
Burford Bumble 10th Feb. Fast, flat, main road-y so OK in crap weather.
An hour (ish) from St Pancras, but as it's a Sunday, there's bus replacement  :facepalm:

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #835 on: 02 December, 2012, 10:14:42 pm »
February is always tricky - there are few events in reality, so have always relied on perms in the past. I am quite keen on trying to run this RRtY on events only - so may look at ECEing on a 100 that month if I can make it work.
An hour (ish) from St Pancras, but as it's a Sunday, there's bus replacement  :facepalm:

Feb 10th my 40th birthday  :)
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #836 on: 02 December, 2012, 10:17:36 pm »

It's there as a possible, and I had intended to ride it - but with the bus replacement, I'd have to ride to North London somewhere to get the train.  It may well be a bit too much of a faff.  We'll see.  There's a couple of options to ECE something.

I could even ECE a 50K event http://aukweb.net/events/detail/13-913/ as it's about 160km round trip.  Hmmm.  Sort of makes it an event ride......
Right! What's next?

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #837 on: 09 December, 2012, 12:21:26 am »
I suppose that was a reminder that these rides do not always fall neatly to a formula and you cannot take the points for granted.

Mark’s Knights 200 from Tewkesbury was easy last year and I loaded that ride’s gps track into my Garmin as I did not have a Routesheet (late Entry) when I prepared for an early night. I made the early 0730 start, where most had opted for an 0800. Starting on lights would maximise daylight. Roads were damp but just warm enough to stay wet rather than icy. The day was warming and the sun shining and no wind; could not have been much better and the Bromyard Control stop reinforced the pleasure of the ride. The road to Tenbury is one of my favourites, either way, and today did not disappoint. The laney route to Ludlow suggested the lanes were mucky. But the rolling route had interest, so bonus. After soup in Ludlow, the real climbing began with a climb through Mortimer Forest.

And then my world fell apart!! At 90km, on a nice descent, hissing brought on a rear flat. Out with tube and no trace of initiation in the tyre. Uhmm? Off with the tyre and re-check. Tyre OK. Check wheel. Rim tape showing hole into a spoke slot. Initiation confirmed by matching big hole in tube. So, emergency repair with a strip of cardboard and assemble with replacement tube. Shortly into the restart, it is flattening. S**t. Re-pumping discovers valve insert loose; so finger tighten, re-inflate and hope for the best. Minutes later, wobbly rear, so I need to find pliers to tighten valve. Meanwhile, I just re-inflate every 5mins/2km or so. This inconvenience also coincided with the hilliest climbing and mucky lanes, so my morale was going lower as time was lost to pumping. And then, a road closure turned into a Cyclo-Cross as a bridge had been taken out and all had to carry across the river on builders walkway and rough muddy ground. Eventually, 12kms and about 5 pump stops, made Presteigne (Control); seems dead in the afternoon, so no joy. So to Kington 10km and 4 stops. Fellow rider (?) lent me some small snips which seemed to tighten a little. Leaving Kington, a Hardware store had some pliers, which tightened the valve further. Hope??

Result! Tyre staying inflated, so correct decision not to fit (last) spare vindicated. I had been 15mins out of time arriving in Kington and had feared a sad DNF, or at least to fit the last spare in Kington. Now, I was motoring again. After a dusk stop to done warmer night gear and a nibble, as I was leaving Steve Abrahams comes along; what a relief; a fast pace and gps track sees the 20km to the final control within the hour. By now I am on Gospel Pass 200 routing, so feel quite at home. In the Marcle Ridge area I catch up with Mary Doyle, stopped on a hill, having fluffed a gears change. I help a restart and share the road back to Tewkesbury with Mary. This reassures Mary, as she is using the Routesheet, whereas I have local knowledge + gps.

I later reflected on the wheel, a Campag Vento 8s, circa mid-90s. I had ridden this wheel on PBP and this year’s 600, so for the rim tape to fail now made me reflect on what might have been

What a way to round off Year 16 RRTY.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #838 on: 09 December, 2012, 01:46:39 am »
I suppose that was a reminder that these rides do not always fall neatly to a formula and you cannot take the points for granted.

Mark’s Knights 200 from Tewkesbury was easy last year and I loaded that ride’s gps track into my Garmin as I did not have a Routesheet (late Entry) when I prepared for an early night. I made the early 0730 start, where most had opted for an 0800. Starting on lights would maximise daylight. Roads were damp but just warm enough to stay wet rather than icy. The day was warming and the sun shining and no wind; could not have been much better and the Bromyard Control stop reinforced the pleasure of the ride. The road to Tenbury is one of my favourites, either way, and today did not disappoint. The laney route to Ludlow suggested the lanes were mucky. But the rolling route had interest, so bonus. After soup in Ludlow, the real climbing began with a climb through Mortimer Forest.

And then my world fell apart!! At 90km, on a nice descent, hissing brought on a rear flat. Out with tube and no trace of initiation in the tyre. Uhmm? Off with the tyre and re-check. Tyre OK. Check wheel. Rim tape showing hole into a spoke slot. Initiation confirmed by matching big hole in tube. So, emergency repair with a strip of cardboard and assemble with replacement tube. Shortly into the restart, it is flattening. S**t. Re-pumping discovers valve insert loose; so finger tighten, re-inflate and hope for the best. Minutes later, wobbly rear, so I need to find pliers to tighten valve. Meanwhile, I just re-inflate every 5mins/2km or so. This inconvenience also coincided with the hilliest climbing and mucky lanes, so my morale was going lower as time was lost to pumping. And then, a road closure turned into a Cyclo-Cross as a bridge had been taken out and all had to carry across the river on builders walkway and rough muddy ground. Eventually, 12kms and about 5 pump stops, made Presteigne (Control); seems dead in the afternoon, so no joy. So to Kington 10km and 4 stops. Fellow rider (?) lent me some small snips which seemed to tighten a little. Leaving Kington, a Hardware store had some pliers, which tightened the valve further. Hope??

Result! Tyre staying inflated, so correct decision not to fit (last) spare vindicated. I had been 15mins out of time arriving in Kington and had feared a sad DNF, or at least to fit the last spare in Kington. Now, I was motoring again. After a dusk stop to done warmer night gear and a nibble, as I was leaving Steve Abrahams comes along; what a relief; a fast pace and gps track sees the 20km to the final control within the hour. By now I am on Gospel Pass 200 routing, so feel quite at home. In the Marcle Ridge area I catch up with Mary Doyle, stopped on a hill, having fluffed a gears change. I help a restart and share the road back to Tewkesbury with Mary. This reassures Mary, as she is using the Routesheet, whereas I have local knowledge + gps.

I later reflected on the wheel, a Campag Vento 8s, circa mid-90s. I had ridden this wheel on PBP and this year’s 600, so for the rim tape to fail now made me reflect on what might have been

What a way to round off Year 16 RRTY.
I was a DNS. Due to a bug, felt O.K ish later on today and was glad you got good weather.
But gutted I missed out on the fun. Quite a few Bristol riders out there today. :thumbsup:
Coming across Steve A after so many delays I can only asume he was riding a different ride?
              Up to my neck in pain"

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #839 on: 09 December, 2012, 07:59:28 am »
2004       :thumbsup:
2005       :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
2006       :thumbsup:
2007       :thumbsup:
2008       :thumbsup:
2009       Injury stopped play after only two months.  :hand:
2010       :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
2011       :thumbsup:

Jan12   Poor Student            :thumbsup:                     
Feb12   Burford Bumble        :thumbsup:
Mar12   Cheltenham Flyer     :thumbsup:
Apr12    Double Dutch          :thumbsup:
May 12  Chevy Chase           :thumbsup:
Jun 12  Tour of the Moors     :thumbsup:
Jul 12  Barbury Bash             :thumbsup:
Aug 12  Over the Severn       :thumbsup:
Sep 12  Up the Downs          :thumbsup:
Oct 12   Barmouth Boulevard  :thumbsup:
Nov 12   Cyrch Cymru           :thumbsup:
Dec 12  Kings Castles etc      :thumbsup:

Yet again near-perfect weather if a little chilly (what do we expect in December?).  Great ride!

So that's it.  RRTY number 10 complete.  And entirely on calendar events this year. 

I'm stopping now.  Rumours that I have entered Poor Student, and am planning a group ride of Marlborough Connection in February are just that - malicious rumours unfortunately completely true.  I just couldn't help myself  ::-)

Massive congratulations for completing number 10.

An astonishing acheivement all in all and your comments about being unable to step off the treadmill even after this are, frankly, concerning!

Well done indeed!
Right! What's next?

« Reply #840 on: 09 December, 2012, 08:27:16 am »
2004       :thumbsup:
2005       :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
2006       :thumbsup:
2007       :thumbsup:
2008       :thumbsup:
2009       Injury stopped play after only two months.  :hand:
2010       :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
2011       :thumbsup:

Jan12   Poor Student            :thumbsup:                     
Feb12   Burford Bumble        :thumbsup:
Mar12   Cheltenham Flyer     :thumbsup:
Apr12    Double Dutch          :thumbsup:
May 12  Chevy Chase           :thumbsup:
Jun 12  Tour of the Moors     :thumbsup:
Jul 12  Barbury Bash             :thumbsup:
Aug 12  Over the Severn       :thumbsup:
Sep 12  Up the Downs          :thumbsup:
Oct 12   Barmouth Boulevard  :thumbsup:
Nov 12   Cyrch Cymru           :thumbsup:
Dec 12  Kings Castles etc      :thumbsup:

Yet again near-perfect weather if a little chilly (what do we expect in December?).  Great ride!

So that's it.  RRTY number 10 complete.  And entirely on calendar events this year. 

I'm stopping now.  Rumours that I have entered Poor Student, and am planning a group ride of Marlborough Connection in February are just that - malicious rumours unfortunately completely true.  I just couldn't help myself  ::-)

Congratulations

The only way off the treadmill  I have found is injury   :-[ and even that is only partially sucessful.

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #841 on: 09 December, 2012, 09:50:22 am »
Half way there

Jul 2012 - Reservoir Triple  :thumbsup:
Aug 2012 - Two Battles Perm  :thumbsup:
Sep 2012 - Dambusters  :thumbsup:
Oct 2012 - Mr Pickwick's Autumnal Outing  :thumbsup:
Nov 2012 -  Upper Thames  :thumbsup:
Dec 2012 - Two Battles Perm  :thumbsup: (stv)

Jan's going to be difficult being away most of the month, might have to be Two Battles again  :)

« Reply #842 on: 09 December, 2012, 10:17:05 am »
So that's it.  RRTY number 10 complete. 

Congratulations

The only way off the treadmill  I have found is injury   :-[ and even that is only partially sucessful.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff (and Marcus).  I've tried the "injury-skive" when I broke my pelvis in 2008.  Only temporary relief.  No backbone, you see.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #843 on: 09 December, 2012, 02:41:46 pm »

And then the Cheltenham Flyer 200 in March, with the revised finish up the Whiteway. No, if you have a love of Audax, it is worth staying on the treadmill.

Injury is the worst reason for jumping off. My time out in Yr2000 (fell on Black ice), resulting in a Left Hip Replacement, made me appreciate the value of staying upright, though I have had several wipe-outs since.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

« Reply #844 on: 09 December, 2012, 07:42:34 pm »
Well done, Chris.

Obviously, a lot of us passing milestones this month.

Ho, ho!

Actually, I passed loads on a ride yesterday.  We still seem to have a lot up here, the old kind, I mean, stuck in the verges or incorporated in walls.  Lots down south?

« Reply #845 on: 09 December, 2012, 07:52:02 pm »
Well done Chris, much better to pass milestones than gallstones  :o

« Reply #846 on: 09 December, 2012, 08:50:13 pm »
2010  :thumbsup:
2011  :thumbsup:
2012  :'( My world ended in April

June 2012 National 400
July 2012 Cambrian 600
Aug 2012 Bog Standard 500
Sep 2012 On/Off Shore 200
Oct 2012  Silly Suffolk 200
Nov 2012 Upper Thames 200
Dec 2012 DIY 200

It's just not as impressive as these folks with multiple years, is it?

« Reply #847 on: 09 December, 2012, 08:54:10 pm »
Haway, pet, yev deun a 400, 500, 600 already this year - that impresses me!

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #848 on: 10 December, 2012, 10:14:42 am »
It's just not as impressive as these folks with multiple years, is it?
I can underwhelm that.

Sept 2012 - El Supremo Hailsham-Folkestone 200k perm.
Oct 2012   - El Supremo Hailsham-Folkestone 200k perm.
Nov  2012 - El Supremo Hailsham-Folkestone 200k perm.
Dec 2012 -  ECE by 100k El Supremo's Hailsham-Rye 100k.

I'm getting to know the way to Hailsham pretty well. :facepalm:
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

mikewigley

« Reply #849 on: 10 December, 2012, 08:12:23 pm »
Well, I managed to spot a break in the weather so managed my December ride yesterday to get me to 11 months of my current RRTY attempt.  My previous run failed on one of JP's excellent Broken Wrist Cross rides.

The deadline for entries into the roll of honour in the 2013 Handbook is the end of December, so send me an email or a PM if you think the list at www.PeakAudax.co.uk isn't up-to-date