Author Topic: Round The Year Randonneurs Log  (Read 422321 times)

Chris S

Re: Round The Year Randonneurs Log
« Reply #125 on: 19 December, 2009, 10:14:48 am »
It's a terrible thing this RRTY.  I've got a number of riders desperate to ride tomorrow's Winter Solstice 200, just to get a december ride completed, and it really isn't going to be a good cycling day.  My riders can instead do the Holt Perm but I don't think it's due to get much warmer until the New Year.

Fortunately (you will be pleased to know) I got my own December BR in the bag a fortnight ago, so only Jan and Feb to go now.

Wow - I'd be really really nervous now if I hadn't got a 200 in the bag for December. Cycling 200km is pretty much impossible round here now - with 20cm of lying snow, even the (supposedly gritted) B-roads are restricted to two slushy tyre grooves in each direction. The back roads have deep snow, with two grooves of compacted snow, polished nicely by tyres.

I wouldn't want to bet a collar bone on getting a 200 in before the end of the month...

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #126 on: 19 December, 2009, 10:40:21 am »
I didn't ride a planned 200 today due to the conditions, which sound similar to those described by Chris S.  Realised on Thursday it was unlikely to happen and yesterday lunchtime that it wouldn't.  Better to admit defeat than to wind up nursing an injury.

The lesson for RRTY'rs is to do an early December 200 if possible (likewise January) to give you more flexibility.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #127 on: 19 December, 2009, 01:01:54 pm »
Having been away for the first couple of weeks of December its just occurred to me that I have 12 days left. Its going to be a cold one...

« Reply #128 on: 19 December, 2009, 02:51:58 pm »
I feel quite smug that I bagged my December randos in the first half of this week.

simonp

« Reply #129 on: 19 December, 2009, 03:21:35 pm »
Collar bone, hip, pelvis, brain.  All worth more than RRTY.

« Reply #130 on: 19 December, 2009, 03:40:22 pm »

:thumbsup:

« Reply #131 on: 19 December, 2009, 08:58:44 pm »
It been a hard 1st year in audax, with  a number of failed attempts at an SR but i've done a RRTY :thumbsup::
January: Dr Fosters Winter Warmer 200
February: Malmsbury Mash 200
March: Making Hay 200
April: Carmarthen Bay/Estuary Welsh 200
May: Getting Gowered DIY 200
June: Brecon 200 DIY 200
July: Teifi Traveller 400
August: Dr.Foster's Summer Saunter 200 & Up the Estuary DIY 200
September: Ferryside Fish Foray 200
October: Gower Getter 200
November: Transporter 200
December: Brecon 200 DIY 200

SR is next goal

mikewigley

« Reply #132 on: 19 December, 2009, 09:04:06 pm »
It been a hard 1st year in audax, with  a number of failed attempts at an SR but i've done a RRTY :thumbsup::

Well done!  You've just time to let me have your brevet validation number when you get your brevet card back and I'll include you in the RRTY roll of honour in the next Handbook

Mike

mikewigley

« Reply #133 on: 20 December, 2009, 08:37:42 am »

Winter Solstice running today with snow covered roads, and fresh snow currently falling.  I tried to persuade everyone not to ride by offering to run it again in January,  or the offer of a free Perm ride, but the call of the RRTY was too powerful for some.  A couple of riders had made come up by train and booked accommodation for the weekend, but they could have gone shopping or seen a film, or got drunk, or anything

Entries:  58 
DNS: 53 (4 others turned up and decided not to ride)
DNF: ?

The shorter ride (I'm dreaming of a Whitegate Christmas 120) has nothing at stake other than the aforementioned catalogue of breakages

Entries:  41
DNS: 41

« Reply #134 on: 20 December, 2009, 08:50:42 am »

Winter Solstice running today with snow covered roads, and fresh snow currently falling.  I tried to persuade everyone not to ride by offering to run it again in January,  or the offer of a free Perm ride, but the call of the RRTY was too powerful for some.  A couple of riders had made come up by train and booked accommodation for the weekend, but they could have gone shopping or seen a film, or got drunk, or anything

I'm quite relieved that I made the sensible and correct decision then. I had planned to leave Stourbridge to cycle there overnight on an ECE400. It was snowing hard at 2130 last night and it was an easy decision to just cycle the 17 miles home. In hindsight I should not have even done that and should have taken the trains. It was a relief to make it back through the door in one piece.

Bang goes my SRRTY campaign on month 4. TBH I am mightily relieved not to have to bother now.

Good luck to the hardy few who started. I really hope they make it around safely.

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #135 on: 20 December, 2009, 09:04:59 am »
aaaarrrrrgggghhhh.

Family commitments followed by flu put my rides for December at the end of the month, I've just abandoned (can you do that if you don't even start?) my 200 from Sidmouth to Cardiff, it was treacherous enough going out for a road reccy on foot.

So my 1 x RTYR now rests entirely on thursdays 200 and the 2x would mean fitting something in between boxing day and new years . . .  >:(

« Reply #136 on: 20 December, 2009, 10:22:42 am »
aaaarrrrrgggghhhh......the 2x would mean fitting something in between boxing day and new years . . .  >:(

I finished my 2007 RRTY with a last gasp DIY 200 on 30th Dec being paced round by Chris N on a crap day feeling rubbish. Good luck! With the current forecast I would plan on back to back 200s 30th and 31st.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #137 on: 20 December, 2009, 11:02:48 am »
I wish I was out today for a 200km main road bash. Blue skies. No wind. Only mildy brass monkeys. Good as it gets really.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #138 on: 20 December, 2009, 12:18:12 pm »

I had planned to leave Stourbridge.  Bang goes my SRRTY campaign on month 4.
Good luck to the hardy few who started. I really hope they make it around safely.

[/quote]

Managed to keep RRTY No 11 alive yesterday with my 12th running (mini-RRTY) of my Thames & Avon 200 Perm.  -5deg to start but it did warm up to 0deg and the roads were dry black top, though I used Trike and the odd main road diversion just in case.  So I can now relax till a warm patch in Jan.

I have a Perm over Clee Hill which passes through Stourport and Bewdley, so that could be useful as a Dec RRTY.  Mainly good roads, so not bad for (non-icy) winter's day; check out a routesheet.

SteveP
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

« Reply #139 on: 20 December, 2009, 01:14:06 pm »
Hi Steve

I had hoped to do your Old Clee Hill Flyer today for my December RRTY. Early this morning the lanes here were full of frozen snow so I decided against it. I particulary like this ride and have used it as a winter perm for the last couple of years. Previously I've gone anticlockwise but will go the other way round if I can find an available day with good weather before the end of the year!

Richard

Martin

« Reply #140 on: 20 December, 2009, 08:02:16 pm »
I had planned to leave Stourbridge to cycle there overnight on an ECE400

bad luck that makes the first non- ECE; I'll not wait for your card before sending off a job lot inc last weekend's Mince Pies (which Peter Mennicke just finished on time as a 300) to JW

Tigers Taxi

« Reply #141 on: 20 December, 2009, 08:17:29 pm »

The shorter ride (I'm dreaming of a Whitegate Christmas 120) has nothing at stake other than the aforementioned catalogue of breakages

Entries:  41
DNS: 41

I walked quite alot of the last 3 miles due to the compressed  nature of the slush. A car with a horrible smelling clutch on the last climb before Bredbury, to give you a clue. still managed to finish by 18:15. Also saw Daniel Webb  @ Ravens at Prees Heath on a DIY 200.

Andy S

DanialW

« Reply #142 on: 20 December, 2009, 08:38:02 pm »
by the time we all met up in the raven, it was actually rather nice outside.

It was worth the 35km of sleet and slush I had to plough through to get through Manchester.

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
« Reply #143 on: 20 December, 2009, 09:36:02 pm »

I walked quite alot of the last 3 miles due to the compressed  nature of the slush. A car with a horrible smelling clutch on the last climb before Bredbury, to give you a clue. still managed to finish by 18:15. Also saw Daniel Webb  @ Ravens at Prees Heath on a DIY 200.

Andy S

Yourself and Mr Webb both need (a lot) of therapy. Hopefully not of the orthopaedic type after today's weather.

For the first time ever, common sense prevailed, and I stayed in bed. Well done both (even if you are a bit bonkers)

marcus

« Reply #144 on: 20 December, 2009, 09:43:25 pm »
I was one of the foolhardy 4 who rode the Winter Solstice today. Really not too bad apart from the last 30 km back to Stockport. I could really have done without hitting a pothole, falling off and discovering I had a puncture.

I made it back just after 19.00 together with Tim (don't know surname). Like Andy we had to walk some of the last few km.

unik

« Reply #145 on: 21 December, 2009, 07:36:36 pm »
Despite sliding down a hill on my arse with one leg still attached to the bike, the Winter Solstice was a great ride.
Andy lead me along the main roads for the first half, avoiding the worst of the slush, although I did suffer a little bit of dehydration because my water bottle had frozen.

At Nantwich, hepped up on brown sauce from the Raven, I decided to try and redeem my status as a terrible wheel sucker only to speed off in the wrong direction. Luckily my gps managed to latch me onto another back wheel as I met up with Marcus shortly before Middlewich.

It was great to meet Danial at the Raven, and thanks to Andy and Marcus for guiding me safely through the slush!

DanialW

« Reply #146 on: 21 December, 2009, 10:30:27 pm »
I'd forgotten about the brown sauce calamity!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #147 on: 22 December, 2009, 12:43:39 pm »
Despite sliding down a hill on my arse with one leg still attached to the bike, the Winter Solstice was a great ride.

That sounds horribly familiar.  Descending Noah's Ark Lane on the 2007 edition I knew I was going to fall off, so unclipped my right foot and crept along at 0.01 mph.

And went down on my left side, still strapped into a burning bike.  0.1 seconds later Garry Broad did the same, narrowly avoiding inserting one of his pedals into my ear ???
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #148 on: 22 December, 2009, 06:11:20 pm »
That sounds horribly familiar.  Descending Noah's Ark Lane on the 2007 edition I knew I was going to fall off, so unclipped my right foot and crept along at 0.01 mph.

Mr Larrington, I went one better, I crept along at 0.001mph but still fell and ended the day at Warrington General with a broken wrist :'(

mikewigley

« Reply #149 on: 22 December, 2009, 08:23:33 pm »
Mr Larrington, I went one better, I crept along at 0.001mph but still fell and ended the day at Warrington General with a broken wrist :'(

.. and I think I've not seen you since, except at Alston of course doing an excellent job on LEL.  I did cite your experience in my pre-Winter Solstice communications, trying to persuade my entrants not to ride