Author Topic: Round The Year Randonneurs Log  (Read 426814 times)

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
Re: Round The Year Randonneurs Log
« Reply #175 on: 07 January, 2010, 04:57:22 pm »
Yeah, init...

From the book for crap excuses, if we did, it would be one ride done toward ISR  ;D

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #176 on: 07 January, 2010, 05:23:01 pm »
Ah, but you are forgetting that UK planes aren't made for snow.  They get snuffles and have to rest in their hangars.  You can also forget about Eurostar.  And the ferry is fine in theory, but you will be trapped on a motorway until the snow clears.

Let's face it, we are shafted any which way you want to do an RRTY in weather like this!

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #177 on: 07 January, 2010, 05:51:51 pm »
Ah, but you are forgetting that UK planes aren't made for snow. 

Not at all. This is what I was thinking of when saying "Flying anywhere right now is in itself an insane high-stress option". I won't be booking any flights for as long as I can avoid it.

Added to which, flying with a Tandem is always a high-stress option....

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #178 on: 07 January, 2010, 08:32:38 pm »
Yeah, init...

From the book for crap excuses, if we did, it would be one ride done toward ISR  ;D

Not quite.  The ISR is only for calendar BRM events, not perms.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mikewigley

« Reply #179 on: 08 January, 2010, 10:00:50 am »
Let's face it, we are shafted any which way you want to do an RRTY in weather like this!

The RRTY isn't supposed to be easy!  The lucky ones are those who have a Perm card on the shelf and the flexibility to just ride any day that the weather breaks. 

January will be month 11 of my own current RRTY.   At least as a 31 day month, January gives you 10% more opportunities for riding than in February

Stephen Kirkby

« Reply #180 on: 08 January, 2010, 10:15:39 am »
All this talk of snow and ice makes me feel smug that I opted out of RRTY in June after a very warm 600 :thumbsup:

« Reply #181 on: 08 January, 2010, 11:16:03 am »

[/quote]

The lucky ones are those who have a Perm card on the shelf and the flexibility to just ride any day that the weather breaks. 

[/quote]

..but it may not be too late. Just contact the organiser and see how quick they can be at processing your entry form and returning the Brevet Card.   The weather should break around the 21st January, so perms may be possible assuming that arrangements are made now.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #182 on: 08 January, 2010, 06:08:28 pm »

The lucky ones are those who have a Perm card on the shelf and the flexibility to just ride any day that the weather breaks. 

[/quote]

..but it may not be too late. Just contact the organiser and see how quick they can be at processing your entry form and returning the Brevet Card.   The weather should break around the 21st January, so perms may be possible assuming that arrangements are made now.
[/quote]

That is also where we Perm Organisers and retired folk strike it lucky.  But there was a time a few years ago, (pre-RRTY as a formal challenge I hasten to add) when I was a normal AUK member grabbing weekend rides.  At least 30/31 Jan fall nicely at a weekend and if there is any chance of a thaw, more daylight will be with us.

But while I might have an advantage, anyone wishing to do one of my Perms need only email to e-chat there ride plan and I will bend over backwards to help.  Many rides actually pass within 100m (A46) of my home and many are also designed around decent rodes that should have been gritted.  Routesheets available on request.

Can you leave home yet Mike?  This weather is great for walking (I am also a mountaineer with 40years winter climbing behind me).

SteveP
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

mikewigley

« Reply #183 on: 08 January, 2010, 07:12:35 pm »
[Can you leave home yet Mike?  This weather is great for walking

Only on foot.  I'm up on Saddleworth Moor but the local shop is only a 2 mile walk away so I'm not starving. 

I had 4 riders finish the Winter Solstice 200 just before Christmas, leaving their cards for my to collect in Stockport - but I haven't managed to pick them up yet.  I do hope the riders didn't forget to sign their cards

« Reply #184 on: 09 January, 2010, 12:19:15 pm »
I did my one and only RRTY in 2008 (mainly) and was quite lucky with the weather except for the Winter Solstice in December which resembled 'Dancing on Ice'.  I was one of the few that managed to stay upright for that one.

A few weeks later and it was the Poor Student in January when I wasnt so lucky and made contact with the tarmac as did most others on the ride.

With this month looking like being the worst January for many decades years I am just glad that I dont have to do a 200 to keep an RRTY going.

Many years ago, I hit a patch of black ice whilst on my way to work (in April!) came off my bike and was hit by a vehicle which was right behind me and couldnt get out of the way.  The result was 6-months in hospital and 2-years off the bike.  Not surprisingly, I often get very nervous when out on my bike when it gets icy these days.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #185 on: 10 January, 2010, 11:39:42 am »
At least 30/31 Jan fall nicely at a weekend and if there is any chance of a thaw, more daylight will be with us.
If the thaw does NOT arrive by 30th jan, we might be able to compile the complete (and short) list of those still on for RRTY!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mikewigley

« Reply #186 on: 11 January, 2010, 05:41:44 pm »
If the thaw does NOT arrive by 30th jan, we might be able to compile the complete (and short) list of those still on for RRTY!

Steve Snook and myself have discussed the advisability of encouraging cyclists out onto snowy roads and we've decided that January will be extended to Sunday 59th January.  For the RRTY and the AAARTY awards, you must ride 2 events before the end of February to count as your January and February rides.  So for goodness sake, keep off your bikes until the snow has gone, and don't come complaining to us if you fall off and hurt yourself.

We've only done this because it looks as if most or all of January will be turbo-weather, so don't start thinking we'll do this in a normal winter

How does that sound?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #187 on: 11 January, 2010, 05:51:08 pm »
Bloody typical - you do something by the rules, then they go and change the rules to make it easier for everyone else!

;) Just kidding - that sounds very sensible. I wouldn't repeat my Jan 200 just to complete an RRTTY, in hindsight; so I wouldn't want anyone else falling off and hurting themselves properly.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Chris S

« Reply #188 on: 11 January, 2010, 06:14:55 pm »
Mike/Steve - On the assumption that your suggestion was serious.

I would be completely against anything like that. But then I can say that with the "comfort" of knowing I've done a 200 this month.

Could you possibly leave a decision on this until (say) the last week in January?

There are plenty of parts of the country that are now quite green; and a thaw continues. After a snowy day on Tuesday, highs of 10c are predicted for the West Country. Anyone desperate enough to get a 200 in could put their bike on a train down to Penzance and do an out and back up/down the A30 in Cornwall.

Suspending he rules midmonth does indeed devalue the efforts of others. This is not supposed to be easy, and anyone who risks themselves over it, does so entirely on their own cognisance, and no blame (implied or otherwise) could be directed at the organisers.

But - it's not my toy - I only play with it; so it's up to you guys. That's all I'll say on the matter here.

Steve Snook

« Reply #189 on: 11 January, 2010, 06:40:08 pm »

I would be completely against anything like that. But then I can say that with the "comfort" of knowing I've done a 200 this month.

Er yes, serious. And it's definite. You're lucky to be somewhere where you've been able to get an event in, most people haven't had that option. The forecast is for the icy conditions to continued for the next week or so. And people have been concerned and asking for advice. It seems to me unfair to penalise them for a situation which is beyond their control.

Steve

« Reply #190 on: 11 January, 2010, 06:45:55 pm »
As a past RRTY rider, and waiting (somewhat less than) patiently to get back on that particular treadmill this month (I like the purity of a calendar year cycle), I would not be in favour of this rule relaxation.  I understand the desire to stop us doing silly things on icy roads, but as Chris S says, it's not supposed to be easy.  It seems a bit early in the month to make such a decision anyway.

Chris S

« Reply #191 on: 11 January, 2010, 06:55:58 pm »

Er yes, serious. And it's definite. You're lucky to be somewhere where you've been able to get an event in, most people haven't had that option. The forecast is for the icy conditions to continued for the next week or so. And people have been concerned and asking for advice. It seems to me unfair to penalise them for a situation which is beyond their control.

Steve

Which leaves just under half the month remaining to get a ride in.

Ah well - like I said, I'm not going to make a fuss.

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #192 on: 11 January, 2010, 06:57:52 pm »
[img height=150 width=100]http://williamthecoroner.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/istock_can-of-worms.jpg[/img]

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #193 on: 11 January, 2010, 07:30:35 pm »
Please reconsider and then withdraw this idea quickly.

Weather is improving - the concept is not meant to be easy - you have to grit your teeth and go out and ride. 30th and 31st Jan are Sat and Sun - if it matters to you that much - and the roads are clear ( willing to put a modest bet on ) then you ride on 30th or 31st.

I confess that I rode for over 4 hours in progressively increasing snow depths on our Norfolk roads on Sat 2nd - in order to get first Jan 200 under my belt, and one of our group retired after 3 falls - it really wasnt easy - but I was damned if I was going to stop at 185kms and pack.

Poor call - why not wait to see what happens in a weeks time - it will still only be the 18th Jan.

I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #194 on: 11 January, 2010, 07:38:24 pm »
Poor call - why not wait to see what happens in a weeks time - it will still only be the 18th Jan.
Because someone might smash their pelvis in that week?

It's obviously a tricky decision; as I see it, doing 2 rides in February isn't a particularly easy Plan B.

i agree that these things should be a challenge - but there is a difference between toughness and safety issues. How is this ruling different to postponing the Poor Student?

Just MHO...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Martin

« Reply #195 on: 11 January, 2010, 07:56:17 pm »
hmm; what about those of us who just need 2 more by Feb for another year?  :-\

I'll stick to what my body is telling me, restart in July

« Reply #196 on: 11 January, 2010, 08:51:26 pm »

Steve Snook and myself have discussed the advisability of encouraging cyclists out onto snowy roads and we've decided that January will be extended to Sunday 59th January.  For the RRTY and the AAARTY awards, you must ride 2 events before the end of February to count as your January and February rides.  So for goodness sake, keep off your bikes until the snow has gone, and don't come complaining to us if you fall off and hurt yourself.

We've only done this because it looks as if most or all of January will be turbo-weather, so don't start thinking we'll do this in a normal winter

How does that sound?

A kind intention I'm sure, but it seems a little bit too "ACP" for my liking.

We had a similar situation to this early last year, are those cyclists going to be given the option of "getting a 200 in" also?

On the one hand I hope so, as I was one that was virtually snowed-in for too long early 2009. But on the other hand I hope not - as I was aware of the terms of entry to RTTY.

I'm a keen supporter of the RTTY - both as a cyclist and an organiser. I admit To date BlackSheep CC haven't had events running every month, but from March this year - BlackSheep CC will.

There's still plenty of January remaing for a 200 (minimum) to be ridden.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

crwydryn

« Reply #197 on: 11 January, 2010, 09:34:15 pm »
I am doing RRTY and I havent done my January ride yet.
I am watching the weather and if it breaks then i will get out and do my 200k permanent (probably in the pouring rain as it is the rain clouds keeping it from freezing).
Or if that doesnt happen there is a calender event at the end of the month, obviously put then as it is considered the best chance for a good day.
If that doesnt work out, then I would have failed, isnt that the whole point of a RRTY?

« Reply #198 on: 11 January, 2010, 10:12:28 pm »
This is a devilishly difficult call isn't it? On the one hand, it is on the face of it, unfair on those people who live in areas more badly affected by the snow (especially given that the apparent option of driving outside their own area to reach an event or Permanent in a snow free region probably isn't feasible if their vehicles are snowed in) but the challenge by definition cannot be conducted on a level playing field for everyone anyway. Those among us who are retired or otherwise able to choose the optimum moment to knock off a DIY ride have a considerable advantage over the chap/chapess who has to work most of the week. Some of us have the benefit of gently rolling or flattish country (thank God!) to assist in those quick DIY rides - if I had to do my RRTY in Wales, I'd never manage it!

I sympathise with Fidgetbuzz and companions who from what I read about it had to put in a ride of Herculean endeavour to score on 2nd January. I was seriously p**sed of to fall ill around that time and see my careful plans to snatch a ride on 3rd January go down the pan (literally!) and then watch with horror as the ice sheets closed in. But if I fail to get the job done in January and have to score two rides in February to maintain my claim, I know I shall feel that my RRTY will seem second rate. In fact, I'm not sure I'd continue it on that basis; I might choose to swallow the disappointment and start afresh with a "real one".

Hard as it may seem, I think this decision will devalue the RRTY, at least a bit. I can appreciate the concern that the challenge could lead someone to take risks that turn out to be unwise, but the Audax concept does that anyway, in challenging people to get out among our maniac motoring population for ever longer distances. You pays your money and you takes your chances .....

The other point about this is that having set a precedent, what do you do next time? If this weather is repeated in January 2011, but perhaps more regionally confined, how do you determine whether or not to call "special conditions". If 2011 is even worse, how will you avoid the argument that "you did it in 2010 and this is much worse, so..."?

I'm not sure this genie can be put back in its box, but if it is to be, it has to done be jolly quick!

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #199 on: 11 January, 2010, 10:41:50 pm »
At the very least - wait and see what happens weather wise by 20th Jan. that still gives 2 weekends of Sat / Sun rides available - and if they have to be DIYs , perms or ECE - then it just requires a bit of organisation from the rider.

Very dangerous precedent - what happens if most of us get our rides in anyway-- but someone has flu and can not ride in Jan anyway - if he/she does 2 in Feb is that OK? 

Sorry guys stick to the guidelines - far too difficult to introduce "equitable" modifications.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!