Author Topic: Strava  (Read 62062 times)

Re: Strava
« Reply #300 on: 03 July, 2020, 12:51:24 pm »

The new default map render has no railway lines and no stations on it. This makes it really difficult to plan a ride to a train station. Not sure what the person who made this decision was thinking. Not pleased.

There is a plug-in for Chrome, strava-map-switcher, that allows you to change to map to something useful like OpenStreetMap or OpenCycleMap.

« Reply #301 on: 15 July, 2020, 08:04:45 pm »
I have just uploaded two rides to Strava and it seems to be calculating quite a few of the segment times massively incorrectly.  For example one 4k segment that I reckon I have done in just over 7 minutes it reckons that I am KOM with 4:08.  A 1.4k climb that I reckon took me about 4:30 is logged as another KOM with 1:31.  To my eye the data looks good with no particularly large gaps etc.  The only thing that is slightly unusual about these rides is that they were originally one long recording and I used the Strava ride splitter then Strava ride cropper to tidy them up.  Is anyone else seeing this sort of behaviour from Strava?

I have raised a ticket but as I haven't had a response to the different issue that I raised over three weeks ago I am not holding my breath...

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #302 on: 16 July, 2020, 04:20:52 pm »
Have you tried clicking on Refresh Activity Achievements?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #303 on: 16 July, 2020, 05:41:14 pm »
Yep. Repeatedly!

The refreshed segments are just the same  :-\

« Reply #304 on: 16 July, 2020, 09:01:14 pm »
Looks like Strava has crashed

Strava is temporarily unavailable

We hit a road block, but our team is working on an alternate route.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #305 on: 16 July, 2020, 09:06:25 pm »
Works here...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #306 on: 21 July, 2020, 10:46:40 pm »
So this "Local Legends" crap - how shit is that?

I reckon it boils down to two categories - first, it'll catch the dullards who really do ride the same roads over and over again, and second, folk who are commuting, or who only have one or two decent routes in and out of their house.

Really hope I don't see myself up there anytime ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #307 on: 21 July, 2020, 11:07:18 pm »
I seem to have already attained and lost local legend status on a segment that makes up part of my winter loop (and is an occasionally useful low-faff route to points south-west of here).  Meh.

On the other hand I've gained another one because I've ridden to Bell End three times in as many months.

« Reply #308 on: 22 July, 2020, 09:19:45 am »
Ride routes and maps no longer show in my feed on the app. Just their proprietary grey, contour background and any photos added by the user. I have emailed them twice, deleted the app and reloaded etc and nothing works. No reply from Strava. I won’t be renewing my subs in August. Crap really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #309 on: 22 July, 2020, 02:49:16 pm »
Oh no - I've just had the email:

You just lost the title of Local Legend on Nobbly bottom. David Wylie's 4 efforts set the new bar for the most attempts completed on that segment in the past 90 days.

Time for you to get back out there!
Nobbly bottom

I didn't even know that I was the Local Legend of Nobbly Bottom  :-\

simonp

« Reply #310 on: 22 July, 2020, 02:56:08 pm »
Sadly I’ve had two disasters with Komoot and corrupt files. Both on winter DIYs. One sent me off road up (way up) Cadbury Camp instead of a nice flat route to Bristol.

RWGPS is solid. You know where you are. No surprises.

I used RWGPS for some tile-bagging ride around the Mendips a few weeks ago. All was fine, and the course (Garmin Edge 1030) was claimed to be the correct length*. But it suddenly ran out at 18km and I had to follow my nose/manually route the Garmin for the rest of the ride. Fortunately it was short enough that I could remember every detour I'd planned for a specific tile, otherwise I'd have been quite peeved.

I'd used the RWGPS IQ app to download the route to the device. The Garmin was also syncing to the phone at the time - perhaps this caused the gremlins. It seemed to be slow to download, but claimed to have succeeded.

* This is a pet peeve. tcx files have metadata such as length of a workout or course embedded, rather than it being worked out on the device from the route. Presumably this is intended to save computation time when displaying such information. But it means that if the file is truncated, it might still claim to be the full distance.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #311 on: 22 July, 2020, 03:18:25 pm »

I reckon it boils down to two categories - first, it'll catch the dullards who really do ride the same roads over and over again, and second, folk who are commuting, or who only have one or two decent routes in and out of their house.

Really hope I don't see myself up there anytime ;D
I think its a nice idea. Most people have no chance of getting a KOM, as the top results are full of serious roadies, or pros, or extreme tailwinds, or cheating. But you could get a local legend if you go out and ride your local routes a few times. Even if you are not very fast.

Yes, there a lot of pointless boring segments, so maybe some of the local legends are not very impressive. Or you could find a really obscure segments that no one else has ridden in the last 90 days. But some of the local legends will be more of a challenge. Especially if some one else is targetting the same segment.

And it is a silly name for it. But so is King of the Mountain anyway.

« Reply #312 on: 22 July, 2020, 03:25:13 pm »

I reckon I'll get a few as I tend to use the same segments at the start/end of many of my runs.

There's also a few segments that are on a relatively flat loop I use for running intervals, so I'll be doing some of those segments 5 or 6 times week.

And I can definitely see there might be a battle for segments on really popular places like Richmond Park or even the Regent's Park loops.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #313 on: 22 July, 2020, 03:54:46 pm »
Just noticed you can't opt out of it specifically. I can think of cases where you'd be happy for your rides to be public but not the extra publicity of being a Local Legend.

Davef

« Reply #314 on: 22 July, 2020, 03:55:05 pm »
Sadly I’ve had two disasters with Komoot and corrupt files. Both on winter DIYs. One sent me off road up (way up) Cadbury Camp instead of a nice flat route to Bristol.

RWGPS is solid. You know where you are. No surprises.

I used RWGPS for some tile-bagging ride around the Mendips a few weeks ago. All was fine, and the course (Garmin Edge 1030) was claimed to be the correct length*. But it suddenly ran out at 18km and I had to follow my nose/manually route the Garmin for the rest of the ride. Fortunately it was short enough that I could remember every detour I'd planned for a specific tile, otherwise I'd have been quite peeved.

I'd used the RWGPS IQ app to download the route to the device. The Garmin was also syncing to the phone at the time - perhaps this caused the gremlins. It seemed to be slow to download, but claimed to have succeeded.

* This is a pet peeve. tcx files have metadata such as length of a workout or course embedded, rather than it being worked out on the device from the route. Presumably this is intended to save computation time when displaying such information. But it means that if the file is truncated, it might still claim to be the full distance.
The IQ app is transferring a .fit file to the 1030 not a .tcx and it cannot be truncated during transfer as it contains a CRC checksum. Like .tcx it contains summary information. The problem must have occurred during the creation of the .fit file on rwgps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #315 on: 22 July, 2020, 06:06:52 pm »
Just noticed you can't opt out of it specifically. I can think of cases where you'd be happy for your rides to be public but not the extra publicity of being a Local Legend.

A healthy reminder that if you make your data public then you are the product.

« Reply #316 on: 24 July, 2020, 12:41:16 pm »
Still not had a response other than 'it is in the queue' on my Strava support ticket that I raised over a month ago.

I raised another one on a different issue on 15th July.  Just checked back on it and see that it is marked as 'solved'.  I have had no communication from them and the problem still exists so I don't understand what the 'solution' is.

My suspicion is that they are totally snowed under and just marking stuff as solved when it isn't.  It is making the decision on whether to pay up at the end of the free trial period so much easier!

« Reply #317 on: 25 July, 2020, 08:53:33 am »
I asked @StravaSupport on Twitter what was going on and the response was:

Sorry for any confusion, we saw that you created multiple support tickets. We merge tickets from the same athlete into one ticket regardless of the topics. This is to ensure we get to your answers as quickly as possible and help prevent any additional delays.

This seems strange to me as the two reported problems had very different symptoms and were on rides separated by a couple of weeks.

It is nearly five weeks since the original query and no response to that yet even with this method of ensuring I get answers 'as quickly as possible'   ::-)

« Reply #318 on: 28 July, 2020, 02:36:15 pm »

I reckon I'll get a few as I tend to use the same segments at the start/end of many of my runs.

There's also a few segments that are on a relatively flat loop I use for running intervals, so I'll be doing some of those segments 5 or 6 times week.

As expected, first interval run for a year takes me round 4 loops of a 1.34km circuit which I added a segment to years ago. And just 4 loops was enough to get me the local legend status on it. Given my interval plans I'll be doing it about 20 times a month from here on.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #319 on: 28 July, 2020, 03:15:40 pm »
I got a Local Legend for riding a local segment 4 times in the previous 90 days.

« Reply #320 on: 28 July, 2020, 03:27:05 pm »
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #321 on: 28 July, 2020, 04:03:06 pm »
The Internet is an unfriendly place.

You can flag individual segments, one of the options is:-
* Inappropriate or improper name

(I've replied to Kajsa's tweet to tell her this.)

« Reply #322 on: 28 July, 2020, 04:54:12 pm »
My rides aren’t public but I’ve seen local legends with a fair few less rides of segments than me. Seems to just be a way to make more if your rides public.

« Reply #323 on: 28 July, 2020, 05:01:16 pm »
More rides public = more public data to sell.

Artificial competition = more regular users = greater perceived market cap (when companies are valued against measures like MAU).

I also wouldn't be surprised if some Local Legend features start to only be available to those with subscriptions in a kind of bait and switch move.

Still never going to pay for Strava.

« Reply #324 on: 01 October, 2020, 10:15:41 pm »
Does Strava want us all to go public, i like the monthly challenges. Not bothered about the club ones due to turbo rides and and E-bikes , was 17 km off a challenge cycled 20 saved under followers and nothing. Going to make public at the end of each month wait a few days then back to followers and see what  happens.