Author Topic: An old End-to-End brevet on tandem trike  (Read 2898 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
An old End-to-End brevet on tandem trike
« on: 06 January, 2021, 05:34:36 pm »
IanH OTP recently posted an old ride report of doing an End-to-End perm on tandem trike four decades ago. Barry had told a few snippets of the ride over the years but the report contains a lot more laughs. HK was regaled with some of it and immediately identified the author as 'Seaboots', named as a 'bluebottle' in the Marlboro. HK was, of course, a pinkbottle.

http://audaxkernow.co.uk/wp-content/2020/06/Three-for-Two.pdf
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Jeff E

• Formerly JRe
Re: An old End-to-End brevet on tandem trike
« Reply #1 on: 07 January, 2021, 01:40:42 pm »
A great read.   Very well written report of an amazing achievement considering the state of the Trike and the  then level of technology available.       I also well remember trying to descend with “Never-Ready” lights 😳

« Reply #2 on: 07 January, 2021, 04:02:05 pm »
A brilliant read, and a brilliant ride. Something for us tandem trike newbies to aspire to - or not!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 07 January, 2021, 04:19:50 pm »
26th August and they're wrapped up in jackets, long tights and a bobble hat.  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4 on: 07 January, 2021, 05:13:31 pm »
considering the state of the Trike and the  then level of technology available.
It is only 40 years ago, not the stone age.  Cotterless cranks, enough gears to get a decent range.  I well recall the report of the time and the incident on the "hard right" bend.  I met Barry a few times in the early 70s.

I have a report of the first End to End tandem trike record, set in August 1947.  2 days 22 hours and 41 minutes, and then onwards for the 1000 mile record.  Times of food shortages and club folk along the way pooling their rations to feed the riders.  They got lost around Wick in the night and ended up riding rutted tracks and knocking up occupants of a cottage for directions.

Something about tandem trikes perhaps, and their riders, that lead to such antics and tales.

As an aside- the RRA LeJog tandem trike record has stood since 1954 (only 7 years after that first one) at 2 days 4 hours and 26 minutes.  Nobody has got close even with all the modern accoutrements.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 07 January, 2021, 06:29:30 pm »
That pair of record riders were the best trike team ever though. Horsepower and skill to burn. Watching them in full flight would have been a memorable sight.

Regarding technology, running solo bike sew-ups on a tandem trike that stops by means of two rim brakes on one wheel is more than a little brave. A modern tandem trike with 1 1/8” threadless headset, deep section rims, tougher tyres, oversize tubing and rear disc brakes is quite another matter.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #6 on: 07 January, 2021, 08:49:18 pm »
Enjoyed that

« Reply #7 on: 08 January, 2021, 12:27:22 pm »
considering the state of the Trike and the  then level of technology available.
It is only 40 years ago, not the stone age.  Cotterless cranks, enough gears to get a decent range.  I well recall the report of the time and the incident on the "hard right" bend.  I met Barry a few times in the early 70s.

I have a report of the first End to End tandem trike record, set in August 1947.  2 days 22 hours and 41 minutes, and then onwards for the 1000 mile record.  Times of food shortages and club folk along the way pooling their rations to feed the riders.  They got lost around Wick in the night and ended up riding rutted tracks and knocking up occupants of a cottage for directions.

Something about tandem trikes perhaps, and their riders, that lead to such antics and tales.

As an aside- the RRA LeJog tandem trike record has stood since 1954 (only 7 years after that first one) at 2 days 4 hours and 26 minutes.  Nobody has got close even with all the modern accoutrements.

Was that 1947 record Crimes and Arnold? I remember reading an article in Cycling in the 70's when I was but a youff. Impressive stuff.

« Reply #8 on: 08 January, 2021, 12:41:32 pm »
Was that 1947 record Crimes and Arnold? I remember reading an article in Cycling in the 70's when I was but a youff. Impressive stuff.
No.  Crimes and Arnold are the holders of the 1954 record.  The first, in 1947, was Jim Letts and Sid Parker.

« Reply #9 on: 08 January, 2021, 12:50:12 pm »
There are lots of tales of record attempts including trikes, tandem trikes etc on Ralph Dadswell's website: https://www.dadswell.co.uk/index.html

« Reply #10 on: 08 January, 2021, 03:53:14 pm »
IanH OTP recently posted an old ride report of doing an End-to-End perm on tandem trike four decades ago. Barry had told a few snippets of the ride over the years but the report contains a lot more laughs. HK was regaled with some of it and immediately identified the author as 'Seaboots', named as a 'bluebottle' in the Marlboro. HK was, of course, a pinkbottle.

http://audaxkernow.co.uk/wp-content/2020/06/Three-for-Two.pdf

Thanks for sharing this, a good read.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.