Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 284203 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.
« Reply #2900 on: 09 September, 2023, 09:10:20 am »
Still there, Basil?

It occurred to me how awful it would have been had this heat wave occurred in July or August. I expect the temperatures would have been about 5 degrees higher.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.
« Reply #2901 on: 09 September, 2023, 09:41:38 am »
That would have provided lots of opportunities for numpties to tell us how the way 'they' measure temperature has changed.

Or that urban sprawl affects the temperature measurements (if you think about it - that's the whole premise of Climate Change - I don't think the septics have grasped that...)
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2902 on: 09 September, 2023, 09:51:55 am »
It is currently relatively cool, very overcast and lacking anything in the way of wind or rain.  Everywhere is damp i.e. on the ground and on vehicles and tents.  The trees are prone to the occasional drip drip drip.

I do not envy those of you dealing with the worst of the heat today but I am very grateful for my respite after yesterday.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2903 on: 09 September, 2023, 11:29:18 am »
Still here.  :)
Coped thusly.  Warmish shower, neither hot nor cold.  Return to bedroom without using towel.  Lay dripping wet body on the bed, and drop into a blissful sleep.
Woke up at sparrow fart feeling cold so pulled some bedding over for the last hour.
It was cooler than of late this morning, but has warmed very rapidly again.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #2904 on: 09 September, 2023, 01:39:12 pm »
I had to get the parasol out again.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2905 on: 09 September, 2023, 03:30:52 pm »
26C in Furrybootoon according to the BBC. Quite muggy too, despite the breeze.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2906 on: 09 September, 2023, 04:20:44 pm »
26° when I was riding this morning, 31° just now.  All windows closed and fans going.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2907 on: 09 September, 2023, 04:36:59 pm »
A maximum of 30.5°C in our garden today. I spent the morning hefting boxes in and out of the car, and driving between two addresses which constituted a pal's house-move. Not a great day for that sort of physical activity.

Lunch at home, then an idle afternoon at the computer.

Off out for a swim this evening with another pal. Sunset 7.30pm. High tide 9.07pm. Temperature at 8pm forecast to be 25°C. We are aiming to be at what is normally a fairly quiet bit of beach, so hopefully there will be a skinny dip.

ian

« Reply #2908 on: 09 September, 2023, 09:54:50 pm »
Thirty-ish, which made for a sweaty if rather nice hike. Gorged on cobnut ice cream and pear juice, plus some downtime in The Rising Sun, for there is no better pub for a summer afternoon. They got a glorious unkempt beer garden with chickens, kittens, booze, and gelato. Oh, and it’s Kent, so apples too.

« Reply #2909 on: 10 September, 2023, 12:29:56 pm »
York reached 32.1C yesterday, recorded at Osbaldwick. The night temperature according to Alexa was 18C.
We had sheet lightning through the night, appropriately.
Now it is raining. No, hang on, it has stopped.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #2910 on: 10 September, 2023, 12:42:54 pm »
Thunder, lightning & rain at Silverdale!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #2911 on: 10 September, 2023, 01:38:32 pm »
We’ve just had less than 5 minutes of rain, the worst is passing just to the west of us. Temperature now around 26 and feeling quite pleasant with a freshening breeze. Thunder rumbling in the distance.

« Reply #2912 on: 10 September, 2023, 01:43:05 pm »
It’s lashing down . Pleasantly cool.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2913 on: 10 September, 2023, 06:13:33 pm »
The Graun has just announced that 7 consecutive days about 30°C in the UK is a new record. For my device, the last 3 have been above 30°C, the previous 2 above 29°C and the other two 25.7°C and 27.2°C. I wonder if there has been one specific weather station that has recorded >30°C for all 7 days.

« Reply #2914 on: 10 September, 2023, 07:19:00 pm »
Occasionally afew drops of rain just enough to wet the roafor a few minutes before evaporating again. It's now cleared.  23 degrees here now  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #2915 on: 10 September, 2023, 08:05:06 pm »
we have had intermittent droplets but just steamy.  Reminds me of Accra during the rains.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2916 on: 10 September, 2023, 11:00:48 pm »
Properly raining in Furryboottoon now.

« Reply #2917 on: 10 September, 2023, 11:19:31 pm »
Looks like Newcastle & Lincolnshire got a bit damp!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2918 on: 10 September, 2023, 11:30:21 pm »
According to these Met Types, Essex is due some thundery rain on Tuesday. I will be taking the car to be MOTd so I don't really want to get wet when I cycle back.

« Reply #2919 on: 11 September, 2023, 08:27:52 am »
BBC presenter calls heatwave ‘lovely weather’.   Sounds archaic.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #2920 on: 11 September, 2023, 11:49:00 am »
A beautiful proper British Summers Day here today, light breeze, fresh air, 23C.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2921 on: 11 September, 2023, 11:50:27 am »
A beautiful proper British Summers Day here today, light breeze, fresh air, 23C.

Same here but currently 25C.

It was 19C when I went to the gym at 6.30 a.m. this morning.  Dark but warm.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #2922 on: 11 September, 2023, 01:21:56 pm »
Proper thunderstorm here in Weardale yesterday. 58.5mm of rain in just a few hours.
Andy Berne's Four Tops/three Valleys comes up here at the w/e  - will still be some gravel about.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2923 on: 11 September, 2023, 02:12:13 pm »
Last day but one of our canicule here. 30°+ today, 30°+ tomorrow, then it's zonk down to max 22° and wall-to-wall wet. Thursday looks OK, though.

BTW, OED sez canicule exists in English, yer man Addison used it around 250 years pre-Internet.  He filched it from French, though. Dastard.  Comes from Latin, sayth OED, canicula meaning puppy: canicule referring to dog days 'cos Sirius rises & sets with the sun.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2924 on: 11 September, 2023, 02:28:56 pm »
High of 29 yesterday, plus a light shower in the afternoon.  Actual rainbow spotted.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime