Author Topic: Tour of Britain 2010 route  (Read 16864 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Tour of Britain 2010 route
« Reply #25 on: 27 April, 2010, 09:46:12 am »
Scotland would be fantastic for a queen stage.. Something like the Snow Roads route blended with the Cairngorm Sportif. Start in Dundee, Cairn o' Mount, Cabrach, Lecht, Brig'o'Brown, and finish at the Ski Centre on Cairn Gorm.

It is a question on whether Visit Scotland and the local councils want to spend the money to promote Scotland this year as opposed to the amount htey spent getting the borders stages for the last few years.

..d

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #26 on: 27 April, 2010, 10:02:55 am »
I reckon the road from Bettyhill down the valley of Strathnaver,over the Crask,Lairg,Bonar Bridge,Struie Hill,Black Isle & Inverness would make for good tv viewing

David Martin

« Reply #27 on: 27 April, 2010, 11:17:29 am »
I reckon the road from Bettyhill down the valley of Strathnaver,over the Crask,Lairg,Bonar Bridge,Struie Hill,Black Isle & Inverness would make for good tv viewing

You'd get fuzzy pictures from all the midges though..
Thurso or Wick  could be a good start/finish.
Depends how much they want the tourism promotion.

« Reply #28 on: 27 April, 2010, 12:30:16 pm »
Scotland would be fantastic for a queen stage.. Something like the Snow Roads route blended with the Cairngorm Sportif. Start in Dundee, Cairn o' Mount, Cabrach, Lecht, Brig'o'Brown, and finish at the Ski Centre on Cairn Gorm.

It is a question on whether Visit Scotland and the local councils want to spend the money to promote Scotland this year as opposed to the amount htey spent getting the borders stages for the last few years.

..d

Would be a great start - then straight down the A9, a 2 hour trip would be acceptable and get the teams well placed for a stage back to England.  Why not?

"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

David Martin

« Reply #29 on: 27 April, 2010, 12:56:59 pm »
Hilly stage is a poor start. You want nice flat stages, then a hilly one as second/third  to last. Then the processional final crit in Londinium (TT previous day?)

Keeps the suspense going all week.

I suppose having a hilly stage to set up the potential leader at the start then gives more scope for breakaway stages = more traffic management problems.

Tour of Scotland would be fantastic..

..d

« Reply #30 on: 28 April, 2010, 06:49:38 pm »
ToB usually seems to be won by somebody who gets a breakaway in the first stage and defends it all week - so a hilly first stage would be no different, and at least it would be an honest start!
"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #31 on: 24 June, 2010, 06:12:02 pm »
Nice little promo video for the Norfolk stage: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/z5SAPDBfohE&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/z5SAPDBfohE&rel=1</a>
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #32 on: 18 July, 2010, 06:54:22 pm »
What time of day does each stage start?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #33 on: 18 July, 2010, 07:35:05 pm »
I don't think the start times have been released yet - they'll be in the Race Manual in the Press section of the official site nearer the start of the race.

Not ideal if you're looking to book trains to get you to a start/from a finish that the times aren't released sooner though...
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

« Reply #34 on: 18 July, 2010, 07:58:42 pm »
The Welsh stage is going over the Black Mountain road from Llangadog.  If you don't know it, it's a fearsome and deathly gnarlfest, a gruesomely beautiful ribbon of tarmac designed to shatter spirits, grind bone and rend flesh.  

I know where I'll be watching.

« Reply #35 on: 18 July, 2010, 08:43:02 pm »
Can you assist with a post code reference or grid reference?
I would like to try and see a ToB stage this year and don't mind riding to a decent spot and then riding back afterwards, inspired of course.  ;D

« Reply #36 on: 18 July, 2010, 10:02:57 pm »

OS X (Eastings)     272820
OS Y (Northings)    219170
Nearest Post Code   SA19 9PA

It's a toss-up between Constitution Hill in Swansea and the Black Mountain, but I've decided on the Mountain so will see you there Tewdric (and GruB?).  I know the exact spot I intend to be - just a little up from here.   

« Reply #37 on: 18 July, 2010, 10:29:02 pm »

It's a toss-up between Constitution Hill in Swansea and the Black Mountain, but I've decided on the Mountain so will see you there Tewdric (and GruB?).  I know the exact spot I intend to be - just a little up from here.   

You're on.

lemonjiffy

« Reply #38 on: 19 July, 2010, 01:35:17 pm »
No NE of England stage this year then  ???

It would be nice, one year, if they could organise a race that didnt involve transfers every night.
I might try and get along to the London stage, esp as its on the east side of town.

didnt they have to neutralise the race in the north east a couple of years ago? cause some ejut forgot to get police permission ::-)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #39 on: 19 July, 2010, 01:47:27 pm »
Stage 5 goes past our house
Stage 4 goes up Monument Rd out of Wellington towards Hemyock, pretty much on my commute

So if the weather looks good get the stage 4 day off and ride up to the very steep bit at the top of Monument hill ( it's about 20% ).  Otherwise if the weather is mauvais stage 5 day off and make a banner and wait just outside our house

« Reply #40 on: 19 July, 2010, 01:49:43 pm »
Ah nice its coming to Glastonbury, that's an easy cycle distance from my place  ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #41 on: 19 July, 2010, 03:32:35 pm »

didnt they have to neutralise the race in the north east a couple of years ago? cause some ejut forgot to get police permission ::-)

That was in Yorkshire.  IIRC West Yorks Police were cleared, but North Yorks not consulted :facepalm:
Getting there...

Chris S

« Reply #42 on: 19 July, 2010, 05:34:49 pm »
KoM in Norfolk. I still can't keep a straight face around that concept.

Anyway.

Family S will be skivving taking the day off and going to cheer them on somewhere up on the coast.

« Reply #43 on: 19 July, 2010, 08:46:19 pm »

Mmmh, 142 miles is quite a trek to the start.  What time do you reckon it will go through at that point and what time do you reckon you will need to be in place by?  Road closure?

I have great friends just over the bridge so I could break it into two days.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #44 on: 19 July, 2010, 08:56:38 pm »
Don't know yet I'm afraid.  There's about  25 miles to the finish from there, so I'd guess it would be around 14:30-15:00.  No idea about road closures.  I was going to leave it nearer to the time to work out the logistics, but then I'm only about 13 miles away so it's easier for me.  Not sure if Tewdric is cycling over but he's not far this side of the bridge so you may be able to arrange some company.

« Reply #45 on: 20 August, 2010, 03:36:31 pm »
I know the exact spot I intend to be - just a little up from here.   

You're on.

I hope to be there too. Plan is ride Birmingham - Talybont-on-Usk on the Sunday, probable food stop at Shobdon airfield. Food, real ale and overnight at the White Hart. Monday morning: breakfast then ride approx 40 miles to the tea room at the Carreg Cennen Castle tea room & craft shop, eat more before riding the few miles back to the above spot. Then back to Talybont for another food, real ale & overnight stop. After breakfast on Tuesday ride back to Hereford or Ledbury and take train the rest of the way back to Brum to catch up on what's happening in the race.

Can you tell I've done a few rides with the local CAMRA CTC group recently? It'll be my first solo multi-day eating/drinking/cycling experience minitour so hopefully I'll be accepted as a fully fledged member after that.... providing I can recall the names of any real ales encountered on the optional tour  ;)

« Reply #46 on: 25 August, 2010, 06:49:53 pm »
Race manual is now available. Predicted time for top of Black Mountain is 12:49 - 13:21.

Edit - think I might head straight to Black Mountain with a snack and drop down to Carreg Cennen feeding zone afterwards for post race analysis if anybody's interested.

« Reply #47 on: 25 August, 2010, 09:29:11 pm »
Quite a bit earlier than I thought then.  Good.  More time for a ride afterwards.  Carreg Cennen tea room sounds like a good idea. 

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #48 on: 26 August, 2010, 02:16:23 pm »
Race manual is now available. Predicted time for top of Black Mountain is 12:49 - 13:21.

Edit - think I might head straight to Black Mountain with a snack and drop down to Carreg Cennen feeding zone afterwards for post race analysis if anybody's interested.

So it is  - thanks :) (linky - 19.7 MB)

I will have to start my planning for attendence at the Bury St Edmunds to Colchester stage.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Andyf

• I would engage you in a battle of wits, but it appears you came unarmed.
  • I love my Specialized, and my Specialized loves me
« Reply #49 on: 26 August, 2010, 03:04:02 pm »
I've booked the day off of work to see it, don't know weather to watch as it comes pass my house or head to colchester and be at the finishing line?  ???
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: "What a ride!" - Brian Davies