Author Topic: Rhubarb's in season!  (Read 3847 times)

gonzo

Rhubarb's in season!
« on: 30 April, 2008, 03:42:42 pm »
Next time you go shopping, try and get some rhubarb. It's lovely!

Simple recipe:
2 stalks per person.
- oven on to 200°
- cut rubarb lengthways
- cut into pices about the length of your finger
- put in oven dish with a good sprinkling of sugar and a couple of shots of OJ

cook for 20 minutes

Re: Rhubarb's in season!
« Reply #1 on: 30 April, 2008, 04:10:06 pm »
Or eat it the way we did when we kids and my dad grew his own. Wash a stick of rhubarb, pour some sugar into a cup. Dip rhubarb in sugar and munch. Repeat. 
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2 on: 30 April, 2008, 04:22:57 pm »
Or eat it the way we did when we kids and my dad grew his own. Wash a stick of rhubarb, pour some sugar into a cup. Dip rhubarb in sugar and munch. Repeat. 

Except rhubarb should be cooked and not eaten raw, as it can be toxic (depending on what has been used for growing it).
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

bikenerd

« Reply #3 on: 30 April, 2008, 04:25:01 pm »
Crumble time!

Equal parts butter, brown sugar, plain flour and oats.  Reckon on an ounce per person of each.  (i.e. 4oz butter, 4oz sugar, 4oz flour, 4oz oats for a crumble for 4 people).  Put all these ingredients in a bowl and rub together until you get breadcrumbs.
Stew rhubarb with some white sugar in a pan until it starts to go soft.  Put the stewed rhubarb in the bottom of an oven proof dish, cover with the mixture.  Cook in a pre-heated oven at 180C for about 35 mins.
Eat with lashings and lashings of custard.
:thumbsup:

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #4 on: 30 April, 2008, 04:33:33 pm »
Next time you go shopping, try and get some rhubarb. It's lovely!

Simple recipe:
2 stalks per person.
- oven on to 200°
- cut rubarb lengthways
- cut into pices about the length of your finger
- put in oven dish with a good sprinkling of sugar and a couple of shots of OJ

cook for 20 minutes

It is very expensive in the shops. Far better to find someone with a plantation as they usually cannot give it away fast enough at this time of year.

We are getting two big tesco green bags (the blue ones!) per week from our patch. Rhubarb and orange jam is luverrrllyy.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #5 on: 30 April, 2008, 04:34:20 pm »

Except rhubarb should be cooked and not eaten raw, as it can be toxic (depending on what has been used for growing it).

I thought it was only the leaves that were toxic.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #6 on: 30 April, 2008, 04:38:39 pm »

I thought it was only the leaves that were toxic.

The stalk can be toxic as well.  Rhubarb is notrious for picking up bacteria, etc. from the various mulches and compost used in growing it.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #7 on: 30 April, 2008, 04:46:29 pm »
On the weekend, I used the recipe for tarte au citron (French lemon tart) but with rhubarb in place of the lemon and it was fantastic - definitely to be recommended. You have to experment with the quantities a bit though...

Rhubarb fool is also a winner. Pureed rhubarb at the base of a light sweet souffle too...

« Reply #8 on: 30 April, 2008, 06:46:49 pm »

The stalk can be toxic as well.  Rhubarb is notrious for picking up bacteria, etc. from the various mulches and compost used in growing it.

Are you thinking of watermellons? I have never heard of bacteria in rhubarb stalks.

« Reply #9 on: 30 April, 2008, 07:39:21 pm »

We used to do that too. Tart or what! Still makes me salivate just thinking about it.

And THANK YOU bikenerd - guess what's for pudding as soon as I spot some in the shops  :)
Waitrose's own vanilla custard is particularly good, if anyone's looking for cheat custard.

(A question, though - why white sugar with the rhubarb, and not any sugar? Is there some culinary reason?)

bikenerd

« Reply #10 on: 30 April, 2008, 09:09:47 pm »
(A question, though - why white sugar with the rhubarb, and not any sugar? Is there some culinary reason?)

Not really, but dark sugar imparts more of a taste to food than white sugar.  Probably something to do with the level of refinement.  Dark sugar is good in the topping as it adds a toffee flavour to it.
The amount of sugar you put in the rhubarb will depend on how tart it is.  Add a tablespoon, taste, add another etc.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #11 on: 01 May, 2008, 09:11:12 pm »

A cup? Luxury! We used to get the sugar in a section of old eggbox.

Roasted Rhubarb with Deep-Fried Custard Pieces

500ml whole UHT milk
grated zest of 2 lemons
75g caster sugar
10ml vanilla extract
75g unsalted butter
100g plain flour
4 medium egg yolks, plus 2 whole eggs
454g pack rhubarb, cut into 5cm pieces
30ml spoonful unrefined dark muscovado sugar
100ml vegetable oil
100g fresh white breadcrumbs
ground cinnamon and icing sugar

Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/GM4. Place the milk, lemon zest, caster sugar and vanilla extract in a pan over a moderate heat and bring slowly to simmering point. Remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly.

Melt the unsalted butter in a non-stick pan until foaming and add the plain flour. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat, and slowly whisk in the milk. Boil for 5 minutes to thicken, stirring constantly. Transfer to a bowl and fold in the egg yolks.

Line a 23 x 18 cm tin, or shaped moulds, with clingfilm and sprinkle with a little water. Spoon in the custard and leave to cool for 10 minutes. Transfer to the freezer and chill for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, place the rhubarb in a roasting tin, sprinkle with the muscovado sugar and roast for 15 minutes until tender.

Carefully turn the custard out of the tin or moulds and place upsidedown on a board. Gently remove tin and clingfilm and if using a tin, slice into 6 triangles using a sharp, wet knife.

Pour the oil into a 24cm frying pan to a depth of 1cm, and heat over a moderate heat. Beat the whole eggs together and dip the custard in the egg, and then in the breadcrumbs. Fry the custard pieces, 3 at a time, for 2-3 minutes each side until golden brown. Place on a baking tray in the oven while you fry the rest. Serve the custard pieces with the roasted rhubarb and dredge with cinnamon and icing sugar.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #12 on: 01 May, 2008, 09:15:26 pm »
Rhubarb & apple crumble.

Yum!
Abnormal for Norfolk

« Reply #13 on: 02 May, 2008, 11:20:13 am »
It is very expensive in the shops.
..d

You're not kidding - I found some in Sainsbo's yesterday. £2 for three stalks.  :o

Does anyone in SW London have a surfeit that I can help them with?  :D

« Reply #14 on: 02 May, 2008, 11:26:39 am »
Rhubarb & apple crumble.

Yum!

Don't forget the sultanas  ;D

« Reply #15 on: 02 May, 2008, 11:43:05 am »
It's a good way to clean those old aluminium pans.

« Reply #16 on: 02 May, 2008, 01:19:55 pm »
Bother, we could have brought you some last week!  The allotment is producing *loads*. 

Yorkshireman

• The Meaning of Life is ...
  • North Hykeham. Lincoln.
    • Yorkshireman's Ramblings
« Reply #17 on: 02 May, 2008, 05:32:56 pm »
Don't all rush ...

That's last year - but it looks just the same this year  ::-).
Colin N.

Lincolnshire is mostly flat ... but the wind is mostly in your face.