Author Topic: WEDNESDAY Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride  (Read 187567 times)

Re: Thursday Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride
« Reply #775 on: 27 March, 2014, 11:42:51 am »
Well, I have seen one strapped diagonally across someone's back using what appeared to be old inner tubes. How successful it was, I've no idea. It did look rather uncomfortable though.

I thought of some kind of harness across the back, but the 18 miles down to Phil's is a leetle far for that - and I do have quite a lot of stuff to carry...

...and not forgetting the Mystery Bag:

I tried fitting it all into my Ortlieb front rollers, but this definitely called for Carradice:

The panniers make quite a useful base for the wheel and rims. Oh, and it was lucky that I spotted this on the rear tyre before I tried to ride all that down the road:

Phil, I should be there about 6-ish, though I'll aim for a bit earlier.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #776 on: 27 March, 2014, 11:55:58 am »
Cool, I'll be leaving work about 15:30, so should be back well before then.

Better find some space in the shit-tip garage for all those bits.

Don't forget those books to take back with you :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #777 on: 27 March, 2014, 03:41:31 pm »
Excellent - I'll want some ballast to weigh down the panniers.

« Reply #778 on: 27 March, 2014, 10:38:03 pm »
Well, I was glad to rid myself of all that stuff (lucky torslanda has a big car), and it was a pleasant run out to the Green Tree (of acid bath fame) in Brompton for a few pints and a chinwag. I hope that easterly eases off soon, mind.

tiermat

« Reply #779 on: 28 March, 2014, 07:46:53 am »
Aye, I enjoyed it.  It has been a long time since I have been able to get out on the bike, and a longer time since I have been out for a bike ride with Deano.

We talked about allsorts, including work canteens, live bands, bikes (obviously) and acid baths.

The beer of the night (in an Andrew Br style) was Copper Dragon Best Bitter (no Golden Pippin at this pub!).  We managed to get Deano back to the station in time for his early train.

A LOT dryer than Wednesday night....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

tiermat

« Reply #780 on: 28 March, 2014, 01:51:36 pm »
Who's up for next Wednesday? Looks like, at the moment, the weather is going to be kind to us...

Bike riding, beer and maybe chips :)

« Reply #781 on: 28 March, 2014, 03:13:53 pm »
A LOT dryer than Wednesday night....

Not surprising - it would have been difficult to be much wetter than Wednesday...

« Reply #782 on: 28 March, 2014, 03:16:03 pm »
Who's up for next Wednesday? Looks like, at the moment, the weather is going to be kind to us...

Pencil me in as a probable for next Wednesday. I'm not absolutely certain yet, but a guarantee of good weather looks most enticing.

tiermat

« Reply #783 on: 01 April, 2014, 08:31:38 pm »
I am going to cry off for this week, as my left leg is Hurty and I am on call.

Sorry.

Normal service cwill resume next week.

« Reply #784 on: 02 April, 2014, 07:58:25 am »
No problem. I'll pencil in next week.

« Reply #785 on: 14 April, 2014, 10:52:41 pm »
Anyone round this Wednesday (16th) and fancying a trip to Rainton?

I could do with checking a bit of the arrow route, and Rainton has two pubs!

tiermat

« Reply #786 on: 15 April, 2014, 10:52:04 am »
Sounds like a plan.

Usual time and place?

« Reply #787 on: 15 April, 2014, 10:10:49 pm »
Sounds good. We can take the secret route via Pickhill.

tiermat

« Reply #788 on: 16 April, 2014, 07:57:38 am »
Cool, see you later.

tiermat

« Reply #789 on: 17 April, 2014, 08:38:49 am »
I enjoyed that, it had all the important things that a good social ride should, apart from one, which I will come to in a little bit.

It had COR
It had lovely weather
It had banter
It had a pub (well, actually, two)
It had food (again I'll come to that in a minute)
It had ~30 miles of cycling.

Firstly the thing that was missing, was OTHER PEOPLE.  This is not a criticism of Deano, whose company on bike rides is always good, but it would be nice to see more people heading out on these.

We set out from THoFC at about 18:30, as we knew we needed to get a move on to get to Rainton before 21:00, the time most pubs stop doing food. Down to Maunby, over the old railway bridge to Pickhill, onto Ainderby Quernhow, under the A1 and down the service road to the junction with the A61.  A short hop down the A61 saw us turning left onto the back road to Rainton (over the bridge that crosses the A1) and into the village itself.  The first pub we came to had a slightly cryptic sign outside saying "Sold Out", no indication of what it had sold out of, and it looked busy, so we went onto the next.  This turned out to be a good move as they had their "Feast for a Fiver" Wednesday offer on, chish and fips!  The fish was the size of half a whale, fresh and lovely.  A small accumulation of chips and a puddle of mushy peas completed the plate.  Having only had a sandwich and yoghurt, earlier in the day, I was starving and virtually inhaled mine!  Of course the meal was washed down with beer, in this case it was York Guzzler.

After food we decided we needed to get a move on to get back.  This was when we discovered that Deano's front light had failed!  We managed the route back using my light, having to stop, of course, at South Otterington for one last pint in the pub with the grumpiest barmaid in the world (to be fair we turned up at about 22:00 and I think she just wanted to go to bed (as shown by the fact all the lights were off when we left the pub!)

A "quick" blast along the road to NTR saw me lending a light to Deano to see him home, I went into the house and was quickly asleep.

A great night, I think :)

Ruth

« Reply #790 on: 17 April, 2014, 11:04:17 pm »
I hope to join in for at least some of these rides tiermat, when circumstances  ;) conspire to make it possible.  I finished work at 8pm yesterday so that wasn't really a possible in any case.

« Reply #791 on: 18 April, 2014, 09:56:30 am »
I've occasionally got things to do around Maunby so I'm hoping to stop over some time and join you.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

tiermat

« Reply #792 on: 21 April, 2014, 04:01:19 pm »
Who's up for this week? I am wfh Thursday so cab safely be out playing until late :)

« Reply #793 on: 21 April, 2014, 05:06:00 pm »
I cannae make it - off to the theatre.

« Reply #794 on: 21 April, 2014, 11:33:16 pm »
A little late, but here's the fish n chips at Rainton:

Fish supper by dean.clementson, on Flickr

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #795 on: 23 April, 2014, 09:02:56 pm »
The powers that be have told me I'll be working in Northallerton for most of the late summer.  I suppose I'd better get out on some of these rides!

tiermat

« Reply #796 on: 30 April, 2014, 10:15:43 am »
 :thumbsup:

At the Friarage?

« Reply #797 on: 30 April, 2014, 10:33:43 am »
What time do these rides usually finish? *Looks at GC timetable.

tiermat

« Reply #798 on: 30 April, 2014, 11:29:01 am »
Dale, they finish when they finish is, probably, the best way to put it.  If people need to be back for a certain time, we fit that in, if people CBA and want to sleep on the sofa, that can be arranged, too!

« Reply #799 on: 30 April, 2014, 11:31:51 am »
Ah. I like those kinds of rides.  :thumbsup:

Just looked at the trains - Last one to Sunderland is just before 10, last one to NCL is nearer midnight. I'll have to pop down sometime.