Author Topic: MPH or KMH?  (Read 19144 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: MPH or KMH?
« Reply #75 on: 02 January, 2021, 09:13:01 am »
It is true though, given the weird conversions between different measurements within the imperial system.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Davef

MPH or KMH?
« Reply #76 on: 02 January, 2021, 09:16:05 am »
We're metric 99% of the time, except that MrsT is in an anglophone running group on FB and so runs/walks in miles unless she's doing a multiple of 5k.  I tend to think and speak metric, although I'll still describe short distances such as 6" in imperial.  And of course a few measurements on the bike are still in imperial - same for telescope eyepiece diameters, although the focal lengths are in mm.

I have an imperial/metric measuring tape some misguided wight gave me 30 years ago. Not only is the abominable thing confusing, the scale you want to use is always on the wrong edge.

Not being one-dimensional I use both and, and the same for weights etc. Keeps the grey matter working.

Also results in spacecraft coming to grief when trying to go into orbit around Mars.

There are other reasons why spacecraft have been lost going to Mars.

And there have been errors with calculations of magnitude, not unit.

All measurements are arbitrary. To pick one lot and claim that others are inferior is not pleasant.
I measure audax rides in kf (kilofurlongs).

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #77 on: 02 January, 2021, 09:19:19 am »
It is true though, given the weird conversions between different measurements within the imperial system.

Do you mean that spacecraft are lost, or a spacecraft was lost, or something else?
It is simpler than it looks.

Davef

« Reply #78 on: 02 January, 2021, 09:21:26 am »

Do you mean that spacecraft are lost, or a spacecraft was lost, or something else?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Climate_Orbiter

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #79 on: 02 January, 2021, 09:30:32 am »

OK, I’ll ask the question again. Is that ‘a’ spacecraft, or spacecraft?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #80 on: 02 January, 2021, 09:42:12 am »
I was replying to your last statement, referring to measurement conversions within the imperial system, not spaceship/s or conversions between imperial and metric.

http://bwma.org.uk/understanding-imperial-units/ explaining the various measurements for length or mass is just ... well, I will let you decide.

Davef

« Reply #81 on: 02 January, 2021, 09:43:35 am »

Is that a rhetorical question?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #82 on: 02 January, 2021, 09:43:36 am »
Since I moved to Germany in 2014 I have gone fully metric. I remember switching my Garmin from imperial to metric on my first day here - a kind of mental switch flipped then too. I haven’t needed imperial at all since I’ve been here except for Mum’s pancake recipe (4 plz flour, half a pint of milk, one egg).
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #83 on: 02 January, 2021, 09:56:48 am »

Is that a rhetorical question?

No, it’s a language one.

It’s a point relating to  asking statements about using exact and correct measurement, but unfortunately using inexact language to make the point.   :P

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #84 on: 02 January, 2021, 10:11:45 am »
So you are quoting me and attempting pedantry that is completely unconnected with the quote?

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #85 on: 02 January, 2021, 10:25:56 am »
So you are quoting me and attempting pedantry that is completely unconnected with the quote?

I quoted you and asked a question, for it was unclear what your post referred to. Now you have clarified it a bit.  ;D

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #86 on: 02 January, 2021, 10:31:22 am »
I use km on a bike, miles on foot and in the car, feet/inches/metres/cm interchangeably when DIYing, and nautical miles for distance/speed, metres for visibility, feet for elevation, ºC for temperature, and hp for pressure at work - but statute miles for visibility, and inches for pressure when in the US.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #87 on: 02 January, 2021, 10:39:00 am »
 :thumbsup:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #88 on: 02 January, 2021, 10:45:59 am »

There was another case, which I don't quite remember, where a lander's instruments reported its altitude in metric which the software interpreted as imperial and cut the rockets.  Probably a US/EU collaboration.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #89 on: 02 January, 2021, 10:53:18 am »
My dad once decided to service the family Cortina the night before a holiday.  He set the valve clearances but the engine wouldn't start afterwards.  Finally, in the early hours, he discovered that he was attempting to set valve clearances in mm using feeler gauges in thou, so the valves weren't fully opening (and it sounded like a bag of spanners).  30 thou is about 0.75mm, which is bad if you want 0.30mm.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #90 on: 02 January, 2021, 10:57:02 am »

There was another case, which I don't quite remember, where a lander's instruments reported its altitude in metric which the software interpreted as imperial and cut the rockets.  Probably a US/EU collaboration.

However, in the context of space disasters, it's another learning issue.

All measurement systems are arbitrary, it's probably something to do with human diversity.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #91 on: 02 January, 2021, 11:01:17 am »

I quoted you and asked a question, for it was unclear what your post referred to. Now you have clarified it a bit.  ;D

“... given the weird conversions between different measurements within the imperial system...” is pretty specific. It certainly explains why imperial is inferior to metric.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #92 on: 02 January, 2021, 11:06:05 am »

“... given the weird conversions between different measurements within the imperial system...” is pretty specific. It certainly explains why imperial is inferior to metric.

What is true?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #93 on: 02 January, 2021, 11:08:00 am »
What is troll?

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #94 on: 02 January, 2021, 11:18:01 am »
What is troll?

You selectively quote your own post to appear to make a point. Then call someone a troll.  ;D

« Reply #95 on: 02 January, 2021, 11:28:41 am »
Just compare your dick sizes in digitii and cubitum and get it over and done with 

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #96 on: 02 January, 2021, 11:29:26 am »
Quote to highlight a point.

Enjoying your little game?

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #97 on: 02 January, 2021, 11:46:46 am »

Obviously not any point in asking again what this refers to.  ;D

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #98 on: 02 January, 2021, 12:05:58 pm »
Since I moved to Germany in 2014 I have gone fully metric. I remember switching my Garmin from imperial to metric on my first day here - a kind of mental switch flipped then too. I haven’t needed imperial at all since I’ve been here except for Mum’s pancake recipe (4 plz flour, half a pint of milk, one egg).

I did Similiar, but when arriving at ESTEC in 2005...

also 112g flour, 280ml milk, one egg.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #99 on: 02 January, 2021, 12:06:30 pm »
What is plz?

(And is it an imperial or metric egg?)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.