Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3902715 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #25200 on: 03 May, 2022, 08:25:52 am »
Last night I rode the Ride the Night 100k ride from Windsor to London and Back. it was fun. Then I rode back to our hotel this morning after finishing. Then I had a sleep. Then we went to a cafe with Cycleman and I rode his lovely new trike back to the hotel. That was fun too.  :D :D :D

Lovely.  I used to love night riding. Don't do it any more 'cos MrsT worries too much.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #25201 on: 03 May, 2022, 08:51:26 am »
80-odd km yesterday with El Prez to get espresso & ice cream in Dahn. Ice cream was good, ditto espresso, but the racket from traffic was deafening.  New cycle path across the border linking existing paths in France & Germany meant that we had good tarmac and little traffic most of the way. Came home via a hillside village in Germany called Nothweiler, whose claim to fame is that the only survivor of a reconnaissance expedition into France, one Graf von Zeppelin, watered his horse there in 1870, Nothweiler being the first village he could reach in Germany after a 25 km skedaddle with the French on his tail, they having caught and/or killed his chums.  The village pump is now known as the Zeppelinbrunnen.  That was the first engagement of the 1870 Franco-Prussian war. Funnily enough, the first German killed was called Winslowe.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #25202 on: 04 May, 2022, 07:45:43 am »
Last night I rode the Ride the Night 100k ride from Windsor to London and Back. it was fun. Then I rode back to our hotel this morning after finishing. Then I had a sleep. Then we went to a cafe with Cycleman and I rode his lovely new trike back to the hotel. That was fun too.  :D :D :D
That all sounds like a lot of good stuff. I'm guessing Ride the Night is like a Reclaim the Night walk but on wheels?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #25203 on: 04 May, 2022, 07:48:49 am »
I went out for a little trundle on Monday. Got chatting to a trio of bikepackers between Bath and Bristol. They had ridden from London over three days and were going to take the train back that night. At least that was their plan – they were all on mtbs with huge Jones Loop style bars (presumably Alpkit versions as all three were riding Sonders) so I doubt they managed to get them into GWR's danglecupboards. One of the trio also sported a danglemug. And a danglepot.

« Reply #25204 on: 04 May, 2022, 09:36:45 am »
That all sounds like a lot of good stuff. I'm guessing Ride the Night is like a Reclaim the Night walk but on wheels?

It's a women only ride for women's cancer charities. It did feel a lot like reclaim the night. I think it's the furthest that I have ridden since Nye was born and it's certainly the furthest I have ridden on the tandem, solo or otherwise. It was much easier than I expected, partly due to the company.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #25205 on: 08 May, 2022, 12:36:48 pm »
FNRttC on, umm, Friday. Although strictly speaking as we start at 00:00 it's on a Saturday.We didn't go to the coast either, although topographically speaking I guess we did. Start was at Potters Fields, Tooley Street. Over Tower bridge, go left, over London bridge, go right. Continue over all* the bridges until we get to Maidenhead for breakfast. Good to see Adrian LOTP and others I haven't seen for a while. The almost last leg past Runnymede was a bit gutty but other than that it was a good ride.  See the fettling thread for how we nearly didn't start.

*No rail bridges, no Hammersmith bridge, as it is b0rked.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
« Reply #25206 on: 08 May, 2022, 01:09:36 pm »
Did a somewhat ventilated 84km spin round Montrose basin yesterday. Spotted the Caledonian Sleeper having a snooze at Bridge of Dun and saw some big salmon in the Esk from the old North Water bridge.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #25207 on: 08 May, 2022, 08:36:30 pm »
Yesterday was a bit of a mixed (if not downright bad) experience. I went out with the club semi-slow run on the Vitus now fitted with working  600 Tricolour brifters. The reason I hadn't used it for a couple of years was the discomfort of 23mm tyres pumped up to 7bar. But yesterday I took a chance and rediscovered how slick the shifting was (8sp, 11-30 cassette, nothing to get excited about). The bad bit was a crash when I crashed into the bloke in front while discussing stuff with the Pres (he stopped in the road, looking round to see where we were as we were at the back; I was looking the other way and didn't notice that one blue jersey had stopped moving. I may have a problem with peripheral vision in my old age!) I always knew there was a reason I prefer to ride solo! Only damage to me being bars and levers, sorted out with allen keys (mine!) by the side of the road and a front wheel seriously pringled. I sorted that with an application of knee so that it turned and I had an emergency front brake but the rim is dead (old Open Sport rim so not the end of the world changing it). The good side 58kms at 20km/h. I haven't done that for a long while. I really am happier riding alone though, even if it is slower and harder work!

Today was a bit different because I was walking, not riding. The Transmillevache which is an mtb event with distances from 25 to 80kms with a fair bit of climbing. I took my daughter's dog for 10kms in the morning on a walk intended for bored wives and other helpers (and families). We had fun and I took a few photos, most of which are rubbish. The interesting part was looking at the bikes that we crossed. Of course we were only seeing the ones on the shorter circuits, I would guess that battery life would preclude a lot of e-bikes from tackling the 80. Fully 50% of the ones we saw, perhaps more, were electric and a lot of the riders were relatively young (30's and upwards). It was also interesting to see a couple of gravel bikes.
My pessimistic mind has got to thinking that if the majority use motors then organisers are going to design technically harder circuits to accomodate this, to the point that certain circuits and rides are going to become inaccessible to average unmotorised riders. I can't help thinking that in an environment of cycle-tourists this is a bad thing!
Final observation, e-mtb riders in this part of the world depend on big fossil-burners, frequently 4WD, with big platform racks to shift their bikes. E-bike is not necessarily green!

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #25208 on: 08 May, 2022, 09:42:28 pm »
I did 25 miles amid the motoring mayhem that is Richmond Park on a sunny Sunday in Summer.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #25209 on: 08 May, 2022, 10:00:52 pm »
Jan and I took some sandwiches on the Thorn tandem and ate them at the Barling nature reserve, where we saw a cuckoo. We returned via pal Penelope's house and drank tea. 11.99 miles, quite slowly.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #25210 on: 14 May, 2022, 10:58:40 am »
The TSR's inaugural ride was going to be today but it ended up being 1.5 miles to SO's flat and home, to feed the cats.  Then, since it was windless, I went out on the track bike instead. 
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #25211 on: 15 May, 2022, 11:21:46 am »
Went to Gloucester, using a combination of lanes, towpath and A38. Had a really good pizza at Ionian on the A38 near Cambridge. Then came back home, avoiding the towpath except for the nice smooth section in Gloucester, because it turns out to be true that when you haven't ridden much, the first fitness you lose is arse fitness.

« Reply #25212 on: 15 May, 2022, 06:10:58 pm »
Moss end garden Village to the cafe with apollo. About 30 miles  including some bridleways and 8 miles to Windsor and back today  for a afternoon swimming session  😀
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #25213 on: 15 May, 2022, 06:40:59 pm »
Me and mini_2 went unipacking for the weekend.  One night away camping, and 74 km covered (with a bit of walking when tricky and too ruddy hot).

Absolutely knackered now.  And it hurts too much to sit on our arses any more.

DSC_0375 by Tom, on Flickr

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #25214 on: 15 May, 2022, 09:08:49 pm »
:o I think someone's nicked important parts of your tandem...

We've finally discovered a legitimate use for a beam rack, thobut.

« Reply #25215 on: 15 May, 2022, 10:51:26 pm »
That is just showing off that is. Not that I am envious or anything.  ::-) ::-)
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #25216 on: 16 May, 2022, 06:33:56 am »
We've finally discovered a legitimate use for a beam rack, thobut.

That was my thinking.  Worked alright on the easy terrain at the start, but as soon as it got trickier the 'tail wagging the dog' effect was hard work.  So the tent got strapped to the bottom of my rucksack instead.

And no, it wasn't just on mini_2 before that. We were swapping unis every 5-10km to try and even things out coz the wheel sizes are different.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #25217 on: 16 May, 2022, 09:22:52 am »
Saturday: set out for a 150k pizza run on the eCow but turned home after first coffee stop because chain still slipping under heavy load. Back home after 85k, took my nice light unmotored Trek out and did another 35k via a nasty little col in the forest with an exponential profile, just to see if I could.  Made it but BPM a little excessive and legs complaining - two months on an electrified bike haven't done them any good.  Took MrsT's old trail bike 5k to the pharmacy and back this morning and they were still unhappy. Heigh ho.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #25218 on: 16 May, 2022, 09:25:33 am »
@tom_e chap-blood-eau with a capital EAU

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #25219 on: 18 May, 2022, 03:03:13 pm »
Motorless 57k. Suffered on climbs, not least because I had a bloody Metformin pill with breakfast.  Riding with a motor seems to have had much the same effect as a month or two off the bike entirely.

ETA just checked my records: on the biggest climb I only developed 63% of the power I output on the same climb last November.

« Reply #25220 on: 19 May, 2022, 09:11:44 am »
Short run into town on the shopper for food and haircut. Heel still sore but seems ok cycling.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #25221 on: 19 May, 2022, 07:58:54 pm »
Out to Windsor to get the lower gearing fitted on the tricon gr. This evening a short ride towards gerrards Cross to climb a hill. Definitely easier :thumbsup: . About 16 miles for the day  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #25222 on: 21 May, 2022, 01:25:28 pm »
Does the turbo count? 
#2 son’s school was doing a 24 hour bikeathon, so I did 12-2 overnight on the recumbent trike.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #25223 on: 21 May, 2022, 05:47:17 pm »
1st tandem ride of the year - drove to Edzell then 50km with a lovely Laurencekirk lunch stop at Gannets cafe.

Never ridden the Drumtochty Glen Rd before so thats a new one.  Was nice to see [but not ride] Cairn O Mount!

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/90834803

https://twitter.com/graeme_wyllie/status/1528054085605367808?s=20&t=HR2azuJ93OvDzy9KE9WoMQ

« Reply #25224 on: 22 May, 2022, 07:30:25 am »
Yesterday,

I've been a bit glum recently about how much riding my friends who don't have wife/kids/full-time jobs get to do compared to muggins who has all that above

Friday morning was telling youngest monkey about my evening ride Thursday she said she wanted to do a big ride with me on the weekend

So Saturday morning while they were out with the wife I drove out car to a nearby village where I often meet friends for a ride and cycled home

When she got back we set out and was lovely. It's very rare to get time with just one of my kids and the roads we used were really quiet so she could ride next to me chatting away. Stopping at goffcakes for a drink and pictures as will send something into her school

We saw a peacock and a couple of other cyclist made a point of waving/greeting clearly to her which she liked. As we approached Terling our destination she started begging to cycle back. Unfortunately I knew i wouldn't have time to ride back for the car so persuaded her we would go to the ford for a paddle and then to the car.

The only bit that she found hard was the sharp incline from the ford but with some encouragement she made that and then we had to stop at the park.

Eventually persuaded her into the car for the journey home

Just under 10km but easily my favourite ride of the year so far....she's already talking about next weekend