Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3897363 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #25000 on: 03 January, 2022, 01:26:57 pm »
Normal cafe ride.  Saturday's quick tube-clearer was definitely a good idea, as it was pretty easy today.  Saw two buzzards and a Lockheed U-2.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #25001 on: 06 January, 2022, 04:32:37 pm »
Shorter coffee/cake loop, mainly remarkable for meeting one of my old UAF road captains and getting frozen nattering - temperature dropped from 7°C to 1°C in around half an hour.  And this effort dropped a fun shower of hail on me too. Quite enjoyed it cracking on my Chinesium visor and flashing in the headlight beam but I'd rather have ridden in the sunlight.   48k as usual.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rogerzilla

« Reply #25002 on: 09 January, 2022, 12:36:16 pm »
Slightly different ride today, to a better cafe.  Horrendous black ice on the way out.  Not many roads are salted nowadays.

« Reply #25003 on: 09 January, 2022, 12:40:50 pm »
Indeed, very slippery out there. I very nearly came off a couple of times this morning. Someone else wasn't so fortunate - on a sharp bend I was turned away by a police officer as there was an ambulance crew in the road tending to a very still cyclist on the deck. Fingers crossed they're OK...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #25004 on: 09 January, 2022, 01:16:04 pm »
30 mile (flat) loop out to Chertsey and back. Bloody hell. Legs felt like they were pushing through treacle. I am soooooo out of shape. Was left for dead by Mrs hatler and our current lodger on a s/s. Must try harder to get out.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #25005 on: 09 January, 2022, 03:53:43 pm »
A 120km loop taking in bits of north west Essex, Cambs and Herts for me today.  Roads were very slippery in places early on while the frost remained and once it warmed up a bit they were just very damp, dirty and greasy.  Cycled through some lovely villages (Helions Bumpstead, Linton, Ashdon, Arksden, Much Hadham to name just a few).  Saw plenty of bird life and enjoyed the blue skies and bright sun, even if the temperature never got above 5c all day.

rogerzilla

« Reply #25006 on: 09 January, 2022, 03:57:57 pm »
We were amazed at the £10k racing bikes (carbon, no visible cables or wires, discs, power meters) lined up at the cafe, which is known as a MAMIL haunt.  Oh, and a couple of filthy touring bikes with ancient Carradices and dynamo lights, which were ours.  Given the time of year, I think we had the better steeds.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #25007 on: 09 January, 2022, 04:39:02 pm »
We were amazed at the £10k racing bikes (carbon, no visible cables or wires, discs, power meters) lined up at the cafe, which is known as a MAMIL haunt.  Oh, and a couple of filthy touring bikes with ancient Carradices and dynamo lights, which were ours.  Given the time of year, I think we had the better steeds.

With a lower steal-me rating.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #25008 on: 09 January, 2022, 05:12:54 pm »
I waited until it had warmed up, so didn't see any ice, but my feet stopped responding after 30 minutes.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #25009 on: 09 January, 2022, 05:34:01 pm »
Whereas I was almost too warm. But I only went to the depressing suburbs (a supermarket in a shopping complex where the car parking covers greater area than the buildings – but it was the only place with a particular item I wanted). Huffing and puffing on the way back but at least I got all the way up the hill (really, is that something to be noted now?  :-[). Felt fun, I might start doing it again.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #25010 on: 09 January, 2022, 05:38:31 pm »
12 mile out-and-back along the sea front.

The minimum temperature overnight was 3.1°C, although there was some frost on a flat roof visible from our upstairs windows. By the time I went out to check the rain gauge, there was none in the garden.

My biggest worry was that the sun was so bright I was struggling to see when cycling from sunshine into shadow and vice versa, and I'm pretty sure any motorists coming up behind me would have been similarly dazzled. Not much of my ride was on busy(ish) roads but I was not comfortable until I reached the sea front's segregated cycle lane. On the return, there was a brisk headwind which I did my best to avoid by cycling along a few of the residential roads parallel to the sea front.

Indeed, very slippery out there. I very nearly came off a couple of times this morning. Someone else wasn't so fortunate - on a sharp bend I was turned away by a police officer as there was an ambulance crew in the road tending to a very still cyclist on the deck. Fingers crossed they're OK...

I've read that a cyclist was killed in the Fairstead area and a driver from S. Woodham was arrested. No idea if icy surfaces were anything to do with it.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #25011 on: 09 January, 2022, 07:04:07 pm »
I've read that a cyclist was killed in the Fairstead area and a driver from S. Woodham was arrested. No idea if icy surfaces were anything to do with it.

That's not good news  :(

This was near Norton Heath on that very tight left hander about a mile or so before the 414 (if you're travelling from the north). I suspect it was ice, but obvioulsy moronic motoring can't be ruled out...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #25012 on: 10 January, 2022, 08:19:35 am »
Following the household dalliance with COVID over the last couple of weeks I have now returned 2 negative tests, so it was up at 5am and out for an hour
Dark, cold, damp.

It was great 👍

A

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #25013 on: 10 January, 2022, 09:31:23 am »
Yes! 23km around the parish lanes, which were a mix of flood and mud. But it was a glorious day, and going at midday minimised the glare hazard (as do the frikkin' laser-beam-strength lights I use all day at this time of year). Lots of people out walking, and I did run into the traffic coming from the village church (poor planning on my part).

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #25014 on: 13 January, 2022, 11:04:56 pm »
Just over 7 miles' round trip up to the Belfairs EWT visitors' centre where I had a latte and a natter to a hitherto unknown dog owner. Very good conversation! I rode home feeling distinctly cold and the darkling sky was cloudless. I thought I saw signs of ice on the puddles, but when I arrived back the weather station reported 8°C, so I must have been imagining the ice. It felt a lot colder, so perhaps I had been sitting outside, too still for too long.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #25015 on: 15 January, 2022, 10:43:37 am »
First off in a decade today, ice caught me out on the last corner from home and down I went, nursing a sore head, neck, elbow and hip. Out again tomorrow
A

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #25016 on: 15 January, 2022, 06:31:48 pm »
Saw a few patches of ice on one lane but it was dirty, old stuff. Other than that the roads were just wet. Rode to Chepstow and then meandered up the Wye a bit. About 75km and my knees were knackered by the end! Must start riding more again...

Just over the M4 as you leave Bristol's north fringe, you pass a travellers' settlement. Yes, that's oxymoronic, but I think you know the kind of place I mean: prefabs and large static caravans inhabited by, well, settled travellers. A few of them keep horses which they race pulling two-wheel gigs. Today, I caught up with one of these and had a great chat with the driver. Apparently his wasn't a trotter but a pacer, which isn't anything to do with speed but the natural gait of the horse.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #25017 on: 15 January, 2022, 06:42:46 pm »
78k lunch loop.
Rather cold, hovering around zero degrees most of the time.
Similar distance planned for tomorrow's club ride, but that will be a bit faster.

This marks the start of me attempting to regain some cycling fitness and endurance post-treatment; I have set myself some rather (over)ambitious targets for the summer.

« Reply #25018 on: 16 January, 2022, 03:22:00 pm »
Out on the tandem today to kick off our 2022 season. Very sunny, main roads also very busy with a high proportion of impatient drivers.
Stopped at Town and Country cafe in Killearn which has become a favourite of ours.
Almost all of my riding this year has been on 170 cranks, today was back to 175's and I can't say I noticed.  The tandem is a bit different in terms of my natural cadence though.

« Reply #25019 on: 16 January, 2022, 03:55:12 pm »
Thirty mile loop out via Cobham. Six of us, and the best bit was I didn't feel anywhere near as wretched as I did last week.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #25020 on: 16 January, 2022, 04:14:51 pm »
44k loop from Hexham, a long climb up from Warden to the minor road South of the Roman wall, which follows the course of the Roman Stanegate.  Worth the effort for some lovely views in the sunshine - it had been cloudy when I set off, but brightened up.  Down a steep hill to Bardon Mill and across the footbridge over the river Tyne.  Then after a nice flat stretch, some long and steep climbs back up the valley past Ridley Hall.  (That's Matthew Ridleys' lot, he was one of the muppets who bankrupted Northern Rock).

A stupid overtake on the way back down the main road before turning off to Haydon Bridge, I think the driver under-estimated my downhill speed (on a recumbent) and an on-coming car had to slow down to avoid him / her.  Then minor roads and a good quality cycle path back to Hexham.  Over 1,500' of climbing, a good work out as well as an enjoyable ride.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #25021 on: 16 January, 2022, 09:55:06 pm »
First outing (rather than pootling about on the folder after company cars) since I think november. Last week I drove the 100k route for end of april, weather too miserable and total distance from home too far for a fat slob like wot I am at present. Today was different , I had to ride the short option to find out how bad it was (all the nasty brutal bits are at the front. Mapmyride made it 47kms done in about 3.5 hours. Garmin crapped out as usual, no useful data there. I am going to have to fit a wired speed counter one of these days so I can see how far I've gone and carry the Garmin just for the looks. It was very cold and hilly and I was a fat slob but I did feel a bit happier with 38mm treaded tyres rather than slicks, the ice didn't melt all day and was all over the road when I finished in the dark. Cree T6 headlight proved its worth!

It would be nice to say that Mapmyride and the phone solve the gps tracing problem - it would be -BUT ride finished, I couldn't find a way to stop it and switch it off! In the end I had to disinstall the app just to shut it up :'( :'(

This short route may be brutal but I am going to have to extend it a bit. A loop round the "Lacs de la Haute Charente" is called for to get a bit closer to the statutary 60kms. I could get away with 52-55 kms total

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #25022 on: 17 January, 2022, 01:31:21 am »
Lovely little bimble out to Cafe Como at Brent Eleigh. Their first weekend open since before Xmas. Sadly, every cyclist in Essex and Suffolk decided to visit this morning, meaning that there was No Bacon Left for my panino by the time I got there. A curse upon all your houses! However, the sultana and apricot cake was a very fine substitute.

Even more sadly, I had my first - and second - puncture in a several of years on the way back. At the bottom of a hill, natch. A flint that would have elegantly graced some warrior or other in Lord of the Rings raped my front tyre, and no amount of tubeless gunge was going to stop the tyre from doing a floppy thing. Some 'rat's tail' did sort it, but I didn't notice till I set off again that the Bloody Flint had penetrated both the tread and the sidewall. Fixed that with another rat's tail, but used my last CO2 cylinder to pump it up. Of course, the repairs were inadequate, and my direct but lumpy back-road route home got steadily more squirmy as the pressure departed the fix. I got home with maybe 5psi in my front wheel.

Given the size of the slash from the flint and the difficulty in getting any kind of repair to stick, I ordered a new Schwalbe G-One as soon as i got home. I then blew up the tyre with a track pump mainly to see where it was leaking from. Of course, it wasn't. It's holding pressure like a new tyre. Bollox.

« Reply #25023 on: 17 January, 2022, 11:09:24 am »
Yesterday. Group pootle out to Riseley village in N. Beds. Cold feet despite new HeaTTech socks. They were a tight fit in the winter boots tho' but. Motorist travelling the opposite way in an old model Citroen Picasso deliberately moved towards us at high speed blowing his horn all the while, narrowly missing an outrider. This following one of  our group signalling that he should slow down. Moron. No wonder the death rate is increasing on the roads. Otherwise uneventful and pleasant ride which was a bit of hard work on the way out due to the prevailing wind. Need to get out more! Ordered some new Exustar sandals to replace the poor quality Shimanos I had. Will perhaps try these  with waterproof outers and thin inner socks as suggested by Jen M for winter riding.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #25024 on: 17 January, 2022, 01:34:32 pm »
Monday is normally the ride to collect Mrs M & the car from the gym (she drives there, I cycle there and drive us both home). I was very reluctant to go out in the cold but persuaded myself that the sun was out and it wouldn't be too bad, and it wasn't.

As a sop to my reluctance I did almost the shortest possible route and to justify that I took my 1946 Hetchins for a spin.

Normally with my Hetchins I hate the first 10 minutes in the saddle and then love the rest of the ride - this was very different. I think because it was all suburban cycle routes the amount of braking I was having to do spoiled the fun factor - it's got the original GB Coureur brakes, and it's very much grab & pray if you get up to any sort of speed.
But, it was a fine ride for all that.

Now - back to dissuading the heron from treating the garden pond as an opportunity for fine dining.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.