Author Topic: ACME goes Dutch  (Read 82227 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: ACME goes Dutch
« Reply #50 on: 15 June, 2017, 08:54:33 am »
The ACME goes Dutch playlist now comprises of 3 tunes as I have allowed Oaky's suggestion of "Eye Level" which, for those of you not old enough to know, was the theme from Thames TV's detective series Van der Valk set in Amsterdam. 

I'm checking with my mum but I'm sure we watched it on the telly in the 70s and I think I could play it badly on my French horn, mercifully there are no cassette tapes or cine film to confirm this fact.

« Reply #51 on: 03 July, 2017, 12:22:42 pm »
Inspired by this thread, I rode a modified version of ACME 2B yesterday (Sunday 2 July). I’d like to thank roffa for publishing an excellent route, and psyclist for posting the initial idea here. The moment I saw this thread I knew I just had to do this.

The route I followed (with a couple of retrospective corrections) is at https://ridewithgps.com/routes/22526857 , with the ride itself logged on Strava at https://www.strava.com/activities/1064512332 . I modified the route to omit three of the five ferries, and to go through the centres of Leiden and Gouda, which increased the distance to 214km.

This was an absolutely superb day out on the bike, and the ACME team is in for a treat.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #52 on: 03 July, 2017, 02:36:24 pm »
 :thumbsup:

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #53 on: 11 July, 2017, 03:28:45 pm »
Well just back from 10 days of cycling around EU and looking forward already to the Dutch adventure....

Worth checking your EHIC expiry date before we go! (mine expires next month!)

ETA: Make sure you use the NHS/Gov website to renew, not one of the "renewal services" !!  :thumbsup:

https://www.ehic.org.uk/Internet/startApplication.do
Regards,

Joergen

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #54 on: 11 July, 2017, 03:57:29 pm »

ETA: Make sure you use the NHS/Gov website to renew, not one of the "renewal services" !!  :thumbsup:

Good call, mine expired in January!
Renew applied for...
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #55 on: 11 July, 2017, 04:23:06 pm »

Good call, mine expired in January!
Renew applied for...

I never travel beyond our shores without medical insurance AND a valid EHIC card.

« Reply #56 on: 13 July, 2017, 09:16:11 am »
I dunno. Think the renewal services are great. Charging you for something that can easily be done for free through the official website. Suppose it's time the ppi and endowment miss selling lot move onto something else.

« Reply #57 on: 17 August, 2017, 09:49:39 am »
I think it's time we consolidated the plans for our Netherlands excursion. We seem to have morphed into a group who are available for 2 days, and a few who are only able to make the first day. Indeed, I'm not sure who fits into which category, so please do reply with any corrections to the below:

Jiberjaber - 2 days
Psyclist - 2 days
OD - 1 day
Oaky - 2 days ??
Huggy - 2 days ??
bhoot + Dave - 2 days ??
roffa - 1 or 2 days ??
tedshred - 'may be tempted'
Tomsk - 'hasn't said no'
Anybody I've missed?

As for the Saturday route, I was considering reducing the distance to circa 160km to get to a drinking/eating establishment reasonably close to the ferry (e.g. Within 20km) so that those getting the ferry can get back comfortably, while those staying can complete the remaining 40km to get a full 200km in, finishing at a cheap hotel with a watering hole close by.

Then we'll need to sort out an even more relaxed ride for the Sunday.

I'll be back from hols next week so can do some route work then, unless somebody beats me to it :-). Roffa's route looks good, but just need to look at refinements and consideration for reducing the loop give ourselves more time without being pressurised by the ferry time ... OD was happy not to do a full 200km, so those staying the extra day can complete the ride using the full time allowed for a DIY 200km.

The plan will be to DIY by GPS. I have a spare Garmin if anybody needs one.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #58 on: 17 August, 2017, 10:08:01 am »
Huggy - 2 days ??
I'm in for the full experience, yesterday I changed my return ferry trip to Sunday evening  :thumbsup:
When I was changing my booking I did notice that the Saturday evening return ferry was fully booked, so anyone not already booked will just have to do the full experience too  ;D

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #59 on: 17 August, 2017, 10:12:19 am »
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #60 on: 17 August, 2017, 11:33:11 am »
The original 2B route has disappeared so I've used Nigel's route.

To accommodate the splinter group the present proposal is to pause the 200km ride about 40km short - group nosh/beer then The two groups diverge. 

Based on that if we reverse the route of Nigel's we arrive around 160km at a fine establishment frequented in the past called The Fat Mermaid where a wonderful tattooed waitress will serve you food & beer.
From there is is a simple 20km down to the Ferry via LF1 for Splinter Group B. (see: https://www.strava.com/activities/390759450)

This leaves Splinter Group A more options on where to head off to (Haarlem is about 40km NNE, Gouda is about 37km EES for example)

If we keep the route in the same direction as Nigel's, that does open up the possibility of *Belgium* for Sunday, (Perhaps stay in Breda?) but I worry that the bit we can reach in a sensible 'restful day' might be that inspiring.  Though this does open up a visit to Baarle enclaves where we could play a game of how many border crossings can we do in a day (or hour!) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baarle but that might be a 150km day...

I've knocked up a RWGPS event to collate the route options here:

https://ridewithgps.com/events/41102-acme-goes-dutch

Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #61 on: 17 August, 2017, 01:32:52 pm »
Well done, jibers you've successfully confused the hell out of me, which admittedly isn't hard these days.  For those of us getting the ferry home on Saturday evening which of your eleventy million route options applies to us???

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #62 on: 17 August, 2017, 01:36:05 pm »
Well done, jibers you've successfully confused the hell out of me, which admittedly isn't hard these days.  For those of us getting the ferry home on Saturday evening which of your eleventy million route options applies to us???

The one that goes straight back from the dinner stop to the Ferry, I'm guessing ;)  (ETA: the ACLK one is my assumption)

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #63 on: 20 August, 2017, 10:11:03 pm »
We are definitely on for 2 days, although we may extend even further and slope off to stay with friends on Goeree Overflakkee on Sunday/Monday night.  Not sure whether we will have the tandem back in working order by then - we hope so as it rather likes "going Dutch" and the colour seems to be appreciated over there! Even if solo we will try for the 200km option as it would be nice to get some points from foreign parts.
Will try to take a look at routes etc this week as we have some knowledge of the area from various tours. Any thoughts yet on where to stay Saturday night?

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #64 on: 20 August, 2017, 11:20:45 pm »
RE: Somewhere to stay, Not at the moment, which is why I thought it might be useful to start looking at the route split. 

I must admit, my preference would be for an out and back, so out from Hoek on Sat, then Back on Sun rather than a circular route with a diversion at 160km as we will inevitably end up duplicating some of the route on the way back on Sunday but lets see how we get on in the next week, we probably need to conclude a place to stay soon else it might start getting expensive or we are split up by a good few KM to be in the same place.

Andrew - when are you back in the UK ?
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #65 on: 21 August, 2017, 07:13:59 am »
Andrew - when are you back in the UK ?

I arrived back home just before midnight last night.

With OD and Oaky doing the day trip, I'm keen to make sure they are able to be included in the ride as much as possible, and not caste adrift. My suggestion of 160km for the split was just a proposal, but based on keeping the group together for as long as possible.

Happy to look at alternatives, but I'm thinking a looped ride that heads somewhat back to the ferry would marry the two groups the best. If the route had a natural split slightly earlier, that might be fine if we could have a nice beer before the split, and then the two day-ers could head inland for the hotel destination.

I also want to check with Oaky re distance. OD was happy not to do a full 200km, but I want to check whether Oaky would prefer to complete a 200km or is happy for a slightly shorter ride. This may determine whether their route is planned as a loop back to the ferry, or more of a straight line.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #66 on: 21 August, 2017, 09:01:09 am »
I also want to check with Oaky re distance. OD was happy not to do a full 200km, but I want to check whether Oaky would prefer to complete a 200km or is happy for a slightly shorter ride. This may determine whether their route is planned as a loop back to the ferry, or more of a straight line.

I'm more than happy with a shorter ride.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #67 on: 21 August, 2017, 03:56:20 pm »

After the fun we had on Saturday can I also ask that a kid's playground be included in the itinerary as well?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #68 on: 21 August, 2017, 04:49:26 pm »

Again?? Didn't you learn your lesson on the Green Man beer garden slide?!
After the fun we had on Saturday can I also ask that a kid's playground be included in the itinerary as well?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #69 on: 21 August, 2017, 05:01:36 pm »
I was only the photographer this time.  Perhaps I'm maturing so don't feel comfortable joining in with the kids anymore.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #70 on: 29 August, 2017, 04:09:04 pm »
I'm still confused.  Exactly what is the plan? 

« Reply #71 on: 29 August, 2017, 04:35:45 pm »

Yourself and Oaky are doing a day trip in the Netherlands, accompanied by some excellent outriders who will safely navigate you around some of the best scenery in the region.

I'll spend some time on the route this week, so that we can confirm the specifics of the route, where your path will diverge from those staying the extra day, and rough time schedule.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #72 on: 29 August, 2017, 04:47:00 pm »

Yourself and Oaky are doing a day trip in the Netherlands, accompanied by some excellent outriders who will safely navigate you around some of the best scenery in the region.

I'll spend some time on the route this week, so that we can confirm the specifics of the route, where your path will diverge from those staying the extra day, and rough time schedule.

Remember the KISS maxim. jiber's post was way too complex, he works under the misapprehension that everyone is as clever as he is  ::-)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #73 on: 29 August, 2017, 05:48:44 pm »
Remember the KISS maxim.
"I wanna rock and roll all night and party every day" ?

At my age?  I'll be needing intravenous Horlicks if that's the plan!

« Reply #74 on: 29 August, 2017, 08:10:11 pm »
I've got a gate pass for the Dutch weekend - and now ferry tickets.

Are there plans of where we are staying on the Saturday night?

Jan
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...