Author Topic: ACME goes Dutch  (Read 82897 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: ACME goes Dutch
« Reply #375 on: 09 November, 2021, 01:32:14 pm »
Might there be an actual 200km ride in there as well at some point?  Can sometimes help with the "But why are you spending all your valuable leave away cycling?" question.

I think psyclist's plan involved cycling more than 200k so that's alright then  :thumbsup:  Its all about the spin  ;D

« Reply #376 on: 09 November, 2021, 03:13:59 pm »
Heh, very good.  ;D
I'm sure I won't actually feel like doing a 200 at any point, but I might plan to do one all the same. 4x90 degree "turn lefts"= straight on + extra distance.
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

« Reply #377 on: 09 November, 2021, 03:46:18 pm »
I'd like to drop an early marker of vague interest for next year. And, here's a suggestion - Merge "ACME goes Dutch" with the "Bong" thread - you did say there would be coffee shops ?  ;D

« Reply #378 on: 09 November, 2021, 05:48:06 pm »
Nice to see such a cacophony of requests coming in, from Nick’s desire for an SR in 4 days ‘to make it worthwhile’ to Ted’s I want to be within sight of the next night’s accommodation when I set out in the morning. Route planning will start in the spring, and aim to cover a variety of options through the 4 days. We are an inclusive group … albeit with OD as the self-appointed gatekeeper!

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Oscar's dad

« Reply #379 on: 09 November, 2021, 06:07:29 pm »
BTW this afternoon in put these shenanigans in my diary so that makes it more likely I can take part.  I've thoroughly enjoyed the previous two iterations I've done.

« Reply #380 on: 09 November, 2021, 07:09:24 pm »
Might there be an actual 200km ride in there as well at some point?  Can sometimes help with the "But why are you spending all your valuable leave away cycling?" question.

On Saturday la 10th of september is a 200km audax ride in Valkenswaard (near Eindhoven).

« Reply #381 on: 09 November, 2021, 07:41:51 pm »

On Saturday la 10th of september is a 200km audax ride in Valkenswaard (near Eindhoven).

Thanks Ivo. Added to the list of possibilities.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #382 on: 09 November, 2021, 07:59:57 pm »

I'd like to meet up with you at some point. I'm not sure what state I'll be in. So will confirm nearer the time worst case meet you at the end of the day for food.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #383 on: 09 November, 2021, 09:55:44 pm »

Thanks Ivo. Added to the list of possibilities.

There's a direct train connection from Eindhoven to Rotterdam. The amount of bikespots is very limited though (4-6 per train at the max).

Oscar's dad

« Reply #384 on: 10 November, 2021, 05:31:23 am »
I'm getting a bit worried by all this talk of an audax, you lot are obsessed!

« Reply #385 on: 10 November, 2021, 07:26:14 am »
I'm getting a bit worried by all this talk of an audax, you lot are obsessed!

In the spring we’ll put a route with options together. The main objective is to be cycling for 100-120km-ish each day, travelling through nice areas with some places of interest along the way. We’ll also look for options to decrease that distance slightly for those who are preferring a more sedate experience. If that audax fitted in for those who were so inclined, it might be an option. It would be a sideline, and will not dictate the route overall.

From previous experience we’ve found that generally the larger, cheaper hotels that can accommodate us and have food options nearby are in the larger towns. So places like Eindhoven are good in that respect.

« Reply #386 on: 10 November, 2021, 08:04:25 am »
To slightly contradict myself,  the Valkenswaard ride looks like a fine adventure.  The snag being it leaves a c. 150km ride back to ferry on the Sunday.

It is not the daily distance that concerns me, it is the balance between moving around the country and being able to stop and enjoy places, food, beer, etc and arrive in the destination town before dark.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Jes

« Reply #387 on: 10 November, 2021, 08:32:06 am »
... it leaves a c. 150km ride back to ferry on the Sunday.

Imagine the joyous lunch-time group photo that'll provide.... :facepalm:

« Reply #388 on: 10 November, 2021, 08:46:18 am »
The infamous "grumpy lunch" was one of the highlights for me - every picture tells a story 

« Reply #389 on: 12 November, 2021, 10:54:24 pm »
Ohh! This reads as type #1 fun could  I possibly tag along on my barrow?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #390 on: 13 November, 2021, 06:24:39 am »
Ohh! This reads as type #1 fun could  I possibly tag along on my barrow?

Of course!

« Reply #391 on: 15 November, 2021, 09:25:50 pm »
I've checked with Erik about the Valkenswaard ride. He's expecting about 50-100 riders, and is happy if some of us wanted to join in. No rush to enter. I'll check if anybody is interested when we put the touring route together in the spring, and can enter a small group of riders directly nearer the time, if that is what some people wanted to do.

I've also checked the distance, and its 140km to Hook of Holland from Eindhoven.

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #392 on: 14 January, 2022, 11:15:57 am »
I have handed my holiday slip in with plenty of time! So will book my ferry ticket for this once it has been approved  :).
ACME - Suffolk Branch

« Reply #393 on: 14 January, 2022, 11:43:30 am »
I am out.  One of my Xmas presents involves being in Glasgow that weekend.

At least now you can all ride 200km a day at 25kph plus  :-[

Oscar's dad

« Reply #394 on: 14 January, 2022, 11:45:53 am »

Not if I have anything to do with it!

« Reply #395 on: 14 January, 2022, 12:17:14 pm »

Nothing has changed ...

In the spring we’ll put a route with options together. The main objective is to be cycling for 100-120km-ish each day, travelling through nice areas with some places of interest along the way. We’ll also look for options to decrease that distance slightly for those who are preferring a more sedate experience. If that audax fitted in for those who were so inclined, it might be an option. It would be a sideline, and will not dictate the route overall.

felstedrider

« Reply #396 on: 14 January, 2022, 12:28:49 pm »

Nothing has changed ...

Ferry Thursday night.   Ride to Valkenswaard Fri.   200k Sat and back to the ferry Sunday ?   Quite like the sound of that.

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #397 on: 19 January, 2022, 08:04:12 am »
Just confirming I am in!

Booked the ferry this morning  :thumbsup:.
ACME - Suffolk Branch

« Reply #398 on: 19 January, 2022, 08:20:54 am »
Just confirming I am in!

Booked the ferry this morning  :thumbsup:.

Cool.

I've been looking at a couple of different route options. One looping around the north, and one heading south and skirting into Belgium. Both would allow a Friday night near Valkenswaard for those interested in the 200km Audax on the Saturday, but with a leisurely option for those more keen on sedate riding, cafes and such like.

As a reminder, I'm arranging the route as per the dates in my original post:

Acme Goes Dutch by psyclist, on Flickr

« Reply #399 on: 19 January, 2022, 11:44:42 am »
Just check this page for a number of semi official permanents of 100km starting at Valkenswaard: https://www.mybrevet.cc/nl/randonneursnl/brevet/100-km