Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 145157 times)

Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #1925 on: 28 February, 2022, 10:03:02 pm »
Congratulations. Seems a very well thought out process of getting out. I try but get derailed by news sources.

« Reply #1926 on: 01 March, 2022, 01:14:48 pm »
Cheers Chris.

I know that I have to have a routine otherwise I'll just roll over and go back to sleep. 

I do prefer the early run as it means the rest of the day is still open to me.  I baked sourdough* and did a few other odd jobs throughout the day.

*  This too requires planning as the starter needs to be fed twice over 24 hours prior to the mixing of the dough so that too has a routine.

I am trying to motivate myself out for my walk at the moment.  This is made easier by the arrival of a Weston Euro Master light meter.  I can take it out and play comparing it to a phone app that I have downloaded too.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1927 on: 07 March, 2022, 09:58:53 pm »
I actually went for a run today, for the first time this year. Probably the first time in six months. I'm so unfit! No surprise. Though probably not quite as run-unfit as when I first started in April 2020. Enjoyed it. Will go again later this week.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1928 on: 08 March, 2022, 06:51:00 am »
For various genuine and unavoidable reasons last week was hectic and I didn't get out for a week.  Yesterday I went out for a steady 6k.  Other than my heart rate being very slightly higher than normal the run was very routine.  I managed negative splits and felt very good.  No DOMS this morning either.

At last I seem to have recovered a level of base fitness. 

« Reply #1929 on: 09 March, 2022, 11:08:28 am »
Bless me, for I have sinned.

The weather has been shite, I've blocked my kayak in with building work and I stopped running before christmas.

Weight is ballooning (all my life people have looked at me and assumed I'm slim. Yes, but only with lots of exercise. Genes actually dictate otherwise).

Gained 3kg since the end of Jan. Currently 13kg over my racing fitness level in 2019.

Gradually, slowly, getting running again. Joints and tendons don't like it, and my legs get exhausted uphill. 2 runs last week.

Two so far this week, today with a 50mph gale (it is really weird, running down hill, leaning forward a long way and having to pump arms like I'm sprinting - and I'm hardly moving above a walk).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1930 on: 09 March, 2022, 03:33:05 pm »
I too failed to get out at the weekend but managed today.  Got 35 minutes in with 30 minutes of running.  Very important today as I was stuck in a chair at the desk all day.

« Reply #1931 on: 12 March, 2022, 03:56:54 pm »
There used to be a parkrun in the village, but it didn't restart after lockdown, largely due to its success. We were getting around 400 runners, plus marshals and spectators, at an NT property in a village of about 800 inhabitants. The course was getting rather worn, parking was a nightmare, and the traffic through the village just before nine was ridiculous.
But now we have a new local parkrun. It is a few miles away, but less than 15 minutes in the car. It actually started last week, but we were away, so this was our first time.
I had forgotten quite how much extra effort one can put in when running in a semi-competitive environment. I would have been fairly pleased with that time on my regular road 5k run. This was almost all on farm tracks which might have some grass in the summer, but at the moment are mostly mud.
My legs are telling me I've done something, but it was great to be back with the crowd.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #1932 on: 12 March, 2022, 05:41:08 pm »
Had to miss yesterday's run for something which turned out to be an utter waste of time. 

Planning to humble along the local dissused railway tomorrow morning and then prepare myself for the inevitable rejection email from the London Marathon ballot on Monday.

« Reply #1933 on: 14 March, 2022, 11:08:05 am »
And ......

No.

I'll not try again.  I don't have any clear plans at the moment.  I have been vaguely mulling over changing my exercise regime to something more mixed so it seems like a good time to give that more thought.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1934 on: 14 March, 2022, 04:02:20 pm »
Ditto here. I was hoping to get a place to provide some motivation, but I’ve currently got the excuse that I’ve got to get over teh plague first.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #1935 on: 14 March, 2022, 05:35:44 pm »
Well, I am currently laid low with a severe cold.  Tests show that it's not the plague so that's one good thing. 

I'm not throwing hope and money after London any more and I really can't be arsed at the moment to train beyond a half marathon.

« Reply #1936 on: 14 March, 2022, 06:49:42 pm »
I did a gentle 3km. I could feel where my calf has been sore, but my leg didn’t fall off. Progress, of a sort.

« Reply #1937 on: 15 March, 2022, 12:10:17 pm »
Skipped this morning's run. Actually lay in bed nursing mild migraine while cat dive bombed me from 4am onwards (she's actually very considerate and doesn't dive bomb until she hears me stirring).

Then doubled down by entering a running event. First time in 20 years (previously I did GNR a couple of times).

A 10mile slog through bog. Sounds dreadful, in a type 2 fun way.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1938 on: 17 March, 2022, 08:29:02 am »
Two runs this week so far. Turned on Strava for the first time in ages; well that was depressing. I'm about a min per km slower than same time last year.

Deity on a bike, I knew I'd got a bit lardy, but that is ridiculous.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1939 on: 21 March, 2022, 10:22:40 am »
One week down and I've completed all 3 scheduled runs. Finding it quite hard and hope my joints hold out.

I'm following a 'beginner to half marathon' plan, which has me running only 3 times a week.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1940 on: 21 March, 2022, 12:37:22 pm »
One week down and I've completed all 3 scheduled runs. Finding it quite hard and hope my joints hold out.

I'm following a 'beginner to half marathon' plan, which has me running only 3 times a week.
3 times a week seems reasonable, to me, for legs that aren’t used to running.
Does the frequency increase later on? Does it include cross training?

I’m toying with another half myself.

« Reply #1941 on: 21 March, 2022, 02:57:27 pm »

3 times a week seems reasonable, to me, for legs that aren’t used to running.
Does the frequency increase later on? Does it include cross training?

I’m toying with another half myself.
Non-running days are 'rest/cross-training'.   Frequency of running increases to 4 times a week, but two of those are short runs (3 - 5km).

I'm nursing an 'older' body with joints that don't take kindly to being hammered. Can run off-road a bit, but then it is very steep, which I find really strains achilles tendon.

Even road running isn't flat around here - 5km has about 100m of elevation gain. Constantly up and down.

The weekly mileage is fairly low, maxes out at 35km.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1942 on: 21 March, 2022, 05:10:00 pm »
World-class runner talking about motivation struggles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qA-Sl-xOmk
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1943 on: 22 March, 2022, 11:09:12 am »
I'm suffering my first dose of demotivation for two years.  It didn't help that I caught a bug two weeks back and then, whilst feeling low, opened the London Marathon rejection email. 

London make it worse by sending me a consolation training top which is exactly the same as last years save for a silly "shiny" badge sewn over the printed badge from last year.  The services of a skilled unpicker will be employed.  They then send me email offering me the chance to run a virtual marathon but the catch of course is they want more money for the privilege.

Every day not running my brane tells me how hard it will be tomorrow but that isn't making any difference at the moment. 

« Reply #1944 on: 22 March, 2022, 11:12:15 am »
I'm suffering my first dose of demotivation for two years.  It didn't help that I caught a bug two weeks back and then, whilst feeling low, opened the London Marathon rejection email. 

London make it worse by sending me a consolation training top which is exactly the same as last years save for a silly "shiny" badge sewn over the printed badge from last year.  The services of a skilled unpicker will be employed.  They then send me email offering me the chance to run a virtual marathon but the catch of course is they want more money for the privilege.

Every day not running my brane tells me how hard it will be tomorrow but that isn't making any difference at the moment.

The video I linked above talks about how difficult it is to get past the doorsill.

He tackles this by making himself go out for a 10 min run. If, at the end of 10 min he feels like carrying on, he does so. If he is still feeling demotivated, he goes home.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1945 on: 22 March, 2022, 11:15:47 am »
Yeah, I watched that.  My brane said, "Ten minutes?  Not worth the effort." and rejected that ploy.

Thanks for posting this anyway.  It has made me think about what's happening inside my head rather than just ignoring it so perhaps that will help reboot me.

« Reply #1946 on: 25 March, 2022, 09:32:04 am »
Pushed myself out this morn, 5.5km run scheduled. Hard at times (hills here are just one after the other), felt good about the run.

I'd paused strava when I put my phone in my pouch. No record of run, so don't know if my 'pushing' was faster than previous or not. buggerit

[edit] route was a bit wrong. Checked on g pedometer. Plan was to run 4.8 km, I picked a route I thought was just over 5km. Actually just over 6km with 120m of hills.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1947 on: 25 March, 2022, 11:27:55 am »
Guilt-tripping myself and talking about my lack of mojo seems to have worked.  I got out for early plods on Wednesday and this morning, both 6km runs.  They were slow but I don't care: they were runs.

I felt tired most of Wednesday but I feel fine today so I'm hoping that the fitness uptick is already rebooting.

I have set myself 3 runs a week as a target for April.

« Reply #1948 on: 25 March, 2022, 09:51:00 pm »
Good stuff PB.

I’ve managed a few runs again after a long time without. My plantar fasciitis is apparently much better, I think partly because I’m wearing lower and firmer shoes. Even managed 10 miles back from Sue’s Mum’s last weekend - slow but kept going:)

« Reply #1949 on: 26 March, 2022, 08:24:25 pm »
And today I’ve done 8 1/2 miles down the Nidd Gorge to Knaresborough and back.