Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 143070 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #1875 on: 01 December, 2021, 06:57:18 pm »
You didn't see Pingu's FB post on Sunday of our walk that turned into a scramble?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1876 on: 01 December, 2021, 07:08:12 pm »
Yes, I did.
Wasn't sure exactly which woods that was, I suspected the woods off the side of Counteswells Road near the reservoir, the Denwood, I think it's called?
The one that's got the shooting range hidden in it.
I was basing that on the power lines!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1877 on: 01 December, 2021, 07:35:47 pm »
The very same. It got worse after we turned back in the direction of home round the back of the firing range, that's where we ended up going way off the path.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #1878 on: 02 December, 2021, 12:12:13 pm »
Far far too treacherous under foot today to risk a run.  I'm feeling grumpy about that.  😢

« Reply #1879 on: 06 December, 2021, 01:57:30 pm »
I have not posted so frequently recently but the running is still going very nicely thank you.  I did a "quick for me" 8km yesterday and am settling in to the winter hard miles. 

I plan to plot a test route and try and let my Garmin navigate me.  If it works satisfactorily I can prepare a route or two for our seasonal stay with family should that still happen.  Fingers crossed.

And who knew that running tights were so good? 

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1880 on: 07 December, 2021, 07:32:34 am »
Kingshill Carnage

I set off with the intention of seeing what state the Kingshill 5k loop was in.
Not Runnable.

The approach from Countesswells is not viable. Beyond the car park, the main trails are rendered impenetrable by countless fallen trees.
The minor trails for the most part no longer exist. I crashed my way along minor trails and finally crossed into a field, from where I attempted to gain the main Kingshill track. This proved difficult, involving crossing barbed wire fences and dense gorse.

The main Kingshill loop initially appeared clear, but it was just playing with me. I made no more than a couple of hundred metres before the trail became once again impenetrable.

Fallen trees in vast number blocked passage of the trail, and I was forced to divert into the woods to pass behind the upturned roots. But having passed one, I was presented with a further three, like the heads of the Hydra.

Each tree that blocked my passage forced me deeper and deeper into the dense fallen woods. I felt almost a silent malice; as if the woods were a great injured beast licking it's wounds, resenting my very presence. It seemed to have bent all it's will against me as I fought to regain the track.

The track was only followable for short intervals, before I was once again forced into dense tree wreckage. In time I came to a farmer's field which I escaped into, leading to the Scottish Water access road, then down to the dual carriageway near the vet's practice. I left the woods at this point and followed the road back to my starting-point.

As a final sting in the tail, a flurry of snow borne on a vicious northerly wind whipped and chased me back to the car.

https://www.strava.com/activities/6329832316

Thats a bit of a bugger, I like running up there from the hotel, you could get some nice loops in around that forest
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #1881 on: 10 December, 2021, 03:44:11 pm »
Up to the third day in week 4 of Cto5K (for about the fifth time), and sidelined by calf strain (for about the fifth time) about 90 seconds into the first run. This is getting seriously annoying, especially as I have been studying form, concentrating on mid/forefoot strike under hips & relaxing feet and calves as much as possible. RICE beckons...

ElyDave

« Reply #1882 on: 19 December, 2021, 12:47:42 pm »
This running lark is coming back quicker than I expected, 10km today, 49:53.

Measured ketones pre and post at 2.1 pre, 1.3 post, so seems like I am using ketones, which might explain why I'm seeming to need less carbs for exercise recently

« Reply #1883 on: 30 December, 2021, 01:18:15 pm »
Well, it has been a very disappointing end to what has been a year of progression for me.  I last ran on Dec 16th and it was really difficult   I was also attacked by a dog on that run, third attack by dogs in December.  Not a great month!  Anyway, by the evening of 16th I was feeling quite unwell and am only just recovering.  Tests show that it isn't covid.

So, the stats:

In 2020 I recorded 117 runs and 745kms.  In 2021 I recorded 137 runs and 1,175kms.  My average distance has risen from 6.37 to 8.58 kms which I am very happy with.

I have lost 4kgs in weight as well which is nice but I would have liked it to have been more.

My current plan is to start 2022 with a new year's day parkrun bimble and then try to run every alternate day throughout the year.  I am also hoping to get close to 1,800 kms for the year.  There is a marathon entry awaiting confirmation in October but other than that nothing planned yet.

So folks, how has your 2021 unfolded and what are you hoping to achieve in 2022?

« Reply #1884 on: 31 December, 2021, 10:12:56 am »
168 runs for a total of 1216 km or thereabouts (includes warm-up and -down walks).
One bike ride.
Seeing an 'ideal' week is four runs, which would give a theoretical maximum of 208 runs, I don't think that's too bad.
Holidays and very bad weather (not at the same time) probably account for most of the missing ones.
Happy.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #1885 on: 31 December, 2021, 10:29:51 pm »
In my quest to restart with purpose after not running since Dec 16th due to illness I have signed up for the nannying Garmin half marathon plan.  I start with a five minute run tomorrow.  Well, we have to (re)start somewhere...

I guess that I will do the plan run and then do a 5k afterwards: perhaps even my first parkrun though not definitely.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1886 on: 01 January, 2022, 12:14:13 pm »
I am pleased with my consistent running - I managed to run 5k for each run I did (roughly 3 per week) between July and December.

These are my running statistics for 2021:

I'm slow and have only one real speed except in summer when I have a bit more oomph (I do well in the very hot weather).

Plan this year is to maybe have a bit more variety with routes which means longer distances, but I don't particularly want to get into longer distance running, it's just I may try to do 8km now and again (there is a good route for that from my house).

Cycling was only 2600km which is my lowest year since records began in 2008.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #1887 on: 01 January, 2022, 08:23:54 pm »
Infrequent and with some big gaps last year - 205km over 24 runs. More in 2022 is the plan.

« Reply #1888 on: 02 January, 2022, 10:09:50 am »
In my quest to restart with purpose after not running since Dec 16th due to illness I have signed up for the nannying Garmin half marathon plan.  I start with a five minute run tomorrow.  Well, we have to (re)start somewhere...

I guess that I will do the plan run and then do a 5k afterwards: perhaps even my first parkrun though not definitely.

Well, family stuff got in the way but I will start today.  I am very nervous about running again after 17 whole days of no exercise and a hefty dose of winter cold / flu to boot.

Has to be done...

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1889 on: 02 January, 2022, 10:36:08 am »
Started the year with my longest ever run, 10.4K.

Looking forward to having an extra-large slice of cheesecake as I burned 600 calories.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #1890 on: 02 January, 2022, 10:59:00 am »
Started the year with 3.8kms on couchto5k again.  It has taken this long for my sprained ankle to feel strong enough that running would not interfere with my cycling.  It was lovely to get out on a cooler morning onto very muddy fields.  Soft underfoot was good for there ankle with a bit of slipping to reassure me that it was strong again.

hopefully get back to some regular running to reinforce and support the cycling

« Reply #1891 on: 03 January, 2022, 07:26:11 am »
Blimey: do I have DOMS today or what ??? 

I think that I'll do some stretching today and a longer, leisurely walk. 

Excellent work AH, perfect start to 2022.

I seriously contemplated starting C25K again Chris.  Good luck and take it easy.

« Reply #1892 on: 04 January, 2022, 08:19:23 pm »
I have completed my first two runs in the Garmin coach plan to get me to half marathon distance in 17 weeks.  Week 1 had just one run, the benchmark run which was only 9 minutes.  Today's run was a strides and glides session lasting less than 27 minutes in total. 

As I am still recovering really from my winter cold / flu I am grateful to not be hitting hour plus sessions just now but realise that they must be coming if I am to get to half marathon distance by April.

Still, it's a better recovery / restart plan than I could have conceived myself so I am not complaining.

ElyDave

« Reply #1893 on: 07 January, 2022, 11:40:47 am »
This week so far, 7km easy on the dreadmill and a tempo run with 20 mins at 10k pace. Long run on Sunday will be 12-14km. I need to learn to pace the long runs again.

Mixing it in with some cycling as well, but only two turbo sessions so far this week. Rest day today

« Reply #1894 on: 17 January, 2022, 12:28:20 pm »
Tenerife has had one of its periodic storms and I dislike ascending and descending (especially) in 30km/hr with 45km/hr gusts and overtaking traffic!  So I got out for a run.  did a 1 hour run consisting of 2 days of C25k and 7.5km distance.  Should get another couple of runs in if the weather stays as bad as this!

« Reply #1895 on: 17 January, 2022, 07:23:15 pm »
The car was being MOT'd today, so I took the opportunity to run back from the garage. Less than 5k, including a five minute warm up at the beginning.
Nice to be running somewhere different. Although I love where I live and my regular routes are really nice, a change is always good.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #1896 on: 18 January, 2022, 08:07:47 am »
That makes me curious. How much variety in routes do we find?
Most of my running is on paths in preference over paving. I have: up the river (gets muddy), up Caburn (a local hill), down the river (gets muddy), towards Kingston (and a steep ridge), towards Ditchling beacon*. There’s some variety to be had within each of those, but a run in any given direction is more the same than it’s different.
I used to have a couple of seafront runs as well when I went into the office, but not so much now.

* there and back is about a half marathon, so not out of the question later in the year. Though I’d approach along the ridge, not up the road with the cyclists!

« Reply #1897 on: 23 January, 2022, 07:42:10 pm »
A quite pleasant 9k today, some undulation, some fields, but nothing gratuitous. I felt less lumpen than I have the last few weeks, which was nice, though strava failed to find anything notable about it.

« Reply #1898 on: 23 January, 2022, 08:23:36 pm »
Week 2, run 3 done with an extra 2 minutes at the end.

« Reply #1899 on: 31 January, 2022, 01:28:36 pm »
Well, that has been a tough month.  Having been ill over Christmas I clearly tried to run again too soon.  It was incredibly hard and dispiriting.  I thought at one stage that I would be back to C25K but thankfully that has not been necessary.  Longest run on the month was 13km this past Sunday.  Very very pleased with that.

I opted for a Garmin coach training plan but that went tits up pretty quickly after I somehow managed to end it after only four runs.  Don't know how I did it but what is more frustrating is that Garmin's world beating software is incapable of letting you undo such errors.  Really annoying.

I put myself back on my own routine and have bumbled through the month gradually feeling stronger though nowhere near how I was back in mid December. 

I noticed last week that I might just make 100km for the month if I tack on an extra 1k to each of my final three sessions this month: so I did. 

I feel very tired but also very pleased with how recovery is going.  I'm planning to consolidate where I am now through February.  I am running on alternate days and have a 4 run / 8 day routine which I intend to follow.  I'm hoping for mild weather.

How is everybody else getting on?